“Horrible service, mosquitos and food poisoning”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #13 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Staten Island, New York
“Horrible service, mosquitos and food poisoning”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was extremely dissatisfied with my stay at excellence punta cunta 5/27 - 6/2/14. Prior to arriving, I was so excited for this trip as myself and my boyfriend were going to be celebrating my 30th birthday. I had researched many different hotels in punta cana and refuse to stay in any establishment that it is related atleast 4 stars. My previous stays in punta cana were at Iberostar Grand Bavaro hotel in 2012 (absolutely amazing resort) and Melia Caribe Tropical, which was decent prior to my stay at Excellence.

1 - When we arrived we were asked if we wanted to upgrade. I did not since I felt it was unnecessary, as we had stayed at Excellence Riviera Cancun the year prior and did not upgrade and had a great stay.

2 - Our room - Ok.....curtains to the balcony were dirty. The balcony screen door was old and did not easily close or open. The coffee maker was disgusting - dirty beyond any cleaning (where you put the water in). Needless to say we did not use it.

3 - Noise - housekeeping staff was very attentive but so noisy at all hours from 7am to 9pm.

4 - Service - room service was horrible. They would always give you a time when you would receive your order. It never came it that amount of time, always late and they even forgot items that we had ordered.
When we went to the grill - they asked for our room number and the woman told us that there were no tables available at the moment and we could have a seat at the bar for now. As we were sitting at the bar the hostess seated another couple. I was appalled and felt very disrespected. My boyfriend asked her what the issue was and if we needed reservations. She became very defensive and said if we wanted a romantic dinner we would have to speak with the concierge. That's not what we wanted, we just wanted to eat!
Our next meal was at the flavor market - it was ok, octopus was very fishy and not cleaned properly
Our meal at barcelona was by far the worst - I ordered the suckling pig and was served a large piece of pork fat with it's skin barely cooked with hair still on it - absolutely disgusting. Hence I did not eat it and ordered something else that was also so-so.
The only meal that was decent was lobster house.
I am just not sure as to why every time you go to eat anywhere they need to ask you for your room number?? Do people that do not upgrade get served disgusting food on purpose?
I even called the mini-bar people one night to ask to cranberry juice, the response - O, no, you can't have cranberry juice, that's only for excellence club guests. REALLY? IT'S CRANBERRY JUICE!!!!!!

The mixed alcoholic beverages were horrible and I had to resort to just drinking cheap wine or Presidente, because that's the only beer that they offer.

Every staff member walks around and is trained to say "Excellente". Very annoying when the establishment is far from "Excellente".

You think that you spend $3500 for two people (including airfare) for a vacation the resort you choose should be amazing and you should have a great time. So upset, angry and frustrated. I felt like a second class citizen because I did not upgrade. Yes I had the money to upgrade but I do not need to feel like I am some special person but I do expect "EXCELLENT" service from a resort that won a trip advisor award last year.

The mosquitos were plentiful and destroyed my boyfriend's time. All the spraying they do every evening does not do anything, nor do you warn anyone to stay indoors during the pesticide spraying.

The last 2 days we both spent in the bathroom, evacuating our entire gastrointestinal systems. Whatever they are serving is making the guests sick and is inedible.

The beds are also inhabitable, as they are probably just as old as I am and hard as a rock. I was surprised I did not wake up in the morning with pressure ulcers.

The location of the resort is extremely far from PUJ airport, at least 45-50 minutes away and there are no other resorts around it. Not much to around there.

As a health care professional, I am fully aware of how to treat people and maintain a level of respect for all individuals. If I treated my patients the way I was treated at your resort I would be fired and most likely written up to the department of health for inappropriate behavior.

7 Thank Melanie C
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.
We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

At Excellence the wellness and safety of our guests is very important. As part of the Health and safety strict programs established at the resort the property undergoes daily fumigations. The hotel counts with a specialized fumigation company that applies the latest indoor and outdoor products not harmful to humans and uses modern fumigation equipment to implement this daily process. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

We are very much concerned by your review since at Excellence Punta Cana we have high hygienic standards and our staff is well trained on this food & beverages safety practices. The resort undergoes continuous evaluation from external recognized institutions in order to accomplish this goal.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,602)
  • Korean first
Conneaut, Ohio
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We just returned from our 5 day/4 night stay at Excellence Punta Cana (May 31 - June 3, 2014) and this was our first all-inclusive vacation. Back in February, we started researching many locations and reading reviews, sorting through all resorts and comparing features and ultimately decided to book here - And I'm so happy we did! We chose the Excellence Club Junior Suite with Ocean View room package.

