“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 bubbles

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #58 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Miami
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful, although a little dated, the majority of the staff is friendly and the rooms are ok. The drinks are good but the food is poor; the flavor and quality of the ingredients can improve a lot. Be prepared to walk a lot, since the beach and rooms are really far from reception, lobby bar and restaurants. Overall had a good experience, especially for the money paid, but wouldn't go back, unless they seriously update their food.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank C22Miami
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear C22Miami:

Thank you very much for your review, we do appreciate you taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay with us.

Thank you for highlighting the beauty of our hotel. We truly appreciate your comments about improving some areas like our food and beverage offer. We are working on improving these points in order we can achieve great comments about them.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you can give us another chance to improve your experience with us.

Best Regards,

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My room # 1801 nice clean suite :) horrible lobster night for 3pax 200usd over cook lobster , left over broccoli from lunch time buffet hot champagne Moet & Chandon :( if your complaint the frond desk and operator send you security officier like ur are criminal if you want have nice lobster night go to jellyfish very nice lobster for only 24usd :)

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Thomas M:

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us.

I will like to apologize for the inconvenience with your lobster dinner and for falling short of your expectations.

The staff at Catalonia Bávaro Resort will take into consideration all of your constructive comments. We hope that we will be honored with your visit to show you our improvements.

Warmest Regards,

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I just want to start off by saying that while this was my first trip to the Dominican, my family and I spend two weeks in the Caribbean every year, so I figure I can give a pretty decent review of this place relative to others.

First of all, this is a family/couples resort. There is both plenty of space around the pool and the beach for all, but getting a good palapa (or spot) usually involves getting up around 730-8.

Second, the beach is absolutely gorgeous. Occasionally, the high tide did bring in some sort of grasses/ weeds to shore, but this was either cleaned off quickly by the crews the morning or by the afternoon. Honestly, even though the beach is not as expansive or long as other places I've visited, I'd still give it a 9/10.

Third, the energy of the hotel itself is good. There is always some activity going on, which is great for those that love to be active. On the other hand, those that simply want to read, relax, and sip drinks can also find some quiet spaces to do the same. Moreover, the animation team is great. Lots of energy. ALthough I personally didn't go to too many shows, they were entertaining enough and the seats every night were packed.

Fourth: food. Admittedly, the food wasn't what my family and I were used to while on vacation. The breakfast and lunch buffets were sufficient and delicious, but they weren't next level which we're used to. For example, they would have only veggie sushi rolls for lunch, but no california, sashimi, or smoked salmon. However, given that their A La Carte restaurants (especially the Italian and Steakhouse) were great, we found this to be a negligible downside of the hotel. I just want to say thanks to Karina, Eduardo, and my man Mindole at the Italian, you made our nights both memorable and the service was awesome!!! (Also, freddi at the american steakhouse!!)

Here is the biggest issue we had with the hotel...Service, service, service. Simply put, sometimes the waiting / bar staff (with the exception of the bars on the beach) didn't look like they wanted to be there at all, and that affects your own state of mind. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to be thinking about their problems or any at all. I simply would like to relax and enjoy myself. Moreover, during breakfast or lunch buffets, my family found ourselves repeatedly asking (and waiting) for simple orders (i.e. a glass of water, an extra set of forks and knives). However, I must stress that service in the a la carte restaurants is noticeably better (albeit there is room for improvement). If you go several times, I'd recommend giving them a tip. We found that the waiters would recognize us around the hotel and noticeably improve their service.

A second personal issue was their gym. It was very small and had only one treadmill working at one point. Rudy was a great help with giving people around me workout advice, so I'll call it square with the gym. I still managed to get my workouts finished, but there can only be so many people in there. Nevertheless, with two tennis courts, a basketball court, and a golf course, there's plenty of space for activities.

I'd like to conclude on a positive note, so I have to admit that the grounds of the hotel are absolutely lovely with several ponds, groves, and places to sit and just relax.

On a whole I'd rate my experience an 8/10.

Pros:
- Lovely beach
- Great grounds
- Hotel rooms all had hammocks and wifi
- Good a la carte restaurants

Cons
- Service, service, service
- Small gym
- Decent (albeit) non-impressive breakfast and lunch spreads

Room Tip: We asked for a free upgrade to a junior suite, which they acquiesced to. We got a direct view of the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank milzwick
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Milzwick:

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Catalonia Bávaro on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to read that you and your family chose us as your destination for your first time in the Caribbean.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the facilities at the property.

Thank you for your comments regarding some areas of opportunities at our resort like the service, our gym and the variety of our food, At Catalonia we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the way we can improve our service and knows better your preferences.

We will be glad to welcome you back soon.

Warmest Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Overall, very nice place. We stayed in the privileged area and all of the amenities that came with that were great - close to the beach, private area on beach, room service, access to all restaurants. Quality of food could have been better but that may just be because we are a steak and potatoes kind of family and things were a little too exotic for us.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
Dear Ktfoster:

Thank you for you review about about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

We are happy to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and were pleased with the service and facilities especially at the Privileged area.

Hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

You'll see when you arrive how beautiful this property is. I had a certain expectation for my room, based on the pictures shown when I booked. Instead, the room I was given had ugly, yellow, dated curtains and comforter and overall looked very dreary. I went back to the front desk and let them know that I was unhappy with the room and wanted a room that looked like what I booked on the website. They moved us the next day to a renovated room. Much better look and feel. Rooms are spacious and clean. The bathroom is huge. Big tub, very small shower - and I'm only 5'4''. On to the property. Absolutely beautiful!! The pool is inviting and huge. We always found a spot by the pool. The beach is stunning. We also always found chairs on the beach. Picture perfect and very relaxing. Here was the biggest let down for me: they do not have runners/waiters taking your order and bringing you drinks to your chair. You have to get up from your lounge chair, walk to the pool bar (the nearest 4 -5 min walk) and order 2 drinks per person and bring back to your lounge chair. By the time you finish your first drink, the second one is melted and hot. Just an inconvenience really. For this reason alone, I wouldn't return to this hotel. When you pay for all inclusive, you really want to be pampered, so this was something I expected, based on previous experience, and was surprised when they didn't offer this service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Christina S
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Christina S:

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience in our Hotel with our future guests.

