“Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lindenhurst, New York, USA
“Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Just got back from the Paradisus on 7/17/12, went there on a family vacation with 15 immediate family members. Stayed in The Reserve. The room was beautiful and the service was outstanding. When we first arrived we went to lunch at the Hydro Grill and Santo Ozana was our waiter and also Deivi Cueto and they made our trip great from the first meal until the last, anything we needed they were than happy to help us with. It was myself, my wife and our 3 kids ages 5, 3, and 2. My five year old still asks if Santo is going to bring him food and we keep explaining to him that Santo is back at the hotel. We spent everyday at the beach and their was a memeber of the staff that was great also and his name was Francisco Estrella. On our first full day at the resort Fransico approached us and asked if we needed anything and from that point forward he helped greatly, we had chaise lounges everyday with towels in the same spot reserved. He knew what my kids wanted to drink along with myself and my wife. While we were at the pool at the Reserve we had a pool waiter named Adalberto Jimenez and he was also very helpful, just like Francisco he knew what the kids wanted as far as drinks and food. My son fell in love with the nachos and Adelberto always had them ready when he got out of the pool or when we got back from the beach and sat by the pool. All 4 gentleman definitely deserve a raise, they were the hardest working people that my family dealt with. One turn off though was that we had a concierge assigned to us and he showed us around the resort and brought us to the desk for some of our vouchers. as he was getting the vouchers taken care of he started to pitch my wife and I the time share and we asked how long the meeting was and he said 90 minutes. It wasn't the amount of time that turned me off it was that once we said we had the another time share he couldn't be bothered with us. That was a HUGE turnoff. Something that my wife found odd was that when she asked him about some of the logistics of the resort he didn't really know. For example, she asked how big the property was and how many employees there were and he didn't have an answer. You can walk to different parts of the property put there is golf cart service to take you different parts of the resort, and these gentleman were more helpful than our concierge. If the concierge sentences upset anyone, please don't think about not going because they were only about 1hour of our trip. The Resort was so beautiful, my wife and I are thinking about taking the kids back in 2 years and renew our wedding vows. This resort was the BEST place her or I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: If possible stay in The Reserve. It is away from the main resort and if you have small children the...
1 Thank James P
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear James,

I would like to extend you my gratitude for selecting us to celebrate your family vacation and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay. It is a pleasure for me to hear that you had a great stay with us.

I feel proud to know that Santos Ozuna, Deivi Cueto, Francisco Estrella, and Adalberto Jimenez participated in making your stay more enjoyable by providing you with excellent service, and your mention of them in this review is really appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We will be waiting for you and your family at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,432)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We recently spent 5 nights at the Reserve at Paradisus and had a great experience. This is a hotel within a hotel and worth the extra room rate. We stayed in a 1 bedroom Master Suite with 2 adults and 2 kids (14 & 12). We were provided what is known as a Family Concierge, Mr. Silvio Lantigua and he was available for any kind of request that we had. He did an excellent job of making us feel very comfortable during our visit and anticipating our needs. The staff at The Reserve is well trained. We especially had a great time with the servers at the Beach. We sat in the Reserve Section of the beach. They were all very friendly and all had a great sense of humor. The resort has plenty of restaurants to choose from and had our best meal in Fuego, which is owned by a well known Spanish Chef. We worked with a local Destination Management Company, Connect Travel Services, which arranged an amazing four wheel drive excursion. They normally handle group bookings in DR. This was our first time in DR and it was one of the best Caribbean Islands that we have experienced.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom Master Suite is worth the extra price if you have two kids.
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We just returned from a great vacation! Would definately go back for some R&R.
We arrived on the 6th of July without our luggage, but that clearly wasn’t any fault of The Reserve. We just hung out by Hydro Grill in our jeans sipping on a few of Juan Buatista’s special drinks. Yum! Why were we in jeans you ask, knowing we were going to a tropical paradise....we were coming from our much cooler and normally rainy home. We didn’t care that we were the only ones at the pool in jeans! Just happy to be in the Dom Rep.

For what it’s worth, here are some thoughts:
The room was AMAZING! We arrived and were pleasantly surprised with a garden suite. We loved the privacy of having our own little backyard while away. Loved the outdoor jacuzzi and used it almost every day. Yes, mosquitos are an issue, but that’s why we took Off and citronella candles after reading the other reviews. They worked really well and we spent quite a bit of time outside.

