“Fantastic resort with fantasit people!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
“Fantastic resort with fantasit people!”
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I might say that this is my very first review on TripAdvisor, and this was the first time I travelled solo to a beach resort. I work for the hospitality industry myself, so I felt the need to share my experience with other travelers and colleagues with a fair review. I went for a business trip to Dominican Republic and I had the luck to stay at NH Royal Beach for 3 nights. As you can imagine I was frightened of going by myself to a beautiful paradisiacal Caribbean resort. This is indeed a place for couples and not so much for “solo” travelers. I guess groups will also enjoy this place very much. Despite this fact nobody would ever felt alone or left behind here. The staff made my trip memorable, they never let me felt sad, lonely, or anything like that! Thank you very much to all the friendly staff.

CHECK IN: I had a really fast and easy check-in with Esmiley (who really had a smile on his face all the time). I was placed in a double beds suite, but since I was going my myself I asked Esmiley if he could move me to a one bed room and he didn’t even hesitate, he made the switch in a glance! I was so happy with this. I had also requested a suite with a quiet location and high floor, and that was exactly what I got. The start was terrific!

RESORT: The resort itself is beautiful, very clean with well kept grounds. Decoration is simple and beautiful with a touch of modern and Caribbean style.

ROOM: it was a beautiful suite, with nice warm and Caribbean accents and colors. A beautiful terrace with a nice view and a Jacuzzi! I would have enjoyed this more if I was coming with my significant other, this is a nice touch. I had my coffee machine and a daily re-stocked mini fridge (included, this was perfect). The bathroom has a good space, two sinks (perfect when you travel with someone else), toiletries from Agua de la Tierra (loved the soap and conditioner).

HOUSE KEEPING: this people really need an applause, my room was never dirty, they made the suite 2 or 3 times a day, turn down service was impeccable, and toiletries where always replaced! Kudos to housekeeping department!

FOOD AND BEVERAGES: this was the HIGHLIGHT of my trip! I was impressed by the service at Festival Buffet and Pure (French restaurant). I do not remember everyone’s name but I’ll give it a try. Special thanks to Zamora, Orlando, Felix, Josefa, Hansel (my personal favorite waiter), Rafael, Sr. Domingo (Service Manager), Jose (Somelier), Desleydis?, and others. These people made me feel so welcome with their constant care, smiles and small chats….you are the best service I’ve ever experienced so far! Thank you all for taking such good care of me!!! I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Punzano (Food and Beverages Director) my last morning, and I know why this team is great. He is very pleasant and looks like a very organized man and good leader. I must say Mr. Punzano has great assets on his staffing from Pure and Festival Buffet, I bet he knows that.

The Food: the buffet has a good variety of dishes at every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I personally liked breakfast more than lunch and dinner, although I’ve only had dinner once at the Dominican buffet day, el Chivo was a really good dish! Brekfast buffet has a Margarita and Bloddy Marys station, which I really appreciated.
But what really took my heart away was PURE. The staff and service were superb! The food was really good too, I think I had the best Grouper I’ve ever had in years, a fine ceviche, and great steak. But the highlight of my dinner (besides the amazing staff) was for 2 days in a row the CHOCOLATE VOLCANO. This is my favorite dessert in the world, so I can call myself as an expert on this dessert. I won’t be too long on this one but I’ve rated this as one of the bests I’ve ever had! Kudos to the chef!!!!! I could even write a review about this dessert itself!

I’ve ordered room service twice (for breakfast and dinner) it came to my room in a very adequate time, service was great, and the food was better than expected! I was very surprised with this since I am not a really fan of room service, but this was really good food. I even liked the room service pizza better that the one at the buffet.

POOLS: I am not a pool person, but the pool there was beautiful. I took several pictures from this because I was impressed of the layout. Groups and couples seemed to enjoyed it very much.

BEACH: this is what I like! The beach was beautiful, very wide, with plenty of chairs and small tables available for guests. I’ve never arrived early to the beach to play the chair game, and I’d never had a problem finding a lounger or a good spot. There was a security officer (Juan?)who was the kindest ever! I left my book at my chair on the beach for about 1 hour and then came back, he kept an eye on it the entire time! I thought that was very sweet and I really appreciated this, since this was my favorite book! The ocean is beautiful, no seaweed, crystal clear water, like one would expect in the Caribbean. Simply LOVED the beach here!

