“Great Honeymoon spot!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great Honeymoon spot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

First of all the staff was amazing!!! Loved being able to order room service whenever we wanted and bottle service was pretty awesome as we'll. 40 minutes from airport was a little annoying but the drive there was beautiful. Bring your own suntan lotion ($30 here) and medication for emergencies. Also bring a raft for the pool they tend to be used up and the ones at the store are pricey. Only a few negatives, some of the restaurants require pants men don't forget to pack them. Another is the nightlife they only have one show and a small "club", wish they had maybe one more show around midnight like a comedian or something but I guess its a honeymoon spot so they assume you take it easy. This resort is technically in uvero alto not punta Cana. On the peak of the island where the resort is located is half Atlantic/Half Caribbean water so it tends to be quite rough & not as blue as in punta Cana. Great couple resort overall. Foods pretty good you won't be stuck eating buffets everyday (9 different restaurants) and all the fresh coconut water right out of the coconut you want, yum!
Loved the all day safari excursion it was well worth the money, all drinks you want included, traditional lunch, and you see so much of the beautiful mountain side.

Room Tip: Over on the right side of the resort, rooms labeled 1-5 (see map on excellence website) is much quie...
3 Thank Allessandra1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,495)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

This resort is definitely Excellent. This was our fourth time to Dominican Republic and our first time to this resort. We are in property management as a profession so any criticism throughout this review is only because we are taught to see everything. It was a pleasure to stay here and we had a great time.

Getting there-
They just opened a new highway which makes the journey about 40 min with no stops. Taxi fare is $70 to two Group transfer is $50 for two.

Rooms-
The rooms are very large. They had a nice large jacuzzi tub, separate shower (with window), and double sink. The beds are very hard. They have a pillow top that you can have put on. I recommend you get two if you like it soft. The pillows are not great. If you are particular I would bring your own. The room comes with a lot of toiletries:
Toothbrush
Toothpaste (Colgate)
Shampoo (smells good)
Conditioner (not good enough for long hair)
Shower gel
Q-tips and cotton balls
Shower cap
Sewing kit
Comb
There is also a hair dryer, iron, and ironing board in the room.
We were in building 4 close to the sports bar. We were on the bottom floor and the room had a hammock off the patio. It looked like all units on the property that were on ground level had a hammock. There are some good reading lights next to the bed. Housekeeping and drink man like to visit the room between 5-7pm which was inconvenient when you were getting ready for dinner. We didn't have a do not disturb card or anything so we felt like they were going to enter if we didn't respond quick enough.

Beach-
The beach was covered in Palm trees and was very beautiful!!!! The sand is nice and soft with no rocks. There were plenty of chairs and palapas to sit under. The water is very rough and the lifeguard is actively watching people. The undertoe is very strong. It's fun to body surf but not calm enough to relax on a floatie. The beach is very big and you can walk up and down for miles. If you prefer privacy you are able to walk down the beach aways and get that.

Food-
You do not have to make reservations at this resort which was a bonus for us. The food in our opinion was ok. I have been to several resorts where the food was better. I was expecting it to be excellent since so any other things were, but it wasn't. I didn't find a single dessert that was good. We are from the south and like good food and didn't find that here. :((
It wasn't gross but nothing that we had was amazing. Out if all the restaurants we found Agave (Mexican) to be the best. They had a couple of restaurants closed for renovation but even with those closed we didn't have to wait long or at all to eat. Our glasses were never empty more than 5 seconds if even at all. The dress code for men is just long pants (jeans are fine). My husband wore nice sandals and that was fine.

Staff
The staff was fantastic. Very friendly and accommodating. From the housekeeping, to activities to food staff, it was all done with excellence. I had a latex allergy (which includes banana, avocado, mango, and kiwi) and they all remembered and made sure that all my food and drinks were free of those things. They even washed the blender out extra well before making my drink. The staff from what I heard lives on property for 12 days and then has a 3 day break. They work crazy long hours and always had a smile. The management was very attentive and present. From the outside looking in it looks very well managed.

Pool and Jacuzzi area
The pool is very nice and clean. The pools close at 6pm which I thought was very strange. We are at the beach all day and like to swim in pool at night, not at this resort. Not many floaties. You might want to bring your own. They are currently building a large jacuzzi area. It looks about a 1/3 of the way complete. The one they have currently is a super small one you would have at your house.

Entertainment
The shows at night were good. The Michael Jackson show was the most fun that we saw. There is a band that plays before the show and after the show and we thought they were very good. You could dance close to where the band was playing. If you wanted to wait until 11 you could dance at the disco. The DJ at the disco was bad. The disco was not crowded any night we were there and it is kinda secluded from main area so I think people kinda forgot about it. .There didn't seem to be fun things to do at night. There was not much to do between 6-9:30. The pool is closed and it's dark on beach.

Spa
We didn't use the spa but the prices were expensive. Usually resorts give 5 min demos in the lobby or in the beach to promote the spa. This resort didn't do that so I almost forgot they had a spa. I think if I would have been tempted with a demo I might have splurged.

Activities
There were LOTS of activities to do at the property.
Archery, bike riding, tennis, basketball, pool, fooseball, ping pong, beach volleyball, pool volleyball, nature walk through gardens, miniature golf, fitness trail, darts, dance lessons, and many many more. None of them were ever pushed on us but they were available if you wanted to do them.

Attire/ other guests
We found that the majority of the guests were over 40. There were some other young couples but not many. Some people dressed up at night but not usually fancier than a sundress. I dress up when we go on adult only trips and kinda felt out of place because it was not the norm. Very few people even in heels. Other resorts we have been to in Punta Cana had topless women on the beach. This resort had ZERO, so if that's your thing, not here.

Grounds
The vegetation is very well maintained. The walkways by the beach are very uneven. The clay tiles are eroding. Warning if you are walking in heels. It's hard not to fall over. I think they are slowly changing them but for the moment they are not cool.

• Stayed December 2013
8 Thank Melreneehayes
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I cannot say enough about how great our Trip was. This was our very first Vacation together and there were very few things that could have made it better.

SERVICE: Very good service for the most part. This is one of the few areas that could have improved slightly. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner were very good. I would have to say the only thing to improve on was the room service and the amount of bartenders. Room Service speed we didn't care about but more the heat of the food. Anytime we got room service the food seemed to be just warm and not hot. As for the bartenders, it was hit or miss. Some of them "like Jose" at the martini bar were AWESOME!! But there were some by the swim up pool bar that lacked enthusiasm. Also, the swim up bar usually had the longest wait times for a drink because of the amount of people there. Probably could have used 1 more person helping out. Overall I give service 4 stars.

Value:
I will give value 5 stars. This was our first vacation together so it is hard to base that on really anything. For 6 nights and airfare we paid roughly $3500 or so for everything so it seemed fine to me. Next year when we do our next vacation I will know more about the value. I guess if you have $3500 to spend on a vacation, this was WELL worth it.

Sleep Quality:
Another area they could improve on. If you like a very very soft bed, you will be disappointed. But, we asked for a pillow-top and that seemed to help. I give it 4 stars but it depends on what type of bed you like. But I slept like a baby. Or maybe we will say a drunk baby most of the time so I didn't really care. The nights I wasn't plowed I noticed it but, lets face it.....we went to get drunk and be on vacation so I didn't care.

Cleanliness:
No complaints here. I don't remember having any issues with this. Staff was there cleaning everyday. Very Very nice staff. They kept everything clean.

Location:
Awesome!! I couldn't ask for anything else. We had never been to the Caribbean before and we loved this spot. Great Beach, Great waves. I love rough waves and they kicked my butt everyday. it wouldn't be fun without that!

Rooms: Rooms were great. I love the window in the shower :) We didn't spend a whole lot of time in there though. 5 Stars. oh and 2 words.......MINI BAR!!!!!! Ask for whatever liquor you want. They will bring it right away.

Beverage selection: I loved it. At home I drink Bud light. When we were there we weren't expecting to have domestic beer anyway. Presidente was good though. If you get heart burn easily, bring something for that. They would make anything you wanted. How could this be bad???

Food:
Again my only complaints were the room service food. Other than that we had no issues. Wonderful tastes. Also, don't go expecting to get american comfort food. You left the US for a reason. Eat something different. 4 stars just due to the room service.

Last, I would like to recommend Andrea Kurschinski from Travel and Transport for an agent. She worked with us and answered any questions we had. When the airline changed our flight she was able to re-book with a different airline and save us $500. Awesome job!! To get ahold of her, her email was akurschinski@travelandtransport.com.

We didn't buy the excellence club. We met some awesome people there that bought it but we didn't see much of an upgrade. Just personal choice.

Room Tip: Junior Swim up suite!!!
2 Thank Ryan D
Thank you for choosing Excellence Punta Cana to celebrate such special occasion as your 3rd wedding anniversary.

It is a pleasure to know that we had the opportunity to host such memorable experience. It is truly rewarding that your stay with us was wonderful and that you were pleased with our resort facilities, food quality and the excellent service provided by our staff. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We will be looking forward to your next visit.
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

The best all inclusive trip that I have ever being to.
We were there on our honeymoon for 14 nights and it was more than awesome. I loved it and strongly recommend it. The food was good, the treatment, service and staf amazing and the entertainment it's unstoppable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AleShale
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Overall I have to say this resort is very, very good. We went from 11/20/13 - 11/24/13

Lets start off with the pool area. It was terrific. Very spacious and had no problems getting chairs. Was never too crowded. We went as a party of 8 and we were always together. Never had any issues.

The waiter service was slow. A lot of time in between drinks so we would order drinks then go to the swim bar and get drinks. This way we doubled up. It was a good 30 minutes between waiters coming. I am nit-picking since it wasn't a bi deal since the pool bar was there.

The pool does close at 6:00 pm. I thought it would be an issue but it really wasn't was pretty much hammered by then so it didn't make a difference to us.

The beach was nice but we had red flags the whole time which means danger. Rough waves and some strong current late in the afternoon. The water was warm though. We did not spend too much time on the beach. The pool was good enough for us. If you are a die hard beach person then you would've been disappointed because of the rough waves.

The food was so-so. The Lobster was absolutely horrible. If you love lobster I would not go there. The Asian restaurant was great. The sushi was phenomenal. Room service was very good too. The pizza and burgers were very good. A couple of the other restaurants were ok but nothing to write home about.

The employees were fantastic. Very nice and very helpful.

Our rooms were nice. We just got a standard room. Had a jacuzzi, nice king size bed, great showers. Air conditioner was pumping out cold air the whole time and the mini bar was always stocked. They also provide full big bottles of wine, rum, etc.

The night entertainment was fun. The Michael Jackson show was great. Very realistic.

To sum it up the only parts that bothered me was the average food but I guess you can expect that from a lot of resorts. I would recommend going.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank spillup24
chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at Excellence from November 18-24. The drive from the airpot was a little nerve wrecking as we were the only ones in the van and the driver was driving a bit crazy. It only took us about 35 minutes. As we arrived they greeted us with Champagne and a refreshing towel. As we checked in we had asked to be in the same building with another couple who joined us and that was quickly arranged. As we went up to the hotel room in building 6 we did find ants on our counter tops as well as in our friends room but one call to the front desk and this was taken care of. I usually don't mind a few bugs since were are in a warm climate but upon our return from dinner we both had the same problem. After a phone call the manager Levy's Perez came to speak to us he assured us that he would take care of the problem and the next morning we were moved to building 5. In building 5 we did not have any problems and we enjoyed the rest of our stay.

The staff is wonderful: Emele and Reynaldo at the front desk made sure that we did not have any other problems and they would ask us when they would see us if we needed anything. Victoria at the Concierge's desk tended to our needs and had our room decorated for our anniversary and made sure that Champagne and fruit was sent up to our rooms. She also arranged our horseback riding tour and breakfast in bed. She would help you with any special requests.

The water was very rough to swim in. We witnessed the lifeguards rescuing 3 people. Actually one event in particular was very nerve wrecking. All day the lifeguard was telling this guy to come in due to the water conditions and he refused to listen to him. When the guy was finally in trouble we witnessed the lifeguard running out with a lifeguard preserver to try to save him. After a few minutes they both were out of our eye sight. We finally witnessed the lifeguard coming back by himself very distraught and exhausted stating that he couldn't help him because the guy was kicking him and trying to bring them both down. He did manage to tie the preserver around the guy and told him to hang tight that he would be back. We couldn't see the guy but a few guests managed to go up lifeguard tower and were able to spot him. About 15 men ran down the beach to try to put one of their boats in the water. The bad thing was that the propeller was not on the boat so they had to wait until the propeller was brought out and put on the boat. They were finally able to put the boat in the water and the lifeguard along with two other workers went out and were able to locate this guy and bring him back. Please if any lifeguard tells you to not go in please listen because you are not only putting your life in jeopardy but also the rescuers that try to go out and rescue you. It doesn't matter how good a swimmer you are these lifeguards know the dangerous water conditions and they are not trying to stop you from having fun it is really a life and death situation. Ismael was the name of the lifeguard and he saved that guys life that day to think that he didn't even thank him when he brought him back is ridiculous. This guy was a real hero that day because he rescued this guys life without thinking about his own. I did talk to the general manager that day and explained that maybe they would be a little bit more prepared if they have wave runners for these life guards to use in case they have to rescue somebody. The whole process just seemed to transpire in slow motion. After speaking to a few people they have actually lost some people due to the water conditions so be very careful.

The food was good we really liked Spice, Agave and the Steak house. We went to Oregano which was just ok because the food was brought to us cold. Toscana had just opened up the last night of our stay but we didn't eat there because they didn't have alot of the entrees on the menu. The nice thing is if you don't like one restaurant you can always walk into another one because you do not need reservations. Breakfast was the same as other all-inclusive resorts. You can't really go wrong with omelets, pancakes and waffles. We also liked the pizzas that they would bring around during lunch time. I also liked the fact that every restaurant had take out containers so if you wanted to pick up a snack to take with you to the beach it was easy to do. Our waiter Edgar at the beach was very attentive. Make sure you take some small bills with you so that you could tip since these guys work really hard. Chely, Luz and Kassandra from the entertainment team were excellent. They always made sure that people were having fun and they weren't too pushy if you didn't want to join an activity.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and would go back if had the opportunity. I do feel that the management team has to update their procedures on safety at the beach. I would really recommend that they get some type of jet skis/wave runners to make it easier for the lifeguards. You can't put a price tag on a human life and just thinking about what we paid for our stay could purchase one.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 5 and this building has just been opened due to renovations. It was right in...
2 Thank dragyn256

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Arriving at the airport, getting the tourist card online allows you to cut to a different line and gets thru quicker. Otherwise, you have to wait behind a plane full of people. And since you disembark the plane by stairs and they make everyone wait to walk into the airport together...it's nice to be able to get around all those folks like we did :)

Upon arrival at the Excellence (which is a 45 min drive)- champagne was poured for us- lovely! Check in was a breeze- they immediately told my mom Happy Bday! The bellman was great at giving us a run down of the resort while taking us to the room. There were balloons in the room for my mom's bday and champagne(great!). The room was lovely (garden view). Shower was great, big jacuzzi bath,wifi in the rooms (all over really) many American channels on tv (in fact, lots of NY feed), hammock b/c we were on the bottom floor, really good a/c, they re-stock the bar and mini bar every day (which is included in the price), pool wraps around the entire resort, there is a 2nd pool on the other end (where the weddings are held), 8 restaurants with good food (gluten free meals clearly marked), lots of bars, room srvc is included, lots of activities, each night there is a different show, nice beach with lots of chairs, tiki huts, beds, etc..., some of the best customer service I've ever encountered, we met awesome guests by the pool, the ocean and in restaurants, 30 mins of horseback riding was included (we enjoyed this!), everything was very hands on. Oh and the massage in the spa was heaven.

The truth is that this is not the Four Seasons (not that I expected it to be)- house cleaning lacked in details ie: sometimes only turning down 1 bed and not both, not leaving wash cloths, etc..
There is some wear and tear on the resort ie: broken tiles, etc... They were doing lOTS of construction on the resort so they are clearly working on things. But we met numerous people who this was their 7th or 9th time returning to this resort having experienced others and this was their favorite by a long shot. None of the above got in my way of enjoying this place. It's pretty close to perfection. The customer srvc really was impeccable.

I would seek out the Excellence if I ever went to Mexico or Jamaica again...and of course back to the DR. I've been to 3 other all inclusive resorts...and this was by far the best all around experience.

Room Tip: Bottom floors have a patio with a hammock, table and chairs 2nd and 3rd floors have a balcony with...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family