I'm glad to know that we were able to solve the problem with your room, and that you really liked your new location. Thank you for your great comments about our pool and the beach.

Regarding the waiter in the beach, this is a benefit that we offer as part of our Privileged package.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to pamper you as you deserve.

Kind Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've traveled to this hotel with group of friends. We've stayed for 14 days. What did we like: nice beach, on-site diving center, little or no hassling on the beach from vendors (beaches in DR are public), strong cocktails they certainly don't skimp on alcohol, restaurant food is OK, animation team and service teams work hard to make your stay memorable,printer station (1$ per page).

What needs more attention: Rooms are outdated, some rooms air conditioning works poorly or is very loud, WiFi in rooms doesn't work 80% of the time (sit near gym area for good internet access), hotel is far from other attractions/shops and you need to spend minimum 30$ on taxi (non-negotiable, also no free shuttle to shopping centers) few shops near the hotel but exorbitant prices (for example sun filter: 30$).

Overall strong 3.5 star and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If your wake up easily because of noise avoid rooms near the outdoor theater. There is show every ni...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Geronimo77_11
Dear Geronimo 77 11:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us and for recommending Catalonia Bávaro to the TripAdvisor community. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed our beach, the cocktails and the service received from our staff.

Regarding the shops outside of the hotel; in Catalonia we offer to our guests a wide variety of shops, including boutiques, children store, mini market, drugstore and some more, in order our guests can fully enjoy their stay and find everything they need without needing to go outside of the property.

We will be sending your recommendations to all the departments involved. We are focusing day after day to improve our guest's experience. It is our main objective that our guests receive nothing less than our best services.

We hope to have the pleasure to host you again at Catalonia Bávaro.

Best Regards.

Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I just returned from spending a week at the Catalonia with my 11yr old daughter and we had an amazing time!!!!

This was my 4th visit to the Catalonia and this time I decided to pay the extra money and go with the Privilege - it was so worth it!!! Now I can say this is my favourite resort in Punta Cana!!! (In the past I always loved the hotel but wasn't a fan of the actual rooms).

Our room was super clean, nice furniture and our balcony looked out on to the golf course. We also had a welcome back banner on our door and a fruit platter and bottle of rum inside which was a really nice surprise!

Tip - if you get privilege make sure you ask someone where the check in is when you arrive. You have to get driven over to the building - it's awesome because it's air conditioned, you get a nice cold drink while waiting to check in, you sit in a comfy chair and the service is fast and efficient.

The beach is amazing - so clear that we could snorkel right there (feed the fish a banana and they go crazy). The lounge chairs in the Privilege section are new and very comfortable.

We loved the restaurants and had no problems getting a table when we went at 6:30pm (it was super busy after 7:30pm).

Our favourite thing at the buffet was to watch the turtles, flamingos and feed the fish while eating (you need privilege to sit in this area). It's definitely worth it! The fresh fruit, donuts, cheese, ice cream and omelets are really good! Nelson is unbelievable - one morning he was making omelets for 6 people then running to the other section and making pancakes and waffles and then running back to serve us our omelets all with a smile on his face. Very impressive - best omelet I've ever had!!

The pizza at the snack bar is so good that we actually ate lunch there almost every day - who knew that corn on pizza would taste so good lol.

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful!!! Jisselle at the swim up bar is amazing and Eduardo at breakfast is so friendly and happy. We really liked everyone - anytime we needed something it was taken care of right away (we needed help turning our fan to a lower speed as well as our ceiling started to leak 1 morning and both were fixed right away).

The music in the evening was wonderful and having the cotton candy one night for the kids was pretty cool as was the blow up slide at the pool on Saturday.

Areas for improvement - the pool was very dirty!! I'm not sure if the filters/skimmers weren't working but there was a ton of bugs etc floating all around. I personally would have been happy to walk around and skim the areas were we swimming but I couldn't find a skimmer.

Although people are not allowed to "reserve" lounges people seem to go to the pool first thing in the morning and set their stuff up on a lounge and then you don't see them there for hours. They're at the beach or doing whatever. It would be nice if there was a staff member that would tag the lounges and then if people didn't return in an hour remove their stuff. It's really not fair to others that actually want to lounge around the pool.

It would also be nice to be able to get Mimosas at breakfast every day. They have Bloody Mary's available but no champagne. It would also be nice to be able to have Champagne and White Wine available at the beach and pool bars. I find having a mimosa or a white wine spritzer really refreshing and not so sweet.

It would also be nice to have a couple of ping pong tables down by the beach so you can play during the day without having to walk up to the lobby.

Anyways we had an amazing vacation and I can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: We had privilege building 3 facing the golf course on the 3rd floor - it was perfect! Quiet, no bugs...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Sunshinej76
Dear Sunshinej76:

Thank you for your sharing your review about Catalonia Bávaro on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for upgrading to our Privileged area so could enjoy the different perks we have to offer to our guest. It is a pleasure to read from your review that once again you had enjoyed your stay with us and were pleased with the service. All your kind comments are greatly appreciated, particularly with regards to our associates and will be sure to share your comments with the team.

Thank you for your comments regarding some areas of improvements.

We appreciate your loyalty towards our property and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support.

We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,242 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Catalonia Gran Dominicus

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!