Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
US$210
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$433
US$325
Melia.com
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$146
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$391
US$293
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$340
US$293
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$315
US$261
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$305
Orbitz.com
US$960
US$762
US$763
US$1,198
TripAdvisor
11,409 results
All reviewsprivileged sectionyucahammock on the balconymain buffetrodeo steakhousea la carte restaurantspool barjapanese restaurantroyal sidepalm treesanimation teamdominican republichot dogsnachosjunior suitegrounds are beautifullot of seaweed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent 8 days at this resort. This was our third time , we really enjoy it .The place is really clean , the staff is extra friendly , the food is great. grounds are kept extremely well , we had a great trip.

Room Tip: choose a room not on ground level
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 222rosalie
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear 222rosalie:

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

As a regular guest to the hotel, it is always very positive to once again hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the resort, and I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff.

We look forward to taking care of you once again very soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was my 12th all inclusive (all have been in Cuba and the Dominican between 3.5 and 5 stars) and this was my favourite resort yet.

We travelled with Air Transat and both of the reps were extremely helpful to us and all of the 35+ travellers in our group, including helping us organize a large group catamaran tour at a discounted rate.

TAKE THE UPGRADE - BUT AFTER YOU GET THERE!

One thing I think that is of value to help describe in this review is the multiple levels of accommodation available to book here. There is the regular package at Catalonia Bavaro, and upgrade to "Priveledged" at Catalonia Bavaro, and another upgrade alternative to Royal Catalonia which is a separate resort that is adjacent to Catalonia Bavaro.

When you go to the check-in desk there is a sign that shows the upgrade cost to the privileged at $25 per night. This gives you certain perks like a bit of a nicer room, access to the privileged section of the beach which is sectioned off from the regular area and has easier access to cots and some nice covered beach beds there as well. Our friends who had this upgrade enjoyed it but I don't remember anyone ever using that section of the beach since we were usually together in groups on the main beach or at the main pool.

My girlfriend and I started out with the regular package at Catalonia Bavaro and were very happy with everything; the room, the service, buffets, a la carts, drinks, pools, etc. We would have had no problem staying with this set-up for the rest of the week but we caught wind of a great deal that was too good to pass up. Another friend on our same who booked with a regular package was offered an upgrade to Royal Catalonia for $10 pp/night. I thought this couldn't be possible since just upgrading to priveledged was $25 per night, and because before we left I checked with my travel agent about how much it would cost to upgrade to Royal and she quoted me somewhere around an extra $750.

So we went over to check out the Royal grounds and restaurants and it is honestly a significant upgrade to the Catalonia Bavaro packages so we decided to do half of our trip at Catalonia Bavaro and get the $10pp/night upgrade for the last 3 nights to enjoy Royal Catalonia.

When I went to the "Guest Services" desk to ask how much it cost to upgrade to Royal Catalonia the lady told me it was $30pp/night, I asked about how my friend got it for $10pp/night just a few days earlier and she said sometimes there are offers on (I assume this offer is available whenever Royal isn't full). I asked her if the offer was still on and she said no. I then walked 3 feet over to the "Check In" desk and asked the attendant if the offer was available and he said yes. All I had to do was go back to my room and pack up, call him at 2:30, and sure enough a bell boy showed up, took everything over with no hassle, and we got checked into a much nicer room right away. We couldn't believe how easy it was, and it cost me $60 in total. Had I have known I would have gotten this the first day there and paid $140 for the whole trip for the upgrade compared to the $750 or so I was quoted by the travel agent before leaving.

At Royal Catalonia there are 2 pools with high end plushy loungers/beds, 4 restaurants, a piano bar, a beach/pool bar, an entirely separate beach, and the big kicker for some...no kids. The music at the pool/beach is relaxing and not the usual upbeat reggaeton party music so if you are looking to have a place to escape to relax, unwind, and read without hearing many distractions, this would be a good upgrade for you.

I want to say again that we had no problem at all with Catalonia Bavaro, but the big thing we loved the most about the upgrade to Royal was the step up in the food offerings and quality. Another bonus is if you are in Royal, you also have access to all of Catalonia Bavaro including all of the restaurants, pools, beach and all the perks of "privileged" as well.

All of the staff were excellent, super friendly and helpful with the exception of one dealer in the casino who was very cranky, couldn't get a smile out of her if you tried (maybe just having a bad couple of days), but others were great including the men working the pit.

EXCURSIONS

5 of us did deep-sea fishing at about $120 a head. We didn't catch a single thing and 4/5 of us got sea-sick. The water was extremely rough, about 10-15 foot swells.

Our catamaran trip was excellent. This one stayed mostly along the coastline of the main beach with a stop for snorkeling and a stop on the beach for coco-loco drinks. This wasn't the package that goes out into the caribbean sea but it was a lot of fun and the staff were great.

USE YOUR SAFE

On a big downside, one of our friends staying on the Royal side had 2 iPhones, an iPod, and 2 pairs of sunglasses stolen out of his room while he wasn't there. Every room has a free digital safe that you set the code for so use it because you never know. That was the only report of anything like that out of the 35+ people on the trip and I'm sure it'd bound to happen now and then everywhere but you can't be too cautious, no leaving expensive things laying around.

POWER OUTLETS & WIFI

Both of our rooms in Catalonia Bavaro and Royal Catalonia had standard American style outlets so we didn't need to use our adapter. Wifi in the front lobby is very strong, and just as strong on the Royal beach and lobby, but is spotty in a lot of the rooms depending on how far from the signal tower you are.

BUY YOUR GOODS BEFORE YOU GET TO THE AIRPORT TO LEAVE

Although things on the resort are marked up a bit compared to off-resort, I bought a bottle of rum to take home at the resort that was $12, and the exact same bottle was $24 at the airport. Coffee was also more expensive to buy at the airport, so do your shopping before getting there, you wont save at duty-free.

This place is awesome, enjoy your trip!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Catalonia!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank schparrow

Dear Schparrow:

Thank you for such a great review about both of our hotel Catalonia Bávaro and Catalonia Royal.

The US$10 upgrade to Catalonia Royal is part of internal offers we make to our valuable guests depending on the season. Sometimes upgrading to the Privileged section or to Royal side is going to depend if our guests will like to enjoy more a family oriented resort. I'm glad to know that you made this upgrade and enjoyed your stay at both of the resorts.

Once again, thank you for your great comment and for recommending both of our resorts.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I spent 9 incredible days! The perfect honey moon! Beautiful hotel, the beach! The staff is excellent! Everything was perfect..loved it. Cant wait for our next vacations. Surely ain a catalonia resort!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank martulandia
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Martulandia:

First of all, congratulation on your honeymoon!! Thank you for choosing us to celebrate it!

I m glad to know that you and your husband enjoyed your time with us. We hope to be your choice for your next vacations,

Best Regards.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Couple of Pros and Cons...

Pro restaurant are great, service in restaurants are great.
Beach is great.
Bathrooms public very clean.
Grounds are kept very well.
Good Value, however not a 5 star, i would go 4 star. Reasons below.

Cons
Air conditioner in both rooms would not go below 25 C.
service in buffet poor, this is because way under staffed.
Lounge chairs, about 20 percent short of what is needed for the resort, which means u have to get up at 6 to book a chair. This is not right.
Rooms dated, badly.

Russians are rude....and pushy..

Get this a woman had her daughter about 4 potty training in the restaurant then after all that takes what she did and dumps in the the little lake beside the restaurant. which has fish and other wild life in it.

Room Tip: Privileged not worth it
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dave K

Dear Dave K:

Thank you for your review about your recent holiday experience.

I would like to thank you for your comments about our restaurants, beach and great service.

I will like to apologize for the shortfalls during your stay. The comments of our valuable guest are the best way to improve our facilities and services.

We do hope you give us another chance, and come back to Catalonia Bavaro to pamper you as you deserve,

Greetings from Punta Cana.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just returned from our god daughter wedding with a group of 37 with ages 3 to 65 this was out 3rd trip to Punta Cana and our 5th all inclusive but our first not at a adults only resort. The resort was great we had the best time the grounds are beautiful the beach is so nice. The rooms are nice lots of room lots of hot water. We ate at 3 of the 4 Al la carts the Japanese ,steak house and Italian were all very good but the Japanese was so much fun a must do. The snack bar was great for lunch with burgers,hotdogs,chicken,nachos and great brick oven pizza. For the beach you do have to get up early to get a chair by 7:00am most of them are gone. The wedding went without a hitch Evelyn the wedding planner did a great job and everything was beautiful. The resort in bigger than we are used to but we found it easy to get around I would say its a great place for family vacation

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank capersinthesum

Dear Capersinthesum:

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Catalonia Bavaro.

It is always a pleasure to be part of special occasions. I'm happy to know that everything went great in your goddaughter's wedding and that you and all the group enjoyed our facilities and great restaurants.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon at our hotel!

Best Regards.