From the food at the restaurants, the drinks at the bars and the service from ALL of the employees, I don't think we could've picked a better resort to enjoy beautiful weather, the hot sun and a relaxing atmosphere. While staying at the resort, we met one rather outstanding entertainment employee - Jhonatan Montero. The first night that we stayed out, we caught the end of the resort's Michael Jackson tribute show and afterwards, a band played some great throwback music with a Caribbean feel to it. While watching, Jhonatan came up and introduced himself and then took my wife by the hand to start dancing. His entertainment partner, Ana, then came and snagged me up for a dance, too. We both had such a blast, even though I'm a horrible dancer, but she made me feel comfortable and showed me some new moves! Over the next few nights, Jhonatan made sure we were in the loop with the activities that were going on and even selected us to take part in a weekly show they have at the resort called "Men vs. Women." Without making this review anymore long-winded than it already is, the game was extremely fun and hilarious and in the end, we won a pass for a free photography package from the resort.

All in all, we were definitely not ready to leave when our day came around. We're already looking forward to our next trip to the Dominican Republic and it will definitely be at the Excellence Punta Cana - No doubt! We'll see you soon, Jhonatan, Ana, Julio (Clap! Clap! Clap!) and all of the other wonderful staff!

Room Tip: I'm not sure that you could get a bad room here, to be honest, but we would definitely favor a P...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Killbuck, Ohio
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We arrived on Monday May 19th in the afternoon and had to wait about 30 minutes for our room to be done, but that was okay it gave us a chance to walk around and look things over. This was our first trip to this resort, we stayed at the one in Mexico last year and a much better experience.

Room: The room was nice with the EXCEPTION it was hardest bed I have ever slept in, and when we ask for the "pillow top" they brought what was the equivalent of a mattress pad, I believe they ended up putting three on the bed and it was still very uncomfortable. We were in building 2 with a swim up. The outside of the swim up was very cramped and not comfortable to be at so we spent our time at the lower area of the cascade pool. Mini refrigerator were stocked daily and so were the snacks they left.

The beach was very pretty but has sand fleas. Plus the red flags were out everyday that we were there. So we did not spend time on the beach.

We tried to have dinner on the beach the night of our anniversary, but the mosquito's were terrible and also again the sand fleas. I guess it is a sign when they bring you a can of OFF to use while you are waiting on your dinner. We had them bring our dinner to our room.

The food was good, our favorite was the Flavor Market. We did not like the Spice restaurant the others were good. The service for us was very good, we did tip our servers. With this being an all inclusive we figured that we should give our servers good tips. Which we also would receive good service for.

There is one review about the bugs, and they are real--my legs were bitten badly but I went to there pharmacy store and bought a tube of cream to help with the itching and it did cost $20.00. WE ran into other couples that were like us one with bug bites and the other had none. We would enjoy the pools during the day and then eat dinner early and go back to our room. My husband did not want me to get bitten anymore.

My reaction to the bug bites was so bad my husband ask about seeing the doctor and they said it would cost $125 to see him.

We made the best of what we had, but we will not go back. Time to spend more in the USA.

Room Tip: We were building 2 and every night from about 8:00 pm until morning we had a very loud frog. We kept...
4 Thank ljrocks
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us. All our Excellence Resorts are designed with a different personality, but always with the same high standards. We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

At Excellence Punta Cana the wellness and safety of our guests is very important. As part of the Health and safety strict programs established at the resort the property undergoes daily fumigations. The hotel counts with a specialized fumigation company that applies the latest indoor and outdoor products not harmful to humans and uses modern fumigation equipment to implement this daily process.

Nevertheless we do hope that despite the inconveniences you had through all your stay with us, you can give us the opportunity to welcome you again in order to have the chance to show you the real meaning of service that you expect from us.
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I will refrain from using the term 'excellente' that you will see numerous times throughout these reviews! My boyfriend and I stayed here from May 26 - May 30 and had a great vacation. We wanted to get away, have some alone time and just relax and that is exactly what we did. Normally I write long reviews but rather than repeat the same things over and over again, I'll keep this one short. For the most part, may of the reviews are accurate except from the sour pusses who found any and everything to complain about.

