“Paradise with a great Carribean Breeze”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Paradise with a great Carribean Breeze”
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Originally, I was booked for the NH Real Arena resort. When, I checked in, we upgraded for a minimal fee. (Absolutely, worth it!) This place was amazing! The buffet was great! The Gala buffet had grilled lobster the night we got there. Food was great! This was my third time to the Dominican Republic and first to Punta Cana. The people were very nice and polite. Many spoke english fairly well... Good for me. The rooms were awesome! On this resort, it is adult only...yes No Screaming kids!!! and each room has a jacuizi even on the 3rd floor! Flat screen TVs. Room service 24-7 free!!! We did have a problem with the AC but was fixed quickly!! free shuttle service to the mall and Hard Rock Cafe!! The nightly entertainment was awesome! Especially, the fire show!! The pool was amazing and the bar and yes Dewars the bartender was awesome!! The beach was amazing... The security was great!!! We did have access to NH Real Arena but had plenty to do on our resort! The Casino was great! One tidbit definitely bring US and RD money because you can sometimes get a better deal in one than the other.... IE at the Blackjack table the minimium bet is $5 US and 100RD the rate at the time is 35 to 1.00US dollar so if you play in pesos it approx $3 bet. Little things add up! It was humid and it did rain some. but May/June is Punta Cana's rainy season!! The Ocean was amazing and so was the beach definitely white sand beaches!!! Had a Blasst and definitely recommend!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank rn28grace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,498)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
PRAGUE
Reviewed 5 June 2010

My wife was booking for my birthday one night in VIP part of this hotel. The first problem - we must wait in entrance by security like more than 10 minutes because our name was not on the guest list.

The next PROBLEM was because she book through NH hotel internet webpage and in confirmation report that we save as print its says – the room is 100% prepaid and if we don’t come you will charge our credit card with this amount. But the executive “also VERY unfriendly manager Reberto” asking again for the credit card to pay one more time, also if she explain to him that the Credit Card is from banreservas made just for internet shooping and paying outside of Dominican republic (you can review this information by Banreservas). The manager was direct in BAD and LOUD fighting with us like 2 hours !!!

After he come and we must write that we agree that you charge the same card again (he make copy of card and copy of ID of my Wife) – we was explaint that you can charge JUST through Internet – NOT through direct payment. We come to celebrate my birthday and that make us so bad feeling, that if we “not prepaid” we was in mute GO OUT of the Hotel. After we got room – that was not the same like room on the webpage picture that she was booking, we change the room for another – was very kind and helpful your VIP deks stuff Mr.Calisto. Ther ewe spend like 3hours with fighting and changing room.
Next day “after checkout” come to us some from the VIP Desk, because that he found out that he cant charge the card through the machine - thats what we day before Explain to VIP Manager Roberto and he understand “very well” – that the credit card you can charge JUST through internet. (Many Banks in Europe also use cards just for Internet shopping)

In this moment we found in reception the Spanish executive manager Mr. Domenico and hotel manager Mrs. Clara. We again was expleining the situation – they do nothing positive. What they do was – Mrs. Clara come to us when we was on beach lounge – together with Security guy of the hotel and was meaning we have BADLUCK, because she was asking someone in Banreservas and was meaning that our information about the card is our lie!!!

After we was not in mute continue in lunch, and went to our car to use another card – that we DON’T want to use, because that was not the point form start – from the booking through internet. We was surprise that by our car was security guy ( I can send you through email his picture, also picture fot he disaster room that they give us first), the security guy told us we cant move the car because Mrs. Clara Escribo told him.

We take the card and was paying, it was taken like 1hour because you was unable print the invoice!!! After we ask to talk again with the Executive manager and manager fo the hotel “To thank them to destroy our CELEBRATION”.

Also I forgot they send us after changing room one bottle sparkling wine – that was the worst sparkling wine that you can offer (the price for bottle like 4 USD - you can imagine what wine that was) – better offer nothing – also we attach photo.

I mean in all together you destroy our celebration and make very bad memories – it was nightmare!!! We will newer again stay in ANY of NH Hotel Group, Barcelo is one star less but the VIP service is excelent!!!

We already was trying to ask by CEO of NH Hotel for compensation - but the freaky hotel group have WRONG fax and telephone numbers of the webpage, ALL THE NUMBERS DOESNT WORK!!! THe NH Group is the WORST HOTEL GROUP EVER!!!

