I was extremely dissatisfied with my stay at excellence punta cunta 5/27 - 6/2/14. Prior to arriving, I was so excited for this trip as myself and my boyfriend were going to be celebrating my 30th birthday. I had researched many different hotels in punta cana and refuse to stay in any establishment that it is related atleast 4 stars. My previous stays in punta cana were at Iberostar Grand Bavaro hotel in 2012 (absolutely amazing resort) and Melia Caribe Tropical, which was decent prior to my stay at Excellence.
1 - When we arrived we were asked if we wanted to upgrade. I did not since I felt it was unnecessary, as we had stayed at Excellence Riviera Cancun the year prior and did not upgrade and had a great stay.
2 - Our room - Ok.....curtains to the balcony were dirty. The balcony screen door was old and did not easily close or open. The coffee maker was disgusting - dirty beyond any cleaning (where you put the water in). Needless to say we did not use it.
3 - Noise - housekeeping staff was very attentive but so noisy at all hours from 7am to 9pm.
4 - Service - room service was horrible. They would always give you a time when you would receive your order. It never came it that amount of time, always late and they even forgot items that we had ordered.
When we went to the grill - they asked for our room number and the woman told us that there were no tables available at the moment and we could have a seat at the bar for now. As we were sitting at the bar the hostess seated another couple. I was appalled and felt very disrespected. My boyfriend asked her what the issue was and if we needed reservations. She became very defensive and said if we wanted a romantic dinner we would have to speak with the concierge. That's not what we wanted, we just wanted to eat!
Our next meal was at the flavor market - it was ok, octopus was very fishy and not cleaned properly
Our meal at barcelona was by far the worst - I ordered the suckling pig and was served a large piece of pork fat with it's skin barely cooked with hair still on it - absolutely disgusting. Hence I did not eat it and ordered something else that was also so-so.
The only meal that was decent was lobster house.
I am just not sure as to why every time you go to eat anywhere they need to ask you for your room number?? Do people that do not upgrade get served disgusting food on purpose?
I even called the mini-bar people one night to ask to cranberry juice, the response - O, no, you can't have cranberry juice, that's only for excellence club guests. REALLY? IT'S CRANBERRY JUICE!!!!!!
The mixed alcoholic beverages were horrible and I had to resort to just drinking cheap wine or Presidente, because that's the only beer that they offer.
Every staff member walks around and is trained to say "Excellente". Very annoying when the establishment is far from "Excellente".
You think that you spend $3500 for two people (including airfare) for a vacation the resort you choose should be amazing and you should have a great time. So upset, angry and frustrated. I felt like a second class citizen because I did not upgrade. Yes I had the money to upgrade but I do not need to feel like I am some special person but I do expect "EXCELLENT" service from a resort that won a trip advisor award last year.
The mosquitos were plentiful and destroyed my boyfriend's time. All the spraying they do every evening does not do anything, nor do you warn anyone to stay indoors during the pesticide spraying.
The last 2 days we both spent in the bathroom, evacuating our entire gastrointestinal systems. Whatever they are serving is making the guests sick and is inedible.
The beds are also inhabitable, as they are probably just as old as I am and hard as a rock. I was surprised I did not wake up in the morning with pressure ulcers.
The location of the resort is extremely far from PUJ airport, at least 45-50 minutes away and there are no other resorts around it. Not much to around there.
As a health care professional, I am fully aware of how to treat people and maintain a level of respect for all individuals. If I treated my patients the way I was treated at your resort I would be fired and most likely written up to the department of health for inappropriate behavior.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Savannahville Tours N.V., Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence