“Fantastic resort”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was our first trip to an all inclusive in years and our first trip to the Dominican. We do not have any other resorts to compare it to but my fiancé and I had a wonderful time. We booked it for 10 days and never got bored. The swim up room was great!!! There was always something to do (even for two 65 year olds). The grounds were immaculate and they worked hard to keep it that way. The staff was all so friendly and helpful. We were constantly entertained by Akron, Charlie Brown, Milky Way, Karon and Cinthia and their fearless leader Fidal. They worked tirelessly to make sure that everyone was having a good time. If you did not find enough to do it was your own fault. We spent hours lounging on the beach in our chairs under the palm trees. Take note Florida beaches--this resort had someone working all day each day cleaning up the seaweed on the beach!!! We appreciated all the extras like that that went along with our stay. Juana and Patricia were our servers on the beach--kudos to them for their attention to us. Our room was kept spotless and maintained with everything we needed. The food was good in both our restaurants and in the NOW resort that was connected to our resort. The big decision for each day was where we were going to eat!!!! The only negative was the lighting in the rooms but we finally got used to it. If you have been here and not been pleased then you cannot be made happy. Excellente job to Secrets!!!

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are the way to go!!!!!
4  Thank Jamie J
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Jamie S:
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of our entire personnel of Secrets Royal Beach
Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We also appreciate and value your ideas, suggestions and appreciations.
Also we have congratulated those whose service contributed in your happiness.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again; please feel free to contact us prior your next visit
With best regards

There are newer reviews for Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Husband and I took a vaca to Secrets Royal Beach. This was our first Secrets resort and we were very pleased!! We did Sandals in St Lucia for our Honeymoon in 2010- and while Sandals is much better- Secrets did not disappoint.

ANGEL at the pool bar is GREAT! Dont let him talk you into the Mama Juana shots though- they will knock you out! We tipped him $10 each day and he took really good care of us. Added "mucho rum" into our drinks and made sure we had plenty of refills. And he was really funny!

The entertainment team was so fun. Milky Way, Cinthia, Karen, Akon were great and really made sure everyone got involved. Lots of awesome activities each day. It really helped you to socialize with other guests which was fun. The entertainment team always had big smiles on their faces and made sure we all were laughing.

Food was okay- not great. Salty. It was nice to have Now Larimar resort attached to have a few more options.

The beach and pool were beautiful. The resort was IMMACULATE! I never saw even a speck anywhere on the grounds. The staff took great care of the grounds.

The rooms were nice and big. However, the lighting was awful! Was very dark in the rooms. Made it hard to apply make up in the evening when you lost the sun light. But the rooms were basic and nice and large. No real complaints there other than lack of light. Other guests had the same complaint.

Overall, it was a great vacation and my husband and I were sad to leave! I would definitely visit another Secrets resort!!

3  Thank JenR300

Dear JenR300
Thank you for took your time for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay in our resort. It is such a pleasure to hear that you had a great experience in every way!!
I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your candid comments and for choosing Secrets Royal Beach, above other hotels, for your holidays. We have congratulated all the personnel whose service contributed in your happiness.
Once again Thank you so much for your positive feedback and will be glad if we can welcome you back soon.

Kind Regard

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Staff did not communicate with each other in regards to Guest needs and request. Food lacked taste and flavor I've had excellent food at Resort Spa's before but in my opinion you could find better tasting food at a Deli then the Secret Royal Resort nothing was authentic to the island most of the meals tasted as if it came out of a box or mix nothing was fresh or local. Room smelled and bed linens had a filmy feel to it. not sure if they washed sheets daily.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank floralnat2002

Dear floralnat2002
We truly regret to read that your holidays were not completely satisfying as we aim.
Please receive our apologies for the inconveniences you might have encountered during your visit. Our main goal is to provide the best vacation experience to our valuable costumers .We truly regret that you left our premises with an opposite idea in your mind.
Please feel free to contact us if you decide to give us a second chance to show you the way we care about our customers.
Best regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I traveled here in April for one and had a great time! We went for our anniversary and emailed the resort prior to going to let them know. When we arrived there was a banner on our door, and champagne and fruits waiting for us in the room.

We haven't been to any other Secrets resort but have been to other five star resorts in the Caribbean. I loved the size of the resort....it didn't take any longer than 2 or 3 minutes to get to the beach or restaurants. The resort grounds were very clean and well kept.

As for the restaurants, the food was fantastic. I don't understand how people can complain about the food. Breakfast has lots of options, we had lunch at the beach bbq every day and the chicken was amazing. We had dinner at all the restaurants on the Secrets side and they were all great but our favourite was the Seaside Grill. The only thing we didn't like was the sushi at the Japanese restaurant.

