“Fabulous time!”

Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Romeoville, Illinois
“Fabulous time!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

The staff was amazing and made our stay fantastic! The accommodations are quite comfy. The only thing that stops me from a 5 star shout out was the quality of the cuisine. I found the food to be edible at best, sadly. Everything else was excellent!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wattsy15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,598)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Went with my boyfriend and two other couples. It was a great trip to get away and relax. Everyone in my party had happy faces throughout our entire stay. Here's the breakdown:

Staff:
Super friendly. When we arrived we were greeted with a glass of chilled champagne and cool towels. The Bell boys got our suitcases and transported them to our rooms after checking in. The check in staff were very accommodating and were able to get me and my friend's rooms that were close to each other. Housekeeping kept our mini bar full stocked everyday. They noticed that we were drinking lots of bottled water and they made sure we had at least 8 bottles stocked everyday. Also they got us fresh towels and amenities when needed. One service that really impressed us was the on site tailor. My boyfriend ripped his dress pants and it was the only pair that he had. We contacted the concierge and they got a tailor to pick up the pants and got them fixed within an hour with no charge! The bartenders mixed excellent drinks and remembered our faces and drink preferences. The waiters in the restaurants provided great service, answered our questions about the food and provided good recommendations on menu items

Rooms:
The rooms were very spacious. My friend got the ground floor room so they had a hammock to relax in. My other friend got a balcony room that overlooked the cascade pool. My boyfriend and I got the top floor and it had vaulted ceilings. Overall the room was clean. I thought the bed would hard based on past reviews but found I didn't have a problem with it at all. Our rooms were located on garden side of the resort so it was much quieter. the jacuzzi tub was a nice addition. The one interesting feature about the room was the bathroom. It has a glass window so you can see everything.

Grounds:
Very impressed by the upkeep of the gardens. The winding walkways throughout the resort was beautiful. There is a garden in front of the lobby where there were parrots that you could feed and flamingos. The pools were very nice. The cascade pool is more quiet and private. The main pool at activities during the day like water aerobics and volleyball. The swim up bar was very convenient to have a drink and still say in the pool. We were able to secure a blue raft and toted our drinks around in the pool. FYI people do hoard the rafts and chairs with shade. Get there early in the morning to secure a prime location for lounging. The beach was beautiful. Clear blue waters. The water was choppy this time of year for swimming but the water was nice and warm. It was nice to sit on the beach and feel a nice breeze.

Activities:
30 min of horseback riding, snorkeling and biking are included. I did the horseback riding and snorkeling. Horseback riding was interesting. Depends on the horse that you get. Mine wanted to get to the front of the pack. You do ride along the beach so you will get splashed by the waves coming in. Overall it was a fun experience. For snorkeling the instructor took us down to an area where the water was calmer. We were allowed to bring bread to feed the fishes. I have done better snorkeling in the past but can't complain since I didn't have to pay anything extra for some fun time in the water. You are handed a schedule of activities for the day. I did archery, played some bingo, and made some beaded bracelets. Nice leisurely activities to relax. They did give away prizes for bingo like spa gift cards and t shirts. The game area was also nice and equipped with ping pong, billiards, air hockey, mini golf, darts. You can also get equipment to play tennis and basketball. At night, they had shows and live music. It was nice to sit around after dinner, have a drink and be entertained. I thought the resort did a very nice job of providing activities.

Food:
I felt the food was hit or miss here. It wasn't phenomenal but it also wasn't too bad. Breakfast and lunch we dined at the buffet in Toscana. A few tips....get the food fresh. Hit up the omelets station for fresh eggs. The food left in the serving bins did not have enough heat so the food tasted a little stale. If you were going to get waffles or pancakes make sure to get the ones fresh off the griddle. I was impressed with their morning juice selection. All kinds and it tasted fresh. For lunch the pasta station is great. They also have a grill station with freshly made kabobs and fish. For dinner we dined at Chez Isabelle, Barcelona, Flavour Market and Spice. I enjoyed Chez Isabelle and Barcelona the best. Flavour Market was small plates. Some plates were really salty and others were ok. My least favorite was Spice. The food was generic Asian and was not very flavorful. Mixed drinks were wonderful! There is always a bar near you to get a nice cold tropical drink.

Extra note:
You get a free welcome photo with a professional photographer. We scheduled our little photo shoot and got dressed up before dinner. You are able to look at the pictures the next day and choose one to be emailed to you for free.

Overall:
I stayed for 4 nights 5 days which I thought was the appropriate amount of time. If I stayed longer I would have liked to book some excursions. Everyone who travelled with me was happy and satisfied throughout the entire trip and returned home relaxed. Definitely would recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Rooms near the Cascade pool side are quieter
11 Thank DrGiggles22
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. On the other hand we are sad to read that our cuisine didn’t meet your expectations. Our Food & Beverage Manager and our Executive Chef have received your feedback and are working on improvements to guarantee our guest the best quality possible.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and returned from our 7 day honeymoon at Excellence PC and it was Excellente (common response from everyone you come in contact with at the resort)!

Let me start by saying I read 8/mo of reviews leading up to our trip. We are first time 'all inclusive-ers' so I don't have anything to compare this trip to other than Royal Caribbean cruises but I'll give a step by step analysis of this trip.

We flew into the DR PUJ airport. This airport has no 'terminals'. It is all open air and a stair car (Bluth Company Style), will attach to the side of the airplane and you will feel the climate change as soon as the door opens. During the flight, attendants will pass out forms to get into the country. No one knows how to fill them out (attendants included) and immigration doesn't really look at them, however you still need one. We bought our $10 tourist visa online (I do recommend) and it probably saved about 10 minutes or so, it could have been more if the line were longer. Keep your passports out and ready to go, they check them several times. Hopefully you've booked a service through Excellence to pick you up and drop you off at this point as about 20 people approached us saying 'where are you going' and 'don't worry I'll take you'. As we turned the corner we saw a taxi driver holding our name and it was the smoothest transition. We didn't book with a transfer service, just a taxi straight through the resort. We didn't have to wait to have other passengers dropped off, it was just us and Edgar in his Toyota Minivan! Wear your seat belt and don't watch how they drive. There are 'policia' everywhere but although Edgar barely spoke English we found out they don't get pulled over for speeding or reckless driving.

Onto the resort - 45 minutes, not a bad drive. As soon as we stepped out of the van we were met by Victor to pick up our luggage and take us to the check in table, Victor is amazing, has a wonderful smile and I had already read great things about him before we left. David checked us in, gave us our room number and within 10 minutes we were sitting down and lunch and our bags were escorted to our room.

The rooms- Yes, the bed was a little more stiff than I'm used to but that would be my only complaint. The rooms were spacious and had great furniture. Updates to the rooms? Mreh... I think everything was in great condition and the rooms had culture and charm. The mini bar is stocked with whatever you want, just ask if you want to switch to a premium liquor. Water is never far from reach and the rain shower was awesome. A common thread of complaints about the window from the shower into the room is pretty ridiculous. This is an adults only all inclusive resort, if you aren't coming as a couple they have rooms with 2 queen beds where the shower is frosted over. If you are coming as a couple, capitalize on the situation ;).

Entertainment- The nightly shows were so/so. Michael Jackson show was excellent, Circus show was good and the Brasil/Burlesque were pretty similar. I would recommend karaoke on the patio after the burlesque show though... Legendary.

Food- Not as good as cruise food, better than Chili's, On the Border and other national chains.
Spice was the most flavorful, get an extra plate of the spring rolls.
Chez Isabelle- get the Chateaubriand, medium.
Oregano- The Spinach Lasagna was so good.
Flavour Market- Let the waiters help you order, or just get 1 of everything. Muscles in vinegar, burger sliders and grandmother's cake were the best.
Lobster House- ehh, sub par.
The Grill- average
Las Olas (on the beach)- fantastic, best brauts we've ever had.
We weren't able to try Agave or the Mediterranean restaurant. Heard we missed out on Agave but not the other.

Pools- Immaculate, abundance of floaties. Chairs do get 'reserved' with towels in the morning and at one point we tried to do the same but someone took ours anyway, we are beach people so we just went out to the ocean. The swim up bar is amazing, ask for extra liquor and they will make their already strong drinks even more so.

Beach- Amazing. Yes strong waves right in front of the resort but if you walk down the beach about 1/4 mile the surf is blocked by a reef and its crystal clear to the bottom and calm waters.

Staff- Excellente! There is nothing that any of them wouldn't do. Visit Garcia in the Agave bar... He is an OKC Thunder fan!!! We wish we would have taken any thunder apparel to give to him.

Excursions- We did Bavaro Splash (snuba diving, snorkeling and speed boats). I highly recommend this excursion. We were able to sit on the bottom of the ocean floor and feed little 'Dory' fish right out of our hands. We also did the dune buggy excursion. This takes you on 3 stops, the Dominican house (haggle to get cigars and MamaJuana), a fresh water cave 28ft deep, jump in-- and Bavaro beach. The waves are far less strong and its a beautiful beach with lush scenery. Bring pencils or coloring books if you can on this trip, I wish we would have known that children wait along the path of the dune buggies for candy or toys.

Tips- Saved this for last. Please tip! No one expects it but its a totally different world and standard of living down there. We took a 100 1's and tipped about all of them before the end of the week. The maids love hard candy so we took Jolly Ranchers (also saw guests leaving toys for the maid's children as well). We left 3-4$ in the room for the maid service daily. We tipped 1-2$ for bar service if they came to us, and sometimes at the bar if we ordered a couple drinks at a time. Like I said, none of them expect it and they are all so grateful when you do tip.

Message me if you have any other questions. Sorry this was a long post but hopefully some valuable info.

OH and take a bunch of hand sanitizer. There were a few people that got sick and passed it around just by not remembering to wash hands or sanitize, they don't 'promote' hand hygiene by leaving sanitizing stations all over the resort.

Room Tip: 8008 was our room. Bottom floor, easy access and very little noise.
25 Thank Haley S
We thank you for having taken time to post a review about your experience at Excellence Punta Cana and for choosing our hotel as your honeymoon destination. We wish you well in this especial step in your lives.

It feels very rewarding to hear that our services have gone beyond our clients expectations. At Excellence Resorts we are committed to provide the best personalized service to our “Stars” on vacation.

We are looking forward to see you again and celebrate maybe one of your wedding anniversaries.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I returned here in March 2014 with two other couples. We all booked Oceanview Suites. Upon arrival, the initial excitement turned to disappointment for one of the couples as their initial assigned room in the lowest level of bldg. 3 did not have an oceanview at all. However, after checking back at the front desk, they were moved to an excellent room in Bldg 2 the next day.
After that, we proceeded to enjoy a fabulous week of mostly sunny weather on one of the nicest beaches my wife and I have been on. Our rooms were just a few short steps away from the vigorous surf. The sandy beach is very wide and super fun to walk on. By being nearly an hour away from the airport, you avoid the local folks pushing trinkets,etc on the beach.
Really enjoy the selection of dining options with no sign ups needed.
We will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors have vaulted ceilings which feels nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Snowbirds-WI
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Firstly, the staff will bend over backwards for you. Probably the best and hardest working team of people I have seen at any Resort.
The hotel itself is somewhat dated. It could use a facelift and new furnishings in the rooms. We paid the additional fee for the Club Excellence, but the room was just so-so. Elevator was out of service most of the time we were at the hotel in our building which meant we used the stairs more than we wanted to.
Pool is nice, beach is nice.
Food was ok. However, both my wife and I picked up a stomach bug on our 5th day which really put a damper on our final 2 days. We are convinced it was food we had at the Beach Restaurant during lunch. That restaurant gets a lot of use, a lot is self service and is not all that clean. We are both now on antibiotics fighting some stomach distress.
I did a lot of research on facilities in the DR and Excellence came off as highly rated. I'm not that hard to please, but this facility is just OK. I really expected more.

3 Thank Sam K
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.
We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

We are very much concerned by your review since at Excellence Punta Cana we have high hygienic standards and our staff is well trained on this food & beverages safety practices. The resort undergoes continuous evaluation from external recognized institutions in order to accomplish this goal.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Excellence Punta Cana was...excellente. From the moment we reached the resort (cool towels and champagne) to the day we left we never enjoyed ourselves more on a vacation.
We arrived at the Punta Cana airport a little nervous, but after reading other reviews had purchased our $10. fee to enter the country online and we zipped through. We were in our van in less than a half hour and at the resort in another 40 minutes (that was including one stop). Also, we welcomed getting out of the plane and walking to a bus in the warm Atlantic air. Not a hassle at all.

During our stay at Excellence we enjoyed walking the beach (goes for miles both ways) in the morning. We then had breakfast and found our chairs ( in abundance)on the beach for most of the day. Waiters on the beach are numerous, your glass need never be empty. The water was great!! We used the boogie boards one day. That is definitely worth trying.

We ate at various places for lunch but enjoyed the specials of the day on most days at the Las Olas. By late afternoon we were ready for some fun in the pool and spent the rest of our afternoons floating (floaties are available 1st come 1st serve, but someone is always sharing) and enjoying meeting great people by the pool bar.

