“Why would you go anywhere else??”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #4 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Why would you go anywhere else??”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I'm not one for writing reviews, but I felt as if The Reserve deserved yet another positive remark. This was my first time visiting the Dominican Republic with my family and I'm glad we chose this place.

As soon as we arrived we felt right at home and welcomed. The grounds were absolutely stunning, and everything was very well maintained (you can tell they take pride in their yard work). The room we stayed in mimicked something that you see in movies, very spacious and elegant. As for the staff, they are some of the nicest people you will ever encounter.

There were a particular few who made our stay extra enjoyable. From the moment we first arrived we were greeted by a guy named Carlos Pena, who never hesitated to help us out and inform us of what activities were going on throughout the day. He was very sociable and nice to talk to. Then there was Chocolate (aka Edward), who brought so much positive energy to the table, and definitely prevented us from gaining dreaded vacation weight with all of his aquatic aerobic classes. Last but not least, our Family Concierge, Gabriel Bobadilla, who made sure that we were always happy. We're not necessarily the easiest family to deal with, but he always faced any of our requests with a positive attitude and smile on his face (seriously though, he was always smiling). On our last night, he surprised us with an array of chocolates and fruits, rose petals on the bed and inside the bubble bath, and a balloon filled hot-tub. His incredible service made us dread returning to DC.

All in all this goes to the top of the list in terms of one of my favorite vacations (and I've been on MANY). Calm atmosphere, friendly people, wonderful experience. We'll definitely be back.

A couple tips for those coming:
1. If you're staying at the Reserve, make sure to check out the regular resort (Palma Real) as well, you get the best of both worlds
2. Guys, bring long pants and closed toed shoes (it's a requirement for certain restaurants)
3. The wi-fi isn't great, so be prepared to un-plug
4. Enjoy! You chose a great place!!

Room Tip: Pool views are the best!
7 Thank Stephen B
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for having selecting us as your vacation destination, I am glad to know that our services and facilities met your expectations.

I also would like thank for sharing your experience with us, your comment is a great motivation for all of our staffs and I will gladly pass them to my team especially, to Carlos, Edward and Gabriel Bobadilla, they will be very happy to know they could impress you with the services provided.

Our team is going to be more than pleased to welcome and pamper you again at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Paradisus Resorts DR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,504)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I am a little delayed in writing this review, and normally I do not post reviews. My husband and I have been many places and stayed at some fabulous hotels, our early July trip this year to The Reserve was one, if not, the best. Before we even arrived, Marina Nunez, Family Concierge Manager was very helpful and responsive to inquiries and assisting us in making this a special family vacation. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and a special birthday for my husband.
The property is beautifully maintained. The rooms are very well appointed and comfortable. It was very nice to have such a generous amount of space. The private garden was a lovely place to relax and for our son to have outdoor space to play as he wished.
Scarlet Montalvo was our Family Concierge. At first we had reservations as to the need for a concierge or not, and also did not want someone to be too intrusive. Scarlet was WONDERFUL. Very warm, personable, knowledgeable, attentive and accessible. She was perfect. Our three year old son enjoyed her so much that he still tells me he misses her and wants to go back. She helped with recommendations, reservations, checking in with us and never was too much or too little in her approach. She made us feel taken care of and made wonderful arrangements to celebrate our special occasions. Thank you!
The grounds are amazing. The layout is such that makes you feel as if you are only one of a handful of guests when in actuality the hotel is fully booked. The pools are beautiful, refreshing and relaxing. The children's pool is wonderful. The Kids Zone and staff were very welcoming and inviting - our son chose not to partake but maybe when we return.
All the staff are warm and friendly, very accommodating and attentive. All the bars, restaurants, golf carts, everywhere. The day staff at the HydroGrill were amazing. They went above and beyond to make our stay indulgent and we need to hit the gym now for sure!! I hope I remember everyone's names and spell them correctly: Felipe Castillo the manager was so gracious and courteous to my husband, he was a dream. Miguel Carpio, Juan Tiren, Marino Compedra, Lemuel Santana - our vacation and dining experience would not have been the same without you all.
I did a lot of research prior to booking this trip. Living in New York City we really wanted to enjoy a fun, relaxing, upscale and not crowded all inclusive vacation. The Reserve provided this and more than we could have imagined. The services of reserving lounges at the beach, providing sand toys for our son, arranging a private dinner on the beach and so much more were exactly what we were looking for. Thank you to all the wonderful, professional and gracious staff. We are already talking about returning next year. We have recommended this hotel to anyone and everyone who asks about our trip. Outstanding!!!

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Abby D
Dear Abby D,

Allow me to express my gratitude to you and your Family. Thank you so much for having choosing us to celebrate your holydays. I am glad to know that we made your experience even better.