Resort Boutique: I know this is a concession but worth to advise travelers from this. It was a very nice size boutique with a little bit of everything. I’ve found the prices here very reasonable and even ended up buying plenty of souvenirs here (it was the same price than going downtown or to the close by mall). The boutique attendants were great! So friendly and always with a smile. They gave me really good advises on what to get and best for my budget!

I also want to say thankyou to Salvador, who helped me so much with my computer and internet connection. :)

Well, to summarize it: GO THERE!!! I have already recommended this to friends and family, and I would recommend this place to any travelers (specially couples) who want to spend a nice gateway, good food with a SUPERB SERVICE AND STAFF. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank zukogirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,558)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 December 2010

There's only one word to describe our vacation at NH Royal Beach: excellent!!

After having traveled to many countries and vacation places I have to say this experience was far more enjoyable than anything else we had before.

I booked this place about 4 months in advance after having spent a few days reading the reviews. Even after making the reservation I kept following all the reviews and was very worried that our expectations would not be met for our anniversary vacation.

All I have to say: we enjoyed every minute of our stay at this wonderful place, we admired the beautiful beach and hotel facilities, we enjoyed every minute of the day animation and the night shows, we savored a huge range of delicious food and kept falling more and more in love with each other astonished by the magical atmosphere of the place.

My husband kept saying me "thank you" every day for making such a great choice with the place to stay.

I would like to especially point out how friendly the staff is. All of them are working real hard to provide the best service possible. The animation team: Acon, Nataniel, Eimy, Francisco, Angie, Henry were extremely friendly and helpful. They worked all day and night (staring from teaching morning yoga classes to participating in night shows) to make our stay pleasant and fun. Their overwhelming energy and talent can not be underestimated.

What we were extremely happy with was the activities the hotel had on offer.
First 2 days we were just hanging out at the beach sipping all of those delicious drinks at the bar, while the rest of the stay we enjoyed a more active pastime including water sports (kayaking, windsurfing, water-skis), dancing, workout, learning Spanish, painting etc.

Every night started with a dinner at one of the 6 or 7 restaurants, then drinks accompanied by romantic music at the open bar, then followed by an incredible night show (different every night). After the midnight options included an onsite casino and a night club.
The only thing which we unfortunately were not informed about on the arrival was a possibility to check out the local night clubs outside of the hotel by taking a regular nightly bus tour (12am-4am).
Night activities at the hotel were over by 1:30 so going outside was a great option for party animals.

A few words about other guests: we’ve met people from around the world. What's amazing is that for some of the tourists it was their 3rd or 4th time at this place.
Also, for us as a family with no kids “adults only” option was a great idea. Many families who could leave the kids at home enjoyed it even more than us 

All in all, this place is a safe, fun and wonderful destination with excellent service and we will definitely recommend it to all of our friends. Moreover, we are already looking forward to return here ourselves some time next year.

2 Thank irena_st
ontario and nova scotia
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Just returned from a very relaxing week at such a wonderful place! The front desk staff were very helpful and offered a very quick check-in. One of our room keys (card) did not work and needed to be exchanged x 2. Each time it was a 2 min. process and painless. The room safe was a digital key system and very easy to use - great size ...lots of space for a laptop or ipad computer.
We had a swim up lazy river room - the building opposite to us recieved full day sun which we were jealous of. Our ground floor terrace was about 10 steps to the lazy river and saw about 1.5 hours of sun around noon. All the same, it was fantastic to have a pool steps from our room - very clean, refreshing and beautiful to look at.
The only complaint I have of the room was the air conditioning - the room smelled very musty/moldy. After a few days we realized the smell wasnt the room but the air conditioning system. Times that we didnt use it the smell was not evident. This runs to all rooms on the same sytem which makes sense why others noted the same moldy smell. It's certainly not the room, as it was spotless!!!!!!
The cleaning staff were amazing!!! Fresh towels with day service, and again fresh towels during the nighttime turndown service. What a treat to come back to our room after dinner and drinks and see our bedding turned down, soft linen cloth at each side of the bed to brush sand from feet before getting under the covers - what a treat- and it certainly amplified the feeling of being on vacation!
The beach - amazing!! Very clean, staff were continually cleaning garbage left behind by vacationers. The beach staff were very happy and engaging with stretching class or dance lessons on the beach -they turned the music off around noon allowing vacationers periods of silence to soak up the sun, listen to the waves and have a nap :) Never a shortage of clean beach towels and they didnt keep track of how many you had during your stay - if you wanted one, you got one.
We loved the option of either lazing on the beach, at the swim up bar pool or in the lazy river - lots of variety and every area was so serene visually.
The food was not fantastic but it wasn't horrible either. We had another 5 star experience to compare with so it's fair to say our taste buds had high expectations (St. James Club in Antigua - the best food ever!) I loved the 'tex mex' restaruant called El Morato...the side bar had nachos, fajitas and all kinds of fresh dipping sauces - awesome!! I wished we had booked another night or two in this restaurant (and you had a choice of what you wanted from the menu). Room service speed was fantastic, however we found the two choices we made very dry (sandwiches) and the pizza different from what they served at the buffet. FYI- I just read a review on here this morning that room service provided vacationers with items that were not on the room menu - I didnt think of asking - nachos would have been a delicious late night snack!
Based on the reviews on this site we anticipated the Pure restaurant to be amazing. If you do not like fish, I wouldnt recommend booking this one . They served multiple appetizers that were 90% fish based. If you have an appetite - this is the restaurant to book as they just keep coming with more and more and more food. At Pure, a la cart menu means- you get everything on the menu! You do not get to choose what you want to order. Same with the Asian restaurant.
The service at the pool bar was good - the service at all the other bars was fabulous! The best tasting drinks were at the out door plaza - main lobby bar. Lots of variety and they were happy to make any off the menu drinks as well. Fantastic service and very, very friendly staff.
The gym - lots of variety in comparison to other resorts we have stayed at. They kept it relatively clean. Usually clean towels to use during your workout. I didnt find any single mats to use to do floor exerices but no big issue. I did find it too hot during the workout as there wasnt any air conditioner in use - the windows were open. I liked that there were multiple areas for various machines - it didnt feel like you were in someone elses space and crowding/disturbing their workout.
Our only real complaint was that we had to leave at the end of a VERY enjoyable vacation. We plan to go again next year.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sunseekers4346
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We were at NH Royal Beach from Nov 22 - Dec 1 and overall, had a fabulous time.

Rooms - spacious and very comfortable. Minibar refill service was hit or miss, but after a call to the front desk, we would get service pretty quick. Housekeeping very good and the woman who did turndown service at night was incredibly nice and always in such a good mood. Jacuzzi tub on the balcony is nice, but the jets aren't that powerful. We first had a regular room that faced the back of the property - it was fine, but then we upgraded to a swim-up room (15 USD extra a day and worth it), which I would highly recommend.

Service - Extremely good everywhere on the Royal side - we usually ate outside at the buffet to the right - and consistently had better service there. Service on the Real side restaurants left a lot to be desired.

Pool - yes, water is a little cool, but after a minute in there, you're fine. My guess is it's low 70s - very similar to most lap swim/competitive pools in the states. Swim-up bar was great and the best bartenders at this bar! And yes, people reserve those chairs awfully early, so we rarely got one. I wish they would enforce their "no reserving" rule more - some chairs would be saved all day long and you wouldn't even see a person for hours! The lazy river isn't so much a lazy river - more a pool that winds around the property. If you're used to a lazy river like those in vegas hotels or water parks, this one has virtually no current. The atmosphere around the pool is very quiet and relaxing - but if you wanted to meet others and "party" a bit more, the pool bar in the afternoons was the place to be.

Beach - nice white sand and they do a good job of cleaning up the sea grass every day. If you go walking down the beach, you will be harassed by people wanting you to go to their shops - we found that ignoring them was actually the best way to handle. if you even say "no, gracias" they will follow you. We were not bothered by them directly in front of the hotels at all. I did do some open water swimming out by the buoy line and despite being there during "windier" days, I found it quite pleasant and not as wavy as the pacific ocean. The water is clearer once you get out a bit. We also did some sea kayaking and the water is nice further out.

Spa - we did massages on the beach - they were nice and totally worth the cost (100 USD), but wished we had booked deep tissue massages - that's what we are used to. The fitness center equipment is slightly dated, but more than adequate if you want to get in a quick workout.

Wifi - we got the 25 hours for 25 USD - it was a little slow at times, but worked for basic checking in on the iphone. we had trouble logging in the first day, but the IT guy that set us up helped get it working and even remembered us the next day and asked if it was still working.

Food - we set our expectations low for the buffet and actually were pleasantly surprised. After being there 10 days, we were a little tired of it, but there was usually enough variety and food cooked to order to keep us happy. The grill that was open in the afternoon was always good.
Pure - we had a great meal here - its a chef's tasting menu and changes daily, so probably explains the mixed reviews here.
Mexican on Royal side - my steak was overcooked and sides were just ok.
Buffet by the beach on Real side - very small selection, but its open an hour earlier than the Royal buffet in case you're doing an excursion and need to grab a quick bite.
Shore Grill on Real side - one of our best meals. steak and lamb both cooked to perfection.
Senses on Real side - it was edible but wasn't great.
Cinque Terre - the worst meal ever. Service was horrible to begin with - took about 20 minutes to get a glass of wine and water - we were very close to walking out. The antipasti plate is awful. The pasta course was ok, but then the main course was horrible. we actually took a few bites (and we both had different things) and at that point, walked out it was so bad and went to the Royal buffet.
In addition to the service on the Real side being notably worse than the Royal side, their house wines are also awful. They taste like a really bad bottle of two buck chuck! The house wine on the Royal side was drinkable.
Room service - menu was small, but we learned towards the end of our trip that you can apparently order other things not on the menu. Service was always extremely quick - 10 mins or less and is available 24 hours.

Entertainment - the music on the Royal side gets a little old since its basically the same thing every night. but it is nice to sit out and just relax and listen to music. We caught the 2nd half of the Michael Jackson show - it was good. Also the cirque show was great. The disco was ok - some good music and some really bad - bar service there not as good. The casino was tiny.

So, overall a wonderful trip. We got a great deal through the hotels website directly - was 140 USD per night - and totally worth every penny! We would definitely go back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SFpol
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 6 December 2010

My wife and I stayed 5 nights from November 28 - December 3 and we loved the place! It was our first trip to the tropics and we left craving more. To provide some demographic perspective, we're 26 and have been married for four years, and we were looking for a relaxing experience. There are two adjacent hotels on this property, the NH Royal Beach (adults only) and the NH Real Arena. The resorts are closely connected, so if you're looking for a more relaxing perspective, Royal Beach is the place to be and if you want more entertainment options, head on over to the Real Arena for more energetic nightly performances, the casino, sports bar, bowling, shopping, etc. One of our favorite ways to end the day was by hanging out in the balcony jacuzzi, listening to the nightly live music on the Royal Beach plaza. The entire staff was friendly, eager, helpful, and they made the stay enjoyable from check-in to check-out.

When we arrived we were warmly greeted by the bellhop, offered a nice papaya beverage at the check-in desk, and escorted to our room quickly. The bellhop was kind and informative as he escorted us to our room. The room was spacious and clean when we arrived and the maid staff did an excellent job maintaining that through the week. Some of the comments about clothes feeling damp were correct, but it really was no more than a very minor nuisance and we didn't notice it that much until we returned home to the U.S. and unpacked (it is the tropics after all). Loved the turn down service as well, as we always returned to a prepared room after dinner.

After you get checked-in, head to the guest services desk in the lobby and make your dinner reservations for the restaurants for the week. We enjoyed Pure (international), El Mortero (Tex Mex), and the Italian Restaurant. The Shore Grill (steakhouse) was unimpressive, I ordered the rib-eye and it was very tough. My wife's beef tenderloin was much more tender, but still not the greatest. The buffet was good, not overly impressive, but also not terrible. They offer enough diverse options to find a satisfying meal.

The beach was relaxing, but be aware that you'll be approached daily by guys offering different water sports options. This should only happen once or twice a day so the intrusion is very minor and it doesn't spoil the experience. There is daily yoga on the beach in the morning if you so choose, followed by a dance lesson and volleyball.

So this review is actually longer than I anticipated, so I should wrap it up. In summary, we loved the resort! It was clean and relaxing with very talented and friendly service. The food overall was average. We would definitely return and will recommend the NH Royal Beach to everyone we know.

2 Thank JJR238
North Carolina
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We were married at this hotel on Nov. 30, 2010 and felt this hotel was perfect for us in every way.

We stayed at the NH Royal Beach. The rooms were very clean and spacious. This is the adult only side. Rooms seemed nicer here and no opening to the bathroom from the bedroom on this side which some people did not like at NH Arena. We had a great jacuzzi tub on the balcony. Our balcony was very private but some were not. The higher floors seemed to offer a little more privacy.

It seems worth the upgrade as well to the Royal Beach from the Arena because you can use the restaurants and amenities on both sides whereas with the Arena you have fewer restaurants to choose from.

If you wanted to get married at the resort, this should not be a problem if children are invited because both hotels are side by side and this would be a matter of walking a few hundred feet down the beach to the side where children are welcomed.

There was plenty of space for everyone on the beach, but it is a good idea to get some towels and reserve your chairs before you go to breakfast, if you want a choice location.

The beach had some small waves but was pleasant for swimming. There is some seaweed, but it did not impede our swimming or enjoyment. Topless is considered okay on the beach and several people were topless daily. We did observe at least one male who tanned nude on the beach. While this did not seem to be the norm, it also did not seem to be a problem, so it is something to consider as far as one's comfort level.

We booked two excursions at the hotel and would recommend booking them before you leave home. If you book them at the resort, the process is efficient, but you will only be able to pay with Cash. Cash is only available at an ATM machine close to the entrance of the resort. Spa services can be paid by card.

The restaurants: Buffet food was good and varied with a different theme every night.

The Tex Mex restaurant did not have a menu like any Tex Mex we have ever experienced, but we had some delicious beef.

The Asian Restaurant was more or less a Japanese Style Steakhouse. Very tastefully decorated and with a set menu of beef, chicken, shrimp and fried rice, along with fried ice cream for dessert.

The Shore Restaurant had the feeling of a US Chain Restaurant with offerings such as chicken wings, ribs and fried onions.

The Italian was our personal favorite. The beef was cooked well and service good.

These seemed the most noteworthy. It would be a good idea to make dinner reservations for the entire week upon your arrival so you have a good choice of times and choice of restaurants. You can always change later or decide not to go at all if you should so choose.

The wedding was great. The wedding coordinator planned everything for us and it was very easy. There is a company called "wedo" which will take care of getting all your documents ready through the consulate. You need only to show up and choose some flowers from a list of photos, a cake, etc. The process takes about 30 minutes. It would be a good idea to download some music from home or at least take some titles which the wedding coordinator can download.

The resort provides a photographer for the wedding. There are several packages. The prints were $10 each for a 6 by 8, but if you wanted the CD with around 175 images and around 100 prints, the price was around $800.

There were shows nightly and a disco, but we did not personally go to the disco.

Our overall experience was great. Everyone was very nice and seemed to want to do a good job. A little Spanish would help you, but the staff speak enough English that this will not be a problem.

3 Thank roadrider59
Queens, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2010

We stayed at the NH Royal Beach from November 29th-till December 4th. Lets not make this too long.
The Room: Nice. Very clean. Great shower with 2 sink, no bathtub. Nice 2 person hot tub on the balcony. 24 hour room service, mini bar was nice. Room has a safe.
The pool: beautiful, well kept, clean. COLD water. lots of chairs on the NH Arena Side.
The beach: Very nice. White sand that doesn't burn your feet. Lots of chairs with umbrellas. Water was a little rough, but nice.
Food: The other posts are correct. The food is not the strong point of this hotel. The wife liked the sea food at Pure. The steak place and the tex mex were ok at best. The buffet has lots of food. none great, but all was edible.
Service: All over the place. The buffet service was excellent. the bars were hit or miss. front desk mostly good, made you feel welcomed and check in was fast and painless.
To sum it all up, this was a very pretty place, food was ok, service above average. the price for the value was over all pretty good.

2 Thank smuletta