“One of Best Vacations Ever”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #55 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto
“One of Best Vacations Ever”
Reviewed 27 May 2008

My son and I had an excellent stay at Catalonia during March break. The resort itself is large, but very clean. Pools of water and small bridges remind of Venice and accommodations are more than decent: spacious rooms, a bathtub, hammocks either on a balcony or private patio.
If you are fussy about food or service, you will never worry about either in Catalonia. Wait staff is extremely prompt and gourmet dishes are plentiful and never repeat on the main buffet. As for a-la carte, I recommend French ( especially lobster) and Mexican restaurants.

Beach is beautiful. There are water sports, bars, and a beach grill restaurant. Different activities are offered on the beach every day. My favourites were stratching and dance classes.

Shows are excellent. You can purchase art and souveneers on site.

• Liked — Bathtub, hammock, fridge in the room
  • Disliked — N/a
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank princessa1Toronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (923)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
nottingham
Reviewed 24 May 2008

what can i say about this place ,just simply the best place me and my wife have ever stopped in,we travel to all parts of the world 2-3 times a year and this so far tops the the lot ,its not just the place its every thing in it ,the food was excellent and if you go you must try out the differnt al-a-cart as well,the staff carnt do enough 4 you ,the maids do a tariffic job on the cleaning of the rooms ,carnt really praise the staff enough
all in all i would give this hotel a 10 out of ten
we will certainly be going back over the next couple of years
if you go go with piece of mind that you will be well looked after and have a great holiday
p.s. i have only one gripe with the place, its gets bloody hot so take sum good factor cream with you
have a great time
marc and vicky nottingham

• Liked — the staff and food well every thing really
  • Disliked — check in staff totally cocked every thing up
3 Thank vicandmarc
Toronto
Reviewed 22 May 2008

***FYI: THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG REVIEW OFR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE INTERESTED***

My boyfriend and I went to Catalonia Bavaro not knowing exactly what we would find after reading all of the reviews on Tripadvisor. We stayed from May 11th - May 18th. for our one year anniversary. It was our first time in Rep. Dom. and I have to say, we loved every minute of it! We booked with Nolitours and recevied everything we requested for our room. The flight was 45 minutes before schedule and we arrived at Catalonia at about 11:00 (inlcuding waiting at the airport and driving on the bus to the resort). Our room wasn't ready, but that was fine because that gave us a chance to explore the property.

The property is huge!!!! There is alot of walking to do which kind of works out if you'll be drinking a lot of Preseidente - hahaha

At about 1pm we were able to get into our room. It was beautiful and spacious and we had a gorgeous view. Our villa was Villa 8 which is right in the middle of everything. (I would suggest to be in Villa 8 or 10 because are dead centre in the middle of the pool, beach and lobby). Our room was a junior suite, with a king sized bed (requested) non-smoking, even though we are smokers (better quality of room that way) and we would smoke on the balcony as it was never cold outside. There are a lot of English channels - Law and Order, Monk, Cold Case and of course the News, TBS - so no to worry about not being able to watch anything in English. Oh, and try to be on the second or third floor of your villa, you are less likely to have any bugs in the room.

Everything you read about the beach and huts are the truth. If you wish to tan on the beach but have the option of shade, you need to arrive at the beach really early and place your towel to save the spot.

The main buffet has breakfast until 10am, and my boyfriend and I would get there for 9am, and that is after placing our towels at the pool and finding shade. (You will for sure find shade at the pool at around 830-9am.) I found the breakfast to be amazing, I never went hungry.. pancakes, bacon, croissants, fruits, eggs, you name it, they had it. Don't believe what you read saying the food was hit or miss. (unless you're extremely picky, but you can't be, it's the Dominican!!) Everything was really really tasty and well prepared. They have coffee (which to me kind of had a choclate after taste to it) banana jucie, papaya juice, pineapple juice, organe juice (which kind of reminded of me tang). They had a chef that would make you an omelet with your choice of sides, the line up was pretty long for that, so unless you don't mind waiting, by all means..

