“totally excellence at excellence punta cana”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #16 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Detroit, Michigan
“totally excellence at excellence punta cana”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

i had an absolute excellent time at your punta cana location the food, staff, attractions, shows, beach, and the total beauty of the whole place. it was clean, friendly, well staffed, and plenty to do. the beach was cleaned of water washed seaweed every morning, it was safe most importantly.
my sister was married on the beach that is the way to go just beautiful. i do plan on staying at this lproperty again. out of all the resorts we drove past this was one of the only two that had sidewalk appeal. worth every penny. thank you to all the staff reinaldo y., fenaldo, adan, domingo, david, ricky, kazandra, yessica, brenda, marlow keva, and many many i can't remember the names now.

Room Tip: i had a junior suite which was all inclusive, hot tub in every room, comfortable beds i had a king v...
4 Thank patricia g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,598)
  • Korean first
East Wenatchee
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Excellence for our honeymoon and were blown away at how accommodating and friendly the staff is. Their customer service is what sets apart this hotel from all others. I would, however, recommend that they upgrade the complimentary razors/shavers they provide- they're awful.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank JenZamudio
Sandston, Virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband took me to this resort for my birthday last week.
What I really enjoyed about this resort is the spaciousness and cleanliness of the facilities. There are 4 pools, the Main Pool, which is where all of the activities take place such as pool volleyball, water aerobics, poker games, bingo games, trivia games, etc. (Marlon is a great activities director!), the pool bar, the "walk-up" section, which is huge and less crowded and the cascade pool that has a waterfall in it. The pool never seemed over-crowded in any area, except maybe the pool bar (always!) and the main pool during an activity. Beach access is just on the other side of the pools. The beach is beautiful and clean, though the surf was rather rough when we were there.

There is always a bar or restaurant close by. They also offer water sports, have a full gym, tennis courts, archery, billiards, table tennis and many more sporting amenities.There is also a small casino that is open nightly and shows every night. The Michael Jackson show is impressive. We enjoyed the horseback riding excursion a great deal.

There are quite a few restaurants on the premises. There are usually only 2 open for breakfast: Toscana, which is a buffet (excellent omelette station) and the Lobster House. I enjoyed the British breakfast at the Lobster House very much.

For lunch, the best place is Las Olas on the beach, where they have pizzas and other dishes (the menu changes daily) cooked over a wood grill. The smell alone will make your mouth water. There is also a buffet as Toscana and you can get burgers at The Grill located by the pool, though the burgers at Las Olas were much better!

For dinner, there are 6 different restaurants with different themes. We didn't get to try them all, but we did enjoy Chez Isabelle, the French restaurant (the Chateaubriand was exquisite!), Spice (a vast array of Asian foods with excellent sushi), Oregano (their pizza is top notch) and The Grill (great steaks and fish dishes). They also have special occasion dinners such as Dominican dinner on the beach and the Manager's dinner at the main pool. You can also purchase a romantic dinner on the beach. The room service pizza and desserts are great, the rest of the food is adequate.

If you like strong cocktails, this is the place for you. The bartenders are extremely friendly and serve strong drinks. You'll never get a watered-down or weak cocktail. My favorite was the Coco Loco. They don't have much selection when it comes to beer though, so if you're a craft beer enthusiast, prepare to settle for so-so lager.

The room facilities are top-notch, though the beds are a little firmer than I'm used to, but they are still comfortable. The rooms are well-cooled, which is a must in this climate. They have turn-down service, refill your mini-bar daily and excellent maid service.

In all, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely return to this resort.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the "Excellence Club" which gave us a "swim-up" room from the poo...
8 Thank Mandolyn13
SURREY, UK
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This trip was for our 10th Wedding Anniversary and for the first time (as I ALWAYS like to organise things!) I let Hubbie book a trip away which had been recommended by a friend. Apprehensive as to where we might be going as I would only find out at check-in at Gatwick, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was the Excellence Hotel, Punta Cana; an Adults only hotel. I furiously researched the resort whilst waiting for the flight and all seemed very good with the reviews. On arrival we were met with friendly Staff and champagne and a view of the most beautiful, manicured grounds surrounding the resort which was complete with Flamingos and Parrots; quickly followed with check in to the master suite upgrade Hubbie had managed to negotiate which was HUGE and overlooking the “Cascade Pool”. From start to finish, I had nothing to complain about. The room was always kept spotlessly clean and the bar, well stocked with full (large) bottles of spirits, beer and wine in your room if you tired of the inclusive bars dotted around the area. Our room was 5103. Near to the SportsBar and Gym (Very Good), Spa, mini-market and gardens and away from any noise. We tried all of the restaurants bar three but plan to do this on our next visit (which we have already booked for next year as it was THAT good!). You can order room service at any time and will be met with a smile which quite frankly, you cannot beat. The Staff, do make the resort very enjoyable. From the lovely, smiley Altagracia, Dionel & Jhon (not John!) in the bar, to Alexander in reception and the main restaurant staff.....nothing was too much trouble and we felt very relaxed and welcome by all we met who were a credit to the Hotel. There is plenty of room around any of the pools that you don’t need to place towels on beds and make sure you go to the beach to enjoy the huge, un-crowded area on offer.....very relaxing. I would like to clarify a couple of things from previous reviews though. Yes, there are mosquitos (as in any tropical climate) however, if you venture out without some repellent on your legs/arms, you may get bitten (I did one night, but my own fault and only 2 small bites) but the area is not besieged as some have reported and I did not encounter one sandfly. Take everything you may need in terms of medicine (ie, paracetamol, Imodium, ibuprofen, savlon etc inc of sun lotion) otherwise it will cost you a small fortune to get out there as most goods are imported. Please bear in mind that this lovely place HAS to import certain things which will be expensive so prepare yourself beforehand and you will not be inconvenienced. The sea can be choppy in areas but if you walk out of the Hotel and turn right, walk 5-7mins along the beach, you come across a calm area where you can swim in waters that are as hot as a bath! Luxurious! Overall, a totally relaxing stay which as I said earlier, was so good, we have already put a deposit down for next year. If that’s not a recommendation in itself, I don’t know what is! ENJOY. 

