“Would not return”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
White Plains, New York
“Would not return”
Reviewed 7 June 2010

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful and the staff is very friendly and attentive. However, the hotel does not put the air conditioning on. My boyfriend and I sweltered every minute of everyday. The in-room air conditioners do not not go below 75 and there is no air conditioning in the lobby, casino or restaurants. Also, although the rooms are very clean there are no exhaust fans in the bathrooms so the rooms have a musty, damp smell. The food is bad, and they do not include top shelf liquors in the all-inclusive package, however they are available at one bar in the nh real side for an additional fee. This hotel was not horrible but I would never return.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danielle1038

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,499)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 7 June 2010

The resort was beautiful and very clean as was the beach and pool. The working staff was very friendly and always smiling and saying hello to everyone.
The hotel lobby really was the most unimpressive I've ever seen in all my travels. The Royal Beach is suppose to be a 5 star yet the NHReal next door has a lobby ten times more impressive.
The Lobby and restuarants are very hot and not air conditioned which I thought was strange considering the climate. Our room was not cold enough even though we requested it be repaired three times. The pool is really nice as is the pool bar except they run out of certain brands and cannot replenish until the next day. They ran out of Malibu Rum two days in a row and one of those days Malibu Rum was in the "drink of the day".
The bartenders explained that they only get 4 bottles of Malibu Rum each day - if they run out, they cannot get any more from management (weird for a supposed 5 star resort) !
Do not trust the Segway salesman that hangs around the resort. He lies and tells you that everything is included in the Segway tour for $79 each - only to find out once you are bussed 30 minutes away that only the Segway tour is covered for the $79 and everything else is extra.
The Segway salesman was so greedy for a sale that he put down the $100 deposit for two people that we met at the pool because they had no cash on them at the time (they were in the pool).
Once we all got to the Segway tour location we found out the truth that nothing else was included. Needless to say the couple got ripped off and when they returned to the resort we had to talk with the salesman's supervisor.
The salesman then stalked the couple the rest of their stay. He walked throughout the resort, even disrupting their breakfast and bothered them while they were in the pool. He stalked me and my wife because he wanted to know where "our friends " were. We both told him that they were not our friends and that we just met them.
The next day was the final straw for me. I witnessed the salesman confronting the couple again at the pool and could tell they were very uncomfortable and getting tired of this. I literally had to physically push him away and threatened him with pain if he didn't stop bothering the guests.
The saddest part of all of this is that the hotel did very little if anything top stop this jerk from walking the grounds and harrassing us. He is a vendor that the hotel allows in, but this is rediculous behavior and should not be tolerated. His actions ruined our vacation because we spent a good deal of time dealing with his harassement.
The hotel was beautiful - don't get me wrong. The management staff did nothing to help and I was disappointed with them. As far as the rest of the staff - they were outstanding. I probably spent over $300 in tips the whole week for those who really shined (and there were many).
I would not go back to this resort for that price. The hotel next door was much more happening and lively and cost less.

1 Thank jarhed
Atlanta,Ga
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We booked our Hotel at the very last minute for mid May, the evening before leaving for Punta Cana and we could not have done it without the help of Ann Linquist from Cheapcaribbean.
I know this was a challenge because it was 5:30 PM EST. I gave her a choice of 2 or 3 hotels we were interested in visiting. Ann went out of her way to make this happen. Thank you Ann!

On her recommendation we had a wonderful stay at the NH Royal Hotel, one of the 3 hotels on our list. The beach was beautiful, with lots of lounge chairs & shade availlable. They even had bar service right to your chair.The pool area was spotless with lots of chairs & shaded areas. Be sure to bring a raft for the lazy river. We did bring rafts & left them with guests staying at the resort. There several water activities and events going on during the day at the beach and pool area.

We were very pleased with the food selections, breakfast buffet had a large selection of wonderful fresh fruits strawberries, melons, papayas, mangos, passion fruit. There was at least 5 cereals to choose from, and meats, cheeses, made to order omlet station as well as fried & scrambled eggs. Pastries of all kinds, bagels, and wonderful breads. Also an assortment of hot breakfast items and regional specialty foods. I could go on & on, best of all were Mimosas & Bloody Marys...
Lunch had a large similar selection as breakfast of fruits ,fish, hamburgers, pizza, salads, cheeses, pastries, ice cream. We also walked over to the barbeque buffet at the NH Real so we could eat on the beach. They grilled kebabs of pork, beef & chicken legs which were delicious.They also had a assortment of salads, sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, fruit, and cheeses....
Dinner, we went to 3 of the speciality restaurants Pure which had a tasting menu we enjoyed all of it, however it stayed the same during the 6 days we were there.
Cinque Terre the Italian was also good, but with a limited selection for entrees, either seafood or beef, you could also choose the pasta as an entree.
El Montero, Mexican this restaurant had the largest selection of entrees beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, fresh fish .. We enjoyed it very much but we were expecting Mexican food, they had an appetizer bar which was Mexican but the entrees were more international.

Service in all the restaurants was excellent, servers were friendly and attentive. All restaurents only serve beer, wine or a drink of the evening. We did some tipping to the servers and maid service but it is not required.

The grounds were very lush and very well manicured .

Check in was fast but our room was not ready we arrived around 2:30, we were greeted with a cool fruit drink and waited in the lobby .During our wait we made our reservations for the restaurants for the week. Our room was ready around 4pm, however the safe was not working, security came within minutes however it took about 90 minutes to fix. We requested a room with a non smoking, ocean view , king bed. We received a second floor room with an oceanview, two queen beds..not bad for such short notice. We did mention it was my husbands birthday, but nothing special occured.

Rooms were sparten, modern, but clean with everything you needed. AC was fine, except at night around 2 AM it got warm. Daytime maid service was good, our room was usually cleaned by 2 PM. Evening turndown service was spotty at best, so I got extra towels & from the Day maid service in case I needed them. One of the evenings we left a tip for turn down service and they did not take the money....

I would definitely request a third level floor for 2 reasons, privacy so you could use the jacuzzi tub, second the tile floors are very noisy and it sounded like there was a group of elephants above us all the time...

Entertainment was scheduled every night, however if it rained (which it did every evening we were there except once) it was canceled because it was all outdoors. Saw the Circus show and it was excellent. The Casino area was small with about 20 slot machines and five card tables. There was an upstairs club area on the NH Real side that was different live music each night and dancing.

We had a delightful time at NH Royal, Punta Cana and we would highly recommend this resort to others and a big thanks to Ann at CheapCaribbean.com.

1 Thank dj917
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 6 June 2010

This hotel was overpriced. While it looked nice, the hotel room smelled, the food sucked and the resort was kind of empty.

I guess since I am used to cruising to destinations such as this resort, I know the comfort in the cruise ship itself. The resort was okay, it was not as pretty as the pictures shown. The rooms smelled and misquitos were always in our room b/c when the ladys clean the room, they always mop the floor, leaving the doors open so bugs get in. The pillows smelled and we always had to ask for extra towels. The bed was not comfortable-- but the bathroom was up to our taste.

the pool area was fun, but kinda boring... nothing much to do unless you're willing to spend $100 a person to see the town, or go on a shark swimming excursion. The pool bars were fun, the staff were all VERY NICE... but like no one spoke english.. which was sometimes annoying. They always give you the cheapest liquor unless you specify you want the higher end (which is still gross lol). Grey goose is avail, but you have to pay for it.

The food SUCKED. The buffets were always weird food that turned me off and had me eating white rice at most meals. The cheese was DISGUSTING-- I am a cheese lover nad all the cheese they have tasted sour... so I think they make their own cheese... most dry products were stale b/c of how humid it is.... cereal, chips... all stale... the only salad dressing they have is ceasar..

The staff was really nice... but i guess all the extra charges started to annoy me... esp since I wasnt getting the food I was expecting. Had to tip everyone at the end (typical) pay for any excursion,, WE HAD TO PAY TO GET INTO HTE COUNRY.. wtfreak is that??? $20 right when you get off the plane. Then we had to pay $5 extra at US Air leaving to check our bag (he said it was a tax)... but i guess everything else was okay.

I would not go back here... I will prob never do an all inclusive trip again.... or stay on this island... there was not much to do.. and I think I would rather be around all american chefs, american entertainment and know i am safe in american arms.

OH ALSO... there is NO AC like anywhere on the resort. Both lobbys have NO AIR... its so muggy... the night club... is ALLL OPEN... so its hot, sweaty and just not comfortable... the dining rooms dont have AC either... and on top of it not having AC... you have to RESRVE to go to a resturant. Yet, all rests. are not open each night... only certain nights, and so you have to make sure you get on booking your reservation ahead of time. The day we arrived we couldnt get a reservation b/c it was after 3pm... wth... so yea.. that was really annoying too. but like i said hte rest. food wasnt any better than the buffets.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We just got back from this incredible place where we had an outstanding time. The service is really out of this world. Especially Neudy. Also worth mentioning were Miguel, Hansel, Zamora, Felix, Deivy and Jeniffer. Their service was totally out of this world! The hotels grounds were immaculate, and the room was big and very comfortable. Food was spectacular with many different dishes to choose from every night. The Gala night dinner was out of this world! Same can be said for the drinks.
Overall, the experience was a very pleasant and relaxing.

Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Arrived Apr. 5 for 2 wks. as part of a 20 person wedding group. Stayed first 2 nites at Real
Arena -as this is where we were booked. When wedding party arrived apr 8 we were upgraded to the Royal Beach. We thought the arena was nice-but the Royal Beach had so much more going for it it was amazing. The 2 nites at the Arena was good but unable to get al a carte reservations for at least 4-5 days. Food at the buffet was good anyway. When we went the the Royal we had no problems with dinner reservations in either place. Food at both buffets was excellent along with the beach buffet which we went to on many occasions for a change. I enjoyed the time looking at at the food before making my decision. Egg variety in the a.m. was great along with the smoked salmon, cheese etc. The wedding was all in place with all arrangments being superb and the rehersal dinner at the senses was great , but the wedding dinner at Monterro topped it all off. Tremendous setting(outdoors) appetizers,dinner and dessert was the best that one could ask for.(wine / champagne was plentiful) The wedding and flowers were among the best. Our room with the balcony jacuzzi was delightful(used it everyday) and then went out for dinner. This was all after agreat day around the pool relaxing,talking with the bartenders(who were great) or having a stroll on the beautiful clean beach.We enjoyed our vacation so much that we are looking to go back for Christmas/New Years. I have already reccomended this resort to some friends as you can,t miss.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank tom154963
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Stayed over the holiday weeked to thuresday. And had a great time!! I was very pleased with the resort and staff. Discovery beach tour was wounderfel, also the buggie tour was a blast but did get kind of scary going out on the road with traffic. weather was overcast most of the time but it is humid as hell.. I thought florida was humid. Met great people during the day and there is allway a place to go just relax by youself our mingle at the pool bar. Only disapointment of the trip was the food. I like to try diferent things but some stuff they had was crazy or it was bland I mean ho puts corn on pizza. we tried to slip into the steak house they had but they said no, and the people walking out sead good thing beacause they wouldnt feed it to there dog. I was able to find atleast one thing I could get down. but othere than that it was a great trip and resort.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple