“Beautifully appointed hotel, fabulous pools, great rooms, fantastic food, very variable service”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We are a family of 4 who stayed in The Reserve for 14 nights in July. This is a stunning hotel. The design of the main areas and the gardens and pools is second to none. The layout of the walkways and the planting mean that you always feel you are in a somewhat private area. There is a huge array of fantastic outdoor furniture and plenty of space at any time of day.
The food is superb, with the only disappointment being the mexican restaurant. In a 14 night stay we managed to eat in many of the restaurants and bars: the hotel uses the very highest quality products in the meals, the cooking is great (albeit largely grills - but do try Aqua for really superb cuisine) and the presentation is good.
The gyms are great. The gym at The Reserve is very well kitted-out and very well managed. The chap who ran the gym (Wendy Liriano) was fantastic and genuinely made a huge difference to our stay (I don't think I have ever before said that the gym was a real highlight of my summer holiday but Wendy literally made the experience so good that I couldn't wait to get to the gym each day). He was so positive, fun and encouraging, and even managed to deal beautifully with a very challenging lady from NY who wanted the gym music silenced so that she could have her own music on. There's always one ;-)
The only downside was that service at reception was generally very weak and the cleaning service poor. The staff at reception simply didn't seem to know what they were doing, and had a very frustrating habit of insisting they understood requests in English, when it subsequently became clear they had not, and much time and effort had been wasted. Much better to say when you don't understand. We discovered from other guests that the solution was to ask for Glynis, which we did, and she was a real 'fixer' - a customer service superstar.
The housekeeping service also needs attention. The housekeepers seemed to be in an out of our room constantly and yet we were regularly running out of clean towels, toilet rolls, shampoo etc. Twice we were woken at 10.30pm by housekeeping barging into our room to do something (heaven knows what since they had already completed the turn-down service hours before). Housekeeping should be as efficient and as invisible as possible. Not like the extra relative you didn't really want to bring with you and is constantly hanging around!
Overall, we would strongly recommend this hotel, assuming service is something that management will work on. The fundamentals are all there, and the environment (the hotel and the beach) are exquisite.

Room Tip: The swim-up suites are fabulous, especially with kids who can't wait to get into the water first...
2  Thank SezzleSW19
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear guest,

I would like to extend my gratitude for selecting us to celebrate your family vacation and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay. It is a pleasure for me to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.

I appreciate your valuable observations about our Housekeeping and Front Desk departments. I assure you that appropriate measures have been taken.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future to your second home, the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Write a ReviewReviews (7,584)

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is my first time ever writing a review on a vacation. We travel alot and have been to many resorts and countries. Unless you speak Spanish well and have an incredable lot of patience I would not recommend this place. First off I paid a lot of extra money for Family Concierge Service at the Reserve. This was a complete waist of money. I do not believe I got anything even close to value for what I spent. The food was fair at best and the service was poor. They, the waiters spoke little english and took forever to serve you.
The worst part was there transportation system that would take you to the beach or dinner. You had to wait long periods of time. There is no system in place. Of course with the more expensive Concierge service they were supposed to take care of that. ( Don't count on it).
Apple booked my trip and for the second time in 2 years and really took advantage of us.I will never use Apple again or recommend them. We were to receive $300 credit for each room for the resort. We had 3 rooms. Never received vouchers or instructions from anybody. We incorrectly assumed we would receive credits. It cost us another $1000 for incidentals that we thought would be covered. Such as massages and wine. Tried to get Apple to change our time to airport by 1 hour and they refused. They said you needed 3 hours at Airport. Not true got there 2 hours before and waited at least 1 hour in a big crowded room.
Last but not least I have never traveled on a vacation and dealt with more people that were so totally un-accomadating to there customers.

3  Thank bern412

Here are my issues:
1. Three hours to check-in;
2. Our party of four was placed in two different rooms and floors;
3. The child fee was $150 per day;
4. Two people had a vegan diet that was not honored;
5. Broken AC unit that smelled like urine for six days; and
6. The buffet food was always cold and/or over cooked.
7. The Thai restaurant didn't offer Thai food.

Here are my awards:
1. Great breakfast by Chef, Jeffrey Diaz;
2. Our Guest rep only helped us make dinner reservations;
3. The Free child care service would be better with proper staff.
4. Free shuttle rides to other resort and shopping - nice.

Room Tip: Please review your room and report any issues ASAP.
5  Thank nycolm

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort for your family vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience.

Our goal is to exceed our guests’ expectations, so I regret very much we could not exceed yours. I assure you that your particular observations have been discussed with the managers of the various departments involved, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Thank you for your compliments to Jeffry Diaz; he is a big asset of The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were here for five days in July for a meeting. The Dominican Republic is a safe country with incredibly friendly locals. Our only annoying part was at the airport with all the hustlers trying to "help" you find your transportation and carry your bags. Ignore them, walk past them, and once you are past them the cabs/shuttles/tour sites are right there.

Check-in went fairly well. Be sure to bring copies of your shuttle arrangement and check-in confirmation number. We didn't have this and it seemed to cause a lot of confusion, even though our names were in the computer. The property at Paradisus is beautiful and very well maintained. When staying in the Reserve you have access to the entire property (except the small Royal section, unless you pay extra for it. We don't think it was necessary). The Reserve is a little quieter than the regular areas and tended to shut down before midnight. If you are looking to be up later the late-night bars and entertainment were in the Paradisus main lobby, which was only a short walk away.

The food was good and we enjoyed most of our meals. Our favorite meal by far was Passion. There was a surcharge to eat here ($45/person), but it was worth it. If you're going to pay this much money to come to an all-inclusive for a special event then don't be cheap and be sure to splurge on dinner here. The service and food were on par with any high-end American restaurant. We both did the tasting menu and loved every dish. Breakfast every morning was at the Gabi in the Reserve. It was good with a wide variety of food. Don't eat lunch or dinner at the Gabi as it is mediocre buffet food and you can do better. A better buffet lunch is found at the Gabi Beach. Another notable dinner was at Vento in the Reserve. It's advertised as Italian, but it really wasn't. The menu had a wide variety and we enjoyed the food. Fuego is a Latin American fusion cuisine and we really enjoyed our meal there. Good food and great service. If you stick around after dinner the disco opens next door. One disappointment was Lapalapa, which had a $20/person surcharge and was completely empty except for us. Maybe others already knew what we didn't. I don't think the food here was all that good and it certainly wasn't worth the surcharge.

The bars were one of the highlights of the trip. The bartenders provided superb service and mixed great drinks. Again, the Reserve closes before midnight and is much quieter, so if you are looking for a more active nightlife then walk to the main area where there is much more activity. The cups at all the bars are small, so consider bringing a Tervis Tumbler or some other cup of your own.

The one afternoon activity we did was the cigar rolling class. It was very informative and they gave us all a cigar to smoke during class. I highly recommend this class if you enjoy cigars. He also sells cigars and is a good source for Cubans and local cigars if you are interested.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that many of the employees don't speak great English. It is their country after all, so we can't blame them for this. Knowledge of some basic Spanish will help you tremendously. Despite this, every employee we met went out of their way to accommodate us and were incredibly friendly. The language differences were a minimal issue at most.

We would definitely go back. It gets 4/5 stars for good (not great) food, great service, a beautiful beach and pools, and incredibly friendly employees.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LS70124

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary and spent 3 glorious days at the all-inclusive “The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real” resort, and we cannot say enough about the resort’s staff, almost everyone that we met was cordial, accommodating and offered a pleasant smile. Selected staff made us feel like part of the family throughout our entire stay.

The resort has an amazing picturesque view, surrounded by beautiful landscaping and impeccably clean accommodation with luxurious bath amenities by Thierry Mugler. Guests at The Reserve were entitled to utilize the facilities at the Paradisus Palma Real resort as well. We booked a One Bedroom Suite and were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a beautifully appointed Suite overlooking the pool along with a private Jacuzzi in the patio. Our arrival experience with Juana and Jasmir was warm and welcoming; Dalliance, the Bellman, provided a detailed resort orientation and ensured that we were well acquainted once in our suite. Our Family Concierge, Sulenny who was personable, consistently ensured that all of our dining needs were taken care of and remained engaging during our visit. The Restaurant Supervisor, Wilfredo extended a genuinely friendly, personalized and highly attentive service throughout our dining experiences in various outlets. The overall service at The Reserve was superlative and kudos to the Chef for the exquisite food presentation in the Aqua Mediterranean Restaurant. Felicia, our housekeeper demonstrated attention to detail as our housekeeping services were meticulously performed. Additionally, we appreciated the General Manager, Isabel’s continuous efforts to make us feel special and welcomed. Her gracious invite to return made us feel valued. On the contrary, we did find that the service at the lively Lobby Bar and the Red Lounge Bar in the Paradisus Palma Real Resort (not at The Reserve) was slow and inattentive. It took a while for the bartenders to acknowledge us even though we were seated at the bar. The bartenders appeared to be more engaging with other regular guests.

Finally, on our last night at The Reserve, Sulenny and Felicia decorated our Suite and Jacuzzi with rose petals and thoughtful amenities along with a personalized note during turndown, which made our anniversary more memorable.

If you are looking for a non-stop party type vacation filled with constant activities and superlative staff, look no further! This resort is a perfect get-away for families and couples alike and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you had a great and personalized service at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of Sulenny, Felicia,and Dalliance . You may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments and I look forward to welcome you back soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2013

This was my first time visiting Punta Cana and I had the best time! Staying at the Paradisus Palma Real was amazing. The staff was very accommodating and provided really good service to meet every want or need. Our room was stocked at all times with fresh towels, snacks, and a fully filled fridge. The pools and tikis on the beach were a great place to relax and the service was excellent in these spots too. Devi Couto was our beach attendant and made the days on the beach very enjoyable with amazing service. Our drinks were never empty! There were plenty of restaurants to choose from every night, I would just recommend making reservations before you arrive to make sure you get a chance to try out the ones you want. My week stay was also very special because my finance and I got engaged on our first night there and the hotel and Glenys Martinez helped to prepare a special and private dinner for 2 on the beach to my surprise, as well as a room upgrade! You will not be disappointed by this hotel!! A special thanks to Devi and Glenys for making this trip so special!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ashley,

Your kind and valuable words left me speechless as there is not greater satisfaction than learning that all your expectations were exceeded and that Glennys and Deivi participated in
making it possible.

Thank you for preferring The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we await you soon for another great vacation.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

My family and I arrived at The Reserve on July 17, 2013. We stayed for 8 days and 7 nights. We immediately received the royal treatment as soon as we arrived. The resort is spectacular. It is clean and nicely decorated. If you have childern I recommend you have the family concierge. We were fortunate to have this and a very very nice young lady named Sofia was the person who took great care of my family. She was kind and very attentive to all of our needs. She made my children feel special. She knew all of our names as soon as she saw us. Every night when we returned from dinner she had a special treat waiting for us. The kids are 11 and 12 and not easy to impress and they loved her. I recommend this resort because this was one of the few places that I have visited where they really cater to you. There were many others who made our vacation great. I would like to mention Juan Jose Rosa, the staff at the Kids club Natali, Angel, Ynes, Cinthia, Wanda, Nicaurys and Alexandra. Last but not least Eduard Peguero the activities person who made our time at the beach and pool alot of fun. All of these people work super hard to make our vacation the best one we have ever had. We plan on definately going back to this resort.

Room Tip: If you like quieter rooms then ask for a room in buildings 50-53, they are not so close to the beach...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments about our facilities and the exceptional service you have received from Juan Rosa, Natali, Angel, Ynes, Cinthia, Wanda, Nicaurys, Edward, and Alexandra. I will personally pass on your comments to each one of them.

The Reserve team is going to be more than glad to welcome you back for a next amazing vacation.