“Better than average”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Better than average”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

You would think by reading all the reviews that this place is extraordinary. Wouldn't go that far. Everyone is friendly, but wouldn't say they go out of their way to please, despite us tipping everyone. I assume it's most likely because we showed no interest in hearing about the time share program. Rooms are nice, but not ultra-luxurious. Booked through Expedia a room with King-sized bed. We were told on arrival no such rooms were available. Their solution was to push the two double beds together (a little disappointing). For being a more family-oriented section compared to the main resort, it's not stroller-friendly (no elevators). Who wants to lug a stroller up two flights of stairs several times a day with two small children? Kidzone is a nice feature, although we couldn't take advantage of it because our kids are too young. The Reserve does have a special section on the beach. No problems finding a nice spot (although in mid-November the resort was not operating at full capacity). The buffet at the main resort has more food options, we enjoyed it for breakfast. HG (Hydro Grill) at the Reserve has a great ala carte menu for lunch. We tried several of the ala carte restaurants for dinner, certainly not bad, but I wouldn't say any of them were noteworthy. Bring the bug spray...got several bites while dining. Souvenir prices at the gift shop at the main resort and at the resort mall are reasonable. Unless you're extremely talented at haggling, not worth it to go off-site for souvenirs. Departing from the airport in Punta Cana is a painful process and kind of spoils the vacation impression.
In summary, we had a relaxing vacation and enjoyed a beautiful beach, however, can't say it was the dream vacation of our lives.

1 Thank Mial K
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

Once more, thank you for your valuable comment and I hope to have the pleasure to serve you again at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,517)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 November 2013

First off, I'd say I'm a pretty experienced traveler.... visiting DR 5 times, riviera maya 10 times and Jamaica 2 times. This was our second time to this resort, and had the same wonderful experience if not better this time. Hands down this place is by far one of my favorites. I'd compare to the excellence riviera cancun for sake of comparison. Service and food is the best, with plenty of opportunity to try different things.

Talk to the staff and make friends, they will remember your name and favorite drink the entire stay. I can go on and on, but I'd for sure believe every positive review on this site. I love this place!

To the staff that I hope will still be there next year when we return, Thank you for a great getaway, your attention was well appreciated (deivi cueto and virgilio from hydro grill, Edward the water aerobics instructor, Felix Sanchez and Gustavo Castro from gabi bar, and Leonardo from Palma pool bar). Sample of great customer service. Your friend, mr Bryan (president light)

Room Tip: Beach and main activities are at Palma real, but shuttles run often and we used as opportunity to wa...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BryanUSA
Dear Bryan,

It is truly a pleasure for me to receive your impressions on this trip.

Exceeding expectations of our guest and offer truly memorable experiences is our commitment and I am proud to learn that we have achieved our goal. I greatly appreciate your recognition to the effort and dedication demonstrated by Deivi, Virgilio, Edward, Felix, Gustavo and Leonardo.

Thank you for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcoming you back at this your home in paradise.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This was a family holiday from 3rd November until the 18th November. The weather was great, it only rained a few times at night for only 5-10 minutes.

Staff: I have put staff first as this made our trip. Every single member of staff were polite and had a great desire to please. They attended to our every need with a smile. "Roberto De Leon" is a great member of staff and he is a credit to the resort. He looked after us for the whole 2 weeks and became a good friend. He organised a special lunch for us when we went out for our round of golf. "Omar Mejia" was the chef at the Hydro bar made us a special lunch every time, it was always fantastic. "Julio Flores" was also a great member of the team who also looked after us very well.

Hotel: The hotel was amazing, in my opinion much better than the paradises palma real as the reserve is a boutique hotel with much better amenities and service. The only downside is that it is not on the beach but i would still choose this hotel above all others.

Rooms: we had 2 one bedroom master suites and they exceeded expectations. They were large and had a dining area, small kitchenette, lounge, very large bathroom with whirlpool and double showers.

Food: All-inclusive means all-inclusive here, the mini bar was included as well as 24hour room service. The restaurants catered for everyone and being at the reserve meant we had a few more restaurants to choose from. Our families opinion was that the restaurants were very good except the Bana Fusion. Also, the hotel has a 7-star Michelin restaurant "PASSION" this is a must try as it is great and definitely well worth the extra $50 per person.

Spa: Best spa we have ever been too, and we have been to a lot of 5 star resorts around the world. "Maria Pilier" showed us around and introduced us to hydro therapy at the spa…It is a must.

Trips: Quite a few trips to choose from, we chose the Segway tour, Zip Line and deep sea fishing. All were a enjoyable and fun experience.

Golf: This for me and my father was the best part. The cocotal golf club is part of the resort and it means that the green fees are included. However we did have to pay for the buggies which was $50 per person (Even if we shared one), but the course was well kept and good fun. We also played Corales and La Cana and these two were up with the best courses we have played.

Room Tip: Stay at the Reserve
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Keval,

Thanks for appreciating the friendliness and dedication of Roberto De Leon, Omar Mejia, Julio Flores and Maria Pilier.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments and I look forward to welcome you back soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Kind regards,

Strasbourg, France
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

we went from 8 to 17 November, the weather was perfect, the ocean water as warm as a bath.
about the hotel and its staff, one word, awesome. very spacious, spotlessly clean. 8 restaurants offer a varied cuisine that can satisfy all tastes. everyone is very friendly and helpful. a big thank you in particular for his dalliance reception and monitoring of our stay. thank you to Andy, young chef of the restaurant Mizu which was great, and finally thank you to Gabriel dalusma the beach attendant for his kindness!

Mrs & Mr dominguez

Stayed November 2013
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Dominguez,

I am delighted to learn that your expectations were exceeded on this trip and I would like to thank you for all the positive comments.

We cannot wait to welcome you again at this your second home.

Paradisus Resort Punta Cana
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I went to spend a week at The Reserve: Palma Real with my girlfriend. It was the most relaxing and well spent vacation ever taken. There are huge differences between staying at The Reserve and Palma Real. I'll go over those in a second. First I'd like to go over our vacation/stay.

We got off our transport and were greeted by our concierge (Dalamy) along with some cold face towels. She checked us in, explained the resort a bit and our bags were taken to our room where we got to relax and rest up from our travel. The room was gorgeous, it had a modern look to it and I'm a huge fan. Dalamy met up with us several times throughout our stay, she booked all our dinners at the a la carte restaurants, showed us around the place and was very helpful. The Reserve is separated from the main Palma Real resort by about 1/3 mile. So when you want to go to the beach or the main resort restaurants you would have to walk or there were golf cart services running back and forth constantly. The Reserve has 3 additional restaurants and a kid zone and is more catered toward families. As a reserve guest you also get access to all the Palma Real restaurants / activities / attractions and then some. There are plenty of actives included in the resort, from tennis to yoga to golf. We did a sushi making class and it was plenty fun. At night there was also some kind of entertainment planned each night. The first day there was a Michael Jackson show, the next a Circus of acrobats, the next a dance show and finally a beach DJ show with fire spitting dancers. There was almost always something to do if you don't feel like relaxing. The food was excellent, some of the a la carte restaurants are hit or miss, I would steer away from the steak, but the seafood was my kind of dish. The drinks are not what I was used to at other resorts, all top shelf stuff. There was Jack Daniels Double Barrel, Johnnie Walker, Absolute Vodka, Grey Goose, pretty much all good liquor. The room included 24 room service and the staff was always friendly even saying "It's my pleasure" when you placed an order. Overall the trip was amazing. Oh they did try to get us to join Club Melia, it was about a 90 min presentation and at any point you can say no and they wont bother you. They made that clear, we sat through it and it wasn't that painful.

Here are some pros and cons of The Reserve vs. Palma Real

The Reserve includes more:
2 more restaurants, more activities, kid zone
The rooms are more modern looking vs. Palma Real
You get greeted with a concierge who will make reservations, plan for you, confirm your return car service etc..
It's further away from the resort.
You get access to gabi beach and exclusive beach areas where there are nice beds etc. Palma Real guests do not get this access it's only for club Melia or The Reserve. This beach access alone was huge. There was always spots and nice accommodations, the main area was packed and you would have to be there early.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GregAP2013
Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for sharing your impressions about your recent experience.

I am glad to hear that you had a memorable stay. At The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations; this definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Thank you for your valuable comments and I hope to have the pleasure to hosting you again in the near future.

New Jersey
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Returned form a one week stay at the Reserve with my wife and 2 children 8 and 6. Upgraded to the family concierge service. Did not find any upgrade pricing on travelocity before we went, but it is expensive. $$$. Approximately $100USD/day more for adults and half for children(at least at the beginning of november) The start was a bit rough, did not get picked up at airport as arranged. Very helpful people at airport though, a driver let me use his phone to try to contact the hotel, but there was no answer. Don't bother though- the 20 minute ride is only $30 each way and the hotel charges u more.

