“Wonderful stay!”

Ranked #55 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Wonderful stay!”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Appreciated the easy check-in packages given out on the bus on route from the airport.

We found the accomodations very comfortable and the grounds, beautiful. For
an adult and two adult children, there was lots to do. The staff was friendly, hard working
and made our stay very enjoyable. The entertainment was great. We enjoyed the beaches,
pool and the beautiful main buildings. Lots of fresh fruits, salads and variety of foods.
No complaints except that a week was too short for us!

A big thank you to everyone at the Catalonia Bavaro, Beach, Casino and Golf Resort.
We had a wonderful holiday!

9 Thank painter2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (923)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brantford,ON
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Just got back from our stay mar 2 - mar 9. Travelled with my husband and 2 children ages 3 and 5.

The resort grounds were beautiful and well maintained. The rooms are dated but large and they gave us a room with 2 twin beds and a king to accommodate the family. The staff were really helpful and the maids did an excellent job of keeping our room clean.

Food - buffet always had a variety and if you can't find anything then you are too picky. Never any line ups for omelet stations....and if you tip, hand it right to the person as another waiter will take it.

Went to the Italian restaurant - fabulous!

Overall had a great time, kids had a blast and would recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed March 2012
8 Thank branstem
Toronto
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My family (wife and 10 year old daughter) and I stayed here over the Christmas holidays (Dec. 31-Jan. 7), and am just now getting to writing the review. The resort was OK, but there are many, many areas for improvement. We have stayed at a number of all-inclusive resorts, most of which were priced higher than here, and now I see why.

The grounds of the resort were very nice, no doubt. I only wish that some of the effort on the grounds would have been spent improving other areas.

The beach was the best part of the resort. Nice, white sand, and warm water. Yes, there is seaweed, but they work very hard to clear it away. The beach bar is OK, and the bartender was very nice. When it is busy, sometimes they seemed to run out of plastic cups - how is that possible???? How much would an extra 200 cups cost the resort - $400??? Unbelievable, and inexcusable, in my mind. Also, one day a number of the resort staff played volleyball with guests. The staff members seemed to be from Quebec, and seemed to refuse to want to speak English! When asked a question by a guest, one guy (seemingly the leader) openly commented that he could not speak English and did not seem to care about the guests. Oh well, I can speak a little French, so it did not personally bother me.

The restaurants are OK, but the buffet only worked for us for breakfast. The breakfast buffet was almost always crowded, and previous complaints about waiting for everything were certainly true for us. The OJ in the morning did not seem to be fresh, almost certainly from powder. To top it off, if/when they had glasses (they seemed to run out of glasses here too all the time), the 'juice' was warm to boot. For lunch, the beach restaurant did not have much that appealed to any of us. Like other guests have commented, the pizza bar is the best option. Although again, if it rains (which it did a bit for us), there did not seem to be any desire for the staff to clear the standing water around the pizza area. It was quite gross, walking through a couple of inches of standing water to try and get to some pizza. There was no rush to clean it up either. This lack of attention to detail is what makes this resort less than wonderful.

The buffet restaurant for dinner was a disaster, the a la carte restaurants are way better. The Japanese was pretty good, Benihana style. Beware, the steak restaurant serves steaks that remind me of Ponderosa (if you are old enough to remember them!). The steaks were about as thick as your regular hamburger patty. The taste was OK, but nothing special. Also, if you like red wine with steak, be prepared to buy some, as the 'house' wines were pretty awful. However, every a la carte restaurant is vastly superior to the buffet restaurant for dinner, for sure.

The rooms were OK, but nothing special. I did not notice problems with the mattresses or the pillows mentioned by other people here. Do not get a ground floor room if at all possible. We were given one first, despite specifically asking for one not on the ground floor, only to find a little six-legged friend in the room (cockroach). The solution to this problem was to spray the room, while we were there! We did book the privileged section of the resort, and the rooms are definitely quiet, but distant from the rest of the resort.

The final annoying part of the resort was the 'shopping mall' part of the place. Almost every night, we would go to the creperie for dessert, as they made really, really nice crepes with coffee at this part of the resort. The crepes were included in the all-inclusive part of the resort. Right next to the creperie, there was an ice cream parlour. However, you had to pay to get ice cream here, at high prices. I believe that a single scoop cost USD$2.75 - as much or more than at home. You could get free ice cream in the buffet restaurant. I don't understand the thinking behind this set up. It made me feel like they were trying to rip everyone off!

Overall, not a bad resort, but I am sure you can do much better. It is safe for kids, and they will definitely like the pool. The pool bar is OK, but the serious drinkers (of any nation, both young and old) tended to hang out there. Service was only really good if you tipped people, which in my mind, given that you already paid for the drinks in your all inclusive fee, seemed again like they were taking you for a ride.

Service here was spotty, with some really nice people, and some not so nice. The guys that run the towel service were unfriendly at best. Despite being a 'privileged' guest that normally provided for fresh beach towels every night, we did not get them all the time. We tried to get our own fresh towels in the morning, and the towel guys did not cooperate. Annoying to say the least. One time, he actually gave me a dirty, half-sized, paper-thin, ratty towel as a beach towel. I went to the pool, dipped it partially in the water and returned it later for a newer one, when a different guy was working.

Also, not many of the people there speak English, which is not normally that bad, given that we are in a country that does not speak English as a national language. But, you would expect that people working there should speak some English, given that about 50% of their clientele speak English. Oh well, not always a problem.

Overall, there were too many little problems with the resort that prevent me from remembering it as a great place to stay. I believe that if 100% results was a perfect vacation, this one got about 70% of things right, which is not really enough. Not bad enough to ruin the vacation, but not enough to make me want to come back either. Buyer beware!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get the privileged rooms, not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank CGToronto
Indianapolis
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Went to Catalonia Bavaro with my husband and two adult children. Read some negative reviews about it on Trip Advisor but some of it seemed ridiculous--like complaints about pillows. Unfortunately, those negative reviews were dead on. The grounds are nice and the staff is quite friendly. The beach and weather were great. After that, it was all downhill. The rooms (unless you upgrade to the pricier "priveleged suites") are shabby and dark although very large. The mattresses must be original to the property as well as the small lumpy pillows. A request for different pillows brought more of the same. I have traveled all over the world and never had a complaint about pillows before! For our kids' room, we had requested two beds and reiterated the request at check in, but it had one queen. After 3 calls to the front desk, a slatted metal frame was carried up to their third floor room along with a stained striped twin mattress (no box spring) with no mattress pad or cover and was then made up with sheets. It was really gross. The fitness room didn't open until 8:30 AM and then was not airconditioned and had no fans! You can imagine the smell! The food was average with little variety but my biggest compaint was that the food was rarely hot and there was not enough staff so lines for pasta and omelettes were very long and slow moving. There are much nicer place to stay in Punta Cana and I would not return to Catalonia Bavaro.

Room Tip: Request quiet one and those overlooking golf course are quiet. Otherwise you'll hear people walk...
7 Thank RosieZIndy
Cataloniabav, General Manager at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Valued Client,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent holiday experience at Catalonia Bavaro Resort. We give serious follow up to all comments received and use them to help us improve our services and facilities.

Please accept our sincerest apology, these unforeseen events have no doubt caused you some dissatisfaction and we want you to know that this is certainly not typical of our hotel.

It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and we hope to serve you again in the future.

We look forward to be of any other further assistance.

Kind regards,
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We had a family of 9 travel to the Catalonia which included children and i must say it is a very family friendly resort. Lots of kids, kids clubs looked amazing - our kids didn't take advantage of them and the pool was very child friendly.

We stayed in the priviledge rooms and i believe that the rooms are nicer than the regular rooms but other than that i don't see a lot of extra value. Beds were really comfortable and no lumpy pillows!! Privilege rooms were located closer to the pool and beach but made for a long walk to the lobby area for the main buffet and a la cartes. If anyone has any kind of walking disability this is not the resort for them.

Food. I'm fussy but i was always able to find something. If you're looking for a tender piece of meat you're not going to find it. They have a huge selection of salads, meats, pastas etc etc....best meal for me was breakfast. I loved the omelletes.
The resort has typical all inclusive buffets but i do have to say that they certainly keep the area clean and stocked.

Beach was beautiful. the first couple of days we were there, there was seaweed but it cleared up and was really clear.
Overall I am a travel agent and would send my clients to this resort if the price was right and i made them aware of their options.

3 Thank mylestravel
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to know about your recent stay with us. Thank you very much for your comments. We were pleased providing you an excellent service and to know that you liked much.

Your comments are more than helpful, and we appreciate the feedback we received from our valuable guests. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Thank you for choosing us!

Yours Sincerely,
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I'll get to my review in just a moment, but it is very important to me that I first ask everyone to read this review in the hopes that someone is willing to help.

While at the Catalonia from Feb 26th - March 4th I found a stray dog wandering the resort. You'll recognize her as being tanned/brown in colour, about knee high and with large breast-feeding nipples. She is incredibly thin, with her backbone and hips protruding. I realize these dogs are not encouraged on the resort, and I also realize not everyone enjoys the sight of them. But this dog in particular really does need help regaining some strength and weight if she has any chance of survival. I asked many of the locals in the area, and none of them seemed to believe she had an owner (some of them "own" up to seven dogs, meaning they feed them when they come around to their homes. Only if the locals have bought a pure-bred dog as a family pet do they allow them in the home and feed them regularly).
"Maggie" as we named her, is the most gentle and loving dog you'll meet. I have owned dogs all of my life and have never met a dog as truly appreciative as she is. Despite her horrible weight, her tail never stops wagging!
When we were leaving yesterday, I had a really hard time believing that someone will be there to help see her on the road to good health. I saw people "shoo" her away and one night specifically I saw a bunch of drunk 20-something-year-olds swearing at her. Maggie doesn't visit the resort during the day, so she's really no trouble at all if you see her on one of the paths in the evening (we never saw her before 9:30pm). I am begging anyone going to this resort to please keep an eye out for her and grab her some food from the snack bar. In seven nights we didn't see anyone at the snack bar at this time, so it really isn't a bother to the other guests to grab some chicken or ham for her. If you are a good person who agrees this dog deserves a helping hand to find her way back to good health, please also post this request in your review so that hopefully she continues to receive the help she needs. If you travel to catalonia and you meet Maggie, please be so kind as to send me an email to let me know she's okay.

About our trip:
the resort was a little dated but the grounds are beautiful. We had a crappy first day as we arrived at 2:30pm but our room wasn't ready until 6pm. We would have been happy to change and sit by the pool, but we continued to be told "20 more minutes". When we got to the room the bathroom ceiling was leaking, the bed was broken in the middle, the air conditioning wasn't working and the ceiling fan sounded like it was about to fly off the ceiling. When we returned to the lobby for dinner we expressed the concerns and asked for a new room. They asked us to return at 10am the following morning, so needless to say, we had a very uncomfortable first night. We returned at 10am and were told to return at 2pm. Finally at 2pm we were given keys to a new room which was great and had no problems at all.
The staff is all very friendly, and they go out of their way to make you laugh. We didn't stay up for the evening entertainment so I can't comment on that (more concerned about feeding maggie lol). the pool was alright but we found it to be too crowded and couldn't find a chair as they were all reserved by 8am. We spent the majority of our time on the beach - beautiful white sand and the water is nice. The problem we found with the beach was that you couldn't walk anywhere. if you walked to your right you were in front of catalonia royal and then that small stretch ended and there was no where left to walk. if you walked to the left you were very quickly walking through heaps and heaps of garbage along the shore.. I don't mean the kind of garbage that litters the sand and you can walk around, but actual foot high garbage. So if you were to walk one direction and then the other, you really only have about 10 minutes of walkable beach.

I don't want to completely put anyone off of this resort, as it does have a lot to offer and worked really well for us within our budget. After we got over the first crappy day with sorting out our room, we really did enjoy ourselves!

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank SPF301
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you. Again, we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Cordially,
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I would definitely do Catalonia again! It was a resort which had a lot to do. The staff was really great. The food had a nice selection. My fiancee and I had a great time, we would def. take the family next time.

Room Tip: Make sure you map out where you would like your room to be there was a lot of walking back and forth...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LISA K
Cataloniabav, General Manager at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We certainly enjoyed reading your review and would like to thank you for your kind words.

As a company that prides itself on customer satisfaction, we appreciate knowing that we met your expectations.

We will be delighted if you give us another chance by counting again with their presence in our Catalonia Hotels, so that we may prove that 100% Guest’s satisfaction is our main goal.

Receive warm regards from all our staff.

Kind Regards,
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
#48 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!