The pools were nice but we didn't spend much time there....it was more of a party crowd. We spent every day at the beach and it was very quiet and the water was beautiful. The service was great....they came by every few minutes to see if we wanted a drink.

The rooms were very nice....not the nicest rooms I've stayed in but still pretty nice. They were very spacious. The bed was super comfortable. We had a ground floor room with a terrace facing the inside of the resort. The terrace was nice but next time I would pay extra and get a swim up.

We didn't really go over to the Now side and never felt like we were next to a family resort. There was always security to make sure that no one from the Now side came to the Secrets side.

I can't say enough about the service at this resort. All the staff were super friendly, always smiling, always willing to help. We were beyond impressed with the service.

As for the unlimited vacation club that people mention, we were never approached by anyone regarding this during our entire one week stay.

The entertainment was also good....especially the circus night.

Overall we had a fantastic experience and can't really find anything to complain about. The resort is not a very opulent and luxurious resort but it is still quite nice. I would definitely go back to this resort and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that do not face the service road.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ani G
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Ani G:
Thanks for sharing with us your recent stay at the Secrets Royal Beach. For us it is an honor to have customers like you, we love to know that we have exceeded your expectations, and yours husband ones, and both enjoyed your anniversary. With pleasure, we will communicate to all staff on your behalf, your words of encouragement and love.
Best regards

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed for 5 nights. We have been to resorts in Mexico, Virgin Islands, and the Dominican but this resort is by far the best weve been to. It all started with Jesus at the front desk. He was so helpful and informative. I actually got a little intoxicated one night and left our walkie talkie that we used to communicate with another couple we traveled with in one of the chairs at the resort and magically Jesus calls me the next day saying that they had it at the front desk waiting. The food was AMAZING. I am the type that gets sick at most non US destinations so I rarely eat foods that are outside my comfort zone, but at this place I felt comfortable eating everything because it was just so darn good. My best bud was Wilki who worked over at the Larimar. They need to make him a supervisor. He has the best attitude and understands just how to get people to relax and feel important. The room was good not great but who goes to the dominican for the room? The bed was very comfortable but I would have liked the tub to be inside instead of out on the balcony. The beach and the beach service was much more than I expected. I would say that the USVI offers a better view but you dont get near the ammenities that you get here. All four of us give this 5 stars and we will be back next year and bring the kids to the larimar sister hotel. Thank you Secrets for such a great time!

3  Thank Clint D
HotelManagerSERPC, Gerente at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Clint D
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We congratulated on your behalf our personnel of Secrets Royal Beach, for helping to make your stay memorable. We will look forward to welcoming you back again. In our hotel we are honoured to have customers like you.
Comments like yours give us strength to continue on our way, thank you for your warm words of support and encouragement, your message will be communicated to all staff to share the joy I felt when reading it.
Thanks again.
Warm regards

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Interesting! My review was deleted. I wrote to warn you all about the Unlimited Vacation club, Please feel free to private message me so I can fill you in! This resort does NOT compare to other Secret Resorts. The food, rooms, service, they are all poor in comparison. I purchased the vacation club as I thought I was getting something of value. Secrets Royal Beach is no where near 5 stars, maybe 3 at best! I think my review was deleted as I spoke the truth about the Vacation club they sell you. I have the silver membership, any one want to buy it from me? Didn't think so!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank KSKM

Dear KSKM
We regret your unconformities with TA, we just want to clarify that the comments are removed or not under its criteria and that no individual or company has no such power.
Also we are sorry about your experience with third parties, but just wanted to clarify that this may not be the right forum for that and the main function of this tool is to talk about the hotel and its operations, so we will keep only with that part of your review and thank you for your point of view and apologizing for not reaching your expectations.
Respectfully,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My partner and I spent last week at Secrets Royal Beach for a friend's wedding. Secrets (and its sister property NOW Larimar) are incredibly beautiful and sprawling resorts with lush gardens and pools that seem to go on forever. They are also highly secured properties that seem to exist in their own worlds, which can be good or bad depending on the resort experience you want. I gave the resort a three star rating because I place an incredible premium on service at an all inclusive resort and I felt it was very hit or miss at Secrets (more on that later). I will also give full disclosure that I absolutely love Mexico and the overall ambience of the DR just didn't do as much for me as Mexico does. With that said....here are my pros and cons for Secrets Royal Beach:

PROS:

-As I said above, this property is INCREDIBLY beautiful. None of the hotels in Punta Cana are allowed to be taller than the palm trees so you don't have high rise hotels around blocking the sun (the days seem to last forever) or cluttering the beach. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and clean with staff members constantly out cleaning and improving the grounds.

-Some of the servers and staff members were AMAZING. They included Nelson at the beach grill, who was absolutely one of the best employees I have encountered at any resort anywhere and took total pride in his job, Fernando at the pool bar, and the hostess at the Riviera buffet who always greeted us with a smile and even waved at us when we weren't eating at Riviera. They definitely made up for some of the employees I'll talk about later in the resort.

-My friend's beachfront wedding was absolutely beautiful and even though there were lots of people watching on the beach, the wedding seemed very intimate and was incredibly well done.

-The sushi restaurant and the seafood restaurant (Oceana) were great and had wonderful ambiance with great service.

-The room was beautiful and spacious, with a great bathroom and a large outdoor balcony with a hot tub. The beds were also incredibly comfortable and probably caused us to spend more time in bed than we originally planned on :-)

-The entertainment team did a great job and the Titanic number at the end of the pool show on Thursday was definitely unforgettable.

-The courtyards at both resorts were nice gathering spots at the end of the day and were nice for conversation when there wasn't a loud show going on.

-Unlike some resorts, there were plenty of spots where you could duck in and get some air conditioning such as the lobbies and some of the bars.

CONS:

-Upon our arrival at the resort we were totally confused by the bellman process (they hold your bags while you check in then you have to go back to walk with the bellman to have your bags delivered). I either want my bags delivered to my room without me having to worry about it at all or I want to take my bags myself. We were also hit up for more tips by the bellman who told us our tip wasn't enough. That's totally tacky and if I didn't fear having my room trashed while we were away I would have reported him. This put a bad taste in our mouths right at the very beginning of the trip.

-The NOW resort next door is nicer, in my opinion, than the Secrets resort and had more options around the pool and in terms of entertainment than Secrets did. The lobby of the NOW side was also much nicer and more entertaining in the evening than the Secrets side. I didn't see any of the rooms at NOW, but I have a feeling we paid a premium for the "adults only" aspect of the reosrt, and for access to both resorts.

-I would break down the service levels at the resorts to 80% mediocre, 10% excellent, and 10% downright awful. Many of the staff members begrudgingly acknowledged your presence or seemed to be put off by your requests. They also seemed to be VERY hesitant to go out of the way for any "special requests". I've never heard the word NO so much at any resort I've been to and I was definitely not the only person voicing this concern.

-The dress codes in the restaurants are overly restrictive. In the heat of the summer, a nice pair of dress shorts and a polo or button down shirt is considered "dress attire" and was definitely nicer than some of the "acceptable" clothes I saw people wearing in restaurants. To put it this way, I saw a gentleman wearing warmup pants and tennis shoes in one restaurant and this was considered "acceptable" whereas a nice pair of shorts and a polo short would have landed me outside with the "steerage".

-The pool is very large and meandering, but there are VERY few chairs around the pool at Secrets. The now side has tons of loungers and theirs are nicer, but the sprawling nature of the Secrets pool has severely limited the number of lounge chairs available, especially lounge chairs in the sun. I would be very confident saying that 75% of the lounge chairs at Secrets are located under some form of shade. Great when you're married to a ginger, like I am, but a lot of people come to the DR for the sun.

-The wait staff at the breakfast buffet was pretty horrid. You were incredibly lucky if you got a refill of coffee without tracking someone down, who then gave you a dirty look. Orange juice (rarely cold) was the drink of choice at the resort and don't even think about asking for a Diet Coke (Coca-Cola Light) or some other drink that would require any effort to obtain. Another experience where we were regularly told NO outright or promised something that never came.

-There is a certain level of segregation at Secrets that is pretty disturbing and is something I haven't encountered much of in Mexico. There is a "Preferred" side at Secrets which has their own separate pool, separate bar, separate restaurants, etc. They even had a guard at the NOW entrance standing there at a door that said PREFERRED making sure the riff raff stayed out. I definitely did not get this resort at a bargain and I'll be damned if I was going to be shelling out $90/day to be treated the way I should have been treated in the first place.

-The sprawling nature of the resort also means that your chances of getting a view of the ocean is slim to none. This didn't bother me much because we weren't in the room much, but don't go in with high hopes of an ocean view or even a pool view room unless you're willing to shell out the big bucks.

Please don't let this review seem like I hated every aspect of this trip, because much of it was wonderful. I enjoyed spending a week with my partner and our friends, but the cons of this resort definitely outweighed the pros. I'll be returning to my beloved Mexico for my next trip and will not be recommending this property to people looking for a resort in the DR, but I will bring back good memories of the experience I had there with people I love.

7  Thank Illinifan08

Dear Illinifan08
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments to us regarding your stay. We were concerned to learn we did not completely fulfil your expectations and we deeply regret the inconveniences you encountered.
As a service oriented company, our objective is not only to fulfil, but also surpass our guest's expectations; therefore we put our greatest interest into your opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest's experiences play a key role in this continuous process.
Again, we do value your comments very much and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Regards,