“Completely surpassed our expectations...Fabulous vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“Completely surpassed our expectations...Fabulous vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

I have to admit, I don't write reviews. However, I got home from this perfect vacation and had to write something. Any negative stuff about the Reserve that written I believe is because the people weren't aware of the Reserves location within the resort. We got nothing but topnotch service at this beautiful hotel. The Reserve is private, remote and immaculate. Anyone talking about it not being clean must have had a glitch in their service. Our room was cleaned and immaculate every day. The hallways, shining. You could smell the cleaning supplies walking through the buildings. We saw people cleaning constantly.

The service in the hotel was spectacular, especially the Family concierge, César. He did a great job of booking our dinners, scuba diving for my hubby, massages for us both. He left treats for our 8 year old daughter every day in the room, from sweet treats to eat to bubble baths filled with balloons and scented pillows. Treats for us too one night with champagne on ice...candles...jacuzzi filled with bubles. It was completely over the top. All-in-All, the Reserve is GREAT if you want privacy and you want to feel special.

Now as for the Main hotel, just as beautiful but a bit more crowded. We never had trouble finding seats by the pool but there were more people here than at the Reserve. The little golf cart ride to the main hotel was 4 minutes (I timed it) and we rarely had to wait more than 5-10 mins for a cart to show up to cart us to our destination. The beach here was the most beautiful we've seen...and we've been to some gorgeous beaches in Hawaii and felt this beach blew some of those away. Powdery sand, white, clean, beautiful.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to have a relaxing and peaceful vacation. My only suggestions to the hotel would be to set up some "snack" stands. Sometimes, midday you just wanted something to snack on and there really wasn't anywhere to go to get that. Maybe a little shop open all the time with chips/ice cream/snacks as part of the plan. Speaking of food, all the meals were very good. We have had better at some resorts in Mexico but on a scale of 1-10 we'd give it a 8 1/2. Some restaurants better than others, buffets always had a great array of choices and the food during lunch was like a dinner.

We saw the Cirque Show and I agree it was a bit amateur but my daughter enjoyed it. As it got going it got better. The buffet that night was unbelievable and made the whole experience worth it. There were other shows at the beach (there was usually something every night so I don't understand the lack of nighttime entertainement comment) but they usually didn't start until 9...which my little one couldn't seem to stay up for. But had we been alone we probably would have seen more.

Being at the Reserve you do have special priviledges, including eating at all the hotels at the Reserve and the good restaurants at the main hotel, most guests have to pay to eat at, but not if you are from the Reserve. We found most of the staff very friendly and accomodating but we will admit some were downright rude. I don't know if was just a language thing or a culture thing but knowing tourism is their main income, you'd think they'd at least say thank you when you give a tip. That was not the norm but it was noticeable. I'd say 85% of the staff were great and willing to help and gracious. The rest, you felt a bit uncomfortable with how you were treated.

Great place, you won't be disappointed. :-)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mishy58

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,391)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

One of the most beautiful beaches. We've been to many. You must upgrade to the Royal Service. They truly spoil you. Anything you want is a call away.Good food but not fantastic.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

My husband and I grabbed a bunch of our friends and family and headed down to the dominican for our wedding and vaca. This was a first time trip for most of them and they were blown away! There was one couple that came down with us and they had stayed at the secrets resort just 6 months prior and they said when they come back they'll stay at the Paradisus again! Not only was it set on the cleanest beach I've ever seen but the staff (which we all know can ruin a trip) were the friendliest I've ever encountered. The staff enteracted great with children and adults a like. Emilio at the gabi and Simona at the lobby were our favorites! The restaurants are fabulous and there are so many to choose from. El Romantico is where I had my reception at and the food was amazing!! There was one evening where we weren't delighted with our meal but the great thing is you just get up and move to another one of their restaurants. My wedding went off without a glich! The Romance team was truely on top of everything and covered all aspects. I forgot to get a photographer and they were able to get one a day before my wedding day. Pics turned out great and everyone cried at how beautiful it was (ok well not the guys). The dominican drinks dirty monkey and coco loco are a must! We tried to duplicate them back home with no such luck! I would suggest to anyone to visit Paradisus Punta Cana. It's a trip that everyone loved and EVERYONE is in such a depression to no longer be there! Don't worry, we'll go back soon enough!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cgnr
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

Just got back from a perfect time with perfect weather from the Reserve at the Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana. We stayed in a Swim-up suite with our 19 year old son and it was large enough to accomodate even his mess. beautiful room with the pool right outside the patio door. Couldn't be better. it's a 5 minute walk to the beach-- really easy and a very pretty walk. The beach is that powdery white sand with lots of comfortable chairs and palapas for those who don't want to be in the sun. The service was very good and the people were very nice. The staff tries very hard and if they make a mistake due to a language issue they fix it. I really think it's ridiculous for people to complain that no one speaks English-it's their country and their language is Spanish. First of all many of the staff do speak English and secondly if you want everyone to speak English go to Florida ( actually not everyone speaks English there either). What was also nice was that all of the tourists weren't American. There were families from Russia,Germany and France and from Latin America-i enjoy talking to people from other countries.. The food was very good and certainly plentiful. Breakfast is always my favorite meal on vacation and it was delicious with freshly made omlets and the best orange juice. We all went to the Spa and it was beautiful.My husband went 3 times and had massages and hand and foot treatments that he loved. I had one of the best facials I've ever had!! My husband and son played golf and enjoyed it and it's right across the street from the resort. My son also did the scuba diving course which was lots of fun. All in all I would highly recommend the Reserve for a stress free, relaxing and very pampered vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Little River P.o.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

I would recommend this hotel with two caveats explained below. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous. The food was acceptable to excellent - depending on the restaurant and the dish ordered. The service was excellent with one glaring exception - discussed below. We elected to pay the difference to stay at The Reserve. We were upgraded to a suite with a garden, which was private and beautiful. I don't know how the rooms at the Reserve compare with the rooms at the Palma Real. The disadvantage with the Reserve is that you are a distance from the main activities in the hotel. The grounds at the Reserve are beautiful and we loved the walk. However, the main reason for staying at the Reserve is not the location but the fact that you can eat at restaurants that are reserved for Reserve guests only, and two of these restaurants had the best food - Gabi Beach and Gabi Club. Note that we did not notice that the dress code was enforced for the restaurants. We saw individuals at all of the restaurants in everything from casual to formal. This was our first all-inclusive resort and we were pleased with the food and drinks that were offered as part of the package. The one drawback to this hotel is the lack of evening activities. I talked to some people who had stayed at other all-inclusive resorts in the area that they said were as pretty and offered a lot more evening activities. We liked the shows they offered and did two snorkeling tours but would have preferred more activities at the resort, as you are generally restricted to the resort area. Note that we enjoyed the free snorkeling tour offered by the hotel a lot. They have a very small casino. The only flaw in our entire stay was our concierge. The Reserve guests are assigned a concierge who is suppose to take care of your requirements. Our concierge was Dalliance and I urge anyone who stays there to request another concierge. Dalliance's entire reason for working there was to pressure everyone to attend the sales pitch for the time share. He is very pushy to the point of being rude and he lied to us to try and get us to attend. Once he figured out we would not attend, he was inattentive and rude. We ended up making all of our own reservations to avoid dealing with him. I don't know if the Paradisus encourages this type of behavior or if it is only Dalliance who does this, but this would be a reason I would not return to this hotel. the other individuals at the hotel were very nice.
Pros
Drop dead gorgeous grounds
Beautiful architecture
Beautiful white sand beach
Clear water - which is cold but still nice
Wonderful drinks
Beautiful artwork and sculpture
Good and sometimes great food
Nice friendly people
Cons
Lack of evening activity options
Pools are freezing
Rude behavior by Dalliance - the concierge at the Reserve

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dixie S
Needham, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2010

Our stay at the Reserve was a huge disappointment. I want to start by saying that we are not negative people and have been lucky with many wonderful vacations in the past. We looked forward to this trip for a long time. My husband and I have stayed at beach resorts and all-inclusives in Mexico; coming to Paradisus, our expectations were set high, and we experienced one disappointment after the next, starting on day 1. The property at the main hotel is beautiful, and the Paradisus offers a lot at first site - but the experience of it was shocking.

The Reserve is about a 5-10minute walk from the beach. Not a huge deal going back and forth, but I will say you do have access to more restaurants when you stay at the Reserve. That being said, our experience of the food was terrible. We arrived around 4 pm - yes, they do offer a welcome drink, but it was sickeningly sweet - still, I was optimistic that we'd find something better as we ventured out on the property in search of a post-flight snack at this "all inclusive resort." We were directed to the Gabi Club, where there was a lunch buffet set up. The stench in the buffet room and the dirty handles on the serving utensils caused my appetite to plummet. The food looked as if it had been sitting there for 5 hours and was completely picked over... so we walked to the main hotel where there was another buffet - this buffet offered hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken nuggets and some questionable ceviche. All I can say is that we left our kids at home so we wouldn’t have to look at chicken nuggets for a week. We tried many of the restaurants and were disappointed with each and every meal during the course of our stay - fatty leg of lamb, soup so salty it tasted like seawater, ceasar salad dripping with water, overcooked salmon (twice!) and sashimi at the sushi bar where they were "all out" of avocado and forgot to de-bone the fish. My husband and I are true foodies, and though the resort “tries” hard, the food was essentially awful. The "fancy" restaurants on the property serve the same dinner rolls you see at all the buffets for every meal. The room service menu was extremely limited - and in my opinion, rotten plums should be excluded from fruit plates and grilled chicken on top of a salad should never taste like tuna fish.

The house (included) wine was "shake it off bad," as another guest described so well. I love sauvignon blanc - they offered one type on the house list and it was not enjoyable at all. The waiters were not knowledgeable about the wine list, as all they knew was “white or red.” My husband and I decided to suck it up & purchase a cheap bottle of wine from the non-included wine list two nights so that we could at least enjoy a couple of glasses. The bottles we spent $25-30 on were probably equivalent to $7.99 bottles at home, but still better than the house wine.

With the exception of housekeeping, the service was poor. It rained quite a bit during our stay, but the staff by no means went out of their way to help us get through the week. There was no beach service (on the drizzly days, we still sat out there) - the staff were kind of just hanging around, not approaching to see if anyone needed anything. The golf carts that take you to the main hotel (where we had dinner reservations) were not available when it was pouring rain - we were told only one cart was running and we had to walk if we wanted to get there on time (& by the way, they make a point to tell you your reservation will not be held if you arrive more than 10 minutes late - even though the restaurants were always ½ empty!) The bottom line is, no one went out of their way to help & we were always left feeling like we were bothersome to the staff - perhaps it's in the training.

The room, although spacious, had yellow lighting. It was hard to even read a book because it always seemed to be dark. With the rain and a dark room, I felt like I needed a lightbox while we were there!

A few positives worth mentioning - the 80’s retro night - sounds corny, but was actually fun and entertaining. Cappuccinos were a treat. The fitness center was decent and there was a nice padded patio area where I was able to do some yoga. The spa was very relaxing and we enjoyed some massages there. Only glitch was that the men's steamroom was out of order, but they failed to mention this when my husband paid the admission fee just for access to the facilities. So for $28 he got to sit in the sauna for 10 minutes and in a jacuzzi with 6 other people.

Bottom line, we left 2 days early because it just wasn't worth it to stay anymore and we preferred to be back with our children and their chicken nuggets. We value service, good food and a welcoming & helpful attitude. The $120 per person per night all-inclusive fee was truly a poor value, considering what we experienced. Even in the absence of sunshine, if we had been impressed with good meals and better service, we would have appreciated the week as a much-needed and well-deserved time to refresh and recharge. Instead, we left with stress, disappointment and a willingness to pay the $300 fee to change our flights.

As a consolation, they offered us one complementary night on our next stay! I don't think so.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank shbrown
palos hills,illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

My stay at the Reserve was a great experience,The staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make our stay the best it could be. Our concierge Skarlyn Medrano and the restaurant manager Ricardo Mora and many others,. were always a phone call away . Our suite was beatifully decorated and always clean. Some people forget that they are in a non-english speaking country.and there will be a language barrier getover it.The food at all the restaurants The Gabi Club,Agua ,Mizu and Hydro Grill were all good. If you didnot like meal that you orderd just order something else they were very accommodating The Travel to the paradisus and beach was a five minute ride via golfcart or a good twenty minute walk to graze at the beatiful landscape gounds My husband and I have traveled to many caribean islands and have experience good and bad . The Reserve in my sons lingo was the bomb.(all good) My only bad experience was at the airport when some gentleman had to much to drink on the flight there and took my luggage.for his own,a big thanks to the airport staff who stopped his bus before they left the airport. What a shock he would had.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family