“A very good hotel with superb territory”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #55 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Arkhangelsk, Russia
“A very good hotel with superb territory”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The check-in is rather smooth, no problems with the room location (3 minutes from the beach and from the restaurant). The room itself was pretty dated, the cleaning was not very good especially when it comes to the bathroom. We've got the AI and the food was brilliant just like the drinks - I've been in other AI 5 star hotels and this is one of the best? A la carte restaurants are also of a very good quality. The territory itself looks like a great park, the golf course is very beautiful. But the greatest thing about the place is THE BEACH. It's simply breathtaking, I've never saw such beautiful beaches! Give the staff a ton of credit for this. The pool was nice but rather cold for me. The entertainment staff did a great job - from those sports activities to drawing lessons everything was superb and not annoying. As for the bad things there were only one. When it was raining the water came down from the ceiling directly on my bed. But that happened only once when the rain was heavy. Overall the hotel is superb, especially when it goes to the territory, but in need of some renovation when it comes to the rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure to know about your recently stay in Catalonia Bávaro Resort. Thank you very much for your comments. We were pleased providing you an excellent service and to know that you liked it, makes us even happier.

Receive warm regards from all our staff.

We hope to see you back for your next vacations!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Prior reviews had me scared to death. No worries. The property is beautiful, staff is great, beach is fabulous. I have nothing negative to say at all. I can't even imagine those negative statements. The food was delicious, no bed bugs, no flies. What a perfect spot. I will go back for sure. We were there - (adults) 6 days and five nights from 10/26/13 - 10/31/13. Relaxing and fun. Room was spacious, very clean, fridge was stocked with drinks, plenty of outlets in room.

Room Tip: We did not request anything special. They placed us 1/2 way between the beach and the main area. It...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us and the rest of the T.A reviewers such an enthusiastic review! Thank you for giving us an opportunity.

We are overjoyed knowing that you and the people who traveled with you, have fully enjoyed our beautiful resort. Our staff work hard to provide our guest a satisfying service and maintain our amazing surroundings.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards!!
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed 22nd Oct til 5th Nov. Our first experience of All inclusive so I cannot compare to other hotels. Travelled as a family with kids aged 17 15 and 11. Originally going to Riu Merengue but after awful reviews on here swapped to Catalonia and we are so pleased we did. WE could not fault the holiday and after reading some of the reviews we concerned but honestly, this hotel is great, the rooms spacious, no problem with a/c in either of our rooms, ground floor overlooking the scenery, fridge stocked daily and always able to get extra water/cola when needed, the safe has a cde system so no need to carry keys. I have said Hola a thousand times to the wonderful smiling staff who cannot do enough to help a huge shout out to Giselle and Raphel at the pool bar for making our cocktails for the past 2 weeks, Mojitos all the way!!! Sereviana in the restaurant for looking after us too and Ramona our cleaner who had to tidy after my 3 kids for the past 2 weeks.

The food was good, there are pleanty of restaurants and plenty of choice in all of them, I got sick for 2 days, I was the only one in our family to have any problems and totally believe it had nothing to do with the hotel food as I witnessed hygiene of the highest standards, chefs with gloved hands handling food, sides being wiped, anti bac gel for everyone to use. I got unlucky but NO Way would I let that stop the fun!!

The pool area great, huge, never had to worry about finding a bed. Swim up bar lively and entertainment on all day but you are never bothered by it. WE are not great mixers and didnt ever feel pressured to join in.

Beach STUNNING, the staff work around the clock to keep the whole area clean. WE got bitten by sandflies and boy do they itch but again, dont let it spoil the fun, Lanacane cream worked wonders on them!! Avon Skin so Soft and repellant worked fine oh and taking Vit B1, no mosquitto bites at all but we were very strict with repellant day and night.

Beds comfy, true pillows not but we were so tired every day after snorkelling, kayaking, eating loads!! Going for walks and drinking our way thru the cocktail list that we all slept like logs every night!!

One tip if you are coming with Thomsons, Domingo the rep is awsome HOWEVER the trips are twice as expensive, there are a lot of local trip sellers in the hotel who are lovely fun and vcan be haggled down on price so we were able to do LOADS of trips and get to see what a beautiful country it is. We did Zipwire with Canopy adventure, Seaquaruim, Dune buggies,Santa Domingo (Not the best tour) and the best day of the holiday was with Punta Cana Mike, look him up on here and book for the most amazing day, he will take you to parts of the country you will not see with Thomsons.

Can you guess we had a great time.......can't wait to go back

Room Tip: we were in 2406/2407 overlooked beautiful gardens 5 mis from beach and restaurants
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Moomin1707
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the favorable review you gave to Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

We are very pleased that your family, really have enjoyed your stay with us. We have certainly enjoyed reading your review.

On behalf of all the staff, specially: Giselle, Raphel, Sereviana and Ramona, we would like to thank you for your kindest comments.

We look forward to welcoming you and you family again, to pamper you as you deserve!!
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Upon arrival we recieved drinks and baggage taken to our rooms while we were checked in. The rooms were clean and more than adequate with plenty of electricity outlets. Everything was catered for AND I MEAN EVERYTHING. Domingo the Thompson rep was A-Maze-Ing. He made the holiday fantastic. If you are travelling with Thompson make sure you touch base with him at reception, he is a gem and will give you excellent advice and information. You will not find a better rep on any holiday *fact*. The resort was spotless as were the rooms (leave a small tip for the maid and she will spend a great time in your room) from friday to sunday the domincans sort of invade the resort for the weekend but they are so friendly and liven the place for a couple of days. There are plenty of thing to keep you busy. Like the archery and vollyball etc. Nothing too strainuous. The beach is also ultra clean and the staff remove any weed that makes its way to shore. The beach is lush by the way! There are daily pool exercises arranged by the staff.
Downers: the beer (Presidente)gave me and my father the gallops. A tip was expected "american style" ie for everything from getting served at the bar to beyond. Which is rather annoying for Brits when you dont at any other all inclusive around the med or europe. It was inpossible too get served at the bar in the evening without a doller bill tip in your hand.
But all in all the holiday at he catalonia bavaro was awesome. Although it would not have been so good without Domingo from Thompsons.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

We certainly enjoyed reading your review and would like to thank you for your kind words.

As a company that prides itself on customer satisfaction, we appreciate knowing that we met your expectations. Your comments are the best way to improve our service.

We will be delighted if you give us another chance by counting again with your presence in our Catalonia Hotels, so that we may prove that 100% Guest satisfaction, is our main goal.

Receive warm regards from all our staff.
Chicago
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I went with a group and we all changed our rooms at least once. Our room had mold and my husband sneezed all night. Also, since there were no electrical outlets next to the bed, he could not use his CPAP machine. We asked for an extension cord, but the request was taken seriously. The next day he told them he would pay for the cord if they would take him to the store. They eventually found us a cord and moved us to another room.

The second room did not smell of mold but later in the evening we found little ant like bugs in the sink and on the counter. We used our Off to kill the bugs. The Off kept the bugs away. We think they came in through the gaps around the faucet. There were several large gaps in the grout around the shower faucet and shower. The tub was worn and the faucets had rust all over them. The resort also needs to improve the lighting on the grounds and in the rooms.

Also, the resort did not do a good job of telling guest what was planned for the day. They could use a resort channel with daily events, important numbers, and hotel extras posted and updated when events are cancelled due to weather.

We went on the Boggy excursion and booked it through Wilson Santos who was very nice. We really enjoyed the adventure. When the travel agent representive, Felipe, found out we booked through Tour Pointe, he became very upset and stated tried to scare us into thinking the excursion would not be good and that he could not ensure our safety. Well, he insisted I get my money back and book with Funtrips. Tour Point has a booth on the property by the pools and appear to be a legitimate business. There brochures can be found in the front lobby with other literature. I thought the Funtrips representative was inappropriate to imply we would have a terrible time. We understand they are competiting for business, but they shoul not be allowed to use scare tactics. All of the guest are there to have good time, maybe Funtrips could have found another excursion for us that Tour Pointe did not offer.

Finally, the food was less than desirable. If you go, eat at the dining hall at the edge of the beach. The pool and beach were nice. Overall the staff was pleasant. Anna is the resorts gold mine. Go to anything she leading! She is so friendly and helps guest meet and interact. Anna you are the best!

The grounds are beautiful but it is time for them to reinvest and upgrade the property.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor to avoid moldy rooms.
1 Thank LatteMix
Dear guest,
First of all thank you for the time you spent in providing us your comments of your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

We would like to express our apologies to the problems encountered during your stay.
We ask you to excuse us, as this is not typical of our hotel and we assure you that our intention is that problems like these do not happen again, if we are given the opportunity to have you as our guests again.

We remain at your disposal
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Me and my boyfriend went to this hotel and it was amazing!!!! the weather was brilliant we got a great tan, the food was really good so much to choose from!! would 100% recommend the Rodeo restraunt but I wouldnt recommended the Mexican one at all!! There was plently of drinks but the vodka is not nice at all, the cocktails are really good and the staff is always happy and so friendly.

The entertainment staff are fantastic!! we always had such a great laugh with them, Spaghetti, Condorito, Ana, Fernando, Fermin and Pluma are awesome, they always had a smile on their faces no matter what and they work such long hours but they are always sooo full of energy and they are brilliant with all the crowds and the children.

Would definitely recommend and would love to go there again 100%

Room Tip: I would say to upgrade to the Privileged rooms, they are juch better quality plus you get a lot of e...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

We are very pleased to read your appraisal of our services and facilities, and our team will be equally pleased to hear of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs, specially the animation department and some of their staff:Spaghetti, Condorito, Ana, Fernando, Fermin and Pluma.

It is an honor for us to be part of your vacation, we are overjoyed knowing that you and your boyfriend, fully enjoyed our beautiful resort.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

Warmest Regards.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I went with my sister and her boyfriend - we had a GREAT TIME! We chose this resort becuase it was one of the cheaper ones but still looked nice. We wanted to relax, enjoy some hot weather, and have fun... without breaking the wallet. We did just that!

Some of these reviews make me laugh. If you are going to the Dominican Republic, expect it to be HOT, expect most of the venues to be open air (including the airport), etc. Also, the employees cater to a number of different languages. I admit the front desk probably knew the least amount of English, but definitely nothing insurmountable! One of the things we actually really liked about this resort was that there were only a few other American's during our week there. More arrived towards the end of the week, but we loved getting to know people from all over, including all the wonderful Dominican's working there. We adored the entertainment staff. I specifically want to mention Spaghetti and Anna! Wonderful.

I really enjoyed all the food. There are 2 Buffets, the one has sooo many options that if you can't find something, then you are REALLY picky. There is a section by the pool that basically has pizza, french fries, hot dogs, nachos, and a few other finger foods all day long. There are 4 specialty restaurants, 2 open each night. You should definitely eat at them, you don't need reservations, and we really enjoyed the food at the Japanese hibachi, Italian, and Steakhouse. We weren't as keen on the Mexican restaurant. If you complain about the food on here, and didn't even eat at one of these restaurants, then that's your fault, in my opinion. I will note that I am not a picky eater... my sister is more so, and she found plenty to eat and loved the specialty restaurants as well.

We only went on one excursion, it was fun and it was enough for us. We stayed Sat-Sat, mostly just enjoyed relaxing at the pool during the day, participating in some of the activities with the entertainment group each day.

Our room was fine, it was air conditioned and clean. I do agree with someone on here about the pillows... they are lumpy. So if that's a big deal for you, I'd suggest brining one. My sister and her boyfriend had to get bug spray becuase they were getting bitten (in the room and outside)... but I didn't get bit once. The bugs liked them better I guess. Once they got bug spray they were fine. I really liked the hammock on the porch too. The minifridge doesn't have much in it... you just call and tell them exactly what you want (number of sodas, beers, etc) and they bring it. There are bars everywhere, so this wasn't a biggie for us.

There is one night when there are vendors set up. You can keep walking and stay away if you are uninterested... or you can take a look and haggle with them. They do have some nice things. If it bothers you, stay away from it... only one night (Friday I think).

All in all, we had a fantastic trip! I would definitely go back. If you are looking for uppity, high scale, fancy, then this probably isn't for you... pay more and go to a more expensive resort. If you are looking for fun, relaxation, and a good value, then it's great. Note - we did not upgrade either... had a great vacation.

4 Thank mgd127psu
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay with us.

It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Hotel. We are very happy to know that you, your sister and her boyfriend, have enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided from all our staff.

We have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, our team is always ready to go the extra mile; and it becomes a reward for us every time we read the wonderful reviews.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards.
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!