“FOR WHAT YOU PAY IT'S GREAT......”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #59 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brampton, Canada
“FOR WHAT YOU PAY IT'S GREAT......”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It was a great time. For two adults and two small children three and five we had a blast.
If you’re looking for perfection you won’t find it there. Go spend 20K for week in St.Barts if you want to complain about the food, beach, room and service. First-the food was fine we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner and never felt board by what was offered. (Just happy not to have to cook and do dishes) second- The beach was fine and yes you do have to get up early in the morning to get chairs, but that’s pretty much a standard at every resort. Third- The room was a bed and that’s fine. Because it for sleeping a if you have spent all day swimming, eating and drinking you’ll pretty much sleep on anything. Forth- service, well I didn’t need anything so I can’t say it was good or bad.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank J C
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear J.C:

Thank you for sharing such a fair review with the community of Tripadvisor. It's a pleasure to know that you and your family truly enjoyed your stay with us and our facilities.

Thank you for your comments about our gastronomic offer, the rooms and the beach.

We thank you for choosing the Catalonia Bávaro for your stay and are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (899)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Generally we have enjoyed the holiday very much & recommend the resort, although we have broken it down
A) Thomson experience
B) Hotel experience

A) Thomson experience.
1) Thomson - bit of both :0/
Thomson flight - delayed outbound, although the Dreamliner was very pleasant & comfortable.

2) We upgraded by phone to what we were told was honeymoon privilege, however the venue were not informed we were on honeymoon, so we were put in a normal Priviledge suite, which we were told on the phone was a honeymoon but only showed as normal Priviledge, but would be fine on arrival.

3) Day 1 after a 45 minute delay to flight..not a great start.
The rep from the Airport in DR dropped us off at the wrong reception as he didn't know we were privilege, we made our way to the main reception desk and the venue rectified the check in issue although this took a while.
Then Henry rectified some of the honeymoon issues, although he couldn't change the room as we had not been booked the honeymoon suite by the uk Thomson phone rep.

B) Hotel:

Negatives/ tips to help future guests.

1) Wifi outside main lobby is hit & miss. Better at beach.
2) Safety deposit box please note:
Initial code you will be given is the reception number to open safe initially, this is not safe to continue using, so reset lock with own 4 digit code.
3) Warning: staff on clipboards trying to sell you hotel chain membership and benefits, just say no gracias and smile or say you have already spoken to Joan Estrella.
4) If windy/very cloudy take umbrella from room, rain will soak you in 10 seconds.
5) if going off site, wear everything repellant, you will get bitten and not just by mozzies, there are plenty of flying bugs and flying Beatles that have pincers etc..
6) Buy bug ammonia stick from chemist & anthisan.
7) lobby bar and night shows are hit & miss.
8) there are 2/3 different bugs on the resort that do bite, they are not mosquito's, more like a gnat/midgie they are usually out in force after rain or a storm, we were eating alive in the last 3-4 days of the holiday.

Positives:
1) Priviledge is worth the cost especially if you upgrade in the uk before you go.
Upgrade to privilege in uk by phoning thomson beforehand, it's £8 pppn, cheaper than upgrading at the resort which is $25 pppn (£17pppn)
Benefits below and totally worth the cost!
- Multiple access to all restaurants, buffet areas have separate non queue areas (these areas have best view)
- Pure bar & terrace restaurant available to Priviledge only.
- Most top shelf spirits
- Separate section of beach with waiter service
- Room service (small menu) 24 hour
- Nicer room & exceptionally large, even without honeymoon element.
- Rooms are next to beach, beach bar and pool & La Palapa Buffett.
2) Henry (Thomsom rep in hotel) lovely guy, very knowledgeable about DR and recommended 2 excursions and said he could arrange a local shopping trip for souvenirs & rum.
Henry spoke to hotel about our booking situation and he managed to get us part of the honeymoon deal, romantic towel shaping, champagne, 30% off of beach meal, flower petals.
3) Excursions:
Outback safari excellent, long day and full on but amazing value for money, highly recommended, Lucky and Julio our tour guides were excellent with great humour.
Dolphin VIP:
Bit of a procession through birds, seals & tourist crap, but worth it for the interaction with dolphins, excellent morning.