The second buffet is near the beach, we only ate there twice, there are some different selections from the main buffet, but since it's smaller, there isn't much to choose from. That buffet's breakfast is open until 10:30am FYI..

I found that after leaving nice tips to the maid you would obviously get better service (extra towels, little designs on your bed) and as well as getting more replenishment in your mini fridge. (extra water and extra Presidente.) However, every other day my boyfriend and I would leave the Do not disturb sign up, so that didn't really help us. But it was fine to say the least. When it wasn't up, we would get all the extra stuff we needed.

My boyfriend and I found the A la cartes to be excellent (me more than him). However, we both agree that the Mexican (El Maricahi) restaurant was the best! I had the tuna and avocado appetizer to start with (tasty goodness) and I had the Chimichangs for my meal. Both exceptional and delightful. mMy boyfriend had the fajitas, everything was good, hot and ready to be eaten. WE had the fritters for our dessert (two real small donuts, try something else if you want a better dessert)

(Btw, it is recommended to reserve your seats at the A la cartes when you check in. That way for sure you get to eat at the a la cartes and not at such a late time)

The Japanese restrant was great -Mikado - you eat in a square with other ppl and the chef puts on a good show for you. Everything was yummy, appetizer basically futimaki rolls with salmon and tuna sushi. I chose the pieces of steak for my meal and it was just excellent! (They also had chicken and shrimp) The dessert I found to be basically what they serve at the main buffet, maybe one thing different which was ginger cake.

The next restaurant was the Steak house, (I can't remember the name - Texas Rodeo Steakhouse??) I had the pork chops and my boyfriend had the steak. His steak was cooked to his perfection, nice and hot and I my chops were tender and savoury. You even get Bud there!!! (If you're tired from drinking Presidente)

Finally came the Italian restaurant, (La Toscana) I thought it was pretty good considering. I had the carpaccio for my appetizer (if you like raw and cold appetizers, which is how these traditional appetizers are made btw) then you'll have no problems! I also had the ravioli with spinach and ricotta, and considering Rep. Dom is not Italy, it was pretty tasty. The only thing that was deceiving was the dessert - they had these cream filled pastires that said it was filled with nutella, but that wasn't true - so don't get your hopes up.

The entertainment shows were great - I mean considering these people work literally 24/7 - they try their best to put on a good show. Don't get me wrong, some songs may be like real old school songs, which might be a little lame, but hey, over all effort is great. On Monday nightts there is a beach party which is real cool. Try to get there early so you can get a table, and don't worry about eating before the beach party, they have food being made on the beach. (Mistake my boyfriend and I made, which is why we didn't get a real good seat)

They had like a trible dance at the Beach party, Dominican dance on the Fri (president's elecetion) Michael Jackson show on the Sat, and some other real good ones that I kind of don't remember but they were still good. As mentioned before by other travellers, they do have shows and things for children, so that will always keep them entertained. And not to mention that they have various games throughout the day (on the beach) for all you activity-goers - FYI - whoever wins, you are presented on stage before each and every show and receive your prize.

I mentioned that their beer is Presidente (I found the first night at the main buffet to be extremely gasy - maybe pop was added?) but it was only that one night. The have the mixed drinks, Coco Loco, Banana Mama, Pina Colda, Miami Vice etc - but drink with caution, to many mixed coloured drinks with make you really sick!! All of the alcohol is a bit watered down but anytime you ask for more alcohol, the staff are pleased to add more.. so don't be shy.

The weather - PERFECT!!! Hot and sunny all day, depsite everyone had told my boyfriend and I that May is the start of Hurricane season. It did not rain once - only two days there was a bit of cloud that lasted about 30 mins and then the sky was clear and sunny and hot. For all you tanners, I tanned for a month before we left on vacation to help make myself tan darker. Don't be fooled - I still wore SPF 30 the first day. The next day, SPF 15, the day after dark tanning oil and the remaining days I would switch from my Tingle cream from the tanning salon, wash off in the pool/sea because I couldn't take the tingles and then reapply with the tanning oil. I must say that I was a nice colour.

The beach is beautiful - white sandd that is really hot when exposed to the sun, so be careful - there are some rocks in the sand and a lot of butts of smokes - but hey, what can you do? Oh and the concrete arond the pool, I shouldn't have to tell you, but just in case, don't walk around barefoot, you will get burned!! It is bloody hot!!!

The pool is awesome - swim up bar - Franciso is awesome! He will always hook you up. The food bar beside the pool is phenomenal - awesome pizze, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, fries with or without cheese - that's where my boyfriend and I ate every day. EVERYTHING WAS SURPERB!! Don't believe what you read about the food, I am telling you, it is way above average! FYI - there is one CD they play in particular - you may get sick of it by the time you leave (as I did) but now that I am home, I have downloaded all the songs!! Some of the plus are indented in the rooms, so if you have a plug that doesn't have long arms, chances are you won't be able to plug anything in. (Just ask the lobby if you need to charge you camera or what not) Unless you can figure out a way to do it in your room.

They do have a live band playing every night - they are awesome as well and there is a dance floor in front for whoever wishes to dance the night away. One of the nights they have karaokee - take advantage!!

Now, the disco and casino. Casino is real small, I am not much of a gambler, but their rules are different at the Black Jack table, I could explain them, but I may not be making any sense, but for all you Black Jack players, you'll know what I mean. There weren't to may slot machines - I didn't recognize any of them so I didn't play. The disco was fun - we didn't stay to long in it the two nights we went - we're not huge dancers and maybe if we were really drunk - that would have been a different story. But regardless, the staff are all there asking people to dance and have a great time.

Souvenirs - we were told there was a flea market about 20 mins away from the resort, we walked to the left of the resort - don't know if that was the right way, but we didn't find anything. We didn't go to the mall either, we waited for the flea market to come to the reosrt which is normally on Fridays and they set up infront of the main buffet.

You will also be told about "Nicole" who is a Canadian that lives in the Dom.Rep, she sells real cigars and jewelry.. I would suggest you buy your cigars there so than you know for sure they are genuine. Cigars are sold at the flea market, but you never know if it's real.. The jewelry I found at Nicole's to be real expensive for my price range, so if you really want the "real Dom. Rep" stone with real silver, buy it from there, otherwise, if you don't really care, you can get nice jewelry from the flea market.

They obviously do have excursions - my boyfriend and I didn't go on any, even though it would have been nice. I do not regret going because we did want to take it easy. But from what I heard from other people on the resort, the cave, "Maria's house" and the boat party were amazing. They all range from about $83 - $115.

OK, really, finally, I would't recommend this place to single people. There were a few but for you singe guys and single gals, it will be hard to find the same type of group - majority of the visitors are couples and/or families, FYI.

I think I have covered pretty much anything and everything! The staff are awesome, the resort is beautiful, majority of the staff are pleasant and there is not much of a hard time trying to explain what you want, need if you don't speak Spanish. Some of them speak English so it's real easy to communicate.

All in all, I would rate this place a 41/2 star. Only because since it's sooo big, it's hard to real personalize with the staff unless you are with them 24/7.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!!

• Liked — beach, pool, staff, resort itself
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TOSpunk
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 21 May 2008

First off I will say this, the place is gorgeous. But the food is horrible. The breakfast and lunch are buffetts, nothing changes and there are A LOT of flies and birds eating with you. We nicknamed the two places to eat, "hell hut and dungeon of doom". The dinners are edible but nothing to write home about. The best place is the Japanese restaurant but you can only eat there once. The pool was large but too cold to get in when we went(oct). Very well kept up though. The beach was great, lots of room with lots of trees. Very, very windy however. A lot of kids, which is good or bad depending on your purpose of travel. I found the people friendly but ran into a few rude ones. The rooms are great. The one I stayed in was clean. The only complaint is the shower is TINY. The hammock on the porch is nice. If you go in a group, get ready to not be close to any of your group. I think they spread them out on purpose, which I like. I know this sounds bad, but the food really ruined it for me. So did the drinks, they were so sweet you could almost chew them. The beer there was soooooooooo bad, and I like a LOT of different beers. You can however get corona at the mexican restaurant, budweiser at the steak house and I can't remember the beer at the Japanese place, maybe Sapporro. If you are looking for a very inexpensive get away and you could care less about the food then go. But I rate this place 1.5*'s at best.

