“Great working vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great working vacation”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were here for five days in July for a meeting. The Dominican Republic is a safe country with incredibly friendly locals. Our only annoying part was at the airport with all the hustlers trying to "help" you find your transportation and carry your bags. Ignore them, walk past them, and once you are past them the cabs/shuttles/tour sites are right there.

Check-in went fairly well. Be sure to bring copies of your shuttle arrangement and check-in confirmation number. We didn't have this and it seemed to cause a lot of confusion, even though our names were in the computer. The property at Paradisus is beautiful and very well maintained. When staying in the Reserve you have access to the entire property (except the small Royal section, unless you pay extra for it. We don't think it was necessary). The Reserve is a little quieter than the regular areas and tended to shut down before midnight. If you are looking to be up later the late-night bars and entertainment were in the Paradisus main lobby, which was only a short walk away.

The food was good and we enjoyed most of our meals. Our favorite meal by far was Passion. There was a surcharge to eat here ($45/person), but it was worth it. If you're going to pay this much money to come to an all-inclusive for a special event then don't be cheap and be sure to splurge on dinner here. The service and food were on par with any high-end American restaurant. We both did the tasting menu and loved every dish. Breakfast every morning was at the Gabi in the Reserve. It was good with a wide variety of food. Don't eat lunch or dinner at the Gabi as it is mediocre buffet food and you can do better. A better buffet lunch is found at the Gabi Beach. Another notable dinner was at Vento in the Reserve. It's advertised as Italian, but it really wasn't. The menu had a wide variety and we enjoyed the food. Fuego is a Latin American fusion cuisine and we really enjoyed our meal there. Good food and great service. If you stick around after dinner the disco opens next door. One disappointment was Lapalapa, which had a $20/person surcharge and was completely empty except for us. Maybe others already knew what we didn't. I don't think the food here was all that good and it certainly wasn't worth the surcharge.

The bars were one of the highlights of the trip. The bartenders provided superb service and mixed great drinks. Again, the Reserve closes before midnight and is much quieter, so if you are looking for a more active nightlife then walk to the main area where there is much more activity. The cups at all the bars are small, so consider bringing a Tervis Tumbler or some other cup of your own.

The one afternoon activity we did was the cigar rolling class. It was very informative and they gave us all a cigar to smoke during class. I highly recommend this class if you enjoy cigars. He also sells cigars and is a good source for Cubans and local cigars if you are interested.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that many of the employees don't speak great English. It is their country after all, so we can't blame them for this. Knowledge of some basic Spanish will help you tremendously. Despite this, every employee we met went out of their way to accommodate us and were incredibly friendly. The language differences were a minimal issue at most.

We would definitely go back. It gets 4/5 stars for good (not great) food, great service, a beautiful beach and pools, and incredibly friendly employees.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LS70124
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort for your family vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience.

Our goal is to exceed our guests’ expectations, so I regret very much we could not exceed yours. I assure you that your particular observations have been discussed with the managers of the various departments involved, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Thank you for your compliments to Jeffry Diaz; he is a big asset of The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,457)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary and spent 3 glorious days at the all-inclusive “The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real” resort, and we cannot say enough about the resort’s staff, almost everyone that we met was cordial, accommodating and offered a pleasant smile. Selected staff made us feel like part of the family throughout our entire stay.

