Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 13 January 2008

we have just returned from 2 weeks in the dominican republic, excellence hotel. we did not want to leave, it is fantastic. rooms fabulous, service excellent, food fantastic people very friendly. the only downside was the beach, red flag every day so could not swim in sea, but pools made up for this.
would recommend to anyone.

8  Thank dragonflyz
Write a ReviewReviews (13,389)

Reviewed 12 January 2008

We stayed for 10 days around Christmas 2007 and New Year's 2008. This was our second visit; our first was in 2005 when the facility was owned by Secrets. We like the DR due to the nice people, the reliable weather and the diversity of guests -- Americans may be the largest group, but more than half the guests hail from the rest of the world, which we like.

The beach is beautiful and the facilities are pretty well kept up, considering the tropical nature of the climate. Public restrooms are almost always pristine. The rooms could use a freshening -- the linens are dingy and threadbare (has anyone at Excellence ever heard of Tide detergent?) and there's not enough light in the shower room or by the sink.

The Excellence Club is not worth $50 per person per day for a Miami Herald and more selections in the minibar.

The food is prepared well, available in copious quantities and has something for everyone, although meat-eaters will likely feel more at home. Serving conditions maintain food safety (my wife if the original kitchen cop.) The theme restaurants are a nice touch, and there aren't many waits. We missed the French restaurant because management was in the process of renovations and relocations during our stay.

The biggest gap compared to Secrets ownership is that the staff has been reduced. This is especially noticeable at the meal service, where getting a glass of water, a cup of coffee or a glass of wine can be an exercise in patience.

The staff is friendly and wants to do a good job but there aren't enough of them. A section with 10-15 two-tops would have two, maybe three servers who did everything -- set up tables, handled service, cleaned up and bussed their own tables. They worked in teams but it often wasn't clear who was responsible for what. When patience failed, I found that getting up and walking towards the service bar would invariably bring someone running.

The bar service is very good, with top shelf products available and the entertainment is also appropriate.

Bottom line -- there are new places opening up in 2008 and 2009 which will likely get our dollars when we return to the DR. This facility is still a bit better than OK, but it's also quite expensive. When it was owned by Secrets, it was head and shoulders above the rest -- now the gap is substantially smaller.

9  Thank Vagabondo525
Reviewed 12 January 2008

I think timing played a key factor here... we were at the resort Dec 14th through Christmas to Dec28th. We heard from a reputable source that occupancy during that time was 40%, and that effective the day we left (Dec28th), occupancy was expected to move into the 93% range. Looking at some of the reviews, I can only assume it played into the experience.

We did the club option (building 10, room 10208)and were well satisfied. I liked it for the internet options (heck, aren't we all addicted?) and not having to "dress" for breakfast. Great for evening grub as well, without traipsing all the way to the restaurants. The club food was excellent, hot, and frankly... I like to get it myself. The bar in the club is nice, feels like home when you can just get up and pour your own drink the way you like it. Internet is available on the resort property, it's a bit of a walk outside, and I recall the price as $5 for 20 minutes. A visiting friend was able to pick up wireless connection throughout the resort.

We had a civil marriage Dec 14th at the resort. It was organized, on time, and professionally handled. Resort photographer was efficient, knowledgeable, and had 5x7 glossy prints x 200 in our hands the next day. A friend (who is also a professional photographer, and ironically shooting with the same camera), made the comment that Severine (the photographer) knew what she was doing.

The room was clean and spacious. I specifically requested the 3rd floor as I don't like people walking above my head, and the vaulted ceilings give that wonderful feeling of space. Room service was completed by 3pm at latest, the "bar" service shows up sometime in the evening hours. Yes, I found the bed firmer than I like. So firm that by day 3 my hips were aching,so hubby stole one of the lounge cushions from a pool chair and installed it under the sheet. It was left untouched by maid service for the entire stay. We did return it... eventually. No critters were ever noted in the room.
There are no children at this resort, minimum age is 18, so the TV ,ahhhh, entertainment on a certain channel, was amusing for 5 minutes or so.

