“Great experience!”

Ranked #59 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Great family place,wonderful kind and friendly people,great service food was great as well, we loved the variety of the buffet ,beautiful beach ,would for sure go back again,and recommend this place to all my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Ulis K
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Ulis K:

Thank you so much for your comments. They are very much appreciated and I was glad to read you enjoyed your experience at Catalonia Bávaro.

We look forward to taking care of you once again very soon.

Best Regards,

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (899)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I recently stayed in a privelaged room for my honeymoon. The staff is amazing, the beach is fabulous, and the grounds are very well-kept. However, the food is so bad that it literally ruined our honeymoon. Most of it is inedible, and we were both starving the entire time. The 34-hour snack bar is the worst offender. I ended up in the hospital on day three with a severe bacterial infection, which the doctor said was from the food. I also was sick from a parasite. I spent a few days recovering I the hotel room, and my husband and I ate m&ms and saltines from the guest shop. We spent $1200 at the hospital, and the hotel refused to do anything to help us--they claimed that "no one has ever gotten sick off of our food"; but we spoke to more than 5 couples on the beach that were sick as well. I'd love to return to punta Cana and have a real honeymoon, but I will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Duck233
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Duck233:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online and for choosing us as the destination for your honeymoon.

On behalf of the Catalonia Bávaro Resort staff we extend our apologies for the discomforts you faced during your stay with us.

Regarding your stomach discomfort, we will like to inform you that we adhere to the highest standards recognized and supervised by Safety and Hygiene Consultants, like the globally recognized, Crystal; which constantly audit us. As a result, we are extremely careful regarding the foods that we use and the cleanliness of our areas, therefore, we really sorry to hear that you got ill during your stay. We did not have any other report from other guests during this time. It is a personal opinion the affirmation that your illness was caused because of the food in the Resort. Guest can become ill by: Change of weather, habits, abuse of food, mixing of foods, allergies to new food products, too much sun, eating excessive fresh fruit, especially coconut (which is a natural laxative), eating food from outside of the resort (for example while on excursions), arriving ill from their own country (from the flight or a previous illness).

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the problems you experienced during your stay.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Catalonia Bávaro in the future.

Best Regards,

Maricopa, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is my first time doing a review and knowing what would have been helpful for me to sort through the plethora of information I found going through reviews, I decided to be very detailed and to categorize the review by topics, so one can quickly go the topic they are interested in. I will also start with the good and end with the areas for improvements. Hope my review is helpful!
We stayed July 26 thru August 1, 2014. We booked for July 25, but thanks to flight cancellation, we arrived a day later. We notified the hotel, through booking.com, of our delayed arrival. When we arrived, we were upgraded to Priviledge rooms, which was equivalent to VIP accomodations. So we ate in a special section in the buffet with waiters serving us beverages, had a reserved area on the beach and fruit platters delivered to room every day. There was also 24 hour room service which we never used.

THE GOOD
Overall
The rooms were nice, spacious, and clean. We had a junior suite, so we had a king bed, and a living area. Wicker furniture was in good shape. Toilet and shower were in a separate small room, while the bathroom had a nice size Jacuzzi style tub. The tile around the tub, the faucet had been patched putty.

Staff
They were extremely courteous, very friendly, always greeting each guest with a smile. Most are native Spanish speakers, but there were some native French speakers as well. They also love when you speak Spanish or make an effort. I think it makes them feel good that you are trying and for that, they go out of their way to please you. Both my daughter and I speak Spanish, not fluently, but enough to be understood and to understand them. They took time out to correct and fill in the blanks for us, which was great, as we are always seeking opportunities to practice our Spanish.

Restaurants
There are 4 speciality ones I believe.. Japanese, Italian, Steakhouse and Mexican. We ate at all but the Mexican and enjoyed our dining experiences. Do note that the Japanese only has 4 TABLES/ROOMS with each seating 15. So there is always a wait and they are usually .booked by 8 pm.. They do not take reservations in advance (day before). They are open at 6 pm each night so you can go at 6 pm and reserve your spot for a time later that night. So we finally got in on our last night there. We went straight from the pool at 5:50 and at 6pm when the hostess appeared, set our names down for 7:30. It was definitely worth the hassle to get in... Which by the way, was our 3rd try...

