“Punta Cana”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hannibal, Missouri
“Punta Cana”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We went to Punta Cana for our honeymoon. Secrets Royal Beach was amazing. The service was wonderful and the Entertainment team really put on great events and kept the resort alive. (employee Akon is the greatest!!) Many times I have been to resorts where the entertainment is a joke, but Secrets really had great activities and entertainment. There was also so many places to eat with pretty good food (some even great)....and the water AND ICE is purified. Our maid was great too. She did special things each night as little suprises in our room for us. It was great weather and we really enjoyed our time. The only thing I didn't really like was the amont of seaweed on the beach. (We saw guys raking it up everyday, but there is still quite a bit on the sand and in the water.

2 Thank A F
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear A F
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of the entire personnel of Secrets Royal Beach , we would like to thank you for sharing your experience, I am truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your room and your experience all together were great and you could relax as wanted.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,461)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Had an excellent time at Secrets in Punta Cana. Onalio Charles stood out as a top notch entertainer and people person. His helpfulness, energy and wonderful attitude made my first trip to D.R. an awesome experience. Secrets is a top notch adult only resort and I can't wait to go back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Rebecca R
Chicago
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We just got back from an amazing 7 night honeymoon at Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana. It was truly the most enjoyable and relaxing vacation my husband and I have ever been on!!

The entertainment team is the best around. Charlie Brown, Akon, and Cinthia were so friendly and encouraged us to participate in all of the activities. We had a blast playing all of the beach games, and honestly our trip would not have been the same without them.

We spent most of our time at the beach. Carlos (a bartender/server on the beach) was our favorite employee. He was so nice and always had a drink in our hands!! We looked forward to seeing him everyday!

We would definitely recommend planning a vacation there. We cannot wait to go back :)))

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank lindsbee
Dear lindsbee
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We came to Punta Cana for our wedding. We stayed at Dreams Palm Beach for 7 days and Secrets Royal Beach for another 7 days. Secrets was considerably more expensive than Dreams, but looking back, I don't think it was worth the extra money.

At Secrets, our room was more luxurious than Dreams. It had a Jacuzzi on the balcony. It had a "sitting area" with a sofa. It had "his" and "her" sinks. But these are truthfully, all things we could live without. We only used the Jacuzzi on the balcony once and I honestly felt like it was a little awkward... It was supposed to be intimate but it's on the balcony so there's people walking by looking at you.

The rooms were clean but the maid service wasn't as good as at Dreams. We were at the resort for more than 24 hours and a maid hadn't yet visited our room. We eventually had to call the front desk and request that our room be cleaned. Then, of course, she didn't leave us any towels, so we had to call the front desk again. By the end of our 7 day stay, we noticed substantial mold on the ceiling of our bathroom. I believe it was there the entire time and I just didn't notice it until we were about to leave.

The resort is REALLY big because you get access to everything at Secrets and at the NOW Larimar next door. The NOW is a family resort and consequently, people who stay at the NOW are not allowed to use the facilities at Secrets. I was at Dreams with 26 guests and so I'm really glad we weren't staying at Secrets with our guests. We loved the fact that Dreams was smaller and so it was easier to run into people we knew. If you are coming alone, this wouldn't be an issue at Secrets.

The food was just okay at Secrets. It was slightly better than Dreams, but it's still resort food and it's still just okay. Some of the restaurants were better than others. We really enjoyed the French and Mexican restaurants. The hibachi restaurant was a huge disappointment. We went to the hibachi restaurant at Dreams and it was awesome. Here, there was little to no show and the service was bad. It took them almost our entire meal to ask what we wanted to drink and other similar mishaps. They then left us sitting there for 10 minutes at the end of our meal and we had no idea whether we were supposed to leave or stay. Finally, they came out with dessert, but a few people at our hibachi bar had already left because this wasn't made clear.

The entertainment/dance teams are pretty good. They certainly put on some impressive shows. My favorite was the tribute show. I felt that the activities throughout the day weren't as fun at Secrets as they were at Dreams. The Dreams entertainment team was just better about getting to know you, making you laugh, and getting everyone involved. The foam party and water balloon party in the pool at Secrets was especially fun, though. There's a basketball hoop in the pool that my husband loooved. The pool bar was nice and the drinks were yummy. Banana Mamas are particularly delicious.

We loved that both Dreams and Secrets provides free water kayaks and catamarans. We used both of these and loved it. I especially loved the kayaks but I think my husband preferred the catamarans.

Will we be back? Probably not. For the price increase, Secrets wasn't THAT much better than Dreams. We'll probably try a different resort all together when we return simply to have new experiences.

4 Thank Kara P
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Kara P
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.
Critics like yours, allow us to see the hotel from the point of view of the customer, and see through your eyes as you lived your holiday also you help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays
Braintree, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Of the many resorts that my wife and I have visited, this is by far our favorite. The entire staff is very accommodating and went out of their way to make you comfortable. The pool bar was the center of the action, with exceptional bartenders including Ismael, Rueben to the thoughtful server Angel! After having an issue with our pool chair being rudely taken by some very obnoxious people, Alexis, the manager that came to settle the problem, was professional, kind and very accommodating. The food was fantastic at all the Secrets restaurants, our favorite was the Spanish seafood restaurant, be sure to ask for Roberto as your server. The front desk including the concierge was fantastic from check-in to check out. Get up early to reserve a chair both at the beach and the pool area. My only negative would be that they need a bigger gym with some more updated equipment. Outside of that, I highly recommend that you stay at this Adult Only resort, you will enjoy it!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Joe B
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Joe B
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay with us.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, and on your name we will congratulate our personnel, for helping to make your stay memorable.
Hoping we will see you soon .
FORT DODGE
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from the resort last night after a 5 day stay there. It was an okay time but we were definitely not WOWED or planning a trip back. We have been to The Royal in Playa Del Carmen and couldn't help but continually compare the two. The staff at Secrets were pleasant but not overly friendly with the exception of Akon. He was happy ALL of the time. We never felt like they were truly happy to have us there. We would say Hola and more often than not only received a nod of mumbled Hola in return. Our check in was smooth and never at any point were we bothered about a timeshare. We were offered a drink at check in but no upgrade offer or things to do advice. Our room was good and the whole resort always felt clean. They have a way of conserving energy which meant that other than air our room did not have electricity until our arrival. This meant that all of the drinks in our fridge were warm. That was a bummer. The air worked great and never really felt damp. The resort is HUGE so we did a lot of walking which we did not mind. The service at the pool was okay but took time often. We were never offered a drink on the beach even though we saw wait staff. The resort talks about different beers but we did not have much luck. The other drinks were mostly premixed but they would add extra liquor if asked. The drinks were not consistent from place to place. Also, specify if you want a specific liquor. The food was mediocre at best. We did like the sushi at Grohan but other than that nothing too special. The nachos from room service were not nachos but a plate of chips with cold nacho cheese, guacamole, and salsa. Thier pizza was really good! We definitely did not over indulge on the food or drinks here. The entertainment was good and they did a good job of getting people involved but were not pushy. They always had something going on. It was nice have a "disco" right on the resort even though it was located the family side. We did not see kids in the disco. The casino was fun too but we never really got ahead. The gift shop at Now is bigger than Secrets. We went off of the resort three times walking down the beach and found some shops there. It was all the same touristy stuff but we enjoyed bartering with the locals and always felt safe! We did do a couples massage and really enjoyed that. If you check the Sundial Paper that is left in your room each day they have deals offered there. Check out was easy too. All in all the was a decent trip but my husband and I agreed that we would not be going back. It was nothing against the resort, the vibe was the same on and off the resort. I should add that we actually won this trip so we did not pay anything for it. That being said I probably would have been fairly disappointed if I had.

Room Tip: The higher up the better. We were on the ground floor and the noise above was not pleasant!
3 Thank SaydieIowa
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear SaydieIowa
We truly regret to read that your holidays were not completely satisfying as we aim.
Please receive our apologies for the inconveniences you might have encountered during your visit. Our main goal is to provide the best vacation experience to our valuable costumers .We truly regret that you left our premises with an opposite idea in your mind.
Please feel free to contact us if you decide to give us a second chance to show you the way we care about our customers.
Best regards,
Luis Gomez
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 23 June 2014

What a wonderful stay we had at the Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana. So much to say in compliments, I do not know where to start. The staff was super friendly, helpful, and always smiling. The staff member Karen Cinthia was especially nice. Everyone worked so hard to help make our vacation enjoyable. Very relaxing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kimberly O
Dear Kimberly O
Thank you very much for sharing all your experiences in the Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana hotel and thank you for choosing us for your holidays.
For us it is an honor to receive reviews from our guest more if we could read that we have managed to exceed such important expectations.
I am glad to know that my personnel could make your holiday memorable!.
We will love to greet you soon again, so we have another chance to continue surprising you with our hotel and service.
In the name of my whole team, let me wish you and your all the best.
Yours sincerely,