“Perfect spot for us :)”

Ranked #79 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ontario, Canada
“Perfect spot for us :)”
Reviewed 24 January 2004

:)We were 2 females travelling for rest, relaxation and fun and this proved to be just a great place for us. We were so close to all that was important to us, the beach, the bar, and the disco. We had a great time. The room was fine, but we switched the second day as we were staying for 2 weeks and did not want to face the parking lot...no problem. It would have been great if we could have made our wake up coffee in our room, as we very rarely made it down to breakfast which ended at 10 am. The buffets hit on every palatte, so no complaints there. We stayed away from salads, creamy cold dishes, ice cubes and pina coladas and neither one of us got sick at all. El Presidente beer is just great stuff !! The snorkeling on the reef in front of the Riu Taino was super...watch when the tide leaves though...usually around noon...you'll feel it pull you out with it. I played all of my volleyball at the beach by the Riu Melao, as our hotel never seemed to get a game going, but at the beach I easily played 2 times a day (11 am and 4 pm) I recommend that you change your money to pesos and don't do it all at once as the rates change quite a bit. Tipping or giving some small gifts is greatly appreciated by the staff, we know it's all inclusive but we enjoyed giving the staff a little extra, and the staff here is second to none. I also recommend that you learn more spanish than I did before you get there, as this hotel had very few english speaking staff members, I got along better with the amount of German that I knew. French also seemed to be pretty common, although not my specialty. Also bring some nice clothes for dining...every-one seems to enjoy wearing very nice outfits at dinner. Wearing my shorts to dinner made me somewhat underdressed. I'll know better next year when we return to the same resort. We took the monster truck safari and would recommend it to all. Be sure to tuck some stuff to give to the children in you luggage. Give it to the tour guide and he will hand it out in front of you. I shopped at the buck or two store and those kids just loved the stuff we gave them...they like candies too. Be sure to check out your entertainment schedule for your own resort, and the nightly shows presented at the other resorts, then maybe you won't miss some cool stuff like we did. (grilled lobster by the pool)
Hola to these super staff members: Marcia, Xiomara, Junior,
Domingo.....and "happy eyes" Arsenio, also German, Rafael, Luis,
Alexander, Levi, Osvaldo, Romero and Juan Miguel. These staff members
are the best (numero uno) Thanks for a wonderful vacation. For people
who want more glamour than this...the Riu Bambu was pretty
classy...lots of people..bigger resort. We went there for some of the
shows at night, but still preferred the staff at our own spot. Pick
this spot and you won't regret it.

6 Thank courtfive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 13 January 2004

Just returned from the Riu Taino in Punta Cana. We were a party of six, including my 2 kids, 2&7 yrs and my parents and husband. I know I can speak for all of us when I say we had a spectacular time!! The hotel was so accomodating to our every need. The staff are incredible, although they are not all fluent in English. But, if you need a staff member who does speak english, it could always be found. The animation (entertainment) team were fantastic. They keep you busy all day long, whether it is the dancing by the pool, water aerobics or the shows at night-which are amazing! The beach is beautiful and clean, sand is powder-like soft. No of us got sick. We enjoyed the food, although the Riu Bambo has a better bufffet selection (we went there sometimes). We brushed our teeth with filtered water and never drank from the tap.
They wash all food in filtered water and use it in all the cooking as well. There was always a big jug of bottled water in the room. If you want to take water to the pool, bring your own small bottle to refill each day. We never used our bug spray, and we didn't see any bugs. We did see little lizards around but never anything in our rooms-which are kept super clean.

All in all we had a fantastic time and would certainly go back to any Riu hotel.

Reviewed 4 January 2004

My husband and I stayed there last year from February 14th thru February 20th of 2003. We absolutely loved it! It was our 2nd time there.

We are now going again, January 24th thru January 31st, and we're taking our son with us. The resort is beautiful, the food is great, the staff is wonderful. We especially loved the fact that it is family oriented and the activities they plan over the course of the day are unbelievable. We have recommended this to everyone we know.

We have traveled extensively in our 6 years together and this is the best we've seen so far, especially the beach. If you try it once, you'll always want to go back, we have, this is our 3rd year going!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2003

We were booked into Riu Taino for the week. We arrived there at 11pm, in a lobby stuck in 1960-no high ceilings, bright colors, birds (all of the nice touches that make you feel that you are on vacation). We were then pointed to the food which was leftover shrivelled up Hot Dogs and dried out Hamburgers. We then were told there was also food at the Disco outside. We went there and the chicken was very good but we had to pay for that and the drinks (what about the all-inclusive?) Then we went to the Riu Palce (The only place that looked civilized) and were told that we could not have a drink there.Then we went to the room and it had a bed from Motel 6. Oh, we also had seperate beds. The next morning, we awaken to what looked like a zoo. I felt like I was back home at Jones Beach on Long Island. Hundreds of people on the beach, competing for space and making big noise. Not relaxing or what I expect on a vacation. Luckily, we booked with Apple Vacations and when we went to the orientation the next morning, for $50 a day per person extra we were able to upgrade to SECRETS EXCELLENCE! We had originally thought of this place when we booked our trip but thought it would lack variety because it was secluded and you could not share with other resorts (the stupid reason we booked Riu Taino). Secrets was just what my wife and I were looking for on our week away. We were greeted by a beautiful entrance and a lobby filled with open air and water flowing everywhere. We were greeted by the staff in pith helmets(nice touch) and were made to feel special. My worries of no variety could not have been further from the truth. I stayed busy the entire time there: tennis, tennis lessons, tennis tournament,billiards tournament, ping pong,massages, horseback riding, bike tour, afternoon games for prizes, swimming, swim up bar, the gym, the sauna, the steam room, the disco, the evening shows, casino, volleyball, 7 dinners in 7 restaurants (sit down meals) no buffets or long waits for dinner. In short I stayed occupied and was never bored and it was not a battle for chairs at the pool. The long winding pool leaves plenty of room for everyone. Its not one of those noisy square pools with music blasting and kids screaming. It was civilized but not dull or lifeless. I kept saying out loud, "I love This Place". Drinks were all top shelf and the service was friendly. Get the Coco Loco; They have fresh coconuts and serve you the drink using the actual coconut and its juice. We never left the property and we loved the environment. The Sports Bar area was always full of games and fun if you want it and there were many quiet spots as well. We did a great Horse Ride through the palm tree area near the resort and it was included in the price. It was wonderful. If you want to escape the crowds, still stay active, enjoy a variety of cuisine, spend quality time with your spouse, all at a decent price and still feel special GO TO SECRETS EXCELLENCE. SPEND THE XTRA CASH. DON"T BE CHEAP- YOU ONLY GET SO MANY VACATIONS IN YOUR LIFETIME WITH YOUR LOVED ONE. DO IT RIGHT DO IT NOW HAVE FUN! 'Nuff said!

7 Thank UkPepperoni

Travellers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Reviewed 20 November 2003

Okay, if your a parent looking for a MINT hotel for you and your teenage kids. This is THE place to go.. not only is teh price right, but honestly... you get MORE then what you pay for. Everyones friendly ... extra friendly ;) and the DISCO rules... the alcohol in the room becomes quite convient too.. on teh nights when nights turninto mornings fast. Beach is unbeileveable... just a tiny short walk... even tolerable on the days with huge hangovers... which is of course..
everyday!!! So pack you bags and leave TODAY!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 November 2003

My family (husband, 2 kids ages 4 & 6) have inthe past 2 years travelled to the Riu Naiboa and the Riu Tequilla(Mexico) and were overall impressed by th RIU chain. We are considering venturing out and travelling to the Mayan Coast again but considering a different resort.
Gala Resort Playacar. Interested in hearing from anyone who has travelled to the Gala after a RIU experience for comparison purposes.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 31 October 2003

I have stayed in Riu Naiboa 2 times and both times i had an amazing time. The beach,pool,bars and the rooms are beautiful. The food is great and the intertainment is exellent. The people there friend,kind and very sweet. During my whole vacation there i had an amazing time and planning to go again soon. I have been to many hotels in Punta Cana and Riu naiboa is the best. Trust me on one thing that when you visit this hotel you will never regret it. Riu Naiboa is #1.

6 Thank Lenchik25
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#82 of 111 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Hotel Riu Naiboa? Share your experiences!