The food was good for an all inclusive. We aren’t much for buffets normally, but they even had a decent selection. We liked Vento and Aqua the best for dinner, but ate most lunches at Hydro Grill by the pool. Adenawer Perez and Deiv Cueto were great! At first we had trouble getting decent dinner reservation times, but we were able to call and make our own for the last several nights with very reasonable times.

Our concierge was really nice and accomodating when we arrived. He asked if we were there for any special occasion. It was more of a get away from the city and soak up some rays trip, but our anniversary did fall during our stay. He was so sweet to send us champagne and strawberries to our room. Even though we knew about the Melia vacation club sales pitch that he would ask us to attend, we did it anyways because of the service that we received. We didn’t buy, and then we didn’t see our guy much after that. That’s when we figured out how to make the reservations on our own.

The pools were awesome! You could go to the main pool to hang out and people watch, or just find a little nook to relax and play your own music if you wanted to. We preferred to stay at the main pool to get drink service, but at times it was nice to get away from the kids and parents who were screaming at their children. You could easily go to a quiet spot and enjoy the winding pools throughout the property.

We saved the best for last. GUSTAVO Castro, FELIX Sanchez and CHRISTIAN Santana at Gabi Bar made our stay! They were amazing and we didn’t want to leave them. We shared our last few drinks with them before we finally had to leave....45 minutes after we said we were going to leave. You guys rock! Thanks for always being so attentive and for your fabulous smiles. You could see Gustavo smiling from across the pool :)

Take TIP MONEY! It's not required, but these guys work hard and deserve it. From the bartenders to the cart drivers and everyone in between, including the waitstaff, cleaning people and door men. They are very appreciative.
Overall, the Domincan people are extremely friendly and are always willing to help in any way possible. While walking throughout the resort, you are always greeted...by everyone. For those who complain about the language barrier, I think they do an amazing job of trying to speak English. We are visiting their county after all where they do speak Spanish.

FYI...If you’re looking for a good cultural/local tour, go to the Blue tourist desk at the Palma Real and get the Bavarro Runners tour. Ask for Sammy. He is awesome! Speaks perfect English and can tell you everything you’d want to know about the Dominican Republic and takes you to some great local places too.

This may sound crazy, but we thought 11 days would be too long. We didn't want to leave and are already talking about going back!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaroleeT
Dear Carolee,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you had a nice and unforgettable stay at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort, and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of our staff. You may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Thank you for your wonderful and lovely comments. I do hope to welcome you very soon at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Traveled to the resort with family (spouse, 2 daughters ages 9 & 15)--July 8-13, 2012.
Upon arrival, we were told to exit the airport and look for our ride wearing a light blue shirt. Instead we were directed back in the building to a stand. Once we checked in with the stand we were provided with a brochure of information and wisked outside to a van. We paid the extra cost for a non stop ride to the Reserve. There was one other family on the van and we were dropped off first. Would I pay the extra again for a non-stop ride ----No. The vans are a standard 8 passanger so in essence 2 families would equal 2 stops. The ride to the hotel is 25-30 minutes.

Upon arriving we were greeted warmly and provided with our wrist bands to indicate that we were staying at the Reserve. The room was a garden view overlooking the pool (Rm 5009). We were on the second floor and did not experience a mosquito infestation. Perhaps because we were elevated. The room under us had more greenery around and you could walk out and enter the pool. I had taken 2 cans of OFF fearing the worse. Did not use any. We did go through 2 cans of spray sunblock.

Our first day was a bit rocky as we were trying to determine the lay out of the resort. My recommendation is that upon your arrival, make reservations for dinner. The Concierge's can help with this task.

Food..........AWESOME. You need a reservation for Mizu, Aqua, Bana Bistro, Vento, Palazzo. Passion is extra $$$. The food at the above restaurants was of high quality. Mizu----Japanese (cook in front of you). Plenty for all, Aqua was very good but smaller portions (my spouse did ask for another main dish, no problem). ALEXANDER was an awesome waiter at Aqua. Classy place. Men do need to have long pants and closed toe shoes for at least 2 of the fine dining restaurants. I encourage a golf cart ride to the main hotel if you are looking for a breakfast/ lunch/dinner variety. The Naos is set up as a buffet. Good quality foods. Omelette stations are available. Any fruit you desire. They even have a smoothie bar. My youngest favored this option as she could walk around and choose what her heart desired. If you are looking for heavy foods, the more unhealthy type, you will not find them here. Not your Golden Coral buffett. However, we thoroughly enjoyed the Naos.
Gabi in the Reserve has really good food as well. DEVRY SABINO was the best waiter there hands down. He should be commended for providing the best service possible. All with an awesome smile.
JOHNATHON at the Bana Bistro was also very kind and attentive to our needs. He was attentive but definitely not annoying.

MEL L. at the Gabi Beach Club should give a lesson in how to be an exceptional waiter. Just cannot say enough great things about the staff mentioned. And yes it is a great idea to have money for tips. All were appreciative for the extra $$.

Kids Zone......seemed awesome. My 9 year old was not interested. She said "I came here to stay in the pool, not inside playing games." Yes we toured and there was plenty for kids to do. Rock climbing, air hockey, table tennis. It really seems more geared to the younger children.

Pool.........Giant, reminded me of how you can just lay in a tube and float around and around. The pool is the biggest I have seen at a resort. Kiddie pool is also available. The only issue my youngest had was that you were asked to be out of the pool between 7:00 & 8:00 pm.

Evening Entertainment. You must catch the Le Cirque show at the main hotel... food was not that great but perhaps you can dine elsewhere and get a seat for the show that did not begin until 9:00 pm. Great talent. We attended a beach party, listened to bands/singer performing nightly in the main lobby which was very enjoyable. The brand new disco opened while we were there. We entered the Disco at 9:30 and was told we were the first guests to view the new digs. Looks retro and fun. We sat, drank, but could not hang until the DJ arrived which was scheduled for 11:00 pm.

Room: We enjoyed the room. The only issue was that wash cloths were not delivered daily. I found myself having to beg for wash cloths. Luckily I traveled with a few expecting a wash cloth issue. Once when I asked, the housekeeper delivered promptly. The next time I went directly to the housekeeper in the hall and she asked if they can be delivered to the room and she never came. Not sure what the issue was with wash cloths especially when they provided you with fresh towels 2 times per day.

Shopping..... We made the mistake of buying from the gift shop in the main hotel. Approached the register with a stuffed animal, punta cana bag/purse, bottle of cooking vanilla, and some punta cana rubber bracelets......$96.00 US dollars. My advice.... go down to the beach, walk less than 10 min to the left (the guys will approach you as you are walking begging you to stop at their shop for commission) and purchase your souvenirs. Much cheaper and you can bargain. Same products as you find in the main hotel gift shop. You will be walking off the resort but everything seemed really safe to our family. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a golf cart ride from the Reserve to the main hotel/beach area.

Drinks......My husband says the alcohol was of top shelf. It is all included so if you want/need more, than just ask. He says every bottle of red wine was fantastic. My daughters enjoyed the virgin strawberry daiquiri's and virgin pina colodas. Me too. Now, when we wanted a drink poolside, we had to go and retrieve. No problem. I read where some guests did not have to leave their cabana as someone was constantly bringing their drink of choice. My husband did say FELIX SANCHEZ is an awesome bartender. He even made a special virgin pina coloda and inserted into a fresh carved pineapple.

Oh, Upon leaving, my husband purchased unique duty free alcohol from the airport. They boxed up and we carried on the plane. Upon arriving in Atlanta, we were told that luggage must be picked up and all duty free had to be inserted inside if you wanted it to make it to the final destination. There was a line of people tearing open their boxes and inserting their alcohol into luggage. One guy was really pissed as his would not fit. They offered to check it but could not guarantee it would make it (more than likely would break or end up missing). So, leave room in your luggage for that box of liquor.

Would I go back and stay at this same resort: YES, tomorrow if I could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Thank splori
Dear guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to learn that you and your family had a great stay at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of our staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each of them.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments and I look forward to welcome you back soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We came to The Reserve on vacation from June 22 to 29 and were very impressed with the beautiful grounds, clean and very well maintained resort, friendly service, great food, excellent beach and clean/comfortable rooms - the jacuzzi on the large balcony is a nice touch! The second we stepped out of the transfer bus, they greeted us with "welcome home" (I believe it was Gregorio) with a nice cold Presidente to drink while checking in...excellent start!