• Liked — When I left
  • Disliked — The Food Is Absolutley Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2006
4 Thank ShutUpandTravel
cataloniabavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 23 May 2008
Our “Grand Caribe” Restaurant is currently in the process of being upgraded by enclosing the main buffet area, with this in place we will not be having flies or birds in the restaurant.
We usually do not get rave reviews for our cuisine, but if a guest have a certain request, we would love to hear it while they are here so we may do our best to accommodate him or her.
We have our exclusive Public Relations Desk in place; this means any additional request to attend the same restaurant several can be provided any time.

And yes our beach is beautiful and well kept, lots of room with lots of palm trees
Chicago,Illinois
Reviewed 19 May 2008

Lets start with our arrival. We had a total of 3 couples and 1 child in our party, and we booked all 3 rooms at the same time. When we arrived to check in they had us in 3 different buildings not even close to each other. That was not going to work. So this ended up prolonging our check in by about 1 hour.When they where done we where all in the same building on the 3rd floor in the villa 50 yards from the pool and 100 yards from the beach. Couldn't have asked for a better location. All rooms here are basically the same with only slight differences in the bathroom layout. We where the couple with the child (3.5 years old) and when we got to our room they had a seperate bed set up for her, it was fantastic.

Ala-cart restaurants.
Italian (Which used to be the French) -- I would say avoid, appatizers where cold/frozen. Lobster was the barely bigger than a large prawn and you only got half the tail. Steak was OK. Overall very disappointed with this one.
Japanese -- Hibachi retaurant, Awesome Sushi was fresh and tasty, cook was suprisingly talented and put on quite a show. Very fun.
Mexican -- El Mariachi -- We where in a hurry because one member of our party was in that nights talent show on the main stage. And we let them know when we where seated. Still took almost 1.5 hours to get our food (Person in the show had to leave without eating).When we did fianlly get the food most of it was luke wram except for the fajitas. And my skirt steak was cold and undercooked.
Steak -- They have good beef here, but still cannot cook to order. ordered well done and was barely medium rare. ordered a medium for the daughter and it was still basically raw. Overall decent.
For all the specialty restaurants they require you to make reservations. I would suggest doing this as soon as you check in, it is fairly quick and easy. And if you are traveling with a larger group you can reserve a table for almost all, but you need to make sure you all agree on the time.
Buffets -- There is the poolside one which is open for breakfast and lunch only. And the main which is open for all.The main one has a much larger selection of both pre-prepared and cooked to order food. Both have a fresh pasta station which by the way is better than the Italian restaurant. On seafood night don't expect to find shrimp, they just do not serve it in the buffets, there will be plenty of fresh fish but that is about all.
Poolside Cafe -- Pizza, burgers,hot dogs and rottisere chicken. Avoid the Hamburgers not even as good as what you got in school, Hot dogs adequate, Pizza was suprisingly good (Brick Oven) with unique toppings (Shrimp).Hot Dogs where so-so. But the chicken was fantastic (and also available in the main buffet)
Bars -- Numerous, generous with the alchohol, would always put more in if requested. Coco-Loco which is the local drink was great.
Casino -- Small, only open from 7pm til 3am. very few machines and table games. Was OK wouldn't spend much time there.
Nightly Shows -- Very fun, Animacion staff does a great job of putting on a different show every night. Always had a pre-show thing with the kids from the kids club. Games, dancing etc. ANd even though our daughter was not old enough to be in the club they still laet her go up on stage and play just not participate in the games. She loved it.
Disco -- Didn't open til 11, our daughter was in bed before that so we never made it.
Golf -- 9 hole course on site was being refurbished so didn't get a chance to play. There is a fairly new 18 hole course 5 minutes away with free transfers to and from. We played 9 holes here. All I can say is beutiful course reasonable greens fees, nice rental clubs so you don't need to bring your own(I played with a set of Callaway X plus 1.5 length, I'm 6'6"). Suggest you bring your own balls, to buy there is expensive.

I would have to say over all this is a 4 star resort that could easily be a 5 star with an improvement to the food. Our entire group had a fantastic time and would do it again at the same resort.

• Liked — HUge room, nice bathhroom always clean and fridge was always stocked
  • Disliked — Italian retaurant
3 Thank rvanblarcom
ottawa
Reviewed 19 May 2008

Our group of six people stayed at the Catalonia from May 2nd to May 9th and overall had a wonderful time. We have been to other all inclusives and we enjoyed the Catalonia the most. The rooms need to be updated but they were clean and we never lacked for towels and faceclothes ( I mention this because I see that it is a bone of contention with many travellers, I personally don't care if there are facelothes or not. ) We enjoyed the food is all I will say as food is very subjective. The drinks were hit and miss but mostly a hit. The beach is beautiful and the water nice, (wear water shoes there is a lot of rock and coral) The pool is large with lots of chairs. The evening shows were as expected and were taken with a grain of humor. The property and the staff is what truly makes this place special, it is so lush and well tended with a sprinkle of wildlife amongst it. The staff are friendly and never pushy and really do work very hard.

Highlights, Pool snack bar, great chicken and pizza. Beach Party Japanese restaurant, creperie, cappucino and Irish coffee at the lobby bar, Beach bars. Golf

Negatives, casino (dont bother) , pushy vendors on Friday nights.
lots of coral in the water.

• Liked — Large rooms, balconies with rocking chairs and a hammock
  • Disliked — Dated decor
2 Thank southbound
mississauga
Reviewed 17 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the catalonia from April 30-May 13/2008. We loved it. We have been to punta cana 7 times -and can honestly say this was our favorite. We really enjoyed the food in the buffet and in the specialty restaurants. I usually have stomach problems with the foods in the carribean and this was our first time staying for 2 weeks. This was not the case here. The pizza by the pool bar was so good we had it every day. The restaurant down by the beach was my least favorite. Everyone down there (except one of the morning girls in the internet cafe) was so friendly and very accomodating. You never waited long for anything. We spent every day down by the beach. The first week we had no problem getting a hut by 7.30 or so in the morning. Everyone was at the pool that week. But the following week the huts were really hard to come by at that time. Guess the crowd changes every week and so does everyones preference. We had to be down there around 6.00 to ensure a hut anywhere in the first 3 rows. But we always got one. The beach is really beautiful -tons of palm trees on the beach. We thorougly enjoyed our two weeks there and would not hesitate to go back. Everyone works really hard there. So don't forget to tip those people who work to make your vacation enjoyable-whether it is the servers, the lady who cleans the washrooms all day by the beach (because there truly are some slobs who come to these places, or whether it is the people making your pizza or your omellettes because not only do they appreciate it , they deserve it. My only warning to people is to be careful when you are at the airport leaving. We left our carry ons fairly empty-definitely under the 5kg each you are allowed and were told that our packed luggage was over. Ok no problem.-We asked if we could take some stuff out of our packed luggage and put it into our carry on. We have seen this happen with other people on occasion but did not think it was a problem. The guy flattly refused to let us do this. We tried explaining that if we put more into our carry 3 lbs between the 2 of us we would not be over on our weight.. He would not allow us. We were pretty mad because we ended up having to pay $30 for overweight. He also made us weigh our carry on which was way under and still would not budge. After our episode they were trying to charge the lady next to us $90 for overweight luggage. We have spoke to skyservice regarding this because they contract these people out and were told there have been a few complaints of the same nature. Just a warning -be careful. We really thought this was very unfair of the airport to do this and have never encountered this problem and have been through lots of other airports in our travels over the years. Anyway overall we had an amazing vacation and would definetly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — the beach,the staff and the restaurants
  • Disliked — sometimes too much bird poop on the path-never ending job for staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Catalonia Royal Bavaro
#48 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!