“A great addition to your vacation!”

Pelicano Water Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, sailing, parasailing, Pelicano Sport offers you adventures from the blue depth of the ocean to the blue of our tropical sky. Pelicano Sport is one of the market’s leaders on the eastern coast of the Dominican Republic in Punta Cana and Bavaro and is recognized as one of the best water sports companies in the Caribbean. Pelicano Sport has its bases in the Ocean Blue & Sands Hotel (5-star) and the VIK Arena Blanca Hotel (4-stars) but also offers first rate service to the clients of the other hotels in the area of Bavaro/Punta Cana. Pelicanosport is a member of the internationally renowned Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), provides highly professional standards and has been cited on many occasions by different magazines such as: ScubaDiving and the German magazine Unterwasser, Tauchen and Taucher for their exceptional diving programs as well as other diverse magazines and exclusive International fotoshoots.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“A great addition to your vacation!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My kids and I are new ocean divers and had the opportunity to do some scuba diving at the Pelicano Water Sports Dive shop which is located on the Ocean Blue & Sand Grounds in Punta Cana on Bravaro Beach. They have a friendly, professional staff that promotes safe diving and dive training. Peter L is the dive master and is very friendly and instills confidence. Chris answered all of my questions before we left on vacation so we knew what to expect. Diego and Joyce are very friendly and make the diving a fun experience.They have large dive boats and have good equipment. We did bring our own wetsuits, masks, fins and snorkels, but are available at the dive shop. My two teens completed their open water dive certifications with Pelicano by referral (did the classroom study and confined pool dives at home through a local dive shop). They took us to some great coral dive sites including the Astron wreck site. We saw Lion Fish, Puffer Fish, Rays, Barracuda, and a nurse shark, among many others. Next time I will bring a better camera.
Pellicano Sports and Ocean Blue & Sand is a great place to vacation. We hope to return next year!

Visited March 2014
Pelicanowatersports, Manager at Pelicano Water Sports, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
thanks for the positive feedback! We are really happy that you and your kids can enjoy now dives together!

We are looking forward to see you again!

Chris

Kimberley, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Padi Open Water Course”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We brought my kids (30+) to Punta Cana to take their open water course. Josie at Pelicano was great with both of them and they had were the only 2 in the class. When possible the class dives were are the same time and location as my husband and my self. I got some great pictures of their learning experience. Dago was our guide on all our dives and he always made it interesting. The staff also assisted with other tours we did. My daughter and my self had a great surf lesson. My husband and son had a great time fishing, catching a Mah Mah and white Marlin.

Visited February 2014
Pelicanowatersports, Manager at Pelicano Water Sports, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
thanks for your positive review about your experience with our dive center. We are happy that they learned diving with us and became confident and you enjoyed as the whole family your dives.
Aveiro, Portugal
“Amazing experience!!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Me and my boyfriend Eduardo joined this amazing team in the scuba diving! We have to say thank you again for all the profissionalism, kindness and help! It was a great day for both of us and it couldn't be possible without the high performance of all team members! Thanks to the nicest German lady that we ever met, to Dago and Imka and a special one to Sascha! All the best, see you in the future. Maria & Eduardo

Visited February 2014
Pelicanowatersports, Manager at Pelicano Water Sports, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
thanks for your positive feedback! We are very happy that you renjoyed your first dive in the ocean! We hope to see you again and have so e more great dives!

Chris
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fantastic place to learn to dive”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I learnt to dive here last October, and i can only say that this is an excellent school. The dive instructors were very professional, friendly and very calming for an inexperienced diver. Each day I was picked up and dropped off by speed boat to my hotel, the dives were varied and really great sites and the group size was small enough for a beginner to feel comfortable and an experienced diver to still get attention.

Visited October 2013
Pelicanowatersports, Manager at Pelicano Water Sports, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
thanks for your positive feed back!
We are glad to hear that our team made your first diving experience comfortable and enjoyable!

We look forward to dive with you again

your Pelicano Water Sports Team
Boston, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“All about snorkeling (and shark/ray experience) excursion”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Seems like all the reviews were about diving, but my friends and I were interested in their snorkeling trip so I'm writing a review.
We signed up for their half day trip, which included snorkeling on the Bavaro coast (north east facing side of Punta Cana), and the "shark/ray encounter" and drinks afterwards.

BEFORE:
Contacted via the website to get more details and got a response from "Chris". I asked more questions and he always answered within a day.
Got up the courage to pay via PayPal, and they email you a voucher. Don't be confused - if you sign up for the shark/ray encounter, it INCLUDES the snorkel trip. So for an extra $20 you get to do that.

DURING:
The priced included free pickup from our resort (Hard Rock) at 12:40, arrival at their dive shop at 1:00. After a brief intro, we all got onto a boat (2 decks, shade below and sun above) which took a 40 minute ride to the snorkel site.
We snorkeled for about 30 minutes (definitely could have stayed longer) along a decent section of reef including a brain coral, a few branched corals, and some others. It was not spectacular. I've seen better off Key West and in Belize. A few unusual fish but most were fairly common.

Then those who signed up for the shark/ray encounter then got into a small motorboat and went to a special area in the ocean where the sharks and rays were in separate enclosures (look like very large swimming pools but with natural sandy bottoms). You get to touch and hold the rays but not swim with them. Then you get to swim with the sharks (they are big nurse or reef sharks) but you don't get to touch them. The sharks stay near the bottom about 10 feet down, while the humans float on top. You are not allowed to swim to the bottom to disturb the sharks.

Afterwards we got back on to the bigger boat then were taken to a place where the seafloor is sandy and shallow, about chest deep. There they served rum and cokes, and some local hard liquor that sounded like "marijuana" but wasn't. We stayed there for maybe 30-40 minutes. There were tons of other tour boats there, especially the big one from the Manarium, which was a much pricier tour that we considered before we found Pelicano Sports.

AFTER:
We went back to their dive shop, then the shuttle driver took us back to our hotel.

Overall impression was great, though being touted as a snorkeling trip, that part of the trip could definitely have been longer. From what I read in reviews of other snorkel trips, people in general don't seem to take snorkeling more seriously are are in fact more interested in drinking.

There was no dancing on this tour in case you were wondering. The boat would have been too small for it. The crew was very nice and professional in general.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank babystepsbabysteps
thanks for the detailed review and yes our water sport and dive center is not only about diving, we offer snorkel excursions, surf lessons and a lot more.

I am happy to help everybody to schedule their excursion, dives or courses ;-)) before they come!

We hope to see you again