We did not have any difficulty with mosquitoes. Now, they'll bite you before me anyway for some reason.... My sister's ankles were bitten up, but I'm thinking more "sand fleas" than mosquitoes.
I will mention this, having married a Biology teacher and having environmental concerns. Major "fogging" operation every evening in the gardens. Never by the pool, or ocean side, but certainly in all the garden area's at the "front" of the hotel. That's going to affect all of you with "garden view" rooms. The chemical fog was thick enough to blanket everything up to and including the second floor. I don't think you will avoid it by looking at another hotel either, from what I gather, they all do it to cater to our North American preferences. My spouse noted a complete absence of spiders. Apparently, this is bad in the biology world...

The pool is drop dead gorgeous. Never seen another like it, and likely never will either. I'm thinking in some ways this resort is like Disney World.... after the sun goes down, and the park closes... all these people appear and clean up our mess, and do the heavier maintenance. On the plus side, hubby did note a small amount of algae growing in a grout line.. you had to look for it, but it is an indicator of a healthy water balance. Never, ever did I detect any chemical smell in the water, and my hair felt fine, a good sign.
I thought the pool chairs were reserved early by people. It was several days before I noted all the "reserved" chairs had identical towels rolled up nicely on them. Heck, I had a good laugh! The pool staff save the "line up for a towel" scenario by placing a towel neatly on all the chairs. If the towel is not opened, the chair is not taken.

The beach is equally beautiful. There is a small roped off area for "club members", but no one cares. If you like to walk, head off to the right.... it's safe and the next resort is a healthy 15 minutes down the beach. Lots of people out walking in both directions, but still, try not to walk alone.
This is NOT a water sport hotel. Three major ocean currents converge on Punta Cana. The result is wind, wind and more wind.. (one red flag, two red flags, two red and one black flag.. which I take to mean if you go in the water today... you are an idiot). To your knees and stop! My husband is Swedish, well acquainted with the ocean, and a good swimmer. He was 150ft out in seconds. Swim in the pool, enjoy the shoreline. Respect the water.

I didn't make it to most of the evening shows, but I hear they were OK kinda moderate to good on the Michael Jackson. The live sax and the piano bar were more to my enjoyment.
It's hard to get people involved in the various activities. Most of us just want to sit/destress, and absorb UV. I did find the horseback/4wheeler soliciting annoying. Yes I did.

The French restaurant remained closed during our stay. I found the Mediterranean restaurant a personal favorite. If you are longing for beef, please ask for the filet at this location. Oh, and.... you guys must be wearing a shirt with a collar, long pants. Ladies.. this is a dress for dinner night. The grill seems the most casual location if you are not feeling up to it.

We will return to this resort. We had excellent weather and excellent service. I cannot complain about the food. The resort was spotless, or as clean as it could be due to construction in certain area's. The staff seem happy. If I was truly rich, I would take the helicopter to the airport.... because the ride just might kill you. If the charter flight doesn't. But, the resort can't do anything about that ;)

15  Thank PDGOntario
Reviewed 11 January 2008

OK, first off I have to say that part of the reason we had such a wonderful, amazing trip was because of all the great advice that I got from the good citizens of TripAdvisor! Thank you all....
The Excellence is a beautiful resort and anyone who books their vacation here is bound to have an amazing trip (unless you are one of those people that is only happy when you are complaining or unhappy - we met a few of these people on our trip and I was so disappointed). I don't think I can say enough good things about the place but I am going to try to give you a very comprehensive, unbiased review.

We stayed from Jan. 2 - Jan. 9. We were booked into the Excellence Club and had an Ocean View Honeymoon Suite...room 10205. So here goes:

ARRIVAL:
We booked a helicopter through Helidosa to take us from the airport to the resort. The first thing was that when we got off the plane at the airport, it was very confusing....people were running everywhere trying to take your bags from you before you even had a chance to figure out what was going on...do not give up your bags until you know who you are giving them to and are sure that you are giving them to the right company. We were supposed to have been greeted with a sign with our names on it so that we would know where we were going but that didn't happen and it was difficult to find the helidosa guy and very confusing trying to figure out what was going on but ....everything worked out just fine and we got our bags on the transport to our hotel and were taken to where we were supposed to get the helicopter....we ended up having to wait 40 minutes for the helicopter to come which was very disappointing because we were taking the helicopter so that we could get there faster...this didn't happen, our bags got to the resort way before us....THIS IS NOT THE RESORTS FAULT!!!! This was an error on the part of HELIDOSA!
When we got to the resort we were dropped off in the back and just kinda left there, with no idea how to get where we were going....we just followed the path and found our way eventually but it would have been nice if someone had showed us how to get where we needed to be....oh well...we found it anyway...not too difficult...