Landscape
Beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous, and well kept! Loved loved loved it!! Lush, colorful tropical foliage... Can we say paradise! We didn't play golf but passed the golf course everyday and oh my word, what a beautiful stunning sight of green, well manicured grass!!
Everyday at the crack of dawn, the workers are diligently working on the grounds.. Mowing the lawn, getting rid of dead shrubs, planting new flowers, trimming plants, weeding, cleaning the ponds around the dining hall and restaurants. They do a phenomenal job in the upkeep of the grounds!!

Wireless
For sure there is wireless all over... However, do not expect to get on everywhere, and if by chance you do get on, don't expect to be able to do any kind of social media activity, as you will spend hours trying to upload a pic, let alone comment on a post on FB! The best wireless connectivity is on the beach, near the massage tent. Here you will be zooming on FB and Instagram! So yes, we spent our mornings here so we could use the wireless and saved the rest of the day for non wireless involved activities...
Entertainment
The entertainment staff was the absolute best! The folks worked round the clock, starting at 9:30 am through midnight, to ensure tons of fun activities for the guests to partake in, and to have a blast! In the mornings, the activities were on the beach. Activities such as beach volleyball, beach aerobics and dance classes. In the afternoons around 4 pm, the activities were at the pool.. Dance lessons ( merengue, salsa, bachata), water polo, pool kayaking, pool volleyball, crazy pool games, swimming competition, bowling and Zumba. Pretty obvious where I spent my afternoons... Haha.. At nights, around 9 pm, the entertainment is at the Barcelona theatre... Michael Jackson show (Wednesdays), International night (Thursdays), fun games for couples to partake in... Between when the activities in the theatre is over and when the disco starts, there is usually live singing and dancing in front of the theatre...11pm, the Disco is open for dancing...for all these activities and even in the disco, you can find the entertainment crew, engaging with the guests, in one form or the other... I especially love when they are your dance partners... A round of applause for Leonel, La Pluma, Fernando ( the best DJ and MC!)..!

THE BAD
Electrical Outlets
There were only two electrical outlets and both were in the bathroom. There was the standard 110v, and a 220V, that you would need a converter for. Since we did not bring a converter, we were down to one outlet and 4 electronic devices to charge. The outlets also only worked if the lighters were ON. We found out the first night when we got up and the cell phone wasn't charged. We ended in sleeping with the bathroom light on every night, and whenever we got up for a bathroom trip, we would switch to another electronic device to charge. This was a bit of an inconvenience and wished we would have known that upfront, so we could plan accordingly.

No show Fee

We checked in Saturday (a full day later than our booking due to airline cancellation), but we had kept them informed as to our delayed status. On Monday, I got an email from booking.com, charging me $164, as the hotel reported that I was a no show! I replied that I was very much checked in, even upgraded to Priviledge! I even provided my room number. They apologized and said they would confirm with the property. As I type, I am reminded to check for the reversal of this charge.

BUFFET
Absolutely horrible! Same nasty food every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner! No variety! We skipped dinner two nights as we werent in the mood to wait to be seated at a specialty restaurant and we certainly didn't want any more nasty, cold or undercooked buffet food!! Menu times were mostly American which not for the life of me can I fathom why I would vacation on an island to eat American food I left at home! The only Dominican food I can honestly say I saw, was fried plantains.. We are there to experience the culture which includes the food! Engulf us in your culture, dine us with Dominican cuisine! Most times the food was cold, and I am pretty sure it's because there was no warming agents being used ( that is no one replenished the hot water the serving containers sit in). The scrambled eggs would still have chunks of unmelted cheese in it! I saw lamb one afternoon and got excited. I couldn't even cut it with the knife. As for chewing, I swear I was chewing leather... Did they forget to cook it?? I normally eat healthy, tons of vegetables and fruits but not once did I see anything I could make a salad with (spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers), these things did not exist in the buffet... There were fruits yes, but most times, they weren't even ripe so shouldn't even be served for folks to eat. I love mangoes , being from another island myself, and the Mango slices served, were either green or super soft ( from the mango falling and the flesh being bruised or overripe and about to go bad)..

Horrible customer service at the Omelette station
So as I stood in line to order my omelette, the chef was having a full conversation with the guest in front of me, while he made his omelette.. Another family member of the guest came And sure enough, the guest orders his two eggs, in front of all the others already in the line waiting. In the meantime, the chef had asked what I wanted and I said ' huevos revueltos'.. This is what the mexican workers at my job in AZ call scrambled eggs.. Because he is so engrossed in conversation with the guest, he forgets what I ordered. About 5 mins later, he asks me again, and as I replied he smiled and said he forgot. He proceeds to break two separate eggs on the grill.. I say, 'that is not what I want'. He says ' it's your fault (culpa) as I make what you ordered'.. I said ' you are too busy talking to your friend and ignoring the rest of us customers, and now you are making me something I didn't order'.. He hit the roof! He throws the spatula on the grills rips off his apron and went on.. I had no idea what he was saying then as the Spanish was coming too fast, but his actions told me, he was ready to fight.. Another chef runs over, apologizes profusely to me, and sends him out the grill area. Can you believe even when he left, I could still hear him going off! The whole time my egg was being made, the replacement chef is apologizing and you could still hear him the back going on! How is that for customer service! Did he forget I was the customer??? Or that he was on the job working, so socializing with your friend will have to take a backseat to the customers' needs?

Overall, the good things made up for the bad, and we had a great time. Loved Punta Cana! Will definitely visit the island again, but pretty sure we will stay elsewhere, unless of course, the buffet undergoes a major overhaul..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Pdowdie
Dear Pdowdie:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

Thank you for your comments about our great beach, our friendly staff, the grounds and our Animation Team.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your stay with us. We genuinely apologize for falling short of your expectations. I'm sorry to read about the no show fee that your agency charged you.

We would like to thank you for your feedback about improving our gastronomic offer in our Buffet. Your comments will be forwarded to our Executive Chef.

We hope you give us another chance to have you as a guest in Catalonia Bávaro.

Best Regards.

Derry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Sorry for the long review but it was such a fantastic vacation I can't say enough!

My girlfriend and I stayed at Catalonia Bavaro in the beginning of June, it was our first time in the Dominican and our first time at an All Inclusive Resort. The grounds at Catalonia Bavaro are BEAUTIFUL! The pictures barely do it justice. With the cool open air lobby and the beautiful flowers and trees that line the walk ways and the fantastic wildlife it was paradise. We stayed a week and we did not want to leave. We also did Zip Lining and Adventure Buggies which were amazing.

Check in was quick and easy. Christobel? at the desk was very friendly and got us on our way. We did have two issues with keys, one where I forgot one and one where it didn't work. We went back to the front desk and within minutes had a new one that worked.

The room was wonderful, the be comfortable, the air conditioner was fantastic, and we didn't have any issues with anything while we were there. I have heard from others who had issues with their safes so I would say try to get the electronic safe because you set your own code. Housekeeping was always attentive and if we asked for anything we got it.

We were right next to the pool so we never had any trouble getting a spot there nor any issue at the beach but it can definitely get busy. There was nothing better than having the swim up pool bar though. Just remember to say mas rum when getting a drink...although since we were drinking all day it definitely helped that the drinks were not strong. The beach bar was also good but I typically found longer lines there, but having the crepe station there was fantastic and a must try.

I was questioning the quality of food because of some of the reviews but some people are apparently very picky eaters. I had no issues with most of the food. The food at the buffet was good...it is buffet food so of course it's not going to be the best thing that you had ever eaten but if you go for the grill stations those are pretty good. The a la carte restaurants were pretty good. Our favorite was the Japanese one all around but I had the best desert at the Italian, the best entree at the American and a really good appetizer at the Mexican.

The staff at Catalonia was terrific, the best part of the resort. Esctar? the coffee guy at the buffet greeted us every morning with a friendly smile, welcome, and a cup of coffee. Polanco, our Jet Blue representative was fantastic and was always able to answer any questions that we had. The event staff was friendly and full of energy trying to organize games throughout the day. And the best people were the photographers. My girlfriend and I had a free photo session with Francesco and at the end of the session I proposed and we got some beautiful pictures down by the beach. Thank you Francesco. And Victoria and all of the other photographers were very friendly and fun just getting you to take some fun pictures.

We had a fantastic trip and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Room 2003 was fantastic! Anything by the pool or beach you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Kevin G
Dear Kevin G:

Thank you for such a great review about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

It is very rewarding to know about the great experience that our guests have had with us. Thank you for your great comments about our friendly staff, our rooms, the quality and variety of our gastronomic offer and our pool bar.

It's always an honor to be part of special occasions, I'm glad to know that our beautiful surroundings were the scenery for you to propose to your girlfriend. Thank you for letting us being part of this memorable moment.

We truly hope to welcome you back, hopefully to celebrate your wedding or honeymoon with us!

Greetings from Punta Cana!

4voyageuse
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I am finally taking the time to write a review about this hotel hoping that helps fellow travelers who consider choosing this property.

First, and to be fair, I have a few positive things to say about the Catalonia Bavaró. The beach is gorgeous, the gardens are very well-maintained, and the buffet staff is very friendly. Sure, the grounds and particularly the rooms are so worn-out it is almost funny, but I read that about other hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Now for the negative...
I purchased an all-inclusive trip to that hotel for 4 people : myself, my husband, and my parents. The 2 rooms were Junior Suites, #2813 and #2822, for 7 nights, back in late April.
You may want to skip the details...

In my parents' room (#2822 - last floor), the A/C was not working, no cold air was coming out from the vents. They thought they didn't use it correctly so they just spent the first night in the heat and found out, the following day, that it was simply not working (there was a huge difference in temperature between their room and ours). We reported the issue to the front desk that day. The hotel staff promised to send someone, but nothing was ever done until 3 days later after countless phone calls (when there was a tone) and trips back to the front desk to demand a repair or a change of rooms. That didn't help my mother's condition, who got some kind of stomach bug after a couple days. She had very little sleep! Maintenance eventually came and spent an hour. One of us stayed in the room to explain the problem. They repaired it (or so they thought) and said the room would be nice and cool within an hour. When my parents returned to their room a few hours later, it was still hot, humid and stuffy. The reparation had failed. We went back to the front desk again, and the front desk manager came to the room. We were all in the room while the team was trying to repair it again. It didn't work and at midnight, my mother, who was not feeling well, didn't feel she could pack all their stuff that late and move to another building (they had finally accepted a room change), so they spent a fifth miserable night. The manager promised that the A/C would be repaired the following day or my parents would get another room. On our sixth day, we went for an all-day excursion, and when we got back to the room, it was still not working. No word about changing rooms, no apology, nothing. We were really mad, went to Guest Services and asked to see the manager of Guest Services, whom we got to see the following day. My husband demanded a new room, and they eventually got a room with working A/C. For the last 2 nights.
Overall, during our stay, that issue made us waste precious vacation time. That prevented us from participating in some hotel activities and excursions. That was so frustrating.
The A/C was the most serious issue we had, but we had several others. In room #2813 this time. The phone was fixed a day and a half after I reported it, the WIFI was non existent in the rooms and very unreliable in the lobby (I know, this is common in the Dom. Rep.). The TV in room #2813 would not work properly. The last 2 days, we had no image at all, but we were so upset and busy with my parents' A/C problem and the procedure for a partial refund that it seemed minor in comparison.
Except for a few people at the front desk (Miguel was helpful) and the adorable staff at Gran Caribe Buffet, we felt totally disregarded by the hotel personnel, we were promised things that never happened, and there is a serious lack of communication among the staff.
I understand there may be technical issues from time to time. All the staff has to do is deal with them ASAP and not have guests wait, get frustrated and waste their vacation time. A simple change of rooms, and no empty promises! We're all losing in the end.
Anyway, a few weeks later and after many hours on the phone with Expedia, all we were able to get is a voucher for a 4-night stay (no flight, of course) at that same property. Why not at another Catalonia property? That is a mystery. My parents are not returning there. Expedia offered me a $50 voucher for my next trip for the inconvenience, they were unable to help on that matter.

So here is my advice, should you choose that property : forget about a refund. Take the free services ("compensations") they eventually offer you, ask for more because what they offer at first is ridiculous. We saw other travelers filling out that complaint form we were given to start the refund procedure, but I bet they did not get their money back either.

Room Tip: ask to visit the room first, turn on the A/C!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank 4voyageuse
Dear 4voyageuse:

In references to your comments, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay with us.

We regret about misunderstanding with our Guest Service Manager. This Management authorized for you the dinner at the beach, relaxing massages and treatments at the spa (the last one you asked for them), however if the client want to be refunded, the process in this company is how she explained to you through your agency.

The certificate is only for four (04) nights because you and your parents received another services in the hotel as food and beverage, entertainment and all the facilities.

We will be delighted if you give us the opportunity to have you again as our guests, and let us pamper you in the way we like to treat our guests.

We know that you have all this information and the formal certificate that Miss Matias on behalf of the Management sent you on May 29th, 2014. In that document, we changed the names as you asked.

Yours Sincerely,

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This resort is dated and needs work. The pool area was in need of a good cleaning. The resort needed maintenance and paint. The food was decent and the restaurant selection was actually pretty decent. The drinks at the bar were good but the menu is fairly limited. If you are not staying in a privileged suite don't plan on any alcohol or drinks in your room. You get 2 beers, 4 waters, and 4 sodas in your "mini bar".

We were turned off at check-in when you had to go to the time share desk to get your dinner ticket and schedule an orientation and sales presentation. They tell you can tell them no but that is not the case. We did not go to our appointment and the sales folks hangout all over the resort and stop and ask your name and arrival. If they find you missed your appointment they hustle you back to a presentation. This happened to us and is the main reason I will say I will never stay at a Catalonia Resort and if you want a peaceful vacation this is not the place to go. Our presentation was supposed to be one hour-it was 3. When we said no to 3 different salespeople and a manager they would not let us go until we threw a fit and started raising our voices. They even called us and asked us to come back to the presentation.

We were in a "deluxe junior suite". There was nothing deluxe about it. It was plain, bare, and no matter how much we asked we couldn't get extra towels. The shower was just a hand held you couldn't stand under. Most American Best Western Hotels are much more luxurious and comfortable than this place. there are very few outlets for charging items and even the 110V plugs for USA items won't fit a 3 prong grounded USA plug. Bring adapters and power strips.

They ignored our request for a non-smoking room. If you are a smoker, this is a paradise. Smoking is allowed everywhere at the resort and I would actually call the resort one big ashtray and butt disposal ground.

WiFI was free but shoddy at best. However, best reception was on the beach. The beach was nice and the water was great. But you have to get out early to get a "prime" spot. The pool was crowded and not well kept up in my opinion. There is something to be said for US cleaning and health standards because there aren't many at this resort.

Overall this resort was a dump. Many have said you get what you pay for. Like many other reviewers--I didn't get what I paid for. I paid way too much. I will give the workers and servers an "A" because they did their best at a resort that is more interested and selling you time share than ensuring you have a good time. Best you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Walls are paper thin. If you stay here pay for a "privileged" suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Charlie C
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Very dissapointed with that hotel which years ago was quite an upscale 4.5 star resort which my familly and i used to love. Came back this july just to find out that as the result of management change has turned into the place with dirty rooms, poor service, dirty beach sand and pretty bad food. Even though we were in the privellaged section, the room was smelling with mold and was pretty dirty , the buffet choices were limited and a lacarte restaurants had huge line ups. The ocean was nice and the sand on the beach was pretty dirty. An only thing i liked was a fresh juice bar on the beach. Also the seem to have a pretty good day care. Overall, if you are not fussy about food or room cleaness then consider it a solid 3 star resort. I ve been to much better places in Punta Cana. Sadly, Catalonia is not on my hotel list any more.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank princessa1Toronto
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Princessa1Toronto:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent holiday experience at Catalonia Bávaro Resort. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced.

We guarantee you that your comments have been forwarded to the departments involved in order to put together an immediate action plan to prevent future matters. We are working closely with our staff, to ensure that the service provided is of the highest quality. It is our main objective that our guests receive nothing less than our best services.

The staff of Catalonia Bávaro Resort, will take into consideration all of your constructive comments and hope that soon, we will be honored with your visit to show you our improvements.

Warmest Regards,