Furthermore, I am happy to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and the services provided by Marina Nuñez, Scarlet Montalvo, Felipe Castillo, Miguel Carpio, Juan, Lemuel Santana, and Marino. Thank you for your appreciation and I will transmit them your comments.

Your comments are importantly appreciated and I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again at this your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

First of all I must start off by saying that my husband and I consider ourselves "all inclusive resort snobs". We thought that no resort could be beat Excellence in Cancun but after staying at The Reserve,  we were mistaken. Let me begin by thanking and mentioning some of the hard working staff that made our family vacation the most memorable so far:

Glenys Martinez- I love this lady!!! She went above and beyond to ensure that we got the dinner reservations that we wanted for our five night stay. Previous reviewers complained about reservations being a problem but it went very smoothly.  My advice is to know which places that you're interested in going to prior to your trip and email the resort ahead of time or upon check-in at the latest. Also, it was my mother- in - law's 60th birthday and Glenys helped to make it special. She ordered a scrumptious birthday cake and had party balloons placed in her room while she was out. Glenys stayed in contact with me via email throughout our stay which made the most sense since we were never in our room and my phone was on airplane mode the whole time. Thank you Glenys,  it was as if you were our very own personal concierge and we didn't request or pay extra for it.

Other staff members that deserve recognition and a big thank you are - Rudy Pena(customer service),  Zumba instructor Edward Chocolate(great aqua Zumba class) , Roberto DE Leon (almost family), Teobaldo Santana (our pool side server with a smile), Richardo (bartender/ mixologist with suspenders at Mizu/Aqua Bar). Richardo was inventing drinks that tasted amazing.  My sister in law had a cold and he concocted a drink with ginger, it was freaking awesome!  Hands down this guy was the best there.

Rooms/ grounds - nice, clean and spacious. Turn down service every other night. Our cleaner made sure that we had lots of clean towels, toiletries and she even left mosquito spray upon request. I left notes for her every morning listing things that we needed since it was four if us (my husband and my two teenage girls). The sofa bed turned into a king size bed which was adequate for them to share. We had a walk out garden view which was private and very nice. The grounds were immaculate and clean.  They are ready to remove that dirty plate  before you're finished eating.

Food- OMG, delish!!! Big portion sizes at every restaurant compared to Excellence.  We ate at Mizu, Aqua, Bana Bistro, Gabi Beach, market grill and hydro grill. The restaurants were all very nice with decor that was upscale and trendy. Reserve guests also have exclusive access to certain restaurants that Palma Real guests have to pay for.  Also, if you ever wanted anything that wasn't on the menu, they will go out of their way to get it for you without hesitation. The last night we decided to eat at the buffet at the reserve side and they had authentic Spanish food which sealed the deal on why this place is now my all time favorite.  Also, try the Coco Loco in the coconut shell or without,  if you like coquito then this is your drink.

Beach/pool- splurging on staying at the reserve versus the Paradisus section is a no brainer! SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY!!!! Better pools at the reserve and more
attentativeness by staff. Better food selection, more space to move around and plenty of pool chairs and places to sit and eat. The beach was beautiful and the sea weed was there but so what. The reserve guests have their own private section on the beach with huts that have comfortable beds. Its a short walk or a quick golf cart ride that comes every minute or two (no exaggeration). We never waited for a ride back and forth. It was actually pretty fun riding on the carts :)

Mosquitos- sneaky lil suckers. Amazingly, I only got bit 2x. They ate up my kids and husband though. Bring bug spray or lotion and utilize it all day!! It's a myth that this suckers only come out at night. They were flying around at the breakfast table and at lunch.
Gym - very nice gym with typical equipment. Clean with fresh water, clean towels. They also offered yoga, Zumba,  spinning,  etc., which was also included.

Wifi- ify in spots but worked consistently in the lobby area and by the reserve section of the beach. We also had intermittent wifi in our room in the 4200 building.

Activities- for giggles we decided to attend the 90 min time share presentation since we were offered a BOGO on excursions and we were a group of 8. In the end we opted for $50 Melia bucks which we used towards the cost of parasailing for two. We ended up paying $40 out of pocket for parasailing. They also gave us an Elite card which could be used for 10% off at the stores on the resort or at the outlets right next door to Paradisus.  Non motorized sports were included so we also took advantage of kayaking.

Nightly entertainment: We missed the Michael Jackson show because they printed the wrong time on the itinerary,  was really bummed about that. Live music each night and it was great.

Tourist fee- $10 cash per person to enter into the country so check with your airline to see if you have to pay this. Airport was a breeze to navigate through with live music while you wait in line.

Transportation: We used Dominican Airport Transfers. They were ok. They had us waiting for 15 mins upon arrival and tried to sell us excursions. I spent $88 on a round trip transfer. Save your money and get a cab, 35 bucks to Bravaro one way .

• Stayed July 2014
11 Thank alfredosanch
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your perception of your recent stay at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real. I am proud to know that you liked our service, facilities and that your expectations were exceeded.

Concerning to the distinguished service provided by Glenys, Rudy, Edward, Roberto, Teobaldo, and Ricardo, I am proud to learn they have positively contributed into your experience and I am also grateful to know that you have appreciated their efforts.

Our team will be more than happy to welcome and pamper you at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I will try to keep this review short and sweet. This place is wonderful. The rooms are beautiful. The grounds are pristine. The staff is amazing. ALL of the employees go above and beyond, for example I asked for a glass of champagne one day at the pool and I got a whole bottle!!! Thanks Julio!! At the Hydro restaurant the chefs made anything we asked for... anything, lobster, shrimp, rice and beans... goat stew (a classic delicious dominican dish), ANYTHING!! Thanks Willy! Thanks to the whole staff at the Reserve!!! One last comment (story) about The Reserve and Palma Real, the first night we are there we are enjoying the show in front of The Avenue Lounge bar which is in the main hotel. One of the entertainers came over and scooped my 10 year old son up. She grabbed him and twirled and danced with him for a while. My son at first wanted no part of this and tried to runaway from her. She persisted but alas she returned him. By the end of the night I see my son walking all around. I asked him what he's doing and he said he was looking for Reyna. We almost fell over. He was so happy. The reason I wanted to share this detail with you its because my son is Autistic. He rarely makes connections with people who are not close family. She got to him. She made him notice whats around him. She made him happy. Anytime we would ask him what he enjoyed the most he would say Reyna. He spent the next few days looking for his new friend every night. I think thats all I have to say. The vacation was marvelous and made even more special by Reyna Daroline!! This was our fifth time at Palmareal. It gets better every time!

Room Tip: Stay at the Reserve. Ask for a room on the first floor with a "private" pool. Its all inc...
5 Thank jewel055
Dear guest,

At The Reserve we are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and to leave the best memories of a wonderful, relaxing, and unforgettable time in our resort. I am glad to know that we have accomplished our goal.

Thank you for your appreciation concerning to the service provided by Julio, Reyna, and Wily, I am happy to know that they built good rapports with your family, especially with your kids. Thank you for your recognition and I will definitely pass them your compliments.

Again, thank you for choosing The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we look forward to welcome you back in our property.

Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real was an outstanding choice for our wedding. We had approx 40 guests and not one complaint from the entire party. The food was perfect every meal , the resort was maintained to perfection and the staff are some of the most pleasnt people i have been around. Juan Tiren kept are glasses and stomachs full at the pool and was a great guy to have around. Our wedding coordinator Sahoni had everything so together that i couldnt believe it , she had back up plans for her back up plans in case the weather was not cooperating. Sahoni was truly a perfect wedding coordinator!! Genaro was our resource for everything else , he had all the answers and helped make our party feel very welcome. Will definetely be back!

Room Tip: Swim up sweet is worth the extra $$
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ryan B
Dear Ryan B,

Thank you so much for having selecting us to celebrate such as a great occasion, your wedding. I am glad to learn that we made this important event unforgettable for you and your family. Moreover, I feel honored to know that our staff made the most to positively contribute into your experience. I will transmit your message to them especially to Juan, Sahony, and Genaro.

Thank you for choosing The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we look forward to welcoming you back in our property.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Can
Phoenix
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our family had a fantastic time at the Reserve. The staff at check-in seemed to have the least helpful attitude of all the folks we met during our stay. They made us feel as if we were bothering them more than their job was to help us. That held true throughout our stay. Any time we went to them for anything...
That being said, Angela Mercedes, hostess at the restaurant and at Aqua, ALWAYS had a friendly smile and positive, helpful attitude. She made us feel welcome each time we saw her! At the pool and the pool restaurant we found Julian Cabrera and Julio Flores to be unbelievably friendly and service-oriented.
Our favorite lunch restaurant was the pool restaurant, though the buffet was consistently good as well. Plan your lunch early or later as the pool grill tends to become fairly busy during peak times. They were also very happy to allow us to deviate from their set menu several times which was very refreshing!
For dinner we liked the Market Grill, Bano, and Vento (at the main hotel) and Mizu at the Reserve. We found the staff at each to be friendly and helpful as well. Be aware that a couple of restaurants require men to wear pants and closed-toe shoes...
We found the room service menu to be nearly inedible which seemed a bit strange...
We enjoyed playing the Cocotel golf courses (3 nine hole courses and 1 was closed when we were there) which is a short golf-cart ride away. The courses were beautiful, challenging, and in pretty good shape overall.
One of our favorite parts of the trip was swimming with the dolphins which was one of my daughter's bucket list items. The park was in great shape with a very friendly staff that was well-organized. Blackfish documentary aside, the dolphins seemed to be well cared for by earnest and loving trainers. Just know they're going to charge you for the pictures going in and you'll have a great experience!
Ours was one of several parties I know of who went deep sea fishing without catching a single fish. It was rather expensive and probably not worth the cost despite their throwing in a quick snorkeling adventure at the end.
They had an acceptable gym and spa at the Reserve. Very nice adjoining rooms with Jacuzzi tubs on the balconies and well-appointed living areas. We found the internet to be spotty.