When we finally made it inside, we were greeted with a glass of champagne and eventually taken to the club where we did our check in....The people in the Excellence Club - especially Maria, Nicki, Carlos and Roberto (these were the only ones I talked with) were amazing and extremely helpful! We checked in with them and were informed that we had been upgraded to the honeymoon suite, which I had asked for but had not actually reserved...THANK YOU ROBERTO!.....Nicki brought us up to the club lounge and we were served with the drink of our choice and some snacks while they checked that the room was ready for us (this took about 2 minutes) then we were shown to our room and what a beautiful room it was....huge bed, vaulted ceiling, two balconies....one over looking the pool/ocean and the other overlooking the ocean with a hottub on it....spent most of my time on that one as it was more enclosed and larger! The hot tub was amazing (it leaked at first but maintainence was there in a jiffy to fix it). Everything about the room was perfect...no complaints, and although I read some reviews that said there was a smell and brought a plug in for that, there was no smell except that of the ocean and the tropics! OK that's enough about the room, it was amazing.

FOOD
The food was terrific, I was not able to eat at Chez Isabelle as the schedule was a little confusing and it was not open everynight and I was unable to have dinner at The Grill but we ate everywhere else and it was all amazing! I had amazing dinners everynight that I ate and have absolutely no complaints about the food. The Breakfast buffet at Toscana was excellent - we didn't get a chance to eat breakfast anywhere else. Lunch was incredible at both the Grill and Toscana! I really didn't have anything I didn't like...I would have to say my least favorite was Agave although the food was not horrible, it just wasn't too my liking....My husbands favorite restaurant was Spice and the food there was delicious, I really liked Toscana....but no matter what the food you get is delicious and if you don't like something you can order something else...one night we went with friends to spice and ordered the whole left side of the menu and half the right. If you are eating at Spice ask for Victor he is the greatest there....You will have a wonderful dining experience...

DRINKS
The drinks were delicious and plentiful...I did not think that they were too light with the alcohol and they were very quick to serve....I enjoyed the different daily drinks. It was a fun way to start off the day....I especially enjoyed the Sammy Sosa!!! Yummy!!!!

BARS
All of the bars are serviced by terrific people who are there to show you a good time and they do it! The Swim Up Bar, Cafe Kafe, the Martini Bar, the Pool Bar and the Lobby Bar are all terrific! The bartenders there will make sure you are having fun and take great care of you....Say a special Hello to Baurilo....He seemed to be our bartender no matter what bar we went to....

The BEACH
The beach was beautiful and fun but the waves are strong and the rip tide is very powerful...I was still able to go and play in the waves and I had a great time but I would not recommend that anyone go out much past your waste...and if you aren't a strong swimmer, avoid it all together, it is not worth the risk...if you walk down the beach to the right around the point you will find a spot that is kinda enclosed by a coral reef, it is a nice little "cove" and is great for swimming, not much current at all and you can even snorkel there. BUT BE CAREFUL!!!! The ocean is a living thing and it is not something to be ignored...people can get hurt if they aren't careful.....

THE POOLS!!!!
The pools were amazing. Much to my disappointment, I didn't get to spend anytime in the cascade pool or the waterfall, but I did check it out and it was beautiful...I mostly stuck to the main pool on the ocean side of the resort. This pool is incredible...you can float all over the place and that is where the swim up bar is. Also cool that you could float underneath the diners at the grill....we had a lot of fun. Lounge chairs at the pool were hard to come by but if you asked one of the workers they would usually help you....I only had a problem finding a chair one day out of 7 and even that was no biggie....because we shared with another couple and it was fine....the beds were hard to find as well but not impossible, in fact, I found a couple but never ended up wanting to use them because I wanted to be in the sun....

