Excellence Punta Cana
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$249
US$196
  • Breakfast included
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$371
US$261
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$253
BahiaPrincipe
  • Pool
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$391
US$293
US$437
US$428
Bookit.com
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$433
US$325
Melia.com
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$280
US$261
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$331
US$248
US$771
US$578
Orbitz.com
13,999 results
All reviewscascade poolthe grillchez isabellelobsterour honeymoonflavor marketmartini barlas olashorseback ridingswim up barsax playerfrench restaurantbug sprayred flaggreeted with champagneride from the airportother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Location in Punta Cana is beautiful. Food I thought was NOT good..........service was marginal. We upgraded to the Excellance club level when we got there and didn't get many of the upgrades promised. Be careful on the excursions....we did a catamaran which I usually LOVE....this one was horrible....called BEBE.....music was rap offensive...crew was obnoxious

Room Tip: Ocean view only way to go
4  Thank Theresa K
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

On the other hand, we would to mention that our resort does not operate any tours or excursions.

Please receive our warmest regards from the Caribbean.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Overall, I really enjoyed our stay at the Excellence. We did not choose to do an upgraded room because we knew that we would be spending most of our time outside or wandering the resort, but we were very impressed with our junior suite room.

Room:
Beautiful. Updated vanity, jacuzzi tub and rain shower in the bathroom. Nice sofa, and a comfortable bed (hard mattresses are my personal preference, so if you like a soft mattress it may not be great for you). There is a small outdoor space that includes a table, two chairs and a hammock, and there is a small line of flowering bushes separating us from the neighbors. Cozy place to take a nap. Mini-bar was nothing special, but it was enough to entertain us between meals and trips to the pool.
There were a few small things that could use an upgrade, but overall it was a very nice presentation when we first arrived. The toilets/bathroom situation were a little bit odd. You can hear everything that is happening in the bathroom because there is a window into the shower. The toilets are also pretty low pressure, so that caused a few awkward moments through the trip. :)

Pools/Beach:
GREAT! Pool was nice and warm, but not too warm. Great escape from the hot sun. Plenty of beach chairs, but all of the chairs in the shade are unavailable from about 11am-5pm. You have to be out there early. Pool floaties are also a hot commodity. They do a good job of keeping people from hoarding pool floats or chairs. If you leave your stuff behind and take your sweet time coming back they will remove it and take it to lost and found so that other people can have a chance to get in the sun. Drinks are always a few steps away and there are waiters walking by to keep you happy every few minutes.
Beach is very nice and not overly crowded. Water is a little rough, but that isn't the resort's fault.
Only downside is that the pool is only open from 10 or 11am to 6pm every day. You really have to plan your meals around how much time you want to be in the sun.

Food:
I am personally a very picky eater, so I had a little bit of trouble here. My husband really enjoyed everything that he ate with the exception of the Lobster House restaurant. We loved the steaks at the Grill for dinner and the lunch buffet at Toscana was great. Top notch desserts all over this place! Plenty of options and I was told on our last day that I could have made a request at any restaurants and if the ingredients were available they would try to put it together for me. STRONG DRINKS! Room service was so-so.

Service:
Overall we had very good service. There were a few waiters/waitresses here and there that weren't as pleasant as others, but we were very satisfied. For whatever reason it seemed that we got better service when the restaurants were busy than when we were some of the only people there. They appreciated our awful attempts to speak Spanish, and they were very helpful if we had questions.

The Spa was INCREDIBLE! Junior helped us in the Hydrotherapy area that was included with our $300 couples massage (Normally $450, 100 minutes, amazing!). He was just great. He was smiling, laughing and having fun with everyone. He really turned it into a cool experience and encouraged us to interact with one another, like hugging for the rustic shower area. We went back in the next day to look for something in the shop and he spotted us and waved and asked how we were feeling. He was great and my husband left there saying that he had never felt so pampered in his life.

Overall, we really enjoyed the experience. There were a few things here and there that weren't perfect, but I feel that we got a very good deal for our money and that it was a great experience for our honeymoon.

