“3RD SECRETS…NOT NECESSARILY THE CHARM!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Altanta, Georgia
“3RD SECRETS…NOT NECESSARILY THE CHARM!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've just returned from a week long stay at the Punta Cana Secrets Royal Beach. It's my 3rd trip to a Secrets Resort so I have a standard of excellence in my mind as it relates to the Secrets group. The Secrets Royal Beach is certainly not a substandard hotel but it does rate 2nd to it's sister property in Playa Del Carmen - Maroma as well as The Vine in Cancun.

My husband and I traveled to Punta Cana (It's our 3rd visit to the DR) on 07-12-14 for a week long stay along with another couple. We emailed ahead and asked that our rooms be assigned in the same building and Sr. Gomez the hotel manager was accommodating and made it happen. Please note our opinions are based on many travels to assorted All Inclusive resorts around the Caribbean.

Check In: Easy and quick! We arrived right around 3:00 and our room was ready. We were greeted with cold towels and champagne. Both a welcome treat after the rather warm ride from the airport.

Room: Hotel staff accompanied us to our room, delivered our luggage and explained how the electricity and air conditioning operated. The room was lovely, clean and very spacious. It appeared just as the website had shown. The bathroom had a sizable walk in shower and double sinks. There was a separate water closet along with a bidet. The room had all the necessities that anyone could need, iron, ironing board (if you iron on vacation!), hair dryer, mini fridge (stocked with coke, diet coke, orange, club soda, bottled water and Presidente beer). The room had a small love seat and table (great for late night snacking - see Room Service below) and a king bed that we found extremely comfortable. There is an overhead ceiling fan that helps to keep things cool. The a/c is governed at 24.5ºC or roughly 75ºF. I prefer it a little colder but it was certainly a welcome relief when you walked in from the hot Dominican sun. Only issue was that of washcloths and towels. I've been to the DR before and I know this is common so I brought some washcloths from home. We left a note along with a tip "propina" for our housekeeper and towels then continued to appear daily. Problem solved, if you call that a problem. We left our housekeeper a tip daily as she did an excellent job and we always had turn down service along with a sweet left on our pillow.

Hotel Restaurants: We stayed for 7 nights so we had an opportunity to try a considerable amount of the restaurants both on the Secrets side as well as the Now side. Overall the restaurants are what you would expect for an all inclusive. For breakfast we stuck with the buffet where you could have an omelet cooked to order as well as cereal, waffles, fresh fruit, etc. There really is something for all taste. I enjoyed this meal the most I believe during our stay. I had fresh fruit smoothies and omelets most morning along with toast. The overall grade I would give the resort food is certainly not 5 star or 3.5 for that matter but that also depends upon your exposure. We are fortunate enough to live in a city (Atlanta) with a tremendous amount of exceptional restaurants so our standards may be a little unrealistic. I found something good in every restaurant that more than satisfied my appetite. My personal favorites were Gohan, Capers, Oceana, Merkur. We made reservations for the only restaurant required - Spice and that is only if you want to experience the Tapenyaki table. We did this and although the food was tasty the experience was less than you would expect. The chef did little to no show and we were hurried to eat our meal and leave. Apparently they have a 45 min window allowed and then you must go. I literally had just received my dessert and taken 1 bite of it when we were asked to leave the table. I would recommend you eat at the restaurant but not waste your time with the table experience. Most of our service was very good, with the exception of Merkur where we once again had to ask for everything repeatedly and eventually left without after dinner coffee and dessert even though they had been ordered and asked for twice. My husband and I spent many years in the service industry working our way through college tending bar and waiting table so we are tippers. On those two nights, no tip was left.

Room Service: 24 hour availability and my husband took full advantage after an evening of drinks. The presentation was always lovely and the food satisfactory depending upon how much drinking had taken place earlier. We had no problems with room service not arriving as I've seen mentioned here before. I will tell you that after you place a late night order they call your room to make sure you are still conscious to eat it. I think it makes perfect sense as a lot of the time people order and then fall asleep. Just because something is all inclusive it doesn't warrant wasting for the sake of getting your "money" worth.

Beach: The beach/water is lovely but it is plagued by heavy seaweed. The staff are on the beach daily raking and trying to keep it clean but mother nature wins this battle. The water was the beautiful blue/turquoise color you expect but rather rough.

Pool/Bar Area: The pool is large and warm and even has a lazy river attached on one side. The lazy river attaches to the swim up rooms and does not empty into the main pool. The pool side loungers are reserved early as well as the floats that are available. This is something that needs to be addressed by management. Several mornings after breakfast when getting to the pool at 9:00 a.m. all of the loungers/floats had already been reserved. Hours would pass without anyone being in a chair or using a float so we just began using them anyway. Management needs to address this issue for sure. This was not a problem at the beach however. The pool wait staff was exceptional. Fernando waited on us poolside daily and remembered our names and our drinks almost immediately. We did tip but I can honestly say that most people did not and it did not appear to impact the level of service received. At the pool bar we had a great bartender named "Willy Mays" who was on top of what we needed as well. They both always had a smile and were ready to serve.

Entertainment: The hotel had nightly entertainment, from Karaoke night (my husband I both participated as we love to sing) to Circus, Beach Party, Tribute night, etc. These were standard shows you would see at any all inclusive across the Caribbean. Good enough for a couple of hours after dinner to while away and laugh with new resort friends. We had exceptional service each night from our waiter Maximo. He was particularly attentive and we rewarded it with tips that he surely earned. The entertainment ended at 11:30 ish and then it was lights out at the plaza where all the entertainment took place. The only place left was the casino (we were discouraged from going) to the disco "Eclipse". We ventured over a couple of nights to the disco and the music was good but honestly it was so hot (2nd floor and no air conditioning) that it was hard to enjoy. Tips from my husband seemed to get the DJ to see his way to play a few favorite hip hop dance tunes so we tipped away. The alcohol at the disco was atrocious and although I know what I ordered I know for certain it's not what I received. We stuck with water at the disco as I'm not sure what they were serving but I know for sure it didn't resemble any Vodka/Rum we had ever had but more like horrendous moonshine.

Entertainment Staff: The Entertainment Staff must never sleep as they were there from sun up to sun down which obviously explains the ridiculously good shape they are all in. Charlie Brown and Milky Way, as well as Fausto and Cynthia did their best to include people in daily activities but weren't upset if you chose to just watch. There is a foam party at the pool that is really funny (especially if you've had a few MamaJuana's). Rum tastings, daily pool aerobics, Iron Man Contest, volleyball, etc. happens daily and some are pretty fun to watch or if you dare ~ participate!

Alcohol: That brings me to my final and only real sticking point. When we travel we always pick hotels that advertise top shelf liquor choices (as did this Secrets). We've stayed at Maroma and The Vine (both excellent choices) and never experienced the lack of brand name alcohol that we did at this resort. This also applies to beer choices. The only choice at the pool bar is Presidente on tap. No domestics, no imports, no other choice period unless you upgraded to Preferred. I'm not sure if the staff are trained to ignore request but even when I purposely went to a bar and requested a particular liquor, the bartender then picked up some no name Vodka and proceeded to pour in my drink. When I questioned him, he laughed and tossed it away. This was a problem across the board at this resort and one reason I would not go back. If this isn't an issue for you then you'll be fine. If you prefer better spirits then you won't be happy. I thought for awhile we were the only ones experiencing this but soon found many other people to be unhappy with the choices as well. Our friends from London, who were quite fond of Jack Daniels had this problem repeatedly during their stay and did complain. I'm not sure if it did any good as we left before the end of their stay.

Preferred Status: We did not upgrade (we never do) as it has never been a necessity in the past with Secrets Resorts to get top shelf liquor and first class treatment. I did venture over to give the Preferred side a look and found very few people there. In fact, several of the couples we met during our stay were from the Preferred side but found it not worth the money and frankly boring. I will tell you that your drink choices are different with Preferred which is okay but it should be advertised that way. WiFi is also included on the Preferred side but I don't think it's worth the additional money just to get WIFI. Just buy the week WIFI and you should be fine. This is also the first Secrets Ive stayed at that didn't offer free WIFI in their lobby.

Excursions: During our stay my husband golfed twice. Once at La Cana and the other Cocotal. He found La Cana excellent with beautiful water views and the course in great shape. Cocotal was not quite as nice but closer to the resort and more reasonably priced - $50.00 US cheaper and 30 minutes closer. He also did a dive excursion through Seapro (on the beach in front of the hotel). This was a much bigger disappointment as there was very little marine life and for the price the dive (2 tank) was short and shallow. If you're a diver you may want to invest in one of the larger all day dive packages that venture to Sanoa Island. We heard good things about the dive but we felt the price of $ 225.00 per person to be a little too high for the area. Also most people felt it took up too much of the day as they arrived back at the resort early evening. For comparison in Turks and Caicos ~ Provenciales an all day dive excursion was $ 125.00 and much better overall.

Overall this is a lovely resort. The Domincan people always greet you with a smile and a "Excellente" about everything. The grounds/facilities are well above average, pristinely manicured, and clean. I maintain everywhere we go that if you are bound to find a problem (which some people are) then you will find fault at this hotel. We were there however to holiday and enjoy. We did enjoy, and short of the few things I noted above I would rate this hotel about a 3 3/4 star to 4 star. If you go, you won't be disappointed. But if you've stayed at the other Secrets you will find a difference in the resorts and maybe just maybe wished you would opted for Maroma for a second time!