The resort has an amazing picturesque view, surrounded by beautiful landscaping and impeccably clean accommodation with luxurious bath amenities by Thierry Mugler. Guests at The Reserve were entitled to utilize the facilities at the Paradisus Palma Real resort as well. We booked a One Bedroom Suite and were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a beautifully appointed Suite overlooking the pool along with a private Jacuzzi in the patio. Our arrival experience with Juana and Jasmir was warm and welcoming; Dalliance, the Bellman, provided a detailed resort orientation and ensured that we were well acquainted once in our suite. Our Family Concierge, Sulenny who was personable, consistently ensured that all of our dining needs were taken care of and remained engaging during our visit. The Restaurant Supervisor, Wilfredo extended a genuinely friendly, personalized and highly attentive service throughout our dining experiences in various outlets. The overall service at The Reserve was superlative and kudos to the Chef for the exquisite food presentation in the Aqua Mediterranean Restaurant. Felicia, our housekeeper demonstrated attention to detail as our housekeeping services were meticulously performed. Additionally, we appreciated the General Manager, Isabel’s continuous efforts to make us feel special and welcomed. Her gracious invite to return made us feel valued. On the contrary, we did find that the service at the lively Lobby Bar and the Red Lounge Bar in the Paradisus Palma Real Resort (not at The Reserve) was slow and inattentive. It took a while for the bartenders to acknowledge us even though we were seated at the bar. The bartenders appeared to be more engaging with other regular guests.

Finally, on our last night at The Reserve, Sulenny and Felicia decorated our Suite and Jacuzzi with rose petals and thoughtful amenities along with a personalized note during turndown, which made our anniversary more memorable.

If you are looking for a non-stop party type vacation filled with constant activities and superlative staff, look no further! This resort is a perfect get-away for families and couples alike and we will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you had a great and personalized service at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of Sulenny, Felicia,and Dalliance . You may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments and I look forward to welcome you back soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Kind regards,

Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This was my first time visiting Punta Cana and I had the best time! Staying at the Paradisus Palma Real was amazing. The staff was very accommodating and provided really good service to meet every want or need. Our room was stocked at all times with fresh towels, snacks, and a fully filled fridge. The pools and tikis on the beach were a great place to relax and the service was excellent in these spots too. Devi Couto was our beach attendant and made the days on the beach very enjoyable with amazing service. Our drinks were never empty! There were plenty of restaurants to choose from every night, I would just recommend making reservations before you arrive to make sure you get a chance to try out the ones you want. My week stay was also very special because my finance and I got engaged on our first night there and the hotel and Glenys Martinez helped to prepare a special and private dinner for 2 on the beach to my surprise, as well as a room upgrade! You will not be disappointed by this hotel!! A special thanks to Devi and Glenys for making this trip so special!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ashley,

Your kind and valuable words left me speechless as there is not greater satisfaction than learning that all your expectations were exceeded and that Glennys and Deivi participated in
making it possible.

Thank you for preferring The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we await you soon for another great vacation.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My family and I arrived at The Reserve on July 17, 2013. We stayed for 8 days and 7 nights. We immediately received the royal treatment as soon as we arrived. The resort is spectacular. It is clean and nicely decorated. If you have childern I recommend you have the family concierge. We were fortunate to have this and a very very nice young lady named Sofia was the person who took great care of my family. She was kind and very attentive to all of our needs. She made my children feel special. She knew all of our names as soon as she saw us. Every night when we returned from dinner she had a special treat waiting for us. The kids are 11 and 12 and not easy to impress and they loved her. I recommend this resort because this was one of the few places that I have visited where they really cater to you. There were many others who made our vacation great. I would like to mention Juan Jose Rosa, the staff at the Kids club Natali, Angel, Ynes, Cinthia, Wanda, Nicaurys and Alexandra. Last but not least Eduard Peguero the activities person who made our time at the beach and pool alot of fun. All of these people work super hard to make our vacation the best one we have ever had. We plan on definately going back to this resort.

Room Tip: If you like quieter rooms then ask for a room in buildings 50-53, they are not so close to the beach...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments about our facilities and the exceptional service you have received from Juan Rosa, Natali, Angel, Ynes, Cinthia, Wanda, Nicaurys, Edward, and Alexandra. I will personally pass on your comments to each one of them.

The Reserve team is going to be more than glad to welcome you back for a next amazing vacation.

NYC
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I traveled to Punta Cana with my boyfriend, his parents and our 3 year old son for one week in July. (13-20) This was our second time in Punta Cana but first time for my boyfriend's parents and our son. We chose The Reserve after reading all the good reviews it had for families and in particular families with small children.

We stayed in Building 53 and had a regular one bedroom suite. The room was fantastic!! It was beautifully decorated and spacious. We had asked for a king sized bed but they didn't have any so they joined two beds for us the same day. This worked out great for us. My son loved the huge bed. The jacuzzi on the balcony was great even though we only used it one time. The bathroom is large and the amenities are a nice touch. The mini fridge was restocked daily with water, beer and soft drinks.

Our concierge Dalmy was truly amazing. She was friendly and explained everything about the resort to us. She also made dinner reservations for the entire week. She always had answers to our questions and was always checking up on us to make sure we were ok and if we needed anything.

The pools were lovely. We went to them everyday. My son LOVED the kiddie pool. Breakfasts were awesome, you get a nice variety from the buffet. Room service breakfast was limited (bread, pancakes, fruit, coffee) but still nice. We ordered room service breakfast a few times because my son didn't like sitting still to eat at the restaurants. With room service he actually ate! The buffet lunches were equally yummy as were the dinners. The dinners with reservations were the best. All the food was tasty and delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed all our dinners at the different restaurants with one exception. The Mexican restuarant Mole we never got to taste because our food was just taking too long to come out. We had a reservation for 7:30pm and by 9:05 we still hadn't gotten our food. My son who gets cranky when he's tired started to cry loudly so we just decided to go. It was a shame because we really wanted to taste the food we ordered. On a positive note, our concierge did call us the next day to find out what happened. I liked that they did this because it shows they care about the service they provide their customers.

My boyfriend lost his camera while riding a golf cart and we reported it and they found it for us. I was shocked because on our first time to Punta Cana he lost a cell phone and never saw it again (at another resort). The only bad thing was that the memory card had fallen out so some of our pictures were gone. Not the resort's fault but we were so happy they found our camera. Just make sure when you ride the golf carts to check the seats to make sure you're not leaving anything behind :)

All the workers at the Reserve work really hard at what they do. They are all friendly and will greet you with a smile when they see you daily. We loved them all!

All in all everyone had a blast during this vacation. If you are looking for a place that caters to families The Reserve is the way to go. It's the best!

Dear Guest,

I feel highly honored to have been trusted to celebrate your family vacation. I am happy to know that you have appreciated the warmth and dedication of some of our staff members. I have passed on your comments to each one of them.

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you and your family again at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Lake Wylie, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have been to punta canta four times in the past 18 months. living in Charlotte makes it a easy trip. We had a swim up suite and loved it. Our butler Glenys Hartiuz did a great job all of the dinner reservations were set up and went very smooth. We even had a phone to contact her with any needs. Great Place we will be back.

1 Thank Robwatson123
Dear Guest,

We are committed to provide the highest quality service beyond our guests' expectations and it is a great pleasure to learn we were able to exceed yours.

The Paradise will be waiting for you!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We recently travelled to Punta Cana as a family (with a toddler and grade school child). It was their first time flying, let alone out of the country. We read previous reviews raving about this resort and were really excited to enjoy our vacation. We ended up splurging for a concierge, Andy, and it was definitely great to have. He made our reservations, helped us acclaimate to the resort by providing a tour, and would do special things for the kids each night. After dinner, the kids loved going to the room to see what special treat was waiting for them- a balloon filled room, cupcakes and milk, coloring books, etc. They even had scented pillows for a night. Great time! We ate at the buffet each morning, fantastic food. Angela Mercedes in particular was wonderful with our kids. Our littlest one was quite energetic, therefore would not allow us to eat peacefully. Angela noticed this and came over and entertained our litte one so we could eat. He absolutely loved her and the attention he was receiving. All in all, the resort was perfect. Unfortunately now, any other vacation will compare and probably not rate as high:) Definitely recommend this resort and we truly appreciated how accommodating and friendly the staff was. It really helped make us feel more at home!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren C
Dear Lauren,

I love your kind comments about our staff and services. It is a privilege to know you consider us a great vacation destination. This kind of comment is a great incentive to all of us.

We cannot wait to welcome you back!