4) Chambermaid excellent (leave small $5 tip a couple of times in your stay, your fridge will be well stocked) Margarita changed our coffee machine with no fuss at all.
5) Bars and cocktails: all below are good: Beach bar, Curaçao bar & Pure bar
6) There is seaweed, however it is cleaned up regularly and the sea has plenty of sea life that feeds on this, at least 3 types of fish that are tame and will brush, and make contact with you in the water.have never experienced this without scuba diving it was pretty cool.
7) Few Mosquitoes on resort, no major issues there, wear a repellent band as a precaution anyway.
8) Wildlife is amazing:
Flamingoes, turtles, exotic birds, fish, coots, ducks, herons & tiny kingfishers, hermit crabs, sea crabs,
9) Activities:
Animation team are good, lots of water and beach aerobics, Zumba, salsa & merengue to keep you entertained at pool and beach.
Volleyball
Spanish classes, painting etc..
Archery
Golf (£45 for 9 hole with club hire)
Scuba dive with additional costs.

10) In regards to restaurants, don't agree with all feedback, however we do agree that Mariachi (Mexican) was a totally dire experience.
No air con, worst nacho's in history, totally tasteless food.
All other restaurants below:
- Gran Caribe Buffett has better selection, staff hit & miss.
- La Palapa Buffett - best for breakfast, good food & attentive staff.
- Italian - Portions small, take all 3 courses, good choice of food & lovely desserts (tiramisu is great)
- Steak house - good meat
- Mikado: show cooking, fresh and tasty- best one by far
- Terrace tapas restaurant (Privilege only) - good.

11) Bars:
Beach bar good- waiter service :)
Curaçao bar - good
Pure bar - good, although ensure you are wearing trousers and repellant it's near water.
Lobby & pool bar - not great

12) Watch the Michael Jackson show, very good imitation artist, has all the moves to a T.

• Stayed August 2014
10 Thank Lyn P
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Lyn P:

Thank you for providing us your comment about your recent experience in our hotel.

Thank you for upgrading to our Privileged area so could enjoy the different perks we have to offer to our guest. Also, thank you for your great comments about our beach, the restaurants and your room.

We are really sorry to read that your experience at our Mariachi restaurant was below your expectations. We appreciate your comments, we will send them to our executive chef.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Catalonia Bávaro in the future.

portsmouthuk
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

My new wife and I have just returned from the most amazing 2 weeks of our lives in what can only be described as the most beautiful place I have ever seen We had room 102 in the honeymoon suite and it was gorgeous and spacious and we were pleased to see the private garden and jacuzzi as we were not e pecting that . Right from arrival we were whisked off straight away on a golf buggy to the privilege check in and within a few minutes our cases were im our room and we were on the beach tanning it and having a bananamama . Much needed after a long flight . The beach is so beautiful and the water so clear . I love a snorkeling and every time I went in the sea over 2 week there was a new species of fish to see or lobster. Our room was large and the bed massive and we did enjoy the double bath . The mini bar was always well stocked but a little trick is to put some drinks in your case if your out so you get extra ... good to stock up for excursions. The grounds are kept to a very high standard and with all the ponds and fishes /flamingos etc is paradise. The food was exquisite in all the restaurants and by far the best was the mexican followed by the jjapenese the steak one was a little of a let down though . The tapa bar was best for lunch.. less choice but bit better quality. The cocktails were all great and the DIRTY MONKEY cocktail is a must have . Stay a bit clear of drinking too many coconut milk cocktails as they are a laxative .. be warned . We also had a lovely massage on the beach and a romantic lobster dinner for 2 as part of our package. The staff were all amazingly friendly and I dont think one member walked past without saying OLA. . the pool was large and lovely . And I must recommend scubaquatic for some scuba dives they are well organised friendly and diving is seeing a whole different world out there with water as clear as glass . I did 3 dives all take about a hour and half straight from the beach and the MONICA WRECK was the best at 12 meters . We did have stirm bertha which was more like a breeze and I did subject everyone to my poor poor rendition of robbie Williams let me entertain you to which I do apologise. All in all this is where I hope I go after this life as it was a slice of heaven . We made some amazing friends . My mum and dad have seen the 0hotos and already booked to come in September and I doubt it will be long till we too return. Thankd for the t-shirts and the great honeymoon . From myself Richard and my wife Emma edwards./harris

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank pompeyrich72
Dear Pompeyrich72:

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

I was pleased to read that you had decided to stay at the resort for your honeymoon, and I am delighted that you were thrilled with your stay.

Thank you for your very positive feedback concerning the associates at the resort, and also regarding the facilities available.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Catalonia Bávaro.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family just recently got back from this resort. My wife & I, My ( 2 ) Daughters & Grand kids. i not one to complain. but i just gotta. so here goes. August 1-9th. 2014

Check in: when fast until we went to our room and it was so out dated, smelled funky, very small, they wasted a lot of floor space on the big tub that i think no one uses. could have installed a nice large shower there. safe had a hole where the lock goes. so we called the front desk to see what we could do about changing our room. they just happen to have a privelaged room for $ 400.00 more. what a deal :0. so we looked at it it wasnt much bigger that the other but it did have a Cool Pool. thats a small hot tub that dont get hot. very nice after a long hot day on the beach. so thats were we stayed. so now we are in it to win it. not much to say about that lets move on.

Beach: the beach was super soft white sand with sea weed all over it. worst in the mornings when you get out to grab a couple loungers. so they rake it up and its gone NOT. It floats all in the water all around you all day. Now that just dont happen at this resort. we have stayed in serevral DR resorts and same thing with the sea weed. i just dont like things touching me in the ocean except my wife. as other people have said about the fish beening around you as soon as you get in the water aint no big deal they dont bite unless there bigger fishs. fairly large resort beach area. plenty of room for everyone including the guys trying sell you something. one beach bar and a juice bar.

Pools: all i can say Nice. very big. if you like swim up bars were the water seems to be warmer around the bar if you know what i mean. :(-

Resturants:

WOW. the only places we liked was Mexican, & American & that one was close to being bad but had to eat something. stomach stayed tore up all week. still havent got all the DR out of me yet. buffetts were a hit and miss.

Conclusion : aint about time all this Bitiching. Listen we all pay good money to go to these places, they make money hand over foot from us the customer. im not one to say the customer is always right. but i do own a small bussiness and the customer is always right. keep them upgraded, have good food. be nice to us or we wont come back. having said that have a nice day.

Room Tip: Save up!!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank sourcebattery
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Sourcebattery:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online.

On behalf of the Catalonia Bávaro Resort staff we extend our apologies for the discomforts you faced during your stay with us.

We guarantee you that your comments have been forwarded to the departments involved in order to put together an immediate action plan to prevent future matters.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Great family place,wonderful kind and friendly people,great service food was great as well, we loved the variety of the buffet ,beautiful beach ,would for sure go back again,and recommend this place to all my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Ulis K
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Ulis K:

Thank you so much for your comments. They are very much appreciated and I was glad to read you enjoyed your experience at Catalonia Bávaro.

We look forward to taking care of you once again very soon.

Columbia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I recently stayed in a privelaged room for my honeymoon. The staff is amazing, the beach is fabulous, and the grounds are very well-kept. However, the food is so bad that it literally ruined our honeymoon. Most of it is inedible, and we were both starving the entire time. The 34-hour snack bar is the worst offender. I ended up in the hospital on day three with a severe bacterial infection, which the doctor said was from the food. I also was sick from a parasite. I spent a few days recovering I the hotel room, and my husband and I ate m&ms and saltines from the guest shop. We spent $1200 at the hospital, and the hotel refused to do anything to help us--they claimed that "no one has ever gotten sick off of our food"; but we spoke to more than 5 couples on the beach that were sick as well. I'd love to return to punta Cana and have a real honeymoon, but I will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Duck233
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Duck233:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online and for choosing us as the destination for your honeymoon.

Regarding your stomach discomfort, we will like to inform you that we adhere to the highest standards recognized and supervised by Safety and Hygiene Consultants, like the globally recognized, Crystal; which constantly audit us. As a result, we are extremely careful regarding the foods that we use and the cleanliness of our areas, therefore, we really sorry to hear that you got ill during your stay. We did not have any other report from other guests during this time. It is a personal opinion the affirmation that your illness was caused because of the food in the Resort. Guest can become ill by: Change of weather, habits, abuse of food, mixing of foods, allergies to new food products, too much sun, eating excessive fresh fruit, especially coconut (which is a natural laxative), eating food from outside of the resort (for example while on excursions), arriving ill from their own country (from the flight or a previous illness).

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the problems you experienced during your stay.

Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is my first time doing a review and knowing what would have been helpful for me to sort through the plethora of information I found going through reviews, I decided to be very detailed and to categorize the review by topics, so one can quickly go the topic they are interested in. I will also start with the good and end with the areas for improvements. Hope my review is helpful!
We stayed July 26 thru August 1, 2014. We booked for July 25, but thanks to flight cancellation, we arrived a day later. We notified the hotel, through booking.com, of our delayed arrival. When we arrived, we were upgraded to Priviledge rooms, which was equivalent to VIP accomodations. So we ate in a special section in the buffet with waiters serving us beverages, had a reserved area on the beach and fruit platters delivered to room every day. There was also 24 hour room service which we never used.

THE GOOD
Overall
The rooms were nice, spacious, and clean. We had a junior suite, so we had a king bed, and a living area. Wicker furniture was in good shape. Toilet and shower were in a separate small room, while the bathroom had a nice size Jacuzzi style tub. The tile around the tub, the faucet had been patched putty.

Staff
They were extremely courteous, very friendly, always greeting each guest with a smile. Most are native Spanish speakers, but there were some native French speakers as well. They also love when you speak Spanish or make an effort. I think it makes them feel good that you are trying and for that, they go out of their way to please you. Both my daughter and I speak Spanish, not fluently, but enough to be understood and to understand them. They took time out to correct and fill in the blanks for us, which was great, as we are always seeking opportunities to practice our Spanish.

Restaurants
There are 4 speciality ones I believe.. Japanese, Italian, Steakhouse and Mexican. We ate at all but the Mexican and enjoyed our dining experiences. Do note that the Japanese only has 4 TABLES/ROOMS with each seating 15. So there is always a wait and they are usually .booked by 8 pm.. They do not take reservations in advance (day before). They are open at 6 pm each night so you can go at 6 pm and reserve your spot for a time later that night. So we finally got in on our last night there. We went straight from the pool at 5:50 and at 6pm when the hostess appeared, set our names down for 7:30. It was definitely worth the hassle to get in... Which by the way, was our 3rd try...

Landscape
Beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous, and well kept! Loved loved loved it!! Lush, colorful tropical foliage... Can we say paradise! We didn't play golf but passed the golf course everyday and oh my word, what a beautiful stunning sight of green, well manicured grass!!
Everyday at the crack of dawn, the workers are diligently working on the grounds.. Mowing the lawn, getting rid of dead shrubs, planting new flowers, trimming plants, weeding, cleaning the ponds around the dining hall and restaurants. They do a phenomenal job in the upkeep of the grounds!!

Wireless
For sure there is wireless all over... However, do not expect to get on everywhere, and if by chance you do get on, don't expect to be able to do any kind of social media activity, as you will spend hours trying to upload a pic, let alone comment on a post on FB! The best wireless connectivity is on the beach, near the massage tent. Here you will be zooming on FB and Instagram! So yes, we spent our mornings here so we could use the wireless and saved the rest of the day for non wireless involved activities...
Entertainment
The entertainment staff was the absolute best! The folks worked round the clock, starting at 9:30 am through midnight, to ensure tons of fun activities for the guests to partake in, and to have a blast! In the mornings, the activities were on the beach. Activities such as beach volleyball, beach aerobics and dance classes. In the afternoons around 4 pm, the activities were at the pool.. Dance lessons ( merengue, salsa, bachata), water polo, pool kayaking, pool volleyball, crazy pool games, swimming competition, bowling and Zumba. Pretty obvious where I spent my afternoons... Haha.. At nights, around 9 pm, the entertainment is at the Barcelona theatre... Michael Jackson show (Wednesdays), International night (Thursdays), fun games for couples to partake in... Between when the activities in the theatre is over and when the disco starts, there is usually live singing and dancing in front of the theatre...11pm, the Disco is open for dancing...for all these activities and even in the disco, you can find the entertainment crew, engaging with the guests, in one form or the other... I especially love when they are your dance partners... A round of applause for Leonel, La Pluma, Fernando ( the best DJ and MC!)..!

THE BAD
Electrical Outlets
There were only two electrical outlets and both were in the bathroom. There was the standard 110v, and a 220V, that you would need a converter for. Since we did not bring a converter, we were down to one outlet and 4 electronic devices to charge. The outlets also only worked if the lighters were ON. We found out the first night when we got up and the cell phone wasn't charged. We ended in sleeping with the bathroom light on every night, and whenever we got up for a bathroom trip, we would switch to another electronic device to charge. This was a bit of an inconvenience and wished we would have known that upfront, so we could plan accordingly.

No show Fee

We checked in Saturday (a full day later than our booking due to airline cancellation), but we had kept them informed as to our delayed status. On Monday, I got an email from booking.com, charging me $164, as the hotel reported that I was a no show! I replied that I was very much checked in, even upgraded to Priviledge! I even provided my room number. They apologized and said they would confirm with the property. As I type, I am reminded to check for the reversal of this charge.

BUFFET
Absolutely horrible! Same nasty food every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner! No variety! We skipped dinner two nights as we werent in the mood to wait to be seated at a specialty restaurant and we certainly didn't want any more nasty, cold or undercooked buffet food!! Menu times were mostly American which not for the life of me can I fathom why I would vacation on an island to eat American food I left at home! The only Dominican food I can honestly say I saw, was fried plantains.. We are there to experience the culture which includes the food! Engulf us in your culture, dine us with Dominican cuisine! Most times the food was cold, and I am pretty sure it's because there was no warming agents being used ( that is no one replenished the hot water the serving containers sit in). The scrambled eggs would still have chunks of unmelted cheese in it! I saw lamb one afternoon and got excited. I couldn't even cut it with the knife. As for chewing, I swear I was chewing leather... Did they forget to cook it?? I normally eat healthy, tons of vegetables and fruits but not once did I see anything I could make a salad with (spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers), these things did not exist in the buffet... There were fruits yes, but most times, they weren't even ripe so shouldn't even be served for folks to eat. I love mangoes , being from another island myself, and the Mango slices served, were either green or super soft ( from the mango falling and the flesh being bruised or overripe and about to go bad)..

Horrible customer service at the Omelette station
So as I stood in line to order my omelette, the chef was having a full conversation with the guest in front of me, while he made his omelette.. Another family member of the guest came And sure enough, the guest orders his two eggs, in front of all the others already in the line waiting. In the meantime, the chef had asked what I wanted and I said ' huevos revueltos'.. This is what the mexican workers at my job in AZ call scrambled eggs.. Because he is so engrossed in conversation with the guest, he forgets what I ordered. About 5 mins later, he asks me again, and as I replied he smiled and said he forgot. He proceeds to break two separate eggs on the grill.. I say, 'that is not what I want'. He says ' it's your fault (culpa) as I make what you ordered'.. I said ' you are too busy talking to your friend and ignoring the rest of us customers, and now you are making me something I didn't order'.. He hit the roof! He throws the spatula on the grills rips off his apron and went on.. I had no idea what he was saying then as the Spanish was coming too fast, but his actions told me, he was ready to fight.. Another chef runs over, apologizes profusely to me, and sends him out the grill area. Can you believe even when he left, I could still hear him going off! The whole time my egg was being made, the replacement chef is apologizing and you could still hear him the back going on! How is that for customer service! Did he forget I was the customer??? Or that he was on the job working, so socializing with your friend will have to take a backseat to the customers' needs?

Overall, the good things made up for the bad, and we had a great time. Loved Punta Cana! Will definitely visit the island again, but pretty sure we will stay elsewhere, unless of course, the buffet undergoes a major overhaul..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Pdowdie
Dear Pdowdie:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

Thank you for your comments about our great beach, our friendly staff, the grounds and our Animation Team.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your stay with us. We genuinely apologize for falling short of your expectations. I'm sorry to read about the no show fee that your agency charged you.

We would like to thank you for your feedback about improving our gastronomic offer in our Buffet. Your comments will be forwarded to our Executive Chef.

We hope you give us another chance to have you as a guest in Catalonia Bávaro.

Best Regards.

VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#80 of 110 in Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!