“Really Paradise”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rochester, New York
“Really Paradise”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was a great stay. All the employees were as helpful as could be with any of our needs. Food was great with a variety of choices from seafoods to meats and deserts. Fresh fruits and veggies were plentiful all day long. Food was displayed very attractively all the time. Anyone that says food was just okay doesn't know what good food is. Grounds are beautifully kept up with colorful flowering plants all through the complex. Beach is private with guards that keep the riff raft out(no vendors). Thanks to our friendly concierge, Luis Ozuma for taking care of any questions and concerns during our stay. From Luis to Seguridad Vilente Pena and all the staff we had a great vacation and will surely return.

Room Tip: Corner suites with balconies are large, sunny and private.
1 Thank Don L
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review about your recent stay with us. Positive comments such as yours serve as a great motivation for all of us.

Our biggest satisfaction is to know that all your expectations were exceeded and that you will return to this paradise.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,459)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Overall we were very pleased with our stay. The staff were all very helpful even those that really didn't speak English. Food was okay - some better than others. However if you are not a seafood eater your choices are limited. You can find things, just not a lot of variety. The room was great. Comfortable beds and 3 nice closets. The towels are huge both in the bathroom and at the pool. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. The pools were great. The main pools are 5 foot deep, so if you are short be prepared. I am tall so it was wonderful. And there are tanning lounges built into the pool - ooh so nice. Bring pool toys and blow up rafts. At the Reserve we could find lots of places to lay out either in the sun or in some shade. There are tons of comfortable lounge chairs and beds. And most of the time you could find places with no one else around. It was pretty quiet . Friday and Saturday were a little more crowded. I read some reviews before going that said to bring long sleeves to keep away the bugs. I disagree. It is too warm for that. We did have a few mosquitoes - just bring some bug spray. They weren't bad. To tip or not? We did some. We saw a few others that did, but I don't think many others did. The beach is at the Paradisus Palma Real, a short walk or quick golf cart ride away. And you could almost always find a cart ready to take you. Plenty of places to lounge on the beach but there wasn't tons of seats around the pool over there. However, as a guest at the Reserve you have access to a separate pool over there and it was easier to find seating at it. We did not do the Royal Service, things were pretty nice without it.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms looked really nice if you want your own space. There is a nice terrace and your o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Heidi B
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Heidi,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you had a great stay at our The Reserve, and that you enjoyed our services and facilities.

Thank you for extending us your valuable comments and I look forward to welcome you back soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Kind regards,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The stay here was beyond magical. The employees treated us like family and were very generous. I loved the service!!!! I loved the resort!!!! I will most def be back!!! Reyna had a wonderful performance and is great! And our butler Jose Salvador was very attentive!!!!! And was impressed with johnfi Rivera, sooooo efficient! They were all outstanding!!!!!!!!! Hope to see them soon!!!
-Giselle from Texas:)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Gigij08
Dear guest,

I feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by all our staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each of them.

I hope that next year we will host you for another magical vacation!

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife bought this vacation package for my birthday and I must say room service was jet perfect, especially Juan Jose Rosa. He brought me a variety of liquids to chose from and left them all in my room. I enjoyed them all lol it was amazing! Never had great service like this before =)

3 Thank peruvian0024
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for preferring The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and for sharing your comments with us. I will gladly share your comments with Juan Rosa and the rest of our team.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

A five night trip in the books. Let me start out by saying the premises are immaculate and the amenities are endless. With the Reserve & Palma Real combined, this a powerful resort. For an all inclusive, you get everything you expect and more. The premium bar is impressive (there's even a mixologist bar). The food is also pretty good (at most establishments) and I had absolutely no problem crushing lobster on multiple nights. The beach, the pools (equipped with numerous loungers, fountains and jacuzzis), cabanas, beds, and hammocks all made sure I was always experiencing bliss. Finally, the nightlife is vibrant and the casino is a huge plus. Last, the SPA is wonderful (although a bit overpriced).

It doesn't sound like I have anything to complain about but...

The SERVICE is SPOTTY. Like I said, the place could be amazing but I dealt with so much sheisty-ness that it really got to me. First, the whole timeshare thing is absurd. I was made to feel really uncomfortable at one point and the whole thing is a RIP OFF. Don't do it. Don't merry Melia. Second, while much of the staff were friendly, some where downright miserable. Third, I was handed a packet of coupon rewards that were EXPIRED. The casino turned them down to my fiancee and I's embarrassment. Ridiculous. They did fix this the next day (by making sure the places started accepting the expired coupons, but not by issuing new ones, this is pretty shady to me) but still hilarious to say the least. Fourth, my all-inclusive mini bar was not re-stocked on several occasions (even water). This was completely unacceptable. Last, unless you came out early or knew the secret location of the Gabi Beach towels, it was difficult to get a towel sometimes and this was during offseason! Pretty unsatisfactory as well!

As my tag line goes, since the place is so beautiful, it has the potential to be great but the service needs some serious work. I really may not even return to the Dominican Republic, why bother? Mexico is right around the corner and I'm always treated like a king there.

P.S. Definitely stay at the reserve, it's an absolute must. You won't have access to many amenities if you don't (unless you get the royal service) including Gabi beach which is some of the best food, drinks and all of the beds on the beach. Also, it's extremely nice to go back to the relaxing Reserve and go in more private pools after being exhausted from the beach and hustle and bustle of the main hotel all day. The people complaining of the distance are exaggerating, I timed it and it takes literally 3 minutes by golf cart (they're always around!) and 8-10 minutes walking which is a nice way to burn some calories after eating and drinking all day.