Room Tip: First floor is definitely the way to go, and the 6000 block of rooms is close to EVERYTHING! Do not waste money on swim-up (it is more pool-front than anything) or Excellence Club if you do not plan to be in your room the majority of the time.
8  Thank Kasey H
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend & I just returned from The Excellence Resort in Punta Cana. It was great! The staff is amazing & they always greet you with a smile. They have an endless pool & the spa is awesome!!! Also, every night there is entertainment! Love it

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank KeraC1908
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Had a fantastic time at the Excellence in May, you may wonder why I only gave an average rating though and that was because of 2 things Food at the resort and the day maid.It was our 30th wedding anniversary in may and I researched t Hotels for a long time and finally decided on Excellence a year in advance as I was getting a good rate on a swim up room.

I heard the dated remarks but that didn't bother me as I had stayed in All inclusives in Mexico that had the same comments but were actually to my liking and the resort and room were very good, lots of room and amenities. Property was well taken care of and nice landscaping (take bug replant you will need it especially if you walk around the walking/jogging path were the parrots are (lots of turtles in the ponds).

We were at the cascade pool which I requested as it was suppose to be the quite pool but on the last few days there was an extremely noisy group who were there. One suggestion around the pool- fix the tiles and grades on the edge of the pool. If you have a nice looking pool and nice landscaping a few new grates wouldn't break the bank.

We were happy with most of the staff, they attended to anything you wanted, extra tips didn't seem to matter on drinks or not. Actually found the drinks too strong for our liking ( not a knock just our taste). Especially at night time around the stage area we always sat in the same area and were well taken care off.

Yes the waves were too strong but we are not ones to go swimming a lot, we like walking along the edge and nice and long beach for that. For Palapa's we always found ones on the west side of the beach on the other side of the club area and close to the end of the resort.

Loved being able to go right outside the room and go for a swim. We had shade at our room up to 1 pm which was great we are not ones to sit all day in the direct sun.

We enjoyed the entertainment every night.

Now for the maid- First few days we left the room several times with the maids cart close to our room, but never had our room done till after 4 sometimes close to 6 pm, ( we always leave a good tip for the maid where ever we go even if they say it's included) we then started putting in the maid service card in the door usually leaving the room for breakfast around 8 or 9 am. Still didn't help and after the 2nd day of doing that the card was removed from the room so we couldn't put it in (last day we left a tip). Funny thing each day was we were usually back in the room between 5 and 6 to get dressed for dinner and every single day the turn down maid (different from the regular maid)was around at that time to turn down the bed- yet the room was just made an hour earlier? Never had this at any hotel or resort we have stayed at before - rooms are usually done in the morning, I hate coming into an un made room through the day

The person who attended the bar in the room was fantastic! Day we arrived we took the scotch off the shelf and left a note to change for an Irish Cream, same day we had a bottle of Bailey's in the room. He quickly learned our routine and(Tip we left) and brought us extra snacks on chocolate bars.

Food, yes I hear people say they don't go to all inclusive's for food but I'm sorry this was our 3rd all inclussive, with the other 2 in Mexico where we got great food, great a la cartes, great buffets and great desserts, One was higher end 5 star( cost us just as much as this resort) and the other you could call higher/moderate resort 4 star.Both had more than 7 a la cartes so lots of variety. We aren't fussy eaters we usually go to chain restaurants and like good plentiful food, and a nice dessert. Only 2 places we ate at we would call a good meal. Our last night we had our Anniversary meal at the french restaurant were the service was the best of the trip and food was good too, desert was just ok. If you are in to 2 bite deserts this resort does that, tiny portions with huge fancy swirls of stuff to make it look good. The other decent meal was the out doors Italian restaurant that shared the building with the french and Mexican. Food was ok but the baked Alaska was ice cream with a ring of hard cake around it.

Breakfast- room service was ok with our"breakfast in bed" morning we were entitled to other than this the only thing good at the buffet was the first few days when they had an experienced omelette maker on, another couple of days must have been someone in training as they had no clue what they were doing. The buffet area itself did not have a lot to offer- at a place with what I heard was a new chef for the past year they served triangle frozen style potato patties (McCain style for those from Canada)-that were cold- people have written they change things often- we were always there between 8 and 9, what I would think is prime time but rarely changed items, everything was cold. We go to Kissimmee at least once a year and go to Cheap $3.99- $5.99 buffets and we get better buffets more selection and HOT FOOD.

Lunch- people liked there hamburgers I have heard??? Had a couple at the grill on the beach each time they were taken from a stack of pre cooked burgers re heated (barely warm when I ate it) and put it on a large hard dry bun. So the burger was like cardboard and on a dry style bun- was not enjoyable. One day they had Sausages, once again dry style buns and reheated sausage (lots of variety to choose from but) pre-cooked and barely heated when you wanted one. My wife tried the pizza which some people also raved about being cooked in a stone oven. THEY NEED A NEW RECIPE- we are spoiled in Canada with pizza places, even the chain ones are better than what you got here. More cardboard with sauce on. We had better on the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the seas which also wasn't the best but far better than here. And buffet at lunch, very similar with not many items and COLD food.

Mexican restaurant, poor service and bad food ( change of pace- salad was warmer than the food)more poor deserts, Steak grill restaurant at night - thought it would be better- saw menu on line and was identical 1st time we went, I love ribs but these were not fall off the bone ribs, more like glued on the bone and like cardboard( theme starting to show) wife did have a filet which she enjoyed but Caesar salad was all dressing and deserts- the 2" x 2" 2 bite dessert was awful ( when you get cheese cake or key lime pie, it all tastes the same the texture is the same and is more like a cakey hard pudding-best I could describe.

Thought we'd give this restaurant another try one night and since My wife liked the filet I was looking forward to it-but the menu changed that night to all cheap cuts of meats, no t-bones, no filet only cheap flank steak and they had a sirloin bone in so I thought I'd try it - tough, fatty left a lot of it - i even wanted to try the Caesar and was going to ask for 1/2 the dressing- no- not on the menu that night, wife had dried grilled chicken- then the usual 2 bite awful desert.

So most of this review has been about food don't get me wrong we made the most of our time and did enjoy everything else about the resort it's just when you pay a lot more than most other area resorts you expect EVERYTHING including food to be excellent. This has actually turned me off of returning back to the Dominican as we aren't sure if maybe it's just the way the food is done there. I certainly won't go to another Excellence and I carefully plan my trips to get the most for my money which I certainly have received in Mexico but not in the Dominican and certainly wouldn't pay to go to another overly priced Excellence.

We did enjoy the other aspects as mentioned and did have a good 30th anniversary.

Oh one more think, every resort, cruise ship even cheap Econo lodge motels will send you a customer satisfaction survey but not here, how are you going to improve if you don't get feed back from the customers that actually stay there!!! I use trip adviser in my research for hotels ( don't always agree with the good or bad) but rarely write comments as I leave that for my direct feedback to a hotel to compliment them and for improvement.

Room Tip: Rooms around the cascade room were great and usually quite ( except when you get a large group of people)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mcvilage1

Thank you for having chosen Excellence Punta Cana as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Wouldn't class this as a 5 star, but thats only our opinion, pool good, beach we loved, but for us the food was a bit of a let down along with some of the service.
I know this hotel has had some rave reviews and if this was our 1st all inclusive my review might be different, could point out all the things that we were disappointed with, but you have to make up your own mind what is good for some one else wasn't for us. Staff were good and polite, obviously the answer to "are you ok"? was "Excellente" all the time! Anyway it was an experience one that we glad we had but we wont be returning, sorry to say.
Enjoyed walking round the gardens seeing all the wildlife i.e. birds and turtles, two lovely parrots that seemed to like the attention well one of them did, the other just sat there staring at you! Flamingos and guard dog like geese! haha. Nice to be able to feed the birds with bread provided.
Our room was ok, could have been cleaned better, nothing disastrous, but more attention could have been made to certain things, how ever it was cleaned everyday, but we were there for two weeks and it wasn't until our last night that some extra details were added to our room?
I don't get the tipping thing either as we had already paid quite a lot to stay here, not like some other hotels where tipping is frowned upon?
Well thats it for this year, our main holiday over with, sadly it didn't live up to the reviews for us, but hopefully if you read this it won't put you off as we are all different.

Room Tip: away from the evening entertainment and at the end of a corridor as some guests can be noisy upon returning to their rooms.
3  Thank Rossi50