The very short ride to the beach on the cart was a great way to get a breeze, don't have a clue why anyone would complain about this other than the smell as you pass a swampy pond however it's a 2 minute ride.

The main resort is nice to visit for the restaurants and beach but so glad we stayed at The Reserve where it's so quiet, so many long chairs and cabanas to choose from!

Our son really enjoyed the kids pool and fabulous Kids Zone - the ladies there are great with the kids, as others have menrtioned before in their reviews about their kids here - he didnt want to leave! Plus between 8-9 in the evening you can drop them off while the parents enjoy time to themselves over a few drinks - excellent idea! Thank you Gustavo for all the tasty Martini Rosso drinks and Agua Tonica! Ha...

I wasn't sure what to expect with the food but it was excellent - buffet always fresh with lots of selection, Mizu was our favorite a la carte with Marcelino the Chef putting on a great show and cooking up the best dinner! Hamlet was our delightful waiter who greeted us every day as we passed by...very polite, respectful and nice with the children.

We enjoyed a dance off at the 80's dance party for our son's birthday - I regretfully forget the names of the 3 male dancers from the dance party but thank you all for making our son's birthday a memorable one!!

I would recommend this resort to any family looking for a relaxing vacation at a quality resort...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SteveL1980
Dear guest,

At the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. I feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Gregorio, Marcelino, and Hamlet. It is thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

We are going to be more than glad to welcome you soon for a next “wonderful family vacation” at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband, I and my 3 year old daughter were there From July7th to July 14th. (We are very very picky when it comes to vacations.) We stayed at Swim Up room..I think it was a junior suit with a family concierge. Our family concierge was Sofia. OMG she was soo good that she was basically finishing our sentences lol. No matter what we needed, from extra towels to restaurant reservations, everything was done in a matter of minutes.

Rooms: Room was very spacious, clean and beautiful. We even had our own cabana on the patio.

Food: This hotel had one of the best food we ever tasted at all-inclusive resorts. They have one restaurant that is not included in price called Passion. You have to eat there!!! It was super delicious.

Pools: Hotel has several pools on the property and one special pool for kids. All of the pools were clean and deep enough. My 3 year old really enjoyed kid’s pool with mini slides.

Beach: Since we had a family concierge, our cabana on the beach was reserved for us every day.

Minor Cons: Mosquitos!!! OMG the amount of mosquitos that hotel has it’s not even funny. You have to ask constantly for cleaning people to fumigate your room. But they do give anti mosquito lotion for kids so my daughter only had 3 bites because I was applying it very often.

Beach is a 15 minutes walk from the reserve part of the hotel. We had to wait for a golf cart to get us there. Plus water at the beach had a lot of dead sea weed and sea grass in it.

Buffet at the reserve part of the hotel didn’t have very good selection of food. We were always taking a golf cart to the main buffet at paradisus.

Casino...it was tiny. Plus the machines were in the process of being cleaned so if you wanted to cash out, you had to wait 10 minutes for an attendant to give you money.

If you want to take a taxi from the hotel please be careful. We had a very unpleasant experience when we decided to take a taxi to Hard Rock Hotel. Driver didn’t speak any English and he was running his errands on the way there. He made 3 stops at different part of town. My husband and I were very scared. Plus he said through the translator at the Hard Rock that he is going to be at the parking lot waiting for us to give us a ride back. Thanks God my husband managed to get rid of him.

Cons aside we had one of the best vacations.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

The prime reason I can give this property only an average rating is because I feel value received for what I paid was not exceptional. Bear with me, and I will explain.I have been to many all-inclusives, mostly in Mexico, and I consider myself an experienced traveller, meaning I do not expect all the comforts of home, and you sometimes just go with the flow.

The property is beautiful and well kept, and the people extremely hospitable and friendly, even though there were few with fluent English. My minimal Spanish did come in quite handy here. The price paid was $160 per day per person, and half for children above three, even though my initial reservation was confirmed at $130. Doesn't matter, you pay the current rate. Traveling with six adults and three small children, the three rooms were more than adequate and well furnished. Here is the rub...there is no elevator and no promise of a ground floor room, so beware if you have a mobility problem. There are no ceiling fans, and our thermostat in the room fluctuated between 78-79 degrees, despite two adjustments by staff. Others changed rooms because of this, and found no better results.

