“Honeymoon Poor Start But Soon Made Up with Excellente Staff”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon Poor Start But Soon Made Up with Excellente Staff”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We visited Royal Secrets Punta Cana for our Honeymoon June 2014.

Airport
Make sure you take a pen as we didn't and once you collect your bags you descend on chaos as they make you complete a baggage declaration before you can exit the airport and if like us you arrive with two other planes you are ram jammed into hundreds of people. Why they don't allow you to complete these on the plane is beyond me but just be prepared for this part of your dream holiday!

Bad Start
I will get this out of the way as we while it was disappointing we didn't let it ruin our honeymoon. We arrived at hotel greeted with champagne and provide our room information. However I had asked for a top floor room with king size bed. What we got was a ground floor room with single beds which was not set-up with honeymoon extras and had not been cleaned also looked over the staff service road. Basically total let down there was only one bath robe; no slippers; no toiletries; stains on the couch; light fitting hanging down; hairs all over the toilet door and smelled of damp plus mirror was full of condensation. What made it worse for us is when I went to explain to reception state of room they said I would have to wait two days for room I had requested or I could upgrade for 100us per person! Needless to say there was some heated discussions with manager being called who moved us to new room although still on ground floor but room was to correct standard you would expect for this hotel. I then took up the issue with rep next day and she got us sorted with room we should have had on arrival. I think what happened is we ended up in a room that had been kept on by its previous occupants for late check-out and they had forgot to re-clean it. All I will say is if you are not happy with room on arrival make sure you get the room you want as if your staying like us for 2 weeks it makes a big difference to your experience.

Rooms
Apart from the first two the final room we got was great in block 5. Excellent bathroom facilities with big shower; outdoor Jacuzzi; large living area; free safe ad room is air conditioned. Air conditioning did breakdown on us after first week but once you report it at reception it gets fixed in matter of hours. Mini bar is topped up daily with 4 beers; 4 waters ; 2 cokes ; 1 diet coke; 1 sprite; 2 orange; m and m's; crisps and tonic water if you need anymore just get room service. Ice machines located in corridors. If on honeymoon you will get fresh flowers; champagne; honeymoon sign; fresh fruit and Jacuzzi prepared with oils and rose petals.

Exceptional choice of food and excellent quality. We tried all of the restaurants and Mecure the french restaurant on the Now Larimar side is superb; dishes are delicious; staff exceptional and ambiance of the restaurant is perfect...do not stay at this resort and miss out on trying this restaurant. In terms of formal dress I wondered what this would actually entail as I was worried I would have to get suited as if I was going to work which is not really what you want to do on holiday! However it is more elegant than formal dress for the a la carte restaurants I wore chinos and casual short sleeved shirt with canvas shoes and for women just a nice holiday/evening dress. All the other restaurants were excellent we tended to try the a la carte restaurants in the evening and use the buffet one for breakfast and dinner but couple of nights done buffet when you just feel like dressing casual and chilling out! Also mention Spice where you need to book at reception if you want a seat to watch chefs cook meal. One tip as some people fell for this when you dine at the a la carte restuarants they will provide you a wine menu you do not need to buy a bottle of wine you can ask for a glass of wine as part of your all inclusive some couples were buying bottles not realising they could have the normal wine.

Pool
Fantastic pool when we were there the resort was busy but you could easily get sunbeds around the pool at 9am without playing the towel game. Also you get your beach towels included which is located a couple of feet from the pool bar they neglect to tell you this at reception on check-in. The pool is fantastic we tended to stay in lazy river areas rather then the pool bar areas as if from UK the USA guests tend to gather in that area and it gets loud! The foam party is excellent make sure you join in! You have staff coming round at least every hour to provide you drinks. Also if you hear a strange noise as if a cat is in distress it isn't its just guy who cleans the pool early morning reliving his boredom!

Beach
Exceptional beach although felt sorry for staff who stood all day cleaning up sea weed to make it look perfect! Sea is amazing to cool off and relax; plenty of sunbeds; also I felt the beach bar done the best cocktails compared with pool bar. Tip: You are allowed to use the canoes for free at the hotel water centre.

Entertainment
Something else they neglect to say at reception is if you join in the day activities you get vouchers which you can then use to bid at the hotel auction for items such as massages! So if staying for two weeks join in and save vouchers as you have good chance of getting something in second week. The team were excellent worked tirelessly to please people. My only comment on why I could not give excellent is they don't do a two week programme so basically you get the same shows as the first week! But this is not a reflection on the standard of the shows or the people as they are excellent. What I also liked is I didn't have to worry about getting dragged up on stage to participate as the Americans fight to get up there Excellente!

Bars
Bar staff are excellent constantly bringing you drinks they would not let your beer get empty without bringing you a new one that is how attentive they are. Also watch out for them getting you on the local Mama Juana special drink have too many and you will pay for it the next day! Also watch out how much you tip as sometimes we ended up with pure alcohol no mixers lethal!

Excursions
We done dolphins although I warn you now what they neglect to advise when booking is the extra cost of the photos and for the dolphins it is a rip off. We had to pay 100 dollars for CD with 20 photos on and two photos with sea lions. Also if you have more in your group price goes up! Basically the trip is chaotic you get not even half an hour with the dolphin plus lots of waiting around. You could get two excursions for price of the dolphin trip. We done para sailing that was great you pay 40 US dollars for photos also don't take bag like we done it will get wet! We also done horse back riding on beach although I do feel sorry for horses I think you have to remember by doing the excursion you are helping look after them. You get about two hours the tour is fantastic and photos were again out 30 us dollars. We also done helicopter tour and as first time in helicopter it was excellent stunning views and you take pictures and they will use your camera to take pictures for you so no extra. We also done private dining on beach cost 120 us dollars each but you get vouchers on arrival and get 60 us dollars off.

Currency
We took pesso however wish I had just tool the US dollar as that is what everything is priced in as it is US hotel.

Wi-Fi
60 USD for 7 days and it was ok speed not great though but you could get it anywhere in hotel and on the hotel beach.

Tipping
I didn't really know what to do here as problem is you have so many people serving you and they are all excellent. So this is how I tipped but I think it depends on your funds and don't be daft as you need to spend your money first on excursions you want to do before you start giving it away. Also don't get caught up in some of the tip discussion boards on the web with Americans who tip for preferred service and because they only stay average 3-4 days not 14 days like UK! I tipped the maid 200 pesso every other day - the night maid ad hoc - if staying all day around the pool I tipped 200 pesso to the pool waiter but if just couple of hours after getting back of excursion no tip - buffet restaurant evening 100-150 pesso - a le carte 200-300 pesso depending on service level - evening waiter at plaza area 150-200 pesso - luggage staff 1 USD per case - I know some who tipped different people all I would say is be careful and make sure you spend the money you earned on you first then give kindness away if you can afford it...but don't feel obliged to tip everyone you meet as all the staff provided excellent service. It would be better if you could leave a tip at end of your stay that you know is shared across all staff at hotel but it just doesn't work like that unfortunately. When you leave the hotel you complete a feedback survey and at the bottom it asks who your favorite employee was and from what I understand the employee with most votes gets an extra 3 days off I chose not to complete that question as it was impossible to single one employee.

Travel Company
I traveled with First Choice and also upgraded to preferred club and it was worth it getting trough airport security in minutes and service and meals you get on-board. Also a special mention to our rep Bianna who was superb really nice; friendly lady who told truth about resort and excursions and always available on mornings to say hello. But watch out on welcome meeting she had our group all drunk by 11am the bar opens at 10am! Also make sure you start the day with a Mimosa! prefect refreshing drink but Jennifer at lobby bar does the best ones give a tip on this ocassion to get perfect start to the day!

Not alot else I can really add well worth the money paid...amazing staff....you get to use Now Larimar but then retreat to more quiet surrounding of the Royal Secrets while they cant cross!....if like me from UK as per some other UK reviews beware Americans are very loud especially mid day when they are hammering the pool bar also they can be quite rude to staff which annoyed me and yes they run up and down the corridors at 1am screaming like kids the after effects of the rum....basically they have a reputation in Dominican Republic as we do when visiting Greece or Spain!...Dominican's love the British they love our manners and nature I think we are a welcome relief! Ohh also be prepared for a lot of high fives and as per one American guest he was looking forward to visiting the UK next year for the Olympics...enough said!

Finally don't let bad reviews put you off as yes I agree some people might have experienced a bad service at some point in their holiday as we did when it started but they might let that ruin their holiday and not give a fair reflection on the actual total experience. For those who think this hotel is poor well they must be paying twice as much elsewhere to better this experience! Your get for what you pay for simple!