2 Thank kentdunk
Dear Kentdunk,

Thank you so much for having shared your recent vacation experience with us, I am happy to know that at the Reserve Paradisus Palma Real you have found a special place to celebrate your vacation.

Regarding to the attentively service provided by Angela Mercedes, Julian Cabrera, and Julio Flores, I am proud to know that they contributed in a positive way into your recent stay with us will pass your remarks to them.

Thank you for selecting The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we look forward to greeting you back in our Hotel.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I read over 200 of these reviews and found most of the information very helpful in knowing what to bring and to expect. Hopefully this will help the next person

AIRPORT TRANSFER. We pre-booked our airport transportation both ways through Dominican Plus. When we got off the plane their rep was there to point us through the fastest line through customs. He got our bags from baggage and rushed us straight into a van and rushed us straight to the resort. When it was time to leave, they pulled up on time and took us back. No hassles at all.

Was never once approached to buy a timeshare, and we were already prepared to put a quick end to that anyway.

THE ROOM: The room in the Reserve was awesome, to say the least, and better than expected! We booked the cheapest room and almost thought they had brought us to the wrong room. It was beautiful and not lacking for anything.
Previous reviews stated the walls were paper thin, this is true, and wish we had upgraded to the non- family area. There was a screaming baby next door that screamed every night and most anytime we were in the room. We were quite aware of every door closing and person talking. That is the ONLY negative comment about the whole resort
The linens, pillows, towels, etc were soft and fresh. Shampoo,cream rinse, body wash and blow dryer are provided and our electronics work in their plugs.

FOOD: Food was good, well worth the additional cost for the dinner at Passions for the 7 course tasting meal and wine flights. Even the buffets had good food. There are plenty of healthy choices and new foods to try.

THE GROUNDS: Also awesome. Not a leaf out of place, lots of native fruit trees, plants, ponds, birds, etc to look at. No trash anywhere. Surprisingly few Mosquitos. Enjoyed walking everywhere, taking in the scenery. Tram is available but you can walk anywhere in 7 minutes.
The pool chairs are first come - first serve and it seems that even at 730 am, everyone has placed items on the chairs. The cabanas are reserved and if not used by 10am, supposedly they become available. What we noticed was that no one ever showed up to most of the chairs or cabanas until around 3 in the afternoon. Their personal items remain there all day keeping others from being able to get a chair with shade.

BARS: never a grumpy bartender, always cheerful and happy to see you.

THE BEACH. It doesn't get any better than this!! We had a reserved hut everyday that had a bed as well as 2 loungers and a table. We were greeted every morning with lots of towels and assistance getting settled in. The water is awesome, nice white sandy beaches. There is security perched there and if any beach vendor tries to approach you, on the property are removed. The vendors that sell jewelry, cigars etc on the beach are licensed and have badges and uniforms.

LANGUAGE BARRIER: neither of us speak much Spanish other than the usual phrases everyone knows. Most employees speak English quite well, but actually light up if you try to use their language no matter how bad you are at it. Most of the waiters will give you a few words to learn when you can't order what you want to drink, they seem to really enjoy interacting with the guests in this way.

THE PEOPLE: this is where Paradeisus excels. Never once came across an employee that did not exceed our expectations, that did not have a smile on their face, or who didn't tell you that it was their pleasure to serve you. There was not one person we interacted with that didn't understand excellent customer service.

There were a few that went above and beyond the call of duty.

- Our concierge, the handsome Yeuri Beltre. He answered lots of questions, made excellent dinner reservations for us, and without being told it was my birthday, he decorated our room, provided a cake and ran an aromatic bath with rose petals for us. It really was quite touching and made us feel so special.

- Our very special beach service employees, Ramon Ramirez, Luis Santaro, and Oneida Zorilla. Every morning they rushed to us with " Good morning, Good Morning Mi familia"and 20 minutes later was "drinkie drinkie" we never had to want for anything and chose to spend 6 of our 7 days with them.

- Our most excellent waiter at Passions. I can not find where I wrote his name, but am almost positive it was Juan. We ate there the night of July 9th and had to borrow the magnifying glass as we forgot our glasses if that helps with identifying him. He was just a warm person who seemed to genuinely enjoy talking about the food that was served.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple