“Had it's ups and downs.. Not what I expected.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #58 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
St. John's, Canada
“Had it's ups and downs.. Not what I expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We arrived around 3, check out time is 11:30, we had to wait 10 mins for our room to be ready.. This actually took an hour.
The scenery and resort is very beautiful. You will see flamingos, other birds and fish in the scenery pools, an iguana dome and many other beautiful sights.
Our room was average but we encountered some discrepancies.
When we got there we noticed the sink faucet was broke but we wrote a note and the next day it was fixed.
The evening of day 2 we noticed that the ceiling over the jacuzzi was sunk and when we pushed up on it water came pouring down.
I went to guest services stating how disappointed I was with my room and that I would like it fixed. I was told that someone would be by to fix it in 30 mins. After calling many times, 2 days later someone finally showed to fix it but it was never fully fixed.
I felt as though the managers did not care about your happiness and every issue was no big deal in their eyes.
We locked out of our room 4 times and had to walk all the ways to the lobby to get a new key card.
The night of day 4 there was a note slipped under our door offering us to stay at a different luxury resort for free for 2 nights. We didn't bother to go it seemed too good to be true.
The performers were great and very friendly.
The snack bar and pizza place was great.
The pool was very clean up until day 6 and it was filthy, bugs, tree branches and leaves filled the pool.
The security on the beach .. There was none. There are no signs or notices telling the guests not to go to the beach during the night, but if you decide you want to I would not recommend it.
A couple from the same area as us went to the beach after getting locked out of their room to lounge on the beach and encountered a very scary experience involving a local.
When reporting this to guest services they asked the couple why the "boy" didn't fight the man and that there was nothing they could do. Great response right?

Overall we enjoyed ourselves but we will not be going back to that resort.
Everyone's experiences are different, ours was not what we hoped for!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We enjoyed staying at Catalonia Bavaro (April 25- May 6) . Staff was great .We had a lot of fun there since day 1. Animation team was very enthusiastic and frendly. entertainment from these guys strarts in the morning and is fun fun fun all day and night .Amazing.Food was very good at the buffet as there was a lot to choose from. The beach is very beautiful . Lovely place

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NickTodorov
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear NickTodorov:

Thank you for posting about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed our gastronomic offer, the turquoise water of our beach and the great service from our staff, especially from the Animation Team.

Once again, thank you for the great review. We are looking forward to seeing you soon!!

Best Regards.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I got married at the Catalonia Bavaro in April, 2014. I am appalled at the lack of organization that the hotel and wedding coordinators had. Mine, and my guests overall stay and wedding was ruined due to the terrible events. Below is a list outlining why I would recommend no one gets married at this resort!

1. Our wedding coordinator asked us to meet in her office at 10:00am the morning of the wedding to hand over the documentation in order for our wedding to be legal. She was not there. We tried to find her approximately 5-7 times that morning, while rushing around to get ready. No one informed me that she was not at the resort until I had to go and find someone to speak to 30 minutes BEFORE the ceremony. At which point still having the documentation in hand. I found out at 3:00pm that she was NOT at the resort and someone else was stepping in to take her place. My wedding was to be at 3:30, so you can understand the amount of stress that I was under.
2. I had to hunt down my own flowers. I was told they would be delivered to my room, THEY WERE NOT! 30 minutes before the ceremony, while on the hunt for my wedding coordinator, I was also on a hunt for my bridal bouquet. Finally someone in the lobby handed them to me, wilted and turning black.
3. My husband was told that a car will be coming to pick him up from his room at a specific time. They NEVER arrived. He had to flag his own car down to drive him to the alter.
4. My guests were asked to arrive 30 minutes before the ceremony to take a seat and wait for the groom and eventually, me the bride. Due to the lack of coordination, the seats were not set up yet. They were forced to stand on the sidewalk, in the hot sun for 20 minutes until someone came to set up the chairs shortly before the ceremony was to start.
5. I specifically asked there NOT to be lily's in my bouquet or in any arrangement due to the fact that they remind me of my mothers funeral. Not an occasion that I would like to remember on what is supposed to be the happiest day of my life. Of course, there were LILY's on the head table. My maid of honour almost cried for me b/c she saw the pain in my eyes.
6. Because my wedding coordinator was not at the resort during my wedding, like she said she would. They made a young woman, who clearly had no idea what she was doing translate the ceremony from Spanish to English. She stumbled on her words several times and made several mistakes. Luckily one of my guests spoke Spanish and was able to point this out to me.
7. We were told dinner would be served at 7:00pm. It was not served till 8:30pm. This left my guests sitting around, wondering what on earth is going on and STARVING! Also, the table was not set up properly when we arrived for dinner. So they had to Add tables, chairs and one extra place setting, which was a huge commotion, and very unpleasant for my guests to go through. My wedding coordinator FINALLY arrived at 7:30pm, unapologetic to her absence but assured me that everything was fine... NOTHING was fine! Then she proceed to argue with me that I missed someone in my count of guests. Regardless if I made a mistake in counting the number of people attending my wedding. Do not argue with me and my husband but accommodate me and set one extra plate! My husband and I both worked as chefs in Toronto, and this dinner service was unacceptable! We paid extra to have a private dinner and I would have hoped that the dinner would have been better.

I planned a destination wedding because I was hoping for a stress-free wedding, this was by no means stress-free! The heart break, disappointment, and embarrassment I had to go through on what was supposed to be the happiest day of my life was out of this world. I hope this review I wrote will help other brides make a decision on where to have their special day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Julija S
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Overall, I must admit the resort is great. From the variety of food, to the entertainment to the rooms and more. The beach I must say is one of the nicest if not the nicest I have been on in my travel over the last 9 years. The entertainment staff work really hard to keep us all entertained with plenty of games and competitions to enter throughout the day. Highly recommend this place if your looking for a nice vacation, great for big groups. We had one bad experience and that was in the italian restuarant our first night there. The service for some reason was horrible that day. Best restuarant in my opinion was the Japanese, we went twice during the week. But the buffett itself was pretty solid, lots of different variety of food, something there for everyone. It's really hard to complain when your down south, you shouldn't be disappointed with this place. Great if you have kids as well.

Room Tip: We had one of the Junior Suites (basic room) - it was a great room, the only issue was with our show...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Neil K
Dear Neil K:

Thank you for such a great comment about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

We really had a great time taking care of you during your stay with us, and we are very happy that you loved our beautiful beach. Thank you for your comments about the good job that our Animation team did during your stay.

I will like to personally apologize for the shortfall in the service of the Italian Restaurant during your dinner. I will pass your comments to our F&B manager, in order we improve this area. Thank you for bring it to our attention.

Thank YOU for staying with us. We really appreciate your recommendation, and we hope to see you again next time you visit Punta Cana!!

Best Regards

Jersey Shore, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I had a lot of fun there , location was good , food was good , minus the Mexican and Italian !! I think rooms should b a lite bit bigger but it's not bad either. Staff was great always asking u if u need anything great service!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mpas12
Dear Mpas12:

Thank you so much for your comments. I was glad to read you enjoyed your experience at Catalonia Bávaro. I have told all of our team of your kind words.

Thank you for your comments about improving some areas like the Italian and Mexican Restaurants and our rooms. We appreciate the comments that we receive from our valuable guest.

We look forward to taking care of you once again very soon.

Best Regards,

Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We enjoyed staying at Catalonia Bavaro (April,18-May 2). We were there two times and would go again. The check in was quick, food was good and entertainment amazing. Animation team was perfect. These individuals work long hours, they are enthusiastic, energetic and very friendly. They not only entertain people, they talk and dance with them too.

Beaches are beautiful and there were plenty of activities on the beach and at the pool.

Since this resort is in a laguna area, ocean was calm and warm. Sky was bright with a full sun daily, with temperatures between 29-31 degrees Celsius.

We had a few little issues that were resolved immediately. Great service!

We arranged for a late checkout without any problems. Individuals working in the reception area are fluent in English and were very helpful.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to a pool/beach, you can ask for rooms in buildings 20 or 21. You will also...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank Marianna M
Dear Marianna M:

Thank you for posting about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

It is rewarding to know that we have loyal guest like you. As a return guest to the resort, we were pleased to read that once again you had the most enjoyable time. Thank you for your great comments about our Animation Team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Best Regards.

Moncton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Our first time in Dominican Republic and at Catalonia. Overall a very good experience and good location (not far from airport). Food was good at the buffet as there was a lot to choose from. The "a la carte's" were good also, in particular the Mexican and Japanese. The beach and pool area's were very nice but you might have to get up a little early to find a favorable spot. Drinks were good as well, bartenders were friendly. We conversed very well with all staff. Only negative was for those at the hotel who wanted you to sit down to discuss their time share options and other hotel properties. You simply have to say no if its not of interest as we were approached quite often. If ever we have the chance we would return to this location.

Room Tip: Higher floors would have less noise than ground level floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Bernice S
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Bernice S:

Thank you very much for your review, we do appreciate you taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Catalonia Bávaro and liked our facilities like our variety of food and restaurants, the beach and pool area and the service offered by our staff.

I will like to apologize if by any time you felt pressured by our Travelers Club staff, I will pass your comments to their managers.

Once again thank you for your review and for recommending us!

Have a great day.

VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#78 of 110 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!