Just one more thing about the rooms - as you see in picture, the rooms are very cheap made, bad finishing, dirty badrooms, food very cheap made...if you go to Barcelo - they value you as client and the service is more better for lower price!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CATALONIA08
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 June 2010

A friend of mine recommended the NH Royal Beach and we decided to go. My wife an I just came back from a great vacation time. The NH Royal Beack is probably the newest hotel in Punta Cana (or so we were told). This hotel is connected to the NH Real Arena. The NH Royal is an adults-only place and that's just what we wanted. You can use the installations of both hotels which gives you more options.

Everyone working in the hotel work so hard to make everyone feel at home. Rooms are spacious and very clean. The pool and beach areas are very nice as well.

There is food and drinks all day long. During the day there is a buffet with some local dishes as well as international food. At night time you have the option for the buffet or one of the different restaurants. NOTE: Men are required to wear pants (no shorts or t-shirts allowed). We tried two of their restaurants: 1) The Asian restaurant has a chief cooking for you at a big table. Food here was very good. 2) Our second visit was to the PURE restaurant that offered a degustation menu with options that didn't look that good on paper. Food was delicious: They serve you various dishes so you can try a few different things. Everthing from soup, lobster tail in vanilla sauce (oh my god) to a mango and rice pudding dessert.

The hotel has a disco, a sports bar with pool tables, TVs and bowling. There is a casino with a few tables with roulette, black-jack and 3-card poker. There are a few slot machines and a Texas-Hold'em table (blinds $1 and $2). This table was very popular and I was able to sit there only twice. The game was very friendly.

There are different options for shopping and differet tours as well. We tried the "Marinarium" and liked it.

All together we spent such a good time and would love to go back. I must certainly recommend the place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gvilleda
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I had a great destination 50th birthday at NH Royal Beach with my husband and 2 other couples! The food was great, especially on Sushi night. Also had access to the Real Arena next door for night club and restaurants and shopping as well. The rooms were very clean and comphy,. Yes a bit humid, but that's to be expected in that region. We just turned up the AC at night and the room was chilly! But best of all was Eric, our personal butler! He drew my birthday bubble bath on the balcony sprinkled with rose petals and burning incense. Every day he saw to our needs with a huge smile! The Olives and the cocktails at the lobby bar were incredible, served by lovely Ingrid! ALL the staff members were very professional and so friendly. We hated to say "Goodbye" We loved every minute of it, even when it rained, because the bartenders entertained us at the swim-up bar. Snorkeling was awesome.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Isabel0050
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Ah, where to begin?...my husband and I stayed at this resort for 5 nights and we couldn't wait to get back home. We had been waiting for this vacation for some time and a lot of time and research went into booking this trip (apparently not quite enough though). We chose to ignore the bad reviews and found them to be right on the money for the most part. To be fair, there are certainly some great things about this resort, and like someone mentioned in a previous review, there is a good deal of potential. However, there are some major overhauls that are needed in order to get this to the level of a true luxury resort, as it claims to be.

We've used TripAdvisor quite a bit for booking vacations and always appreciate the honest reviews. This is the first time that we've actually sat down to write a review about a place ourselves, and it's only because we feel the need to let others know what to expect of this resort. To start, the grounds and the beach look like they do in the pictures. Very nice and the sand is super soft, like brown sugar. There is quite a bit of seaweed but it does get cleaned regularly; not much that can be done about that. It's a fairly new resort and they certainly can make it much better than it is now.

The rooms - we finally understood what people meant about the musty smell once we got there. It's in the towels, the pillows, just in the air. I washed my bathing suit one night and hung it up to dry only to find it still almost completely wet a day and a half later! We were on the ground floor and some have mentioned that it may be due to that, but I get the impression it was the same to some extent on the higher floors as well. The bathroom was nice but it also seemed to have that moldy, mildewy smell. All of our clothes acquired that smell after being in the room for six days and we washed them immediately upon arriving back home to get that stench out. They are nice rooms otherwise. I will say that someone mentioned earlier that it echoes so loudly in the hallways from people talking (or yelling) as they are walking by and I'm surprised that not that many people have brought it up as it can be extremely annoying when you are trying to sleep.

We got sunburned the first day, so my advice on that is just make sure to bring adequate sunscreen for the powerful sun so that you don't have to shell out $20-$30 for some sunscreen at the gift shop that you could buy back home for under $10. Same goes for the aloe/after sun lotion (or anything really) - bring your own unless you want to pay double or triple.

And finally...the one thing that has gotten quite a bit of complaints and that ruined the entire trip for us - the food. There are little things here and there that could be improved upon and are minor inconveniences and could be easily overlooked. But this absolutely cannot be. For the money you pay, you expect to get some quality out of the food. We spoke with other guests and the general opinion was that the food was just terrible. As others mentioned, you had to make reservations at the restaurants, which were always completely booked except for one or two and then you got there to find half the restaurant empty. They were probably better than the buffet though, which was...I cannot find words to describe this. Suffice it to say there are a very few things that are good, a handful that are decent, and the rest are just plain awful. The staff is nice indeed but how can you tip when the food is horrible? And when it makes you sick? As I type, we have gotten back home and visited the nearby urgent care for the diarrhea and overall nausea that started halfway through our trip and hasn't completely let up since. A couple hours spent at the urgent care after getting back from our trip and a round of antibiotics later (for both of us), all I can say is - it is not worth it. If you have the strongest stomach known to man and can deal with food that has no flavor and that makes you sick then go for it. Otherwise, save yourself the trouble and don't waste your money like we did. We're still trying to figure out what it was exactly that made us sick, but honestly, it doesn't matter. It was enough to convince us that we would never go back and that we wouldn't recommend this resort (or Punta Cana in general) to anyone. As a closing remark, I found it funny that the doctor at the urgent care told me that just in the past week he had seen another couple that had gotten back from Punta Cana sick and miserable with a stomach bug just like us. Definitely don't do it to yourself. If you still think it will be ok and want to take the risk, at least do yourself the favor and pack a mini medicine chest to hold you over until you can get back home and see your doctor, which you inevitably will have to do.

2 Thank wearevacationpeople
glenwood, nj
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Loved the beauty and cleanliness of this place. Right next door at the NH Real is another world. Run down and overcrowded. We were so pleased we went with the top choice. The staff was lovely. Deibei and Dewar at the pool bar were fabulous and hardworking. The young girl with them had trainee on her tag was equally wonderful. Girl at reception during day could use a little attitude adjustment. Restaurant staff are so wonderful and hard working. They need more light weight uniforms. They were sweating so much. Felt bad for them. Food was good. Buffet immaculate. Good selection. Beach palapas too close together and was never waited on for drinks while on the beach. Didn't mind going to pool bar but sometimes it would have been nice. Beach gorgeous. Great security. Very serious. Felt very safe. Rooms gorgeous and immaculate. Need facial tissues in the rooms. Very odd not there. Wish we could have stayed longer and would definetly go back.

2 Thank karenbearcountry
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here from May 14 to the 21st. Our check in went smoothly and we were greeted with a cold drink. We requested an ocean front room and we were upgraded to a suite for an extra 40 dollars a night. The money was well worth it. We were put in a suite -ocean front- two bathrooms-living area with pull out couch and table and chairs. The bedroom was huge. The balcony had a round hot tub and a shower. Nice table and chairs and a lounge chair. Our suite however was part of the NH Arena which wasn't a problem because we could use both resorts. The only thing I didn't like was that all the activities and entertainment were in the Arena resort. The resort is quite spread out but you can call and get a golf cart to take you where you want to go.

Food was average at the buffet and we always found something we liked. But the different resorts we have been to in the past have had much better food. We did order room service several times and it was good and arrived in about 25 minutes. We only went to the Mexican restaurant and it was very good but not Mexican food.

The best part of this resort is the workers and the beach. The people work very hard and they are so friendly and cannot do enough for you. The beach is awesome!! No vendors on the beach but they do come to the resort twice a week and that is really nice. Just remember to bargain with them on the price of the items you want.

Last I would like to say if you are looking for a very quiet and relaxing place this is it. This was a good deal for the money we paid. I was however disappointed because this was our 43rd anniversary and my husbands 65th birthday and we were given nothing special for this even though I did mention this when we checked in. I would love to go back to Punta Cana but would probably stay somewhere different only because I like to try different resorts.

3 Thank gug