BEACH/POOL TOWELS
OK, we had beach towels in our room everday plus we brought towels from home so we never had a problem...None of the people we met ever had a problem either but I did note that there were a number of towel hogs!! People would take 10-15 towels and go lay them all out on one of the beds and then cover themselves up with two or three and use the rest as pillows! This really bothered me even though it didn't effect me....NOBODY NEEDS 10 TOWELS!!!!!! People need to be less selfish....

CASINO
They tell you right away, the casino is not owned by the resort...when we met with our VIP rep, Jonathan, he told us DO NOT PLAY THE KENO OR ROULETTE!!! These games are apparently rigged.. I didn't play so I don't know but I heard stories and would not recommend taking the chance. I did play blackjack..I won, but I did notice that they didn't play consistently because sometimes the dealer would their first card face up, sometimes down...I have never played anywhere where this was allowed so I was a little skeptical....the choice is yours. My friend did quite well at the black jack table and I was able to play all week with the $40 I started with and still take home $100....I am a five dollar gambler but it was fun and I didn't lose any money

THE DISCO
The disco was fun if you like to go out dancing, usually by that time I was pretty tired but there was a lot of fun stuff going on, I especially enjoyed 70s/80s night...the entertainment staff, especially INEZ and RAUL were terrific! I don't know how they do it, going all day long like they do....There is a lot of fun to be had in the disco

SHOWS....
I missed the Michael Jackson show as I was just too tired but I heard that it was incredible....all the shows were nice and gave you something to do...Karoke was the best as far as I am concerned but that was before the shows. There was a Circus, Magician, Chris Blizzard, and different Dancers. Chris Blizzard was terrific and the rest were OK. But they were fun regardless.

SHOPS
I didn't go to any of the shops on the resort but did walk down to the WalMart plaza on the left of the beach just at the end of the hotel.. It was fun bargaining with the shop people and they did have some fun stuff. Say Hello to Nancy at Nancy's number 6 and also to Chris at WalMart....But be sure to visit all of the little shops just for the ambiance.

EXCURSIONS
We did two....the Carribean Festival (HORRIBLE) and SAONA ISLAND (TERRIFIC).
The Carribean Festival is not what we wanted to do, we wanted to do Marinarium but Jonathan at VIP said that Carribean Festival was better and more fun, all I know is it sucked...the boat people were terrific but you didn't swim with sharks and rays, not really, they said you would get to feed them and they would come up to you, this didn't happen either and anytime someone tried to get close to the sharks they would get yelled at.....For the rays, they lined you up on a wall and came around one by one, put the ray in your hand took a picture and told you to move on...not much fun..
Saona Island was incredible, this is where they filmed blue lagoon...we took a catamaran out to the island and that was really nice then we hung on the beach for a couple of hours and had lunch and played in the water then they loaded us up into speed boats and took us out to a natural swimming area where you could look for starfish....it is sad to see how depleted they are but it is nice to see them and swim around, there is some coral so if you have a snorkel it is cool to snorkel around...then we came home...it was a good trip..

I think I have covered eveything but if there is anything I missed or if you have any questions at all feel free to PM me....

Overall, this was an amazing place, with amazing people who were there to treat you like royalty and they succeeded.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
11  Thank caselaw3
Reviewed 9 January 2008

My husband and I, who are both twenty-four, stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana from Nov. 27-Dec. 4, 2007. We have been on several vacations to beautiful places such as Hawaii and Bermuda, but this was our first all-inclusive vacation. It was also the best time we've ever had on a trip!

We went to the Toscana for the buffet breakfast each morning, and it was very thorough. If you don't find something there that you like to eat...maybe there is something wrong with you?

For lunch we usually did whatever was happening on the beach, be it a barbeque or one of the fun cooking lessons. There were also waiters bringing around nachos and pizzas to those who were just lying on chairs enjoying the sun with no desire to move and find food.

For dinner, the choices are vast. There are several restaurants, of which my favorite was Spice. All of the restaurants were good. If you wanted a more casual dinner, however, there was a guy named David grilling out by the Kafe Cafe each night. He was friendly and his food was yummy. (He had burgers, chicken, ribs, fries, etc.) Also, the room service food is tasty and quick to arrive. We had an ocean view balcony, so the one night of our stay we had an early room service dinner so that we could watch a wedding happening on the beach in front of us. Congrats, whoever you were!

Nightlife

The nighttime entertainment and activities were fun. We went to the disco one night for the pajama party. The shows were enjoyable, also. As does everyone else, we liked the Michael Jackson show the best. Before the shows, though, there is other entertainment that is worth being around for. My favorite evening activity was karaoke night. I don't sing, but watching crazy vacationers sing is hilarious! My husband sang "Piano Man" and he had people stopping him the rest of the night and all the following day telling him how wonderful he had done Case in point being that everyone we ran into was friendly and having a good time.

Bars

The swim-up bar is cool, but my favorite was the Kafe Cafe, because Jose is the best bartender I've ever met! He was friendly, funny, willing to surprise you if you couldn't think of anything to specifically ask for--and his suggestions were always delicious! We stopped at the other bars around the resort sometimes, but mostly we liked Kafe Cafe and the people working there the best. Drinks that I recommend include Sammy Sosa, Coco Loco (comes in a coconut), Dirty Banana, and Rum Punch.

Everything else

We were never bored. Not once. And I get bored very easily. We explored up and down the beach, shopped at the stands of the crazy vendors off to the left on the beach, went horseback riding, played pool and ping pong out in the games hut, fed fish and turkeys in the gardens/jogging trail area. There were peacocks, parrots, flamingos, chickens, ducks, and so many other birds in the gardens/jogging trail area. And, obviously, we hung out in and around the pool and the beach.

That is all! I hope this helps you decide to go to this resort if you are wavering. I have no complaints!

25  Thank woopeedoo
Reviewed 8 January 2008

My husband and I travel a great deal - and this two week vacation was truly amazing. We were blown away be the hotel, the room, pools, staff etc.

When we arrived we were escorted to the "Excellence Check in" (an extra charge but worth every penny!) Roberto checked us in - and was the most efficient, courteous and friendly person. During check in, the staff grabbed us some ice cold beer so we start our vacation right away - again - during the check in!! Roberto remembered our names and would address us at any location in the hotel - nice touch.

The food was really good - and enjoyed the champagne and OJ every morning - nice treat! Loved the French restaruant.

99% of the staff were absolutely great - and provided excellent service. It was very easy to be served beverages (we've been to lots of places where it's been quite the struggle - definately not here).

The one "must do" thing you "have to do" is the Lobster Dinner on the Beach. Truly beautiful...with surprises included. - Again - a must do.

We would definately go back to this hotel - (provided we can leave our daughter at home!) :-)

16  Thank Angela-Randy
Reviewed 7 January 2008

First let me thank all the other reviewers for commenting on this site. We found it extremely helpful in picking our HoneyMoon destination!

Excellence is a jewel! We were treated like royalty through out our stay and Excellence really surpassed our expectations. If you are going for romance, this is the place. It's beautiful!

Our stay began on Nov 11 2007 and lasted through the 18th. We upgraded to the club level. Glad we did as we didn't upgrade to the HoneMoon Package but were GIVEN room 7204-private balcony-6 person hot tub-1 hour couples massage-Private dinner on the beach-champane breakfeast in bed. Unreal!! After it was said and done, we would have upgraded to the HoneyMoon Package rather than the Club Level..but the club people really treated us well. Leave the room and when you came back it was cleaned and ready.

As is said all throughout the reviews-take repellent with deet! Especially if you are wanting to spend time on the beach at night. Don't buy it there, $15 for a small tube.

True, the resort is out in the middle of nowhere, but we were Honeymooning so WHO CARES. The ride really isn't that bad, you are going to paradise so make the most of the ride.

We thought the food was Awsome with the exception of The Lobster House..that was actually awful! French, Asian, and Mediteranian all great at night. The French Resturaunt was the only one we had to wait for at all. Buffets have a very nice selection all the time.

The drinks are very good. If you want something, ask for it. The Sammy Sosa with a little 151..Aaahhhh...nice!

We spent a couple of evenings after the shows in the disco. Interesting place that really relys on the employees to get folks up and going. The pajama party was a good time.

The beach is beautiful although the ocean will kick your butt so be careful! We had no issue with getting a spot on the beach or at the pool. The little canopies are a nice break from a scorching heat.

Have fun, and remember, you're in a third world country and you are going to make the experiance whatever you want it to be. Ours was unforgettable and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple