“Beautiful Family Vacation & Excellent Service at the Reserve!”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We had a wonderful vacation at the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Christopher when we checked in. He was so wonderful to our kids and he was so friendly and warm every time we saw him. Moments after we checked into our beautiful 2 bedroom suite we were warmly greeted by our Family Concierge Indira Encarnacion. Indira felt like family the moment we all met her. She was amazing and she took care of all our needs. I was concerned with making reservations for dinner everynight and she said I will take care of all that for you.. and she did!! Indira gave us a personal cell phone to use if we needed her or if we just needed anything or wanted anything. Honestly we did not really need the cell phone to contact Indira because she was always greeting us in the morning whether it was at breakfast or meeting us near the pool to check on us. She made sure we had a reserved spot on the very private beach everyday. Every evening we would have a special surprise for our 4 year old or for us. Our teenage children were equally impressed with Indira. Indira was never in a rush to talk to us and you could tell that she took great pride in making our stay at the Reserve very memorable. My 4 year old is still talking about the vacation and Indira. To us she was the reason why we had a beautiful vacation with NO WORRIES!! We traveled to many places over the years but we never received the service that we received from Indira and the Reserve. I would like to also mention the service that we received from Teobaldo Santana and Juan Tiren, they both greeted us everyday at the pool with smiles and impeccable service.

The pools were so relaxing and they were never crowded. The pools were very clean and we always found a spot for all 5 of us to relax near the pool. A couple of times we did have to ask for towels especially later in the day. The beach was also very relaxing and never crowded, my only complaint is that we had to take a very short golf cart ride to get to the beach, but it was a nice little ride in which we admired the immaculate grounds of the resort. When we got to the beach we always had a special palapas available for our family and there was a private area for the families that stayed at the Reserve.

The food was surprisingly good!! We read reviews before we left for our vacation and I was a little nervous that the food was going to be terrible but it was good! Especially the restaurants... Aqua was our favorite! The lobster at the Gabi Beach was so good and it was huge! The steaks were amazing and they gave us pretty big portions. If one of our children did not like something they would make something else for them, but we only had that happen once.

We also went on an excursion to see the outside of the resort. We felt safe with our tour guide and we drove our own "boogies" (go karts) to a very private beach and we saw the culture of Dominican Republic.

This resort is perfect for families or anyone who just wants to relax and enjoy an amazing tropical vacation. Overall, this trip was an excellent experience, highly recommend the Reserve and we will return. I cannot say enough about Indira, she made our vacation very special and memorable for all of us!

Room Tip: We had a 2 bedroom suite on the ground level with our own garden and palapa. It was extremely close...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole N
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Nicole,

I really appreciated your beautiful words about your recent stay with us. It is great to learn how wonderful and incredible your stay was.

I have shared your comment with Indira, Christopher, Teobaldo, Juan and with all my team as the staff is what makes the difference with their warmth and dedication.

Nicole, we would be waiting for your next stay in the Paradise!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Food was good and plentiful, beach is gorgeous and kept free of seaweed, pools are lovely, property is well maintained and security is tight but not obvious. Daughter's wedding was fantastic--wedding planners were on the ball day of the wedding, and the buffet was excellent. i had a yoga class with Edison, who was excellent and who also offered treatment for many body aches and pains. If you get your hair done for a wedding, plan for the breezes! Lovely but strong for fine hair. Lots to do. Bolivar was great also. Getting from Reserve to Main Lobby is easy and quick. Gorgeous place to take photos. highly recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Reserve are quieter. On ground floor you have your own little garden and courtyard. K...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 0922sep

Dear guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that we could participate in making this occasion an unforgettable one.

I will share your compliments with each member of our team and I hope to host you next year.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I went to The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real during the week of the 16th to 23rd May2014 and have loved the place. The hotel is gorgeous and so relaxing. The staff was very nice and very courteous. We have a special thank you to make to the hotel manager, Ms. Laura Alegre. She has been exceptionally nice and so accommodating. She was always present and always ensuring that we were completely satisfied. We also want to thank Yonathan Mejia and Virginia Alvarez who were so friendly and accommodating. We need to add that we fell in love with the place and it's relaxing music, beautiful grounds and pools. This hotel really exceeded our expectations and we would definitely recommend it to all our friends. If you have the chance to go, please enjoy as much as we did!!! Laura, thank you again for everything!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your sincere review about our property. I really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us and future travelers to our destination.

I am glad to learn you enjoyed the attentions demonstrated by Virginia, Yonathan and our Hotel Manager, Laura Alegre.

The Reserve team awaits you soon at your second home for a next amazing vacation at paradise.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

This resort is spectacular! Aesthetically, it's amazing. The grounds are well-manicured, the decor is uber modern & the ambiance is zen-like. There are several wonderful pools at the Reserve, including a kiddie pool. The pool at the main hotel was great too. We did the family concierge & were extremely pleased with Alicia & Scarlet. The service was excellent. Our personal concierge took requests for our mini bar, booked all our dinner reservations, spa services, beach cabanas and airport transportation. She found us everywhere we were, simply to check in and see that we were happy and had all we needed. Alicia is very sweet & good with children. She regularly left our daughter gifts in the room or brought her water toys to the beach. This is part of the package but her delivery & the little notes she left added a special touch. One evening we returned from dinner to our jacuzzi filled with bubbles & balloons which our little one loved. Again, part of the package, but enjoyable nonetheless. As for the shortcomings, the food was not impressive at all. We enjoyed the fact that we could choose different restaurants, as this made it feel much less like the typical all-inclusive buffets, but the food wasn't very good. We weren't pleased with most of the choices our entire 5-night stay (just to be fair, there were a handful of places we never got to visit) The only meal we really enjoyed was at the Japanese show-style restaurant at the Reserve (can't recall name...right next to Aqua). Aqua was just OK, we didn't like Vento & we had a terrible experience with lobster at Gabi Beach Club (main hotel). Also, the kid-friendly food options were terribly limited. My child basically ate bread & butter for the most part. And she is a good eater. The breakfast buffet at Gabi was pretty good daily. As for the beach, it was nice but not spectacular. There was a lot of seaweed & sticks in the water and washed up on the beach. One day it was really bad. I prefer a clearer beach. We also weren't thrilled with the kids zone. It was lacking in fun activities according to our preferences. We found it to be more of a drop off spot when parents wanted to do something alone. My child preferred to be in the pool, although she did love the Aero jumping (she's 5). We also walked in & out of there freely & although they say only a parent or concierge could remove the child from the zone, I thought the security of the area & its practices could be improved. I was able to walk in and chat with a child I didn't know who was alone watching a movie on the flat screen. I wasn't crazy about that. We did not feel comfortable choosing babysitting services while we were there. But we did see sitters pushing around little ones during evening dinners, which seemed convenient for that age group. However, we did hear from another couple that left their 7-yo asleep with a sitter in their room & when they returned from dinner, the sitter too was asleep. Finally, the evening activities at the main hotel were just ok for us. Since we had a young child & have done excursions before, we chose not to do things like parasailing, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, etc. All of that's available too. I guess for us, the fun factor was lacking. We also yearned for more traditional Dominican culture, music, food at the resort, since we didn't want to venture off the property. On a pickier note, the rooms & most restaurants are extremely dimly lit. It's OK in the other areas, but when trying to get dressed or put on make-up in your room, you'd really like a little light. I mean it was really dark, but maybe that's just me. All in all, I'd still recommend visiting if you want a relaxing vacation in paradise.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Brooklynborn76

Dear guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you had a gorgeous and relaxing stay at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of your Family Concierge, Alicia and Scarlet. You may rest assured that I took a note of your observations.

Thank you for preferring The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we await you soon for another relaxing vacation.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We went for our honeymoon and had an amazing time! The Resverve was beautiful and very very clean. The staff was very nice and good at what they do. If you are looking for a big party place, this may not be for you. But if you are looking for somewhere to completely relax and forget about everything, this is where you want to be! The grounds were spotless, the food was delicious and the beach and pools were very nice. Our concerige was Luis Ozuna and he was awesome! We met the manager, Laura Alegre, several times and she was super nice and always asking how things were and if we needed anything. There were not many night activities or places to "party" but that's not what we were looking for. The food choices for lunch were not amazing but were still ok. The dinner choices were all great!!! We had some very good food while we were there, I think we both gained 10 pounds. The beach was beautiful and the weather was perfect. If you are staying at the Reserve, you have to take a short shuttle to the beach and the main hotel, but it was not bad at all. The locals on the beach trying to sell things and trying to get you to shop at the local shopping center were annoying but the resort security did their best to keep them from bugging you too much. We booked several excursions throught the resort that were a lot of fun!! Catalina Island tour was the best! We did a couple daily activities at the resort like salsa dancing lessons and sushi making and they were fun. We were asked to do the Melia Club tour, or time share as some people call it. We did it but because we were interested. We did not feel pressured or anything. It was a very nice and relaxing place! We will hopefully be going back in the future!

Room Tip: 1st floor with garden suit was nice!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Collins B
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Collins,

Thank you so much for choosing us to celebrate your honeymoon! It makes me feel proud to know your stay was a relaxing experience.

The Paradise waits for you to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our trip to The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real was our first trip to an All-Inclusive and first international trip with a toddler (2YO) so we were anxious for the experience. We were NOT disappointed and the trip exceeded my expectations in so many ways. Long review with highlights to follow

Upon our arrival, we were greeted warmly by our Family Concierge Indira Encarnacion. She was AMAZING and an integral part of the pure joy of our vacation. Indira was very proactive with our family-> She made the necessary reservations at the restaurants and worked to adjust the times as the toddler schedule would require. We always were greeted with a warm smile from Indira in the AM to check on us and a special treat from Indira in the PM as we returned to our room. Each day was something different that the 2YO eagerly anticipated. Indira worked hard to get to know us so she could help in anyway. To me, she was the key to a successful vacation and her hard work cannot be overlooked. I recommend the Family Concierge for anyone else and suggest requesting Indira. It was a nice touch to be greeted by Laura Alegre, the resort manager, to ask us how our stay was and ask about the service we were receiving. She believes in the customer experience and the resort reflects that mentality.

The grounds were just immaculate. The grounds also strongly contribute to the feeling of space and comfort by design and it worked well. Both resorts had some great panoramas and were truly memorable. There was always a golf cart available to transport us from The Reserve to the main resort. The drivers were extremely courteous and these carts were a highlight of the 2 year old.

Food- The food was very good and we were pleased as we had read so many conflicting reviews on the food. The breakfast buffets maintained the basics with fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice and a wide assortment of other options. The fresh omelets were always made to order and with a smile.
Lunches were good with nothing remarkable. Although there was some spotty service at the Gabi Beach restaurant on two different occasions. The lunch spot at the Reserve pool was very friendly, though.
A la carte dinners are definitely the best option.
Mizu, in the Reserve, for teppanyaki was delicious. Felix Grullon put on a fantastic show and was very engaging, while preparing good quality beef, shrimp, chicken, salmon, and vegetables.
Aqua was just fantastic, albeit after a bit of a false start due to dress code. The sandals I wore were 'closed toe' men's sandals but not acceptable at first so we were denied entry. After further consideration, we were allowed to dine. (I bring this up only as a note of caution about the dress code for some of the a la carte restaurants. There may be different interpretations so be prepared with closed shoes for several restaurants.) This would not take away from the experience at Aqua, which was tremendous. Julio was just the perfect host and gave great suggestions for a terrific meal. The mojitos at the Aqua/Mizu were bar just fantastic (although the mojitos at the RED bar at the main resort are even better)
Market Grill had very good lobster and steaks, with a great outdoor atmosphere.
Vento had just perfect service as our wine and water glasses were always full and the service was always pleasant. (I failed to get the servers name but he was tremendous). The menus change frequently, however, I recommend the gnocchi if it is still on the menu.
Bana was very good food with the curry chicken as the highlight I recalled. Food took a bit longer than expected and the toddler did get a little restless but this is not uncommon.
Gabi Beach a la carte for dinner had wonderful steaks and lobster and was enjoyable. The setting is very beautiful at night.
Room service was what you would expect. Delivered timely but with limited options. The only suggestion I would make is on how to make a pizza as these were the low point of our food trip.

Beach- the Beach was fantastic. The palapas were exactly what we wanted for coverage for a toddler that wants to play in the water all day. the sand was wonderful. there was some sea grass but it was not a bother at all. The staff at the beach work hard but always around if we needed something. We were happy to just plop under the palapa and relax. We did not partake in any of the activities so cannot comment on them.

Pools- The size and layout of the pools and the seating was just wonderful. We NEVER felt crowded and could always find a quality chair or palapa to relax and/or put our stuff down. This was a highlight for us with a child. The main Reserve pool was great. The Family Concierge pool at the main resort was even better as there were palapas IN the pool that made for extended swim time in the shade. The pools were always very clean and well maintained. Towels could be a bit hard to find,at times, so think ahead on towels to be prepared but this was nothing that warrants a complaint. The ease of getting to the bars from the pools was nice if we ever wanted a drink. The Kids' Zone pool was nice as well, although it could get a bit busy at times (as expected)

Kids' Club- The staff at the KC were wonderful and very attentive to our toddler (2 years old). We felt comfortable leaving him there for a time to go to the spa, lunch or a swim. He really enjoyed the interaction and the toys. Arney was someone that truly stood out in the KC as a kid favorite.
The Kids' Club was one of the main selling points for us having a 2 year old as most other resort clubs are 3+ or 4+. The Reserve did this well and very appreciative of the attention to the details to ensure the toddler was having a great experience. The children were also fed, as necessary, which was a nice touch.

Spa- The spa amenities were wonderful and we could spend an entire day in the water ritual pools. The massage therapist was good.

Room- The room was luxurious. There was plenty of space for the family to spread out in the 1BR master BR with private garden. The young one could run around in the garden and we could use the private palapa. The bed was very comfortable and the refrigerator was always well stocked with drinks for the family. The lighting of the room seemed a bit dark and that would be a suggestion for next time.

Nightlife- This does not seem to be a big focus at the Palma Real, but with a young child we were not the target audience. There was a show in the main area at 9pm each evening that was fun to watch but ended rather quickly (45 minutes typically) The drinks were wonderful and readily available in a nice social square atmosphere at the main resort. Great music at night was sufficent for us but others may want more that PPR may not provide.

Overall--> This was a fantastic resort and VERY toddler friendly. Everyone has a unique palette for the food but I feel there was enough variety at the a la carte and buffets to satisfy everyone. The warm staff attempted to make us feel comfortable and welcome at every opportunity and it was appreciated. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to a family with young children or adults looking to relax and unwind.

Room Tip: The Master Suites seem to be a bit more spacious than the 1BR suites. We had a private garden with p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Brian V

Dear Brian,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, your comments serve as a great motivation for all of us and I have gladly passed them on to my team, which are very happy to know they could impress you with the services provided.

Brian, it is an honor to receive your family next year at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

See you soon,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was our first time at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana and, while I did all my research, I was still a bit confused by all of the options. So we stayed at The Reserve, which is a resort within a resort. As far as I can tell this meant we had access to a specific part of the beach where chairs and umbrellas and towels were plentiful, could use the Gabi pool, could eat at Gabi Beach as part of our all inclusive and, of course, had access to our Reserve resort, which had another huge pool and spa and restaurants. Honestly, I hate the concept of elite on vacation, so it felt weird to me, even though I felt we had access to everything. That said, I think the guests with Royal service and/or family concierge also had a lot of access. The main resort, not the Reserve, has the gift shops and nightlife.
The good: Staff was excellent. The food was great-better than great. Fresh. Amazing resturants-Loved Aqua and Gabi Beach and Vento. Our son loved the hibachi places. Noberto went out of his way to make us great reservations each night. He helped us organize zip lining and horseback riding. The Reserve was quiet, the main pool was huge and never too full, kids pool had happy kids in it, lots of lounge chairs and towels and umbrellas by the pool too. The Reserve pools are amazing. Activities are great too- I did pilates and yoga and I loved the instructor-he was terrific. Water aerobics was a blast too. Our child enjoyed the magic show and some other activities for kids.
The bad: There was no escaping a time-share pitch- but the staff was very polite when we refused and I didn't think it changed anything in the way we were treated. The pools were dead by 630 and they say they do the chemicals at 7pm so there was no late night swimming-which seemed a crime with all the pools and a child eager to swim. Also we stayed 4 nights and they didn't have any openings for the free (included) snorkeling trip until after we left-and I checked the day we arrived. Even the snorkel for hire/glass bottom trips were booked up. That kind of annoyed me because it's what we came for and we paid for it but could not do it. In the end, we spent more time at the pool than at the beach.
BTW there's one English kids channel on the tv, I think it's Nickelodeon, but we didn't spend enough time in the room for it to matter.
The Reserve is like the shy, quiet cousin of the main resort and it suited us very well.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RiaDarling

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to write your comments after having stayed with us.

The comments and suggestions of our customers are of the utmost importance and assistance to us. I regret to hear your perception about our time sharing.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future to your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.