“Wish I was still there!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My Husband and I stayed at EPC for 2 weeks to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary and were very pleased we chose this hotel. Having previously stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres we were looking forward to our holiday and were not disappointed.

We had booked a swim out room and emailed Roberto in advance to request a room in a quiet spot and we were allocated a room by the cascade pool which suited us as we don’t like to be near the swim out bars. On arrival we found that the toilet in the room did not flush, so on our way to grab a drink we told reception who were very apologetic. We had one drink (LITERALLY!) before returning to the room to order room service and it was all sorted, so the ‘problem’ took less than half an hour to resolve.
Being exhausted following a nine hour flight, we ordered room service as we were too tired to venture out on our first night and they said it would be 30 minutes. This turned up promptly and was washed down with some Presidente beers from the in room mini bar. A suitably good start to what was going to be a great holiday.

The room was kept very clean by the maids and the turn down service was a nice touch with the chocolates each night. We’d also asked for a mattress topper and we had the best night sleep throughout the holiday. Maybe due to the numerous cocktails prior but we didn’t find the bed uncomfortable at all. Obviously this will be personal preference – you could also request a different pillow but the ones we had were suitable for us.

As for the food – we didn’t have a bad meal in any of the restaurants. We obviously had our preferences which were Spice – we went here 3 times including our Wedding Anniversary, Tapas at Flavor Market – we thought was fantastic, (make sure you try the beef stew and the mini-burgers) and Agave. I didn’t enjoy my first meal here as I thought I would experiment and try something different but I just didn’t like the taste. The second visit was much better having opted for a safer Mexican choice of Enchiladas. Another good meal was had at Chez Izzabelle – the French restaurant where we both had Mahi Mahi with sautéed shrimp, which was amazing.
The Toscana at night (Italian) was also quite nice ( Cannelloni !) , and having being to numerous all-inclusive who always promise a good Italian restaurant – this was as good as we’ve experienced.
The Barcelona seemed decent and the pizzeria (Oregano) was okay , for what it is – although we only visited these 2 restaurants once.
We didn’t eat at The Grill or Lobster House, so unfortunately we can’t comment on these.

Lots of choice for breakfast at Toscana or you could have room service which was always delivered at the time stated. Las Olas for lunch was great on the beach or Toscana, or again you could order room service.

The beach was nice for walks in either direction but just be prepared for the handful of vendors to the left who we encountered when we did the horseback riding. The staff seemed to spend some time constantly cleaning the hotels stretch of beach.

Worth a wander around is the ‘park’ opposite the hotels shops . We strolled around a few times and got some good photos of the parrots , flamingos and other birds.

We didn’t do any excursions , so we paid to have a photo shoot one evening (from the photo desk ) and had a morning in the Spa. The massages were very relaxing and the staff there were very friendly and made you feel special. The hydrotherapy before was good fun. Look out for the daily offers that are left in your room, as these can be a much better deal than the Spa price list left in your room.

We would start our evenings at the KafeCafe for cocktails or at the Martini bar listening to the saxophone player who was a real character and very good. He would often break from playing to have a chat with the guests / staff. The evening shows were also good in particular the circus show and the Michael Jackson show. When the show finished there was usually further entertainment at the Plaza so there was always something to watch, although this tended to finish around 11.15pm.

To conclude we really enjoyed our stay at the EPC , and having stayed at various all-inclusives over the past 10 years or so , including Sandals , Paradisus, Grand Bahia etc. the Excellence chain is right up there at the top of the list for us. Plenty of reviews have compared the Punta Cana to other Excellence resorts and if you’ve been to others I suppose that’s inevitable, although a direct comparison may be harsh on the EPC. It has a different feel and layout to the Playa Mujures. The EPM has a modern feel to it, the EPC a more ‘colonial’ type feel . The contrast is one to appreciate , rather than comment negatively on - as we wouldn’t want the hotel to be an exact replica of the EPM.
The staff are a credit to the hotel and a simple greeting and a few pleasantries in Spanish will get you a response and a smile .

To conclude having read pages of reviews of the EPC beforehand we were a tiny bit concerned over 3 things. The bed , the food and the mosquitoes . We needn’t have worried about any of them , although don’t be complacent re mozzies , take some repellent !

Go enjoy yourselves, chill-out , don’t be impatient , relax and have a great time at a very friendly hotel. We certainly did.

Room Tip: Some swim out rooms have own sun loungers all have direct access to swimming pool
22  Thank floppsytart

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Overall, we had a good time on our honeymoon, but wouldn't go back. I felt like the staff were nice enough, but seemed like they didn't want to be there- save for a few who were really kind. My wife had her phone stolen at an outdoor dinner. It was dumb of us to leave it under a napkin at the table, but still it was a bit sad because it was obviously staff (no one else was around) and we never got the phone back.

The beach is great for swimming and relaxing, but not somewhere to snorkel. Drinks and food also great in our minds (food was really just okay but its all inclusive). The pools were fantastic.

The water is also unsafe to drink, maybe it was the salad we ate? But we were both having tummy troubles by the 6th day- not very romantic.

Finally, DON'T DO THE FREE HORSE RIDE. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen. The horses have visible cuts from the saddles, and horribly underweight. This was really what compelled me to write the review. I love dogs but am not a crazy activist about animals, and this got to me.

So, overall it was fine, but there were some aspects that were pretty off putting upon further investigation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Tim L
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for having chosen Excellence Punta Cana as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I had an excellent time. I could not have had a better experience. The staff was kind and very helpful, they made us feel as though we the only ones there. One staff in particular, David Mendoza, made our dining experience first class by supplying our every need. We will definitely be returning to Excellence Resort Punta Cana.

Room Tip: The good rooms are the ocean view and the mountain view. I would also suggest getting a lower level...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Marcus C
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I recently spent six days at Excellence, Punta Cana. The resort was very clean and the grounds were well maintained. The rooms were ok, but need to be updated. I loved the fact that you did not need reservations for dinner. I thought the food was very good, but my husband did not care for it. The nightly entertainment was better than most all inclusives. Service and staff were.excelllent!

Room Tip: We did not upgrade to the Excellent Club. I was more than satisfied with my room in building 2.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank BEJo197962
Reviewed 28 July 2014

i had an absolute excellent time at your punta cana location the food, staff, attractions, shows, beach, and the total beauty of the whole place. it was clean, friendly, well staffed, and plenty to do. the beach was cleaned of water washed seaweed every morning, it was safe most importantly.
my sister was married on the beach that is the way to go just beautiful. i do plan on staying at this lproperty again. out of all the resorts we drove past this was one of the only two that had sidewalk appeal. worth every penny. thank you to all the staff reinaldo y., fenaldo, adan, domingo, david, ricky, kazandra, yessica, brenda, marlow keva, and many many i can't remember the names now.

Room Tip: i had a junior suite which was all inclusive, hot tub in every room, comfortable beds i had a king v...
4  Thank patricia g
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Excellence for our honeymoon and were blown away at how accommodating and friendly the staff is. Their customer service is what sets apart this hotel from all others. I would, however, recommend that they upgrade the complimentary razors/shavers they provide- they're awful.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank JenZamudio
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband took me to this resort for my birthday last week.
What I really enjoyed about this resort is the spaciousness and cleanliness of the facilities. There are 4 pools, the Main Pool, which is where all of the activities take place such as pool volleyball, water aerobics, poker games, bingo games, trivia games, etc. (Marlon is a great activities director!), the pool bar, the "walk-up" section, which is huge and less crowded and the cascade pool that has a waterfall in it. The pool never seemed over-crowded in any area, except maybe the pool bar (always!) and the main pool during an activity. Beach access is just on the other side of the pools. The beach is beautiful and clean, though the surf was rather rough when we were there.

There is always a bar or restaurant close by. They also offer water sports, have a full gym, tennis courts, archery, billiards, table tennis and many more sporting amenities.There is also a small casino that is open nightly and shows every night. The Michael Jackson show is impressive. We enjoyed the horseback riding excursion a great deal.

There are quite a few restaurants on the premises. There are usually only 2 open for breakfast: Toscana, which is a buffet (excellent omelette station) and the Lobster House. I enjoyed the British breakfast at the Lobster House very much.

For lunch, the best place is Las Olas on the beach, where they have pizzas and other dishes (the menu changes daily) cooked over a wood grill. The smell alone will make your mouth water. There is also a buffet as Toscana and you can get burgers at The Grill located by the pool, though the burgers at Las Olas were much better!

For dinner, there are 6 different restaurants with different themes. We didn't get to try them all, but we did enjoy Chez Isabelle, the French restaurant (the Chateaubriand was exquisite!), Spice (a vast array of Asian foods with excellent sushi), Oregano (their pizza is top notch) and The Grill (great steaks and fish dishes). They also have special occasion dinners such as Dominican dinner on the beach and the Manager's dinner at the main pool. You can also purchase a romantic dinner on the beach. The room service pizza and desserts are great, the rest of the food is adequate.

If you like strong cocktails, this is the place for you. The bartenders are extremely friendly and serve strong drinks. You'll never get a watered-down or weak cocktail. My favorite was the Coco Loco. They don't have much selection when it comes to beer though, so if you're a craft beer enthusiast, prepare to settle for so-so lager.

The room facilities are top-notch, though the beds are a little firmer than I'm used to, but they are still comfortable. The rooms are well-cooled, which is a must in this climate. They have turn-down service, refill your mini-bar daily and excellent maid service.

In all, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely return to this resort.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the "Excellence Club" which gave us a "swim-up" room from the poo...
8  Thank Mandolyn13