For dinner, unfortunately, we were not there long enough (8 days) to enjoy all the restaurants, but we enjoyed every place we picked. The food was Fabulous at all restaurants!!! And a BIG bonus No reservations needed. Our favorites were the Lobster House and Chez Isabelle (French).
Dessert was just a little disappointing... not much for chocolate there. lol

Our room was great! We had a garden/mountain view room. Beautiful and quiet. The room was large with a vaulted ceiling and had everything you could need, including a well stocked mini bar and snacks. The only complaint we have is that the king size bed was a little too hard, but not awful. We were on a anniversary trip and we were treated to champagne, fruit and breakfast on the balcony. (we skipped the romantic dinner since we were traveling with another couple)

The staff at Excellence was just that. At every restaurant, bar or front desk they were definitely there to make your stay the best. A shout our to Isael and Kassandra who were exceptional and always there to help and chat.

Entertainment nightly in the main lounge was very good. Not cheezy like other resorts we have stayed at. And the guy on the sax, at the martini bar, great!

We did only one trip during the week and that was snorkeling with the stingrays and nurse sharks. It was also great fun. Not so much in a congested bay to swim and drink with a ton of other people, but still fun. We arranged this at the resort thru our travel agents.

Don't forget to walk the grounds they are beautiful and tranquil.

We did go to the local Walmart, Kohls etc on the beach but did not buy. It was fun just to go check it out. We did do our shopping on the resort grounds, a little pricey but we had already decided to not go into town so that was the choice we made.

My last comment is to not waste your money on the Excellence Club. We didn't meet anyone who thought it was worth it.

This was one great vacation we will never forget.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank LilyinWisconsin
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Let me start off by saying we got married at another resort on the island and came here for our honeymoon portion.
The resort we got married at was AMAZING so when we got to this resort, we were truly let down...
We arrived during a rush(which im sure is typical) and we were part of the excellence club. As we got off our transfer, we were directed to the desk in which the guy standing behind basically handed us a paper then pretty much poured champagne into a glass.. told us to grab a cold towel and told us to grab champagne. What kind of service is that? Our other hotel very kindly handed us these 2 items in a very welcoming, polite way. THIS RESORT? It was more a check-list reaction to give us these items rather than a "want" to do it for you. In fact, they didn't even do it for us.. we had to pick up our own items. Then we were brought to a room with 3 other couples part of the excellence club where we checked in. Then we were brought upstairs in a dark, cold room with a mini buffet while we waited for our room. This completely turned us off! Who wants to sit in a dark, air conditioned room after you've been in planes and transfers all day? Personally, I want some fresh air and the ability to walk around a tiny bit. Not exactly luxurious. Then, we waited about 40 minutes for our room to be ready (oh, we arrived at 3pm... not exactly early) and we were called to go with another couple who demanded they wait for their drink!!!! Drinks are all over the resort.. and we had to wait for this couple to be served their drink before WE could be brought to our room. What kind of PRIVATE check in is that? Not one at all.
We arrived at a room.. a honeymoon rooftop terrace. Room was nice, but needed more lighting and STUNK! They provided incense, but personally.. I think they were contributing to the nasty build up of smell in the room. We left our porch door open to air it out a bit. They need a new technique to combat the smell.
Our other resort, the workers constantly asked how we were doing and always checked up on us. This resort? We saw no one. We spent THOUSANDS on our room.. which you would think they would maybe go out of their way to check on those guests. There's not many of these rooms in the resort... so maybe they should show their appreciation of those guests who spent tons more to stay there. We had a guy knock on our door twice in one night to ask if we wanted turn down service. Again, it was more of a check list reaction than a true desire to help us. The bed was hard in this room, too. You would think they would upgrade the beds in the 20 or so special rooms. Luckily, I like a harder bed so it did not bother me.

The good thing about this resort? The food was actually a little better.. and I'm from the NJ, Philly, NY area. The meat was pretty good here (better than our other resort). There were always places on the beach and by the pool to sit.. we never had to wake up early to reserve something. The view from the beach was gorgeous, with the miles of untouched palm trees curving around the island with no other resort in sight.

Maybe I was a little spoiled from my wedding resort.. maybe my expectations were too high.. or maybe this place is just truly in need of some management restructuring.. but I can 100% say I would never come back. My husband actually counted down the days until we got to go home!

3 Thank Janessa C
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Punta Cana to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that our service was not of your full satisfaction. Although at Excellence Resorts, each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.