Airport: we purchased the tourist card online but we picked a great time to arrive because there really wasn't a wait so wasn't necessarily needed. My advice would be to buy online just in case. It's a bit chaotic and not clear as to what to do if you have it and there weren't any agents around when we got there. So, IF you have your card already, skip the first line where you see the booth that has the $10 USD sign and go to the 2nd set of booths to the LEFT of the first one. That is the customs booth and the baggage area is directly behind it. We were in/out of the airport w/in 30 minutes!

One thing I will mention regarding the airport is we arranged private transportation with Gobecon (great, by the way) and once we got our bags to exit the airport, someone came up saying he was with transportation and had to 'check us in' to make sure everything was ok. I kept telling him we had transportation and they said they would be waiting OUTSIDE but he insisted. After a minute or so, I remembered from our transportation confirmation that some may stop you and say your transportation isn't coming or some other scam to get you to come with him. So I just grabbed our paper and we walked out. Our driver was waiting for us and we headed to the resort. It was about a 35 minute drive and did not seem long at all.

Resort: The towel/champagne has been mentioned ad nauseum so I'll proceed. Our room wasn't ready so we went to The Grill to eat. They had us 'tag along' with another bellman showing others their room so we didn't get the layout of the resort pointed to us. Once he reached the Excellence Club, he basically pointed us down a hall and said keep walking until you get to building 11! Like others said, the grounds are beaufiful.

Room: I had no problems with the room. We were on the ground floor and saw not one bug, ant, etc. I brought Damp Rid that hangs in the closet just in case the rooms were damp (as some ocean resorts are) but never had an issue. I emailed ahead of time asking for a pillow topper but never checked if we had one to be honest because the bed slept fine to us. Yes, the shower/toilet is see through. You either like it or you don't. We liked it! :) The air was freezing the first day and then just comfortable the remainder of the stay but nothing for us to complain about. I was surprised that there were that many English speaking channels on the flat screen. Just thought I'd point that out.

Pools: Nothing to say except excellent! (Ok, ok, I said it!) I've never been to a resort with a pool that long. As with other resorts, it is annoying when you're looking for a place to sit and there are chairs after chairs available but towels and sunscreen thrown on them and no one in sight for days. But the pool is so huge, it wasn't really that big of a deal. And if it's just a towel holding it, move it!

Beach: BEAUTIFUL! Yes, rough but it is what it is. We didn't spend too much time there other than quiet walks and to sit and stare. Great views.

Food: When you are catering to people en masse, you can't please everybody. PERIOD. Will you starve? Absolutely not. Will you get sick? Maybe, but the same could happen at a restaurant in your country. Could the food taste differently than what you are used to? Possibly because it's being prepared in a different country. We mainly did Toscana. My boyfriend likes to eat and is impatient and doesn't like to wait for service in the restaurants so that kept him happy! The curry grouper they served for lunch one day was AMAZING! I'm salivating just thinking about it. We grabbed pizza to go from Oregano after the show one evening and it was REALLY good (or I had too much to drink, not really sure at this point). I love seafood so was looking forward to the Lobster House. It was ok. The beach dinner fills quickly so get there early or you'll be eating after the show is over. The pool dinner was nice and relaxing. I got hooked on the shrimp fajitas and garlic shrimp from room service. Got it three nights in a row. MMMMMMMM!

Shows: typical cruise/resort type shows. It was entertaining, some better than others.

Bars: PLENTIFUL. Never a wait anywhere except for the swim up bar. That's the only bar that is truly on island time! For the people who complained about bar service....REALLY? There are TEN! Enough said!

Sports bar: hidden gem. Knew it was there just didn't know where! Finally found it on day three behind the cascade pool (another hidden gem). We played pool, air hockey (although they definitely need to invest in a new one), miniature golf and basketball. I wish we hung out there a lot more, especially in the evening. Maybe it was a bit livelier then.

Mosquitoes: I think I was bitten once. The entire time. So could there be an infestation? Possibly, but we never ran into ANYONE that mentioned issues with them. The two bottles of spray I brought went unopened. Hmmm, I should have stood outside their shops and sold them for $10 each! :)

Club: I THINK I had a great time there! I remember going TO the club but it gets a bit fuzzy while I was there and I don't even remember leaving! So I think that makes for an automatic great time! It wasn't crowded and you actually forgot that you were on a resort. I read a review where it said after 11 there's no night life. Most probably forget that the club (or Disco) is even there because it's towards the main entrance of the resort. So there is definitely something to do until 2am if you want to do it.

Overall, we had a great time. I like to try different resorts if I return to the same location so for that reason alone, I would probably try something different if I returned to DR but Excellence made such an impression on us that we are already looking into the Cancun locations for a trip in August.

Shout out to Kassandra from activities. Such a sweetheart and either loves what she does or fakes it very well! :)

Room Tip: Low number rooms are near the cascade pool which was much quieter. Ground floors have patios/hammock...
11 Thank Bmorechick
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We've been to another Excellence resort, the Beloved in Cancun previously, which is why we picked Excellence Punta Cana.
We weren't disappointed when we arrived and received the usual cool towels and champagne welcome. We were directed to the Excellence club to check in. Once they found out we were on our honeymoon (and that we were staying more than 7 days), they said we got a free massage, breakfast in bed, and a romantic dinner, all included. We didn't take them up on the breakfast since the breakfast at Toscana was so amazing, but we did the massage and dinner. The free massage was very basic (feet, hands, arms and head), I think they were just trying to get us to upgrade (we ended up booking a separate full massage later in our stay, since that was what we were planning on anyway). The romantic dinner on the beach was nice, we got to choose from several meal choices when we booked it. The massage we paid for was very nice, and came with their therapeutic water treatment, which is basically a set of showers, saunas and water pools that you go through. It takes about an hour, and we did it right before the massage.
The grounds were beautiful! Our favorite part was the garden, a great place to walk around, take photos and feed some animals. There were flamingos, ducks, cranes, turtles, and geese (watch out for those guys, they'll follow you!). We loved feeding the turtles, and the flamingos were pretty awesome too. On the other side of the garden are two giant parrots that you can hang out with and take pictures with. The staff were always maintaining the grounds. Every day you would see them doing some sort of gardening or maintenance.
The shops there are fairly nice, and the souvenir stuff wasn't too pricey. Don't forget your sunscreen though, because its $30 in their store!
Our room was great, ocean view. King size bed was fine, nothing glamorously soft. Mini bar was restocked as often as we let them clean the room, and they started giving us extra of snacks that we were clearly eating. I just read another review mentioning bugs, and we didn't see a single one during our 10 day trip. (though, we did get bug bites outside when we went to dinner!)
The most memorable meals were definitely breakfast and lunch at Toscana. They have a buffet for both meals. Breakfast was always perfect, there was a huge selection of all different types of breakfast food--pancakes and waffles, eggs, meat, fruit, pastries, yogurt, cereal. Basically anything you might ever want for breakfast. Lunch also had a ridiculously large selection of foods--from sushi to pizza to soup to salad to traditional dominican food.
My husband is kind of picky when it comes to food, so we did not try all of the restaurants, but our favorite for dinner was probably The Grill, where we both got steaks. Unfortunately, I did get sick while we were there--it was after eating at Las Olas, the beach grill. Not sure what happened, but I got sick and the husband didn't . It has lasted until after we got home. We were even so careful with the water as to brush our teeth with bottled water but.. it could have been something in the meat at the grill...
Even having stomach issues, I still had a great time. We did the horseback riding that is included in the stay--it was okay. The whole group just rides down the beach together kind of getting splashed by the waves. I didn't even get to ride with my husband for most of it, since our horses didn't seem to care where they walked. At the end they try to sell you a bottle of mama juana and a cd with your photo on it.
The pool and beach were very well maintained. I'm sure others have mentioned that most guests have a tendency to claim beach/pool beds with towels for hours while they are not there. We even saw people claim a second set of beds, one in the shade and one in the sun, while they went in the pool. People will also hog the pool floaties.
The service at the pool and beach is good, but at the pool its sometimes more fun and a little faster to just go to the bar yourself, especially if you're near the swim up bar. Definitely get a coco loco in a coconut!
The entertainment in the evenings was fun. We went to several shows including Brazil, Circus and Burlesque. The circus one was our favorite, they had some very cool tricks. The service at the theater was excellent.
If you can, I would definitely recommend upgrading to the Excellence Club. The Club itself is lovely. They are pretty much always open with snacks and drinks available, and always have a sweet food tasting every week. You can go the the Club to print out boarding passes, and the concierges there are there form 7-11. Gerson was really helpful! Our room was fairly close to the Club, so we could just go down there to grab a cup of iced tea and a sandwich whenever we felt like it.
Overall, we had an excellent time!

5 Thank lizpan
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just returned from a 7 night 8 day trip to this resort, and I gotta say that overall it was a great experience. I traveled with my long term boyfriend (we are in our mid 30's to early 40's) and another couple and we really have no complaints about this resort. It isn't as posh as some places we have stayed (I think our favorite so far is the ROYAL in Cancun) but the friendliness of the staff and laid back atmosphere more than made up for it. We stayed in Room 4009 in building 4 by the quiet pool and were very happy with our location. This room was on a corner so no neighbors on one side. It was very quiet, but very close to the sports bar and steps away from the quiet pool area, which we enjoyed when we needed a break, and not far at all from the main areas where the action takes place. The beach is huge and beautiful. You don't share it with any other resorts and there is a lot of palapas so finding a shady spot is not hard regardless of time of day. Water is a bit rough but fun to splash around in and warm! If you want calmer water, walk down to either point and you will find it. Beach is kept very clean as is the rest of the resort. As mentioned by many other reviewers, this is an older resort, but any issue that we had with the room (all minor) were fixed literally within 5 minutes of us calling for service. Top shelf alcohol here is plentiful and you can find pretty much any brand that you would be able to get here in the states with no problem. If you want something made a certain way (I am really picky about my margaritas: they should have only good tequila, fresh lime, agave, triple sec and ice) just ask and the staff and they will make you whatever you want! The shows are pretty standard fare for an AI but we enjoyed all the ones that we were able to see, especially the circus show, after which the Michael Jackson one is a close second. The resort does a great time providing late evening activities, which are sometimes lacking in higher end AI resorts, but here, there was always live music before/after the show, and sometimes even a whole second show such as the flair bar tending show, or dancing. What really shone here, though, was the hard work put in by the entertainment staff. These guys are just wonderful and really work hard to make your experience a positive one. This place also has a TON of restaurants. Lunch options are limited to the Grill on the beach, which had pizzas, burgers and some awesome daily specials such as seafood paella, the main buffet, which had lots of options or the restaurant next to lobster house, which had some awesome seviche, and Sancocho (Dominican stew). For dinner, there are more options than you can sample in one week's time, but all the places that we did try were great. Favorites were Spice for tapas, the French restaurant (try the chateaubriand - its amazing), and of course the lobster house, as well as Oregano's for late night snacks such as a very good lasagna bolognese or pizzas. Be aware that some of the descriptions are off a bit and keep an open mind and you are sure to find some great options. Skip any sort of cream based soup, for some reason, the chefs there don't use cream in them so what you get is very different than what you would expect, but do try any of the local stews, which were all wonderful.
TIPS:
DO bring lots of sunscreen and bug spray. The sun here is intense and you want to reapply often, and there are quite a few mosquitoes due to all the ponds and lagoons.
DO bring some pepto and immodium just in case. Always smart when travelling, though none of us had problems.
DO know that the "birds" you hear late at night in the halls are actually a recording meant to keep real birds or bugs out. If they bother you, ask concierge and they WILL turn them down.
DO try a Coco Loco from any of the pool bars, they are awesome!
DO bring tip money. The staff here works SO hard and a few dollars here and there really make the service level even better!
DON'T expect things to be exactly as they are in the states. Keep an open mind and you can't go wrong at this gorgeous resort.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, pick buildings 2, 3 or 4 by the cascade pool. Lower level rooms are aweso...
9 Thank kk79
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Couldn't have been happier with the resort. Staff was very accommodating and friendly. Never was hungry and drinks were always full. Beautiful Resort. Will be going back I guarantee it. I highly recommend Spice as a restaurant to go to.

2 Thank Matt S