“Be Live Grand - What Diffence A 2 Years Can Make!”

Be Live Collection Punta Cana
Ranked #67 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I have visited this resort 4 different times since 2006 and I am sorry to say that I will never return. My first visit in November of 2006 was awesome, food, service, entertainment, room all was wonderful especially for the price. In November of 2007 I found everything to be just as wonderful. I returned November of 2010 and we stayed in newer facilities and it was really nice the only change was the entertainment was not as good but no big deal. Sadly this visit; November 2012 was a big disappointment for me and all my traveling companions. Just before going on the trip I broke my ankle and needed a few accommondations. I brought my own wheelchair so all I needed from the resort was a building with an elevator or a ground level room and a walk in shower or a shower stool. Upon check-in I was told by the manager that they only have one handicap room and it was occupied so they could not accommondate me. Since I did not have a roommate taking a shower was going to be a problem if I didn't have a walk-in shower or a stool, I was told "sorry". Needless to say the lack concern and consideration tainted my trip. But they did give me a ground level room which was nice but the constant visit of cockroaches in the bathroom was very unpleasant. I always had the company of at least two very large cockroaches when going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The food was plentiful but just okay. Much of the resort was under construction so there was constant noise and many areas unavailable. Lastly the entertainment during the day and evening was marginal at best. The entertainment team members were nice and pleasant but flaming gay. I am in no way a homophobe but switching, lip smacking, wrist break males is a little overwhelming. Bottom line I will not return.

Room Tip: Higher floors, rooms in the newer section
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bailey-Beckwith
Write a ReviewReviews (11,173)

Reviewed 4 December 2012

First off, I have to commend Julio Salomon for all is hospitality during my stay @ Be Live Grand. From the moment we arrived, we had a fantastic time! We stayed here Nov 25 - Dec 2 for a girls week away. The food was fantastic, definitely enjoyed the variety that was offered daily. Spectacular beach and always plenty of loungers available. We can't wait to go back in a few months!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2012

There's nothing like a late November escape to Punta Cana to celebrate an important b-day!

The Be Live lived up to our expectations! Travelling 24 nov to 1 dec with daughter (21) and sister-in-law, we chose something that would ensure cleanliness, safety, good food, and a nice beach. This resort delivered!

We booked through Sunwing - can't say enough about those folks! They are excellent. From the moment you check in, you're on vacation! Airport and in flight service was awesome!

This was our first stay at the Be Live. Over the years I've have stayed at the Bahia, Natura Park, H10, and the Sirenis- love the Punta Cana people and loved this resort!

Yes, there was some renovation going on - the main lobby was not open - get over it folks - people don't sleep in the lobby! They were also re-doing the sports bar, and it was especially noisy beside building 7 when we went to do our morning swim. But hey, I'd much rather see a hotel undergoing some reno in the shoulder season (when prices are lower) than one sagging with age and rot! We paid 575 per person plus 391 tax. A very reasonable price for what we got - especially out of Ottawa!

We had 3 rooms in building 5 (one later upgraded to a suite - the sleek new reno'd type looking more like ikea than the islands), at an extra cost of 50 per night. The other two were more caribbean looking with ceramic floors, white poster beds and furniture and brightly coloured accessories. All were very clean - had vaulted or cathedral ceilings (a feature of the 3rd floor units) and spotless.

The in-room safes were included as were beach towels - and they never ran out! The maid service was impeccable - kudos to Solange and her team! Our rooms had mini fridges re-stocked daily with 2 beers, 1 coke and 1 sprite and water. As well, there was a small coffee maker in each room for early risers (breakfast is at 7). Tip: keep one bottle of water in your bathroom sink for brushing your teeth - that way you are sure not to use tap water accidentally.

We did have a few issues -
1. bad t.v. reception in one room - repaired same day
2. a telephone which did not work - after 3 days of complaining, it could receive incoming calls
3. noise - one night with a noisy young family next door - so with a little pushing, we arranged to move our light sleeper to another room down the hall
4. capacino - for a few days none of the coffee machines were working - that got fixed

I should mention that anytime a technician was sent to our rooms, he was accompanied by a private security guard who stayed in the room during work. It's always a good idea to put things of value in your safe! The old motto applies here: out of sight, out of mind! Why leave valuables lying around - this applies in any situation - not just in the islands!

WIFI - a relatively new thing - was beautifully accessible throughout the hotel and on the beach! We paid for unlimited use for the whole 7 days on any device for $60. Worthwhile if you need to keep in touch.

Food: excellent - we did the Brazilian, Japanese & Mexican. We did not attend the special dinner at the Gourmet though I am told it was lobster. Windows (main buffet) had a wide variety of food at all times and several cooking and carving stations! No lack of choice here!

Lunch on the beach BBQ was chicken most days - great - though I'd stay away from the fish - as I sit here at home fighting a bout of la tourista! Yes, I ate a little sketchy piece of fish at the beach buffet which may have been responsible for this. My traveling companions are fine - they stuck with the chicken!

Massages on the beach: a must! At 35. US, we found these to be a real treat. Lucia, a professionally trained massage therapist did us fine!

The casino was fun - we took 10. each and played on the 25cent machines until we had $150 to take to the Black Jack table! Had a blast playing with their money.

Shows - we only attended a couple - they start at 10 pm and after a day on the beach, that's late for us. They were ok. We did not do the disco - it opens at 11 pm - and charges for drinks I'm told.

Overall, we felt special - and on my b-day my room was decorated and the staff at the Brazilian brought out a cake and sang a raucous rendition of happy b-day!

We had three separate opportunities to shop on the grounds when local merchants set up tables for browsing after supper - there is also a small market right across the street - a bit tiresome after the first few stores.

Overall a very good trip - and yes, we'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Lyse F
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Just recently returned from a week at this resort and can report we had a great time. Yes, there are renovations going on but it did not interfere with our stay. All staff the we encountered were very pleasant. Víctor Pollantis, Rooms division mgr. was very accommodating and he is a great person representing the Be Live brand. The resort is very easy to get around. We were in Building 5 and had a very nice renovated room. They are renovating sections at a time. Seems the even numbered rooms are renovated. I will be honest, If we did end up with an older room - that would have been the one negative thing to report. There are several pools, no problem finding lounge chairs. The beach is nice,yes there is seaweed, but they do a good job cleaning it each day. You can walk the beach for awhile. The water is clearer once you get past Dreams resort. The food was very good. Getting reservations we had no problems, just went to the desk and booked for the week. We ate at the buffet, Japanese, American, Gourmet. We were scheduled for the Mexican & Brazilian,but had a change of plans. We did have a very nice lobster dinner that was one of the highlights of our week. We did attend a couple shows and really thought the Michael Jackson show was good. There is a casino, shops, Internet cafe on site.Vendors set up a few times during the week. Moon disco is attached & it is open to the public. We did a Segway tour and a Buggie 4x4 tour & would recommend both of them. One thing to mention: if you were in building 15,its rear entrance overlooks the local village & it can be very loud at night. We frequent AI resorts & would return to this resort no problem. Once the renovations are done, it will be even better.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room. There are many people who smoke in the rooms and if smoke bothers you be s...
6  Thank Deekny
Reviewed 26 November 2012

First off, I find it funny that most people with negative comments booked through Living Social. Maybe that is the problem. We booked through AirTransat holidays and had the Cameleon package and it was amazing. You get your own lobby, with very helpful, english and french speaking staff, there at the desk ALL day for any questions or concerns. The maids and staff were all VERY nice and helpful.
Lifestyle people were annoying, but we ended up speaking with a man who was also from the maritimes in Canada and we talked to him for about an hour, no pressure, and we got a free bottle of mamawanna just for having a chat with him haha.
Vendors were annoying, but thats how they make a living. Just say no if you dont want it and they wont bother you anymore (that day atleast lol).
The beach is amazing! You can walk it for miles and see so many beautiful things and meet some very cool people.
We loved our room. When we first went in, it smelled a little damp, but as soon as we opened the doors and turned the a/c on, the smell went away with in an hour or 2. Its only expected when you are beside an ocean, that rooms will get damp!
I absolutly loved that it was small enough that I could walk wherever I wanted to go. AND there are a ton of pools and bars. We had a pool about 10 feet from our patio :). I even felt safe walking around by myself.
We were told by a local, that the staff will do whatever they can to keep people safe, because its very hard to get a job at a resort, because they are some of the most high paying jobs you can get down there (for an average person), and they will do anything to keep it. Also, if they screw up, chances are, they will be taken out to the ocean and "taken care of" :) lol.
Love this resort, and I want to go back every chance I get :).

To those reading the reviews, trying to make a decision, read the good, and take the bad with a grain of salt. If you are used to extravogant hotels and being treated like royalty, then this isnt the place for you. If you are down to earth and just want to relax and enjoy the Dominican culture, this is the perfect place to do it! :)

Oh and the food was AWESOME. Those who say "dont eat the meat", I ate it and lived to tell the tale. I think I gained 10 lbs in 1 week!!. I did have a tiny tummy trouble one night, but that was probably a combination of new food, mucho rum and mamawanna shots! :) Totally worth it!

Room Tip: Cameleon building is the way to go. If you can, book through AirTransat holidays and you wont regret...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Crystal F
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Don't suggest with other hotels from Be Live. I've been in Tenerife so I choosed this one. It isn't a this 4 * standard. In november there was renovated. Don't take 9 or higher number of houses.There is small local disco but very noisy. Apartments has open door entrance and if it's raining sometimes there is a lot of water at the floor. I still can't understand why hotels in places like caribbean can't don't makes fresh fruit juices?! In this hotel there was a 80% people from russia.

Room Tip: Don't take apartments with 9 or higher number
4  Thank Amigoucieka
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Just returning home from Be live and a review cant explain how fantastic this place is but here goes. My boyfriend and I bought a groupon at a really good price, leading up to our travel date I became uneasy by all the bad reviews. Once arrived to the hotel check in was super fast, got our keys and bracelets. We went to our room and it was fab, very clean, very modern, LOVED THE BATHROOM. The pools were clean, enough food and liquor. There are activities daily at the main pool. We ate at the Mexican a la carte and the food was good. All the other days we were there we ate at the Windows (main buffet). People comment about the construction. In order to improve, construction MUST occur!! It didnt bother us at night nor did it stop us from having fun. The staff is super friendly, always willing to help you. Others talked about how they dont speak english. YES, this is true, fluent english is not something that you will get but you are in another country and the main language is Spanish so get a dictionary! We took $250 dollars to tip. Just because you are at an all inclusive doesn't me you don't tip for a service. A couple of dollars goes a long way in ANY country.

Nicolas was the BEST!! GO see NICOLAS!!! Thank you Mr. Pollantis!!! We enjoyed our trip and would HIGHLY recommended this resort, I cant wait to see it once all the upgrades have been added.

6  Thank Lib G