TIPS: Book private transfers from the Airport. Not expensive and you don’t have to do the rounds of dropping everyone off to other resorts beforehand. Also, bring US dollars or pesos for any tips and you must bring $10 pp cash for the tourist tax payable at the airport before luggage reclaim. Either currency is appreciated.

There is an offer of the “Excellence Club” but apart from getting specific drinks in your room and a separate (crowded) roped off part of the beach, I can’t see what else could be gained from paying the extra money as you get so much for what you have paid already!

As of October 2014, BA will be flying DIRECT to Punta Cana without the hour stopover in Antigua (V. Good news).

Room Tip: Rooms nearer to the Cascade Pool seem to be quieter.
14 Thank BLUELAGOON1
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was our first visit to Excellence Punta Cana and we could not have been more pleased with the service, ammenities, and people !! The resort was absolutely meticulous and the Restaurants and choice of meals were phenominal ! We wish to personally thank the following people for making us feel welcome and treating us as if we were part of their family:

In the pool swim up bar, (Pedro) was attentive to all of our needs and provided quick and courteous service ! In the conceirge room, (Edward) was absolutely fantastic and made our visit quite enjoyable and entertaining. Our rooms maids provided us a daily display of flower pedals and hand sculpted towels that were made into swans, hearts, and other creations.
(Kelvin) made our breakfast experiences enjoyable and fun ! On the beach, (Inis) was there to provide entertainment and laughter and catered to our every need !!
We met a lot of very special people in the hotels CASINO ! (Omar, Albert, Maria, Josefina, and Marilani) made our gambling experiences an enjoyable one.....even though we lost some money !!!!
And I would be remissed in not mentioning (Dino) who provided exceptional service attending the bar. His level of service was outstanding !

There are many others that we would like to thank, unfortunately I am not good with remembering names. I will say that this was one of the best vacations that we have ever had ! We have visited many of the Carribean Islands and we feel that EXCELLENCE Punta Cana is one of the best !! The beach is absolutely beautiful and clean of sea weed, rocks, and is crystal clear !!

We strongly recommend to any adult that is looking to visit paradise, that this is your place !!!

Thank you Roberto Puello for everything !!! And please thank all of your staff ! I hope that you appreciate them as much as we did !!! We will definately be coming back !!!

Joe C. Massachusetts USA

Room Tip: We had a garden view room. We could have paid extra for an Ocean View, however, we felt that the tim...
4 Thank Joseph C
BELFAST
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and i have just recently returned from the excellence punta Cana for 2 wks it's like going home the staff at the resort our like family they can't do enough for you we where treated like royals from day one mario Omar Jose luis at the main bar our amazing guys then you have Thomas the restaurant supervisor this guy is a gentle man then you have Nicolas & Edwin on the front desk how our gentle men i would also like to say that the manager and assisant manager our amazing people they would't pass you always ask is everything fine in hotel the food and the intertainment is this hotel is amazing my wife and i will be returning next sept just want to finish of by saying hola to all our friends at the excellence punta Cana and see you next year Barry & Mandy

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bazBelfast
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

First time writing a review on here, never felt the need to write before as never had anything to criticise, but there were some things about this place which I was not very happy about, and I am very easily pleased and don't ever say anything negative! Bit of background, travelled as a couple for our belated anniversary celebrations, this was the only time we could get off. We booked the excellence club garden view room as thought it would be worth the upgrade after reading some of the TA reviews. We have been to several all inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean and the Indian Ocean, and have also travelled extensively around Europe etc.

Firstly the positives:
- The resort itself is gorgeous, definitely was up there as one of my favourites with regards to the grounds. Extensive facilities, including sports
- The spa was amazing, they have daily specials and we had the serenity couples special twice as it was so good! The staff there were lovely. The hydrotherapy was good too, the ice after the steam room was interesting! lol!
- The pools were gorgeous, didn't go to the swim up bar though as it was always full of loud people.
- Food in the Flavour Market, Spice, the French restaurant and Las Olas was good.

The negatives:
- Don't really see the point of the Excellence Club - it would be useful if it was in a different location, i.e. maybe nearer to the ocean with a view perhaps?...but tbh I didn't see the need for more food and alcohol there because there is food and alcohol available 24hrs of the day all around the resort/to your room! How much can you eat/drink?! There was no special treatment in the club. The club where you sit is quite dark, and not that well conditioned...so don't really get the point of sitting there. Yes the loungers on the beach were made of wood as opposed to plastic but really, thats it. People still bring around drinks etc on the beach, regardless of which area of the beach you are on.

- Emailed the resort prior to the holiday to book transfers from the airport through them, I provided the details of the flights etc...I received a reply two days into my stay...no point of asking for my flight details to punta cana when I am already in the hotel is there?!

- Got asked on checking in if it was a celebration...did tell them that it was our belated anniversary celebration...nothing was done about this...saw several rooms which had the banners on for anniversary/honeymoon etc...if you are not going to do anything for us then why ask us in the first place? First time a hotel/resort has not acknowledged for us if we have mentioned a celebration.

- The room: Bearing in mind we had booked the excellence club level room...things we noticed in the room on arriving: stains on the duvet, no nespresso machine, no slippers, stained/used beach bag, stationary looked worn (apparently meant to get upgraded stationary?!), no 'upgraded room service menu'...and then no turn down service on the first night...and intermittent service on the petit fours etc thereafter during the stay. One morning our slippers had been taken..don't know why?! Were not replaced, we were not checking out! No newspaper delivery for three days. If someone pays for whatever level/type of room then please provide exactly what you say you will provide on your hotel brochure/website...I do not want to arrive in the room after a long >8hr flight and then a long transfer and want to have to point all these things out! I spoke to the 'excellence club' concierge about this...and was told that I would have to pay extra to get upgraded...despite all these things being wrong...in no place before have I ever been told that...on top of this, they sent around a person who didn't understand a word of English to see what was wrong with the room. During the rest of the stay, the cleaning was fine.

Staff: Out of all the places I have been to, this was the first time we encountered some staff members who needed an attitude adjustment/should re think being waiters...firstly though there were some people that were good...Isaac in the sports bar, some of the bar staff in Martini (apologies I cannot remember names), the waiter in Spice who got me fried ice cream, and the majority of staff around the resort were polite.

However...service in Las Olas was really terrible most of the time...it was a shame as the location is great with it being on the beach, and the food is really good and the guys bbq'ing and making the pizzas do a good job...most of the time it took ages for the waiter to take our drinks orders, and when they did take it, it took ages for it to arrive, despite it not being busy most of the time...sometimes they never brought it over until we reminded them and they were like 'oh yeah'..a lot of times we resorted to bringing drinks over from the bar ourselves....noticed that there were definitely some types of guests that got better service from some of the staff...

One instance I sat down at a table that had just been vacated as wanted to save the table for us as there were quite a few people queing for the pizza/bbq...the waiter came and took the drink order...didn't clean the table (there was drink spilt and some food stains on the table)...a while later he came back with the drinks..and was about to leave again without cleaning the table...I asked if the table could be cleaned...he took some napkins from the stand on the table, wiped the table and said 'look how easy it is'....I was a bit shocked to say the least! If I wanted to clean...I WOULD HAVE STAYED AT HOME...and not used my leave from work to come and clean on holiday!

Another instance was at the 'pool soiree'...we were put on a table with two other couples who were lovely, and we were having a great time chatting...however the table was completely dark...we asked literally about six times to different people if we could have the candle lit...nothing happened...the waiter serving us the drinks was very abrupt...he got irritated if we wanted another drink....then the men on the table went to find some coffee...they asked a waiter if there was any coffee left, and they were told 'go get it yourself from the bar'...

This really isn't what you want to be told when you are on holiday...if you don't want to serve people, then don't be in the industry! Someone said that maybe it was because it was all inclusive so they didn't have the incentive to be polite/helpful etc as we had already paid...but in all the other AI places we have been to, even the places where tipping in absolutely forbidden... the staff have all been a million times more polite/friendly/going out of their way to help you in any way they can.

- Night entertainment: seen better in other resorts we have stayed at.

Overall: gorgeous resort but really let down by some things. Definitely doesn't rank up there with other places we have been too. Won't be going back. Would encourage people to see more of the world and not base your entire AI/resort experience on this as this is not the best there is!

12 Thank TANRAV2014
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for having chosen Excellence Punta Cana as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.