They do have a fabulous kids club at the Reserve, so it is a nice break for the parents, and it is one of the few air conditioned spots at the resort. Many nice activities.

The pool area is beautiful, but there is NO bar or food service in the Reserve area. Yet, visiting the main hotel area, there is no problem. To generalize, I would say there is no real reason to pay a premium for the Reserve area, as we spent a lot of time at the main area, and the a la carte restaurants there were no better or worse than the two at the Reserve. As a matter of fact, the breakfast and lunch buffets at the main area were superior in variety offered.

OK..specifics. After a painful check-in,(this is where your Spanish will come in handy) We find that there were no available reservations in ANY restaurant for the first night..only buffet is available...this happens. Keep in mind that the entire hotel is far from capacity, this is low season. The problem comes from how they staff the restaurants, which is minimal, and do not even try to accommodate more than THEIR established maximum of guests per seating. That's why they will refuse you seating even though the restaurant is less than half-full. This is common in a lot of all inclusive resorts. When we were told the same thing the next day, I located the Guest Services Manager, Gennaro, and told him this was unacceptable, and he remedied the situation and got us reservations. It just seemed a bit less than a vacation when there is this kind of stress involved, a situation that should never be. As an aside, we never went out as a large group, never more than four in a party, so it was not like we were trying to seat nine. A few restaurants face outdoors, so needless to say, they are not air conditioned.

Be aware of the fact that there are dress requirements for some, and enforced strictly, when they feel like it. I say this, because people were admitted with sneakers, and yet their written code says no athletic shoes. Go figure! The guest book in your room says long sleeved shirts are required for men in two of the restaurants, but they are not. But they do require long pants and sleeved shirts. Men do have to wear closed-toed and heel (no clogs) shoes, and we were refused admission to a restaurant for over an hour because one in our party had black suede slip-ons that was found to be offensive. He was made to trolley back to the Reserve to change. A little too pretentious for ANY beach resort!

The food. As I mentioned, the lunch and breakfast buffets were fine, but dinners were only average. Drink service is POOR. Here's what I mean..ask for the house sparkling wine, and it comes out warm, and it is sour. No colder bottles available. Same story in two different restaurants. I inquired what kind of vodka they had, and at Gabi Beach restaurant said Absolute Citron only. All the other bars including poolside were fully stocked with everything up to Grey Goose. Another could not make a seabreeze or baybreeze drink, they just didn't understand how to do it, and another restaurant had no Malibu rum, even though it was common in all other areas. The house wine is barely drinkable, and in the better restaurants, they only had chardonnay, served slightly chilled. Two restaurants served Presidente beer only, while the pool had Corona and Number 1 also. Why is this?

Dinner at Bana, teppanyaki, was OK, just do not expect to get your steak cooked your way at a table shared with others. I like well done anyway. Interestingly enough, the beverage service here was the best all week, even though the first round wasn't brought until after the soup was served (by one waiter) to the thirteen people seated at the table.

We were prepared to tip a little extra at every meal, but I found that sometimes it was not warranted. Maybe they did not expect any, so the service you get is minimal. Which came first? In the buffets, it was often hard to find a waiter to get you coffee, and harder for a refill. When you do place a beverage order, it is sometimes brought out by someone other than the person that took the order and you watch yours being delivered to another table. There just did not seem to be a Captain or supervisor in charge of ANY of the restaurants.

So...would I return? No, not at these rates, with this lack of of organization. Stay at the main resort, don't have three kids to pay for that do not eat much anyway, and get a great rate, it's still only a maybe. Speaking of rates, the Guest Service Manager told me that he was sorry about the increase from $130 to $160, but RCI sets the rates. I know this to be ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE.

Room Tip: You have no choice at the Reserve to the best of my knowledge. CHECK THERMOSTAT TEMPERATURE!
11 Thank ringo8553
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear guest,

First and foremost, please accept our gratitude for taking the time to air your comments and concerns. Your observations are very important to us as they allow us to identify our improvement areas. Receive my sincerest apologies if we were not able to meet your expectations. I assure you that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of your particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Once again, thank you for your constructive observations. As I mentioned before, we understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.