The most important thing- brings lots and lots of change. We ended up tipping alot more since we ended the trip with only $10 and $20s. Bring lots of $5 and $1s since change is very difficult to get except from the Casino at night. As others have stated tipping a few bucks at meals, the bar, the beach, etc-It all adds up. As with any service industry, a few tips here and there gets u special service. Our concierge Milly was amazing. Great with the kids, gave us a rundown of the resort and made reservations for dinner every night. Anything we needed, she was there. The team would find us around the resort during the day and ask us how things were going.(A little freaky, but nice??)

Another major caveat of going here- if you are not at the Reserve, as others have stated, reservations may be difficult. Heard many from the main resort complaining, even though there were tables available when we ate. We also were able to make same day reservations, so I assume many are set aside for those who upgraded. Thus, the upgrade in includes more personalized service and essentially u are partly paying for dinner.

Here is a rundown of the restaurants-
Gabi at the Reserve- smaller selection, good buffet, very relaxing atmosphere.
Hydro Grill - made to order grill, good food by the pool
Aqua-probably best restaurant
Mizu-Teppanzaki- standard fare. Nothing special. Chefs not the best showmen or best with knifework, but they try. Shoutout to Andy - had great time with the kids, went back twice for dinner here.

At the main resort
BANA- 3 restaurants in one Thai, Teppanyaki and Sushi. Different seating areas and not combined in one as described. The thai was not so good. Not very flavorful. Dishes did not appear the same as described on menu. Did not try teppanyaki. Sushi was good, not great.

Gabi beach did not try.

Market Grill- good to come straight off beach and pool and get a bite, but found selection at Naos much better. Alot of dry food here, maybe less turnover. U can grab a snack and desert here and bring to beach and pool too.

NAOS- the main buffet. Good selection. wished would have had more local, authentic cusine to try. They should probably have a Dominican Restaurant- doesnt have to be anything fancy.
Started with breakfast at the reserve, but found it much better to eat at Naos and head straight to the beach or pool. Another tip- While eating breakfast - jsut head over to the reserved area of the beach and give Francisco a few $ and he will set u up every day. Not so great on making drinks though- just go up to the bar. Not sure about the complaints about watered down drinks and cheap liquor though- all top shelf stuff at the bars we went to.

Vento- not so good italian. dry, tasteless. Was not a fan.

Passion- Adults only- so did not try.

Overall good food, what do you expect from an all inclusive. If you want pasta and freshly grilled variety of meats, there are many selections all the time at Naos. Deserts were a bit bland. Had a lot of variety though. Oh, by the way, with the family concierge service, a desert was set up in your room every night for the Kids. Not sure about giving chocolate and sugar to the kids every night before bed though(most time just let them eat it in the morning).

Everyone has to go to the SPA- including water treatment, plunge pool, Jacuzzi, Steam room, sauna. Only for adults, so we ended up alternating last few days- very relaxing- did not use the massage service.

A hint about getting around, during the day, very easy to get golf cart to and from main resort. Osvaldo was very friendly and a pleasure every day. Again, a $1 or two was really appreciated. And to answer a few people, we know their name because they write their names down on a resort card and give it to you. Not a long walk to beach though- walk around the back road by the SPA and the beach is not far. Always go to the main gate to catch a cart at night.

Finally, the beach is spotless in the morning, cleaned at night, but at the time we went the water was very very murky, with so much seaweed, it was not fun. Also not able to snorkel becasue of rough seas. Not sure if this is the case year round. For the price$$$, we would have liked clear water.

Not sure what else I can add, but overall great vacation. not sure what experience would have been without upgrading, but I suspect not as good. Also not so hot on the idea of the 2 tiered resort with special pools an beach area only if one upgrades.

Room Tip: upper floors are definitely quiet. Not sure about main resort.
4 Thank 9999Rich
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your perception regarding your recent stay at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real. In our effort to improve the level of our services, we put the utmost interest in our guest´s opinion you may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

I will be attentive to your next visit in order to ensure a pleasant stay.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

As I was expecting, two things took two stars from my review of this awesome place. Consider that you're just going to a beautiful place, one of the best of Punta Cana and you face with (1) your concierge insistingly trying to sell you a club melia and (2) there's no good service on the beach.
The rest? Just perfect, including the people, the food, the beer and the wine is just above regular.
When you go there don't forget to go to Isla Saona. There's no luxury but the place is awesome!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gustavo V
Dear Gustavo,

Thank you for having chosen The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, as well for letting us know about your recent experience.

I assure you that your observations were taken with the utmost importance and forwarded to the respective heads of the departments involved in order to take immediate actions.