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions about anything I've written and i'll do my best to respond quickly. I rely on these reviews to book hotels/trips so I take reviewing very seriously!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room above the ground floor or the patio jacuzzi is useless!
19 Thank VickiAtl
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear VickiAtl
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at our hotel; however we regret not been able to reach the level of expectation you had, as you can kindly understand each Secrets is located in different places, also different prices, and different characteristics, we like to say that we all have our own personality and we are adapted to different likes, guests and people.
But also critics like yours, allow us to see the hotel from the point of view of the customer, and see through your eyes as you lived your holiday also you help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays
Warm regards
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,497)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from 7 days at Secrets Royal Beach. This was not our first experience with Secrets having stayed at Maroma Beach which is supposed to be the best in the Secrets chain. Royal Beach is a beautiful resort and all of the staff are very pleasant and accomodating. The entertainment staff is "Excellente" (especially Charlie Brown) and if you choose they will keep you busy all day and night but aren't pushy about it. Our housekeeper Yovanny was the best we've ever had at any resort, suprising us with something different in our room every day. Overall we had a great stress free relaxing vacation in a beautiful place. I would also like to thank Jorge and Mario from Unlimited Vactions for everything, HOLA, from Sexy Poppy and Mommy. :)
Paul and Darlene Foley Brookhaven Pa,

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice, it all depends on what is important to you and how much you want to pay...
2 Thank Paul F
Dear Paul F:
Thank you for your time and effort writing a review about your vacation experience at our beautiful Secrets Royal Beach hotel.
We are truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your room and your experience all together exceeded your expectations. Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.
Kind Regards,
MA
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We just returned from a vacation at Secrets Royal Beach Club. My husband and I traveled with 4 other couples to this resort. From the time we checked in the service was top notch! Each staff member treated us with high quality service. Each time we needed a drink at the pool and/or beach someone was there in under 5 minutes! (Special shout out to Fernando at the pool! He kept them coming and gave us special treatment!) I also had high-quality pampering at the Spa at the sister resort NOW. Juan Francisco and Stephanie gave fantastic spa services and made a morning of relaxation for my friends and I. As others have said the entertainment staff was fun and never pressured you to join in...although it was hard not to with Charlie Brown,Milky Way, Akon sparking the fun! Our hot water wasn't working one day and the maintenance staff was there within 10 minutes.

Other than the staff and service, a few other positives:
1. No reservations for dinner! A definite plus. We traveled with 11 people and never had to wait more than 45 minutes for dinner. I like not having a definite time to eat...no pressure.
2. Not getting up early to reserve a spot at the pool or beach! We walked over to the sister resort NOW and it seemed like you would have to wake up early!
3. The food was decent..not great, but you can always find something to eat!

I thought the rooms were of a lower quality that another resort I stayed at in Punta Cana. They were clean and fine but not as large. (The jacuzzi on the porch is a little strange!) Also they did not have top-shelf liquor. This wasn't a big deal to me because I'm not a liquor drinker, but my husband was a little disappointed...although it didn't stop him from having fun and finding something to drink all week! :)

Overall..top notch! Would recommend for any couples traveling together, Honeymoon, or anniversary! Way to Go!

Room Tip: Closer to the pool / ocean the better!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank jnlthm
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear jnlthm:
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of our entire personnel , we would like to thank you for sharing your experience, is our absolute pleasure reading reviews as kind as yours.
We have congratulated all our staff whose service contributed in your happiness.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the resort during our honeymoon and it was outstanding! The resort had wonderful service, great food, and remarkable presence. We have stayed in Dominican Republic a few times at various resorts but nothing compares to Secret!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear biancamariafeliciano
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.
We are glad to know that we exceed the expectations of such a special trip like a honeymoon. Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything.
We have congratulate on your behalf all our personnel, whose service contributed in your happiness
On the other hand, we are glad to read that you would like to come back, if that happened, it would be an honor if I can meet you personally.
Yours sincerely,
New York, NY
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Couldn't have asked for a better place to do my honeymoon. Staff was great and the food was delicious. Beach was BEAUTIFUL! The views were incredible and there was always amazing things to do at the resort day and night. Would go back at a moment's notice!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear potro2
Yours sincerely,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Juan Manuel, Francisco, santa, mary, Cesar, Ramon in the preferred club made my birthday party extra special. THANKS YOU ALL FOR A EXCELLENT STAY. Would come again. Great food, drinks, room service. The spa was good but overall you will go have a great time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Dave J:
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had the best vacation ever at the Secrets Royal Beach Resort from July 12 - July 19, 2014. . It first started upon arrival as a preferred guest checking in at the counter and being introduced to Alexis, I call him our personal butler. He insured our check in and arrival at our accommodations were taken care of in excellent manner. He ensured our needs were met the entire time at the resort from making sure we had the right pillows for our bed to taking care of special restaurant reservations and arranging a shopping spree for us, He was truly best....and made our stay an excellent one. Our housekeeper Lourdes made sure our accommodations were met and provided special touches to our room with rose pedals on the bed to the rose pedals in the jaccuzzi tub on the balcony.
I would also like to thank our preferred lounge bar tenders. They were great, accommodating,and ensured we had a great time every time we passed through the lounge. And lastly i would like to thank the entertainment staff who put on some great shows and entertained us well. That included Melissa, Karen, Akon, Evelin, Milkey Way, Winmie, Charlie Brown and all the other great entertainers. They were fabulous. All the restaurant staff in Riveria and the Habachi Grill were great. Their friendliness made our stay just that more pleasant.The beach right outside our room could not have been better. All in all this was an excellent resort and i recommend it to anyone traveling to Punta Cana. I plan to visit it again with the year.
A & A Williams from El Paso, Texas.

Room Tip: The aromatherapy and the smell of the room was refreshing and soothing. Not sure what they use but...
2 Thank Alicia W