Room Tip: Definitely do all in your power to stay in a SWIM UP!!!
4 Thank FFEDD
Murphy, Texas, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Sigh. I did a ton of research before coming to DR. I had never been, but my husband had when he was younger and enjoyed it. The problem is that I had to temper expectations because I have been all over the world and go to Maui once per year (let's face it, this is NO Maui but I didn't expect it to be...) I am also a huge fan of the Virgin Islands so I know I really like the Caribbean beaches. I went with an open mind expecting a shorter and less expensive beach getaway and pre-baby moon.

The Good:
-The Reserve Property is nice and quiet. The swim up rooms are definitely worth the money because of easy pool access and private palapa. The incense also smell really good.
-There are frequent golf carts to take you to the Palma Real resort where the beach is and most restaurants, and it's a few minutes ride.
-The larger Palma Real lobby is very impressive. We didn't stay here but wondered if it would've been nicer to be that close to the beach.
-We didn't purchase the family concierge, but we were assigned one anyway. Norberto was very kind and made reservations for us, which was great because we were stressed from earlier reviews saying we may not get good reservations.
-We showed up early at some restaurants and they worked us in anyway.
-The beds were very comfortable. We were impressed, having slept in many "heavenly beds" during our Westin stays.
-Room service options and taste is OK. We opted for room service many times over the horrible restaurants.
-The beach is wide. There's a lot of area to set up, and there is a private beach for members and reserve guests.

The not-so-good:
-Our concierge, perhaps unintentionally, made us feel obligated to do a time-share presentation. He said that's how he got paid, so we didn't want to be the ones to prevent him from putting food on his kid's plate so we reluctantly went.
-They said it would only be 90m and we can leave early and we get resort credit of $30.
-We were kept longer than 2.5 hours and most of our afternoon! It was a complete waste of time and we didn't get our resort credit which we were promised. Also, beware their fuzzy math. They won't let you leave and ponder anything, and for as much money as it costs, they dont have many answers. DON'T GO.
-The Reserve pool needs work. Lots of tiles are falling off and under the bridges is flat out gross. Also, the metal rails that guide you into the pool are all loose and falling down. be careful.
-The television selection is extremely limited. Don't expect to be able to watch anything other than a few english channels in your down time.
-Everyone, everyone expects a tip. For everything. Be prepared.
-The beach had a ton of black sea grass all over it. They only cleaned it after our third day there. Its in the water too, and it gets all over you and tickles.
-There are a ton of drug dealers all over the beach offering marijuana and cocaine. They are aggressive.
-There is really no shopping, so don't expect to do much other than shop for cigars (if that's your thing). That Melia shopping mall leaves a lot to be desired.
-The Casino at the PR is a joke. There was only one Blackjack table open (all seats taken but other dealers standing around doing nothing) and the slot machines don't print out the winnings. Some guy who speaks no English walks around with a log of winnings you have to collect at the end of the night. Also, they short-changed me.

The Ugly:
- Regardless of what they say, there is NO INTERNET. NONE. Your device will find the network but not be able to connect. They are fully aware and just kinda shrug it off. We couldn't do facetime with our young son, which was a huge let down.
-The Food is TERRIBLE. Almost inedible. What are they thinking making people choke down this garbage? We went to Gabi Beach (gross), Aqua, Mizu, and the Hydro Grill at the bar. The only food that was palatable was Gabi Club at the Reserve because you can make your own pasta at the buffet. The little flat steak on the griddle was decent, too. Fruit was not fresh; nothing was fresh. We got up early without finishing our entree at GB and Aqua because we couldn't finish our food, it was so bad. Passion was the only decent place and its $60 pp. (I digress but the potato soup at Passion was delish.)
- There's a cess pool/swamp between the two properties and it gives off the most rank and foul smell I have EVER smelled in my life. Imagine rot and sulphur and waste. I am pregnant and I almost threw up many times. I'm getting nauseated now just thinking about it. Hold your breath!

We are foodies, and we love to experience all types of cultures and places but the Dominican was just not the place for us. Maybe, because I couldn't get drunk, I didn't enjoy it...but then again, I shouldn't have to get drunk just to enjoy a new place. I've crossed this country off my list and won't be back.
I also asked other travelers at this resort about the issues we experienced and they echoed our sentiment. No internet, terrible food. We all kind of bonded over it, like, oh well that's just how it is down here.

Tips: Don't pay for room upgrade because Expedia guests and maybe other booking sites will give you a $200 upgrade voucher upon check in. The swim up is worth it, though.
Arrive at the PC airport more than 2 hours in advance when you're leaving. The lines are terrible at the ticket counters and some people who showed up 2 hrs in advance missed their flight.

9 Thank Melissa C
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great experience at Paradisus Palma Real- great food, entertainment and golf. Great concierge with help of a Franklin. Entertainment was far better than expected. Cocotal golf is a very good course with 27 holes. Course condition was outstanding,! Would come back again...

Room Tip: Make sure to upgrade- worth the$$
Dear David,

I am glad to learn you have had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Our biggest satisfaction is to know that all your expectations were exceed and that you will return in a near future.

All The Reserve team is going to be more than glad to welcome you again to pamper you at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.