Room Tip: Block 4 is excellent but is near plaza where they have entertainment until 12 but really you cant he...
6 Thank stevenufc200721
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear stevenufc200721
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of the entire personnel of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, in our hotel we are honored to have customers like you thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay!
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and on your name we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
We look forward to seeing you again
Cordially
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,559)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Austin, TX
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A few tips I wish I knew before traveling to the Dominican Republic:
- Very few people speak english, and those that do can only speak common phrases.
- If you don't speak spanish, bring a translation tool or dictionary. It will help tremendously.
- If you are used to the type of service you would receive in the States or Mexico, you will be greatly disappointed.
- People here have strong feelings about those who are not strictly heterosexual - be careful
- People here can generally be trusted. The biggest problem you will face are when dealing with the tour companies and hotel staff. Any discount coupons you receive or "special deals" you are offered are usually not what they seem.
- This is not a snorkel/dive destination. If you are traveling here for either of these you will be disappointed.
- Much of the island is dirtier (lots of trash, lack of respect for environment) and less developed than most Caribbean destinations.

Ok, back to the hotel review:

My wife and I spent 7 nights at this hotel during the month of June 2014.

Pros:
- Clean
- Food was really good (for an all-inclusive)
- Facilities are high quality
- The spa is very expensive or nice

Bad:
- Some hotel staff were very rude and upsetting
- Experienced several incidents where service was sub-par
- Only one of the bars (the one in the lobby) has a selection of high quality beers and liquors. The other bars have mostly house liquor and a mexican beer served on tap in tiny cups.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dougfarre
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear dougfarre
We truly regret to read that your holidays were not completely satisfying as we aim. And you did not find the Dominican Republic a nice country to stay.
Please receive our apologies for the inconveniences you might have encountered during your visit. Our main goal is to provide the best vacation experience to our valuable costumers .We truly regret that you left our premises with an opposite idea in your mind. and that your vision of our country affected so much on your vision of our resort.
Please feel free to contact us if you decide to give us a second chance to show you the way we care about our customers.
Best regards,
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We just returned from our amazing honeymoon at Secrets Punta Cana booked with Lesley at Travel Designers in London.
We took the BA flights and even with the touch down in Antigua we would use them again as service was fabulous. We took a private transfer from the airport, waiting for cases took an age and we were still among the first out of the airport, I would not have wanted to wait for others so glad we done this.
We were welcomed warmly at resort and checked in quickly with a cold glass of champagne - a great start to our honeymoon.
We had paid extra to upgrade to a swim up room and it was great! We were able to sit on our loungers and were brought drinks all day by the pool team. Plus we did not have to play the towel game that was clearly evident. We were close by the steps into the pool and were able to pull our beds into the sun and our balcony kept in the shade to keep cool, perfect location! Our room was well kept by the maids and they were super friendly whenever we saw them.
The lunch bbq was superb and Nelson and another man kept us entertained as well as serving us for lunch.
We didn't like the buffet for dinner so ate at a different restaurant each night - The Mexican, Italian and Spice at Now were our favourites. Sometimes we did feel rushed in the restaurants and if we asked what a dish was received it rather than the explanation. Room service was superb, the chicken was very well cooked and tasty.
Evening entertainment is not our thing and we tended to be eating when shows were on but there was always lots of people sat waiting so I can only presume the shows were good.
The sand on the beach is the softest I have ever felt the beach was amazing.
The staff at Secrets all worked very hard to ensure we were looked after for our honeymoon and I would return again.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are wonderful especially located in block 4
4 Thank LouiseDartford2014
Dear LouiseDartford2014
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana; and on your behalf we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
Critics like yours, allow us to see the hotel from the point of view of the customer, and see through your eyes as you lived your holiday also you help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays
pgh, pa
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at Secrets Royal Beach, Punta Cana, from May 24-31. We travelled as a group of 13 to celebrate my parents' 40th Wedding Anniversary :0)

Ride from the airport is about 20-25 minutes. Staff greeted us with cold towels & a glass of champagne. Check-in was easy, our room was ready. (We arrived at about 1 pm, so we weren't expecting anyone's rooms to be ready, so a nice surprise!). Our room was 5214, building 5, room 214 (2nd floor). We had a tropical view room, nothing special about the view. Jacuzzi on the balcony. Nice sized balcony. Room was big, you get slippers & a robe, a plate of cookies, an apple & we got a bottle of rum. There is a nice little mini bar fridge. Stocked with Presidente, Presidente Light, Coke/Diet Coke, Waters, OJ. We had no issues with our fridge, but others in our party said theirs did not work. Restocked daily for us. We had a king-sized bed, sitting area with small couch & chair & table. Bathroom is large, 2 sinks, huge shower, separate toilet area w/ door. We had 2-4 towels on any given day. Housekeeping staff did a great job every day! Left us the schedule of activities at the resort daily as well as Hershey kisses :0) The only issue we had with our room was the TV remote stopped working. However, we didn't even mention it as we weren't there to watch TV!!!

Beach is BEAUTIFUL!!! Sand is very soft, not hot. Water is a nice temperature, lots of palm trees. Yes, there is seaweed, but the staff works all day long raking it up & taking it away in a wheelbarrow. Seaweed is a natural occurrence & the resort staff works extremely diligently to remove it throughout the day :0) Members of our group utilized the kayaks, wind sailing boats & snorkeling, all of which were great. Beach bar is awesome & Patricia, who was pretty much our waitress all week, was AWESOME!!! Very sweet & pleasant, spent time talking with our entire group of 13! There are tons of mini thatched huts on the resort's property. I would say that at least one of us got a hut every day, if not more. And we were out at the beach anytime between 8-10 am.

Pool was great!!! Swim-up bar & upper level pool bar were great. Ishmael was great, very attentive at the swim-up bar. And Derby was great, always singing & smiling :0) We managed to save a couple of chairs daily. And again, we didn't get to the pool til after 9 am most days.

Activities & Entertainment staff are wonderful!!! Special thanks & shout-outs to Cinthia, Milky Way, Eddie Murphy, Akon & Charlie Brown! We participated in water & beach aerobics, rum tasting, egg & water balloon tosses, beach & pool volleyball, Olympic games & dance lessons while there. There is no pressure to participate, and it's fun just to watch at times! The staff will come around & encourage you to participate but it's all in good fun, and like I said, NO PRESSURE! You earn "Secrets Bucks" by participating in certain activities. They have an auction on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays, where you can bid on items. We won a golf shirt & bottle of champagne. You will need in excess of $15,000 Secrets bucks to win things, however! Our group pooled all of our money at the end of the week :0)

I thought the food was pretty good. The buffet at breakfast was great, made to order omelets, yogurts, fruit, eggs, Belgian waffles, pancakes, crepes, sausage, hashbrowns, pastries. Lunch & dinner were both good at the buffet as well. You can get a variety of meat & fish grilled & that was great! We ate at the beach grill as well. Most in our group loved the chicken; they have hamburgers, hot dogs & French fries as well. We ate at the steakhouse & seafood place at Secrets as well. I loved the seafood restaurant. At the steakhouse, my grilled chicken was really dry & didn't come with the side dishes on the menu. We also made a reservation for Spice, the Hibachi restaurant over on the NOW Larimar side. That was great! We sat at one of the reserved tables where they cook right in front of you :0) The food was great. We made our reservation on Sunday, and got in on a Thursday, definitely make a reservation at the beginning of your stay! I was not impressed with the desserts overall. A little bland. The Dominican coffee they serve at night is AWESOME!!! A must-try! The staff in the buffet restaurant are wonderful. They refilled our coffee & OJ almost as soon as it was gone. Everyone very friendly, especially Josephina, who always directed us to where the rest of our party was :0)

Drinks are plentiful all day long. I thought the Presidente beer was good. I also tried the Guaracha, that was delicious & very refreshing (it's vodka, lime juice, mint & a little sugar). We sometime asked for "un poco mas" vodka/rum/etc & the staff obliged. All you had to do was ask for a "a little more" alcohol & no problem.

We watched some of the shows in the plaza at night, they were pretty good. We went to the nightclub, Eclipse, over at the NOW side. That was fun!! We also hit the casino a couple of times, small, but my cousin did pretty well! The bars at the resort (Secrets side) close by midnight, FYI. The nightclub is open til 1 am.

We got to participate in 2 foam parties at the pool during our stay....... they were AWESOME!!!! So much fun....... like a giant adult bubble bath with lots of people! They do a balloon fight in the pool, too.

We tried very hard to get the complimentary anniversary package for my parents, as it was their 40th anniversary. I had been in touch via email with someone at the resort prior to our stay. I emailed her my parents' names & dates of our stay....... however, nothing was done. 3 different members of our party went to the concierge desk to try to get it worked out. Eventually, my parents did receive the complimentary bottle of champagne, and breakfast in bed. No "happy anniversary" sign on the door, though :0( I'm not sure if it was a language barrier issue, but this was only a little disappointment in a truly WONDERFUL trip.

Overall, we all had a great time, met some great people at the resort, had friendly & excellente interactions with the staff. Truly, the staff works hard all day long. A little Spanish goes a long way, learn a few phrases/words & you get big smiles from the staff :0) Thank you all so much for a fantastic trip!!!

Room Tip: We were in room 5214, on the 2nd floor, building 5. We had a tropical view. Not anything outstanding...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lajenna
Dear lajenna
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My new husband and I traveled to secrets and were welcomed home at the royal beach resort. Staff was fantastic. Angel at the pool and the entertainment teams were chart toppers to this beer and whiskey aficionado and broadway lover. Shows each night were colorful and entertaining, meals were delicious, quiet time was plentiful and there were tons of activities. There was a way to enjoy any kind of honeymoon you've pictured. We highly recommend the honeymoon package for the beachfront dining (the absolute most romantic meal we've ever shared) and the time at the spa for a massage or facial. Try the mamajuana for a boost in your bedroom life in the evenings, and don't forget to talk to everyone. They are all extremely nice and helpful and seem to really love their jobs and value your presence at he resort!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Blaineanderin
Dear Blaineanderin
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We congratulated on your behalf our personnel of Secrets Royal Beach, for helping to make your stay memorable. We will look forward to welcoming you back again. In our hotel we are honored to have customers like you.
Comments like yours give us strength to continue on our way, thank you for your warm words of support and encouragement, your message will be communicated to all staff to share the joy I felt when reading it.
Thanks again.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

For the first time ever, we are seriously thinking of returning to the same resort and hotel. This hotel hits the spot on so many levels. It's an adults-only resort which means its relatively quiet and very relaxing. Its greatest asset is its people. We received the best service from all areas of the resort. A particular mention for Felix Guerrero in the Oceana Restaurant, Jacquelin Ledano in the Buffet Restaurant, Jennifer in the Plaza and Angel at the Pool Bar, but, to be fair, everyone was excellent. Apologies if I have misspelled any of the names. The food was of the highest quality including the lobster from the beach barbeque. Senior managers were very visible, ensuring standards were maintained. The rooms are spacious and spotless as were all areas of the hotel and who wouldn't want to drink champagne in the Jacuzzi on the balcony? The beach is clean with talcum sands and the warm Caribbean Sea. We took a stroll on the beach in both directions and had a Presedente in the beach bars and looked around the tourist shops. We were pestered a little but they happily accepted "no thanks" for an answer. What a wonderful experience not to be missed. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room with some privacy, block 5 facing away from the pool and gardens are great.
7 Thank Alan D
Dear Alan D
Thanks again.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 June 2014

3rd visit to the Dominican Republic, decided to try Secrets Royal Beach this time and was not disappointed. I cant add too much more than what has already been said here, but to agree that this resort is outstanding. The grounds are beautiful and kept very clean; there are people working all day picking up trash, sweeping, manicuring the beach etc. Our hotel room was always very clean and comfortable with plenty of hot water in the shower and the ac felt fantastic after being out in the heat all day. We were on the outside row on the side of the hotel away from the Now Larimar resort closer to the beach than the lobby and it was very quiet. The beach is gorgeous; soft sand, warm water, no rocks- perfect! It also wasnt too crowded, we were able to get our favorite umbrella each day without putting down any towels super early, we found the beach didnt really start to fill up until around 9. The food and drinks were good and plentiful, with lots of variety. The paella at the beachside grill is a must try when they have it. The fact that you didnt need to make dinner reservations was what set this resort apart for me, we really enjoyed just showing up whenever we were hungry. We usually ate dinner around 8 and only once were told there was a 20min wait (the Mexican restaurant at the Now resort and I think it was because they had a ton of kids there) , we werent picky so just went next door to the Asian restaurant and it was wide open. The nightly entertainment is fun and the band is pretty good too, it was nice to have that option if we wanted to stay out late. The service at this resort is really outstanding. From the moment we arrived to when we left, we were greeted and helped by friendly, helpful faces. Everyone spoke perfect English even when I tried to speak my non perfect Spanish to them. They really go out of their way to make you feel special. Once for breakfast, I had overfilled my hot chocolate cup and was walking very slowly back to the table to try not to spill it and one of the servers noticed and took it back to my table for me. We also accidently broke a glass in our room and while we picked up the big pieces we didnt want the maid to get cut, so we flagged down a random person in the hallway just to tell her to relay the message to the housekeeping staff, To our astonishment, she grabbed a broom and swept it all up- and she wasnt even house staff !! Those are just two stand out examples of the great service here. We decided to tip our favorites because we felt our money went a long way there but we never felt pressured to and it honestly did not affect our level of service any. A special thank you to Fidel for keeping my lazy self moving and burning off all those calories every day- his yoga and aerobics classes were the best! And of course, a shout out to our favorite bartender, Carlos for keeping us well hydrated after Fidel made us work up a sweat! We had a wonderful, relaxing time and I am already looking forward to the next visit! Will absolutely come back.

5 Thank Bailey92101