“Great time.” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Richmond, Virginia
“Great time.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Secrets knows how to provide a great time. This was are first time to Punta Cana, we have been to the Riviera miya in mexico twice. My wife and I stayed at Secrets Maroma for are honeymoon 4 years ago and we still say that was the best place we have ever stayed. The secrets beach in punta cana is absolutely stunning and the only time the sea weed is really bad is when the water is rough and windy. The only reason I cant give this resort an excellent rating is cause the food. Don't get me wrong the food is good and pretty good variety, but it probly wont agree with your stomach. We traveled there with 8 of are friends and all of us were in the restroom very often, some of us were nauseous most of the time or on the toilet. We were careful not to drink any water unless it was bottled. Other than that it was a great place. The staff was amazingggg. Big shout out to (Rueben-pool bar)(Willy-pool bar)(Fernando-pool waiter)(Juan carlos-waiter)(Cinthia-Entertainment team)(Charlie brown-Entertainment team)(Karen-Entertainment team)(Akon-entertainment team)(Fidel-Entertainment team)(Scooby doo)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tyler D
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 4 October 2014
Dear Tyler D
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at our hotel; however we regret not been able to reach the level of expectation you had, as you can kindly understand each Secrets is located in different places, also different prices, and different characteristics, we like to say that we all have our own personality and we are adapted to different likes, guests and people.
But also critics like yours, allow us to see the hotel from the point of view of the customer, and see through your eyes as you lived your holiday also you help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays
Warm regards
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,374)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Myself and my husband are just back from our honeymoon, we had such a great time, hotel was amazing , food was so delicious and such a variety, all the staff are so lovely and friendly from cleaners to bar staff everyone you meet is a pleasure,
The entertainment team is a great bunch , Evelyn is lovely so friendly and outgoing.
We had such good time I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 28 September 2014
Dear Happy2gtaway
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.
We are glad to know that we exceed the expectations of such a special trip like a honeymoon. Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything.
We have congratulate on your behalf all our personnel, whose service contributed in your happiness
On the other hand, we are glad to read that you would like to come back, if that happened, it would be an honor if I can meet you personally.
Yours sincerely,
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

An absolutely amazing holiday the whole experience was out of this world. Staff bent over backwards to make sure every need was met. We was encouraged to participate in all tasks and events and we made friends whilst out in the Dominican. The food was lovely something for everyone and the entertainment team were outstanding! Between them they all made our holiday. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone . Being able to use both hotels was also really good as they offered a wider range of restaurants bars shows etc
Staff that deserve a mention include Charlie Brown Milky Way Evelyn Fausto Cinthia Karen Jovanny Akon (Entertainment) Menquis (Buffet Restaurant)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Maria O
Dear Maria O
Thank you for your time and effort writing a review about your vacation experience at our beautiful Secrets Royal Beach hotel.
We are truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your room and your experience all together exceeded your expectations. Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.
Kind Regards,
Bensalem PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Long overdue review! My apologies to the staff that was so wonderful to us!
We visited Secrets Royal Beach June 27 to July 9.
It is an all adults, all inclusive resort. The resort is beautiful and extremely clean. It is next to, connected to NOW Larimar resort. The two resorts share the same entertainment staff. There is a show each night at both resorts at the same time. You can decide which show you want to go ahead of time since everything for the week is posted around the resorts. All the shows were excellent

As a guest at Secrets we were allowed access to all the restaurants at NOW and activities, etc. The guests at NOW, however, are not permitted to come to Secrets. NOW allows children so you will not get the all adult experience when you go there. Some restaurants do not allow children. There are staff members in the connecting pathways that will check your room key on your way back to Secrets. I believe NOW has 9 restaurants and Secrets has 5. No reservations required except for the tepanyaki restaurant at NOW.

We belong to the Unlimited Vacation Club so we are entitled to all the Preferred services. We decided we wanted a room that had a view of the ocean but that was not available until the next day. We were shown several rooms in the process by our butler, Caesar .He was extremely helpful and patient. We stayed in a first floor room for the first night. This room was a problem. Now, I have been to many resorts and a few have had a slight smell of mildew. I smelled the mildew in this room but thought it would clear once the room aired out. This was not the case. All night I slept with the sheet over my face thinking I would be breathing in spores or whatever. (I did develop a bad cough for the next few days. Luckily, I had antibiotics with me and that seemed to clear the cough.)
We moved to the new room on the third (highest) floor of the building. No smell there.
Caesar was so sweet – he had our Jacuzzi tub on the balcony ready with rose petals, bubbles and a bottle of champagne.

The Preferred lobby was small with a bar, desk and waiting area with tv conveniently located close to our room. SANTIAGO, (I hope I got his name right) was the bartender that was usually there. He was WONDERFUL. He always made banana mamas for me perfectly!

Anyone who was at the front desk was always accommodating and helpful. This is where you get your slips of paper with the password for the WIFI, which was free for us as a Preferred privilege. They ask how many devices you have – we had three – and provide you with small receipts with the password on it. Each password is good for 14 hours, I think. After that, it will ask you for a new password. If you sign out each time, it will save your time but it was free so we didn’t care. I downloaded some of our shows that we watch over the internet at night so mine was always on. I always asked for extra up front even if mine had not been exhausted so I always had one available immediately.
The wifi was very good wherever we went, even over to NOW. We did have an issue for two days where we were not getting a signal in our room but we were getting it everywhere else. It took at least 5 five calls over two days. They finally had two techs come and I guess reset a router, they said. All worked fine after that.

Our room had a flat screen tv and a dvd player. I have a Galaxy Note 3 and use the Samsung hub to create a wifi signal from my phone to the tv. This connection allows the tv to mirror whatever is on my phone screen. This was easy to connect because the tv sat on the table and was not mounted onto the wall. Believe me this is important to me since it can be nearly impossible at times to connect anything to those mounted tvs or to even see where the ports are when you can’t turn it!

Every day we would have breakfast at the LaRiviera buffet. It was next to the Seaside Grill which was not open for breakfast but the seating for the restaurant was for Preferred. We only sat there once. It was very quiet there but we preferred the seating outside of LaRiviera. Our waiter, VICTOR, was so attentive. He was also a waiter at the Oceania and always received great service. The buffet had all the typical foods and many selections were changed each day so you had a really nice variety.

We would walk down to the beach where our usually spot was right in front of the volleyball net. We found that to be very entertaining during the day. There were always plenty of towels. No problem getting chairs under the hut if you got out there early. All the chairs that we used were in very good condition.

We encountered no mosquitoes or sand fleas during our stay. (Years ago, we had stayed at what was Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana where my husband had to be taken by ambulance to the clinic at three o’clock in the morning for a fever outbreak from so many mosquito bites. They thought he might have dengue fever but fortunately did not.)

PATRICIA was our favorite waitress on the beach. All were really nice. One was new, don’t know her name…every time she came we really didn’t need anything but the one time I did, I ordered a drink and never saw her again! Oh well..another one, who was very nice also but didn’t understand English. I did my best to explain in Spanish that I looked up but the order didn’t come out right, but that was okay. No big deal.

Activities on the beach, mostly morning hours, yoga of some sort, dance lesson and some kind of game.

MILKY WAY, CHARLIE BROWN and AKON (spelling?) were always on hand coming around to chat and get people to sign up for activities. They did a great job. KAREN is also a member of the entertainment staff. She was very sweet, performed in a couple of shows and sat with us during a couple of them.

The temperature was around 87 degrees F every day. No rain to speak of except one evening where it rained off and on during the outside show at NOW but the show went on! Luckily, karaoke night so they were singing in the rain while we stood in the covered courtyard.

The water was very nice, although there was some seaweed as you walk into the ocean.
I did not find it bothersome though and easy to avoid. I did not need my beach shoes at all. The water was very calm and relaxing.

You could walk to the Barefoot Grill at lunch or go to the LaRiviera buffet. We sometimes sat at the outside seating area for the Seaside Grill, which was not open, and sat at the end table under cover and got some things from the Barefoot Grill and some things from the buffet inside.

The pool area was clean and fun. I would say a little on the small to medium size. We never stayed there for the day but we have at other resorts. Since it was on the smaller size, it seemed to me you would be more involved in the swimup bar activity. The only activity we included ourselves in was the foam party. That was fun where they blow foam from a big dragon into the pool over everyone so it looks like one big bubble bath.

On Canada Day, which is right before U.S. Independence Day, they had a really nice parade across the bridge over to the pool with the entertainment staff dressed in red and white with Canadian flags. They had a dance contest in the back of the pool bar which I and another person won. They gave us a free massage at the spa.

On Independence Day a very nice flag raising ceremony was done with uniformed “guards” in the morning at the show area outside the main lobby. They handed out all kinds of red, white, and blue party favors – necklaces, tiaras, balloons, flags, etc. before the event. A singer sang our national anthem as the flag was raised. Very nice!

In the afternoon, behind the pool bar, they set up a bull riding competition. It was very funny.

Restaurants: Our FAVORITE restaurant, and we wished we had discovered it sooner, was CAPERS at NOW. Loved it! They have a wonderful salad bar inside that is not limited to salads. The risotto was great as was everything else we had. We ate there three times. DOMINGO was the best waiter. He was on top of everything! Fantastic!

The tepanyaki, which we needed a reservation for and they made a mistake on, was the worst. Usually, when we go to one of these, we sit, relax, have fun with everyone at the table. We are there probably for about an hour or so. They rushed us out in 25 mins.!
The chef did one trick where he flicked the food into a couple people’s mouths but no volcano, beating heart…nothing! No one got to talk or choose what they wanted to eat.
Everyone got the same thing…some chicken, beef and shrimp. We would never go back there.

Taramindo was the Mexican restaurant. I had some kind of fish, which was good.
I guess it wasn’t too memorable for me.

Mercure was the French restaurant. Now, this is the one I was excited to go to..bad meal.
So bad I had to call the manager over. I ordered steak and risotto. The steak was not very good and overcooked. The risotto was like something I had never seen before. This was before we had the wonderful risotto at Capers. It was dry and clumped together like a pancake. I could not eat it. I showed the manager that I could pick up the entire thing with my fork and it all stuck together. They made me a new steak but I did not bother with a new order of risotto.

Seaside Grill at SECRETS was on our last night. I wish we had gone there earlier. I had the lamb.
Amazing.

Blue Water Grill at NOW was very good. Loved their carrot cake for dessert. Yum. Best dessert. The steak I had was thin but perfectly cooked and tender. Very flavorful. May have been one of the best steaks I had during my stay.

Oceana at SECRETS…meal was good but on both nights we were there, they had run out of crème brulee.

At NOW there is a courtyard where the shows are held. Surrounding that area are stores, a casino, a disco, and a bowling alley and game room. Couldn’t have asked for more.

All in all, we had a fantastic time…and guess what?? We are heading back to stay for another 12 days at the end of Sept.! They will be surprised to see us back so soon!

Room Tip: We had upstairs room, no musty smell. First floor room we had first night was very bad with mildew...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
10 Thank dancewithe
Dear dancewithe
Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach
Many thanks for choosing to stay at our resort. Providing an excellent stay experience is our reason to be. Thank you for the kind words about the Hotel. We are indeed happy to know that you have a great stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again, and assure you of our best services and fullest attention at all times.
Warm Regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful beach, guaranteed good weather in April, amazing food, staff and service. The only minus is that this is still a malarial region, and you have to be sure to protect yourself properly from mosquito bites and the best is to take anti-malarial drugs just in case. In general highly recommended.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Camille S
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of our entire personnel , we would like to thank you for sharing your experience, is our absolute pleasure reading reviews as kind as yours.
We have congratulated all our staff whose service contributed in your happiness.
We hope that we can welcome you back soon, and we can meet personally!
Best regards
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

My wife and I started a new business and the last year came and went in the blink of an eye. We needed a serious vacation. With her birthday coming up, it was perfect timing. Service was great from the start. I contacted the resort a few weeks prior to our arrival to see if they could do anything special for my wife on her bday. Coordinating this was all through email and it was fantastic. Overall, the resort was great, very clean, rooms well kept with turn down service and comfy beds. Food options were great...buffet style, sit down style with access to the resort next door, 24hr room service, stocked mini bar included, to beach side drink service! We literally ate at 3 restaurants in one evening! (appetizers at one, main course at another, topped off with dessert from the buffet! haha, needless to say we gained a few pounds, but it well worth it! The beach was awesome, plenty of lounge chairs with access to non motorized fun included too. There truly is nothing better than going all inclusive at a top notch resort. We quickly learned how much better the food was at Secrets by venturing into the sister resort next door. Dont get me wrong, it was good there too, but you will see the difference in food quality and service. The staff was amazing, very tentative and quick to respond to minor issues in our room. They decorated our room on my wifes actual birthday as promised with cake, champagne and balloons.. she love balloons. A++ guys.
A few grips:
Theres not much, but worth mentioning. It's been over a month but these still linger: Our bathroom shower had a "sewer-like" smell that kinda punched you in the face in the beginning of each shower, then subsided. The in-room safe had a problem, and it took almost an hour for someone to come, BUT, that was partly our fault, as the staff follows rules to the tee. We had forgotten we left the "do not disturb" sign on our door and the maintenance guy was torn with knocking.. he chose to wait and come back until we called and complained. Not a major ding at all but was irritating at the time, as we were late for dinner. One staff member in particular either was having a bad night or didn't like that we were eating late one night and I could hear him cursing in spanish. Either way, it wasn't nice and I doubt he knew I only know the bad words. Wifi - for an all inclusive top notch resort, wifi is not free. Although this turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The fact it wasn't free made me not want to buy it for the first few days. Towards the last day, I ended up buying it to check on the biz. The first few days forced us to truly "unplug" from everything and embrace the relaxation and recharge the mind and soul. So take the wifi situation to your own personal needs.
Tips:
Each day, we left a small tip for the house keeping staff with a note to give us extra bottled water, this worked out well. Watch out for those giant fire ants with the big scissor like teeth. We had a palm tree running up in front of our balcony and a few fell into the hot tub which ended up biting us.. and man! they are called fire ants for a reason! It made for a great story and memory though. We used american dollars everywhere in the hotel and to buy our off property excursions. We didn't have to do any currency exchanges at all. They have pretty good rates at the hotel, so dont worry if you forget or need to exchange your money. Learn some spanish, both speaking and understanding. It will go a long way. The staff work and try really hard to understand, and most do, but some do not but are still very accomodating and will go above and beyond to get what you need, even if its grabbing another worker to help out. Plug outlets are 110volts.
Again, overall.. amazing, fun, relaxing, we will be back as well as visit other SECRET resorts around the caribbean. To give you a real close and personal view of how much fun we had, check out our vacation video. Watch the whole thing! (3 songs in it) I loved shooting and editing it (GoPro style).

Mobile version (low res) link: http://m.zippcast.com/index.html#vid?v=a189d9c352217bd3028

Computer link: http://www.zippcast.com/video/a189d9c352217bd3028

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor, very quiet and relaxing. Our location was close to the front near the m...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Eddie S
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana; and on your behalf we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
Critics like yours, allow us to see the hotel from the point of view of the customer, and see through your eyes as you lived your holiday also you help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions.
Warm regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Secrets Royal Beach is an amazing place

I had a great holiday,very peaceful,quiet and relaxing property,

Food is really good,service is very fast and the staff is very professional
I really enjoyed my stay,

Great Scape!

Room Tip: Higher floors and jacuzzi
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo