“Very relaxing”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Very relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked this trip through Nikki Sterling, an agent for TripGuy.com, which was recommended through a friend. She handled everything and provided efficient/appropriate communication, which made this trip 10x more relaxing (very affordable!). The property is beautiful, the food was great, and the staff was most helpful. Not sure why this property is not getting 4+ stars from everyone. If you are looking for a little R&R, then I highly suggest this place, and TripGuy.com.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Austen J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,532)
  • Korean first
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Such a beautiful hotel and the best service EVER. Imagine being waited on hand and foot all day everyday. The food was hit our miss but they have a wonderful breakfast buffet. I really had no complaints to rally speak of. If you come here you will not regret. Tons to do and you will never be bored. Juan (the gentleman who serves your champagne upon arrival) you will fall in love with. There is just too much to mention. Enjoy!!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a room in the 700s I think. Get a room closer to the restaurant it will be a not more conveni...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rose m
PHILADELPHIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I who are in our mid 50's traveled to Excellence Punta Cana July 19th through the 26th. It is what it is and it's all that and more! From reading trip advisor, I made sure that I purchase the tourist card on line...good move, because the airport is a mess. The ride to Excellence was smooth, and before you know it you are there. My vacation started with a little hiccup, because I did not get the requested 3rd floor, in bldg 10. I got over it, and was not going to let something as small as that ruin my vacation. We had garden view on the second floor, and it was fine. My one gripe is that the bed was extremely hard even with the pillow top. Other than that I really have no complaints. I really don't understand all of the complaining that I read prior to my vacation, and I can be very picky.
The food to me was pretty good, I would say that I was never dissappointed. First of all how can you mess up breakfast? There are so many options all day long. If you can not find something to satisfy you appetite, than there is something wrong with you. I particularly, enjoyed the grouper at the grill, the Aguave restaurant, and the french restaurant. There's no way you can make all of the restaurant, with the special events during the evenings.
I don't think my husband or I received not even 1 mosquito bite. Yes we did spray ourselves in the evening, but it was no problem, nor did I hear any complaints.
I'm a beach person, and I could not have been more happier. Yes there was a red flag every day, but that did not stop you from going into the water, which was absolutely magnificent, and a lot of fun. We were in the pool one day, and that was enough for me. There were even surfers trying to catch some waves. Being part of the Excellence club you were constantly waited on, in addition to being served little bites to eat. And always a nice breeze coming off the water.
One of the nicest thing about Excellence is the customer service. They are such genuinely nice people, that are out to makes you vacations that much better. And they do what they can to make sure you enjoy yourself. Any problems that we might have run into were resolved within 10 mins. We tip everyday, because the workers here deserved to be tipped. You tip at home for the same services, and probably not as good. And I'm sure the workers at the resorts are not paid as well.
I would personally like to Thank Robert Puello, who was one of the most sincerest person that I have ever meant, who was out to make sure you enjoyed yourself. The best two bartenders on the whole resort were Vincent and Edgar at the Martini bar. Fun to talk to, hardworking , and pleasant, and were there to make you whatever you heart desired. Make sure you don't missed the sax player, again another pleasant person, easy to talk to and, really played to the crowd. The evening shows were ok. I thought the Michael Jackson show was pretty good. But I think the problem is that since this is a adult only resort, most people are use to working every day, not relaxing in the sun and drinking alcohol all day, it takes it toll. By 10:00 you are cooked in more ways than one.
One of the best things about my vacation, were the people that we meant. So kind, easy to talk to, fun, and were there looking for the same thing that I was looking for, which was a good time.
If you were ever at the Excellence resorts in Mexico, don't come here looking for the same thing, because it's not the same place. I would highly recommend this resort, and someday would like to return. But first I would like to try the resort in Jamaica once it opens up. Go enjoy and have a good time, I know I did.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank EBONY1Philadelphia
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I will start off by saying that the property is beautiful and very clean. Rooms could use an overhaul, beds are terrible and the pillows are worse. Booked a Excellance Club oceanview suite and was very disaapointed that I couldn't see but a spot of blue. Only had a view of the pool, so I went to the concierge and asked to be switched, which they did the next night. The pool is beautiful, but very tranquil. We traveled with another couple and we like to relax like the next person...but there wasn't any music at the pool. Which made for a very dull crowd, although we were fine we brought our own. Beach gorgeous and sand sooo soft, but BEWARE of sand mites they bite like crazy. The bites are not apparent right away, felt more itch and pain when I got home. But I am covered all over my legs and arms.
No to the really bad part, the food. AWFUL!!!! Now I do live in one of the best food cities in america CHICAGO, but come on....the food was a step below Old Country Buffet. Same exact steak served at every restaurant with a different sauce to create the Mexican, Asian or Italian meal. Could't even chew it! Best thing I ate there was bread. Seriously lost weight on this trip. Place had no party to it at all, people were in bed by 11. Will not return.

Room Tip: Make sure if you do go you say you want a room that actually has a good ocean view, decieveing.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Donna D
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.
We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

We are certainly disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences.
We also would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.

Our Food & Beverage Manager and our Executive Chef have received your feedback and are working on improvements to guarantee our guest the best quality possible.

Please receive our warmest regards from the Caribbean.
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I recently traveled to The Excellence Punta Cana with two friends from 7/26/14-8/1/14. After LOTS of research, and many hours on Tripadvisor, we decided on the Excellence. We booked a Junior Garden View suite. I will do my best to explain everything about our trip, but please feel free to email me if you want any additional information.

We booked private transportation through the resort. I was told that a driver would be waiting at the airport with a sign with our last name. When you get off the plane there are people everywhere! Everyone is waiting in a massive line to buy a tourist card ($10 per person) We purchased this ahead of time. Have it out and you will be guided to a different line. We bypassed literally hundreds of people and went straight to the front of customs. I imagine that if you did not purchase this ahead of time you would probably wait in line for at least 45 minutes. Purchase your tourist card here- http://www.dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica/EN/about/Paginas/default.aspx

Once we got our bags and cleared customs, we walked out and there are cab drivers everywhere. We looked for about 10-15 minutes and never saw our driver, I had printed the email confirmation from the hotel and another driver offered to take us for the same amount. ($70) He took our bags and we were on our way! It took about 40 minutes to get to the resort.

Upon arrival we were given a glass of champagne and began to check in. Our friends booked an Excellence Club room and we decided to upgrade. They were taken to the Excellence Club and we went to the lobby desk to see if an upgrade was possible. It was, and we were taken the Excellence Club for a private check-in.

Our room was not ready, but we were given all the information and taken upstairs to the Club for food and drinks. Since we had about an hour to wait we walked around and got drinks and explored. When we walked back our room was ready to go and was beautiful! It was very clean, nice and cool and was not the slightest bit musty. We stayed in building 8 and we thought it was the perfect location. Right next to the Excellence Club, right at the perfect pool and beach access and very close to restaurants and nightlife. It was quite at night and very convenient during the day. There were a lot of reviews about the window in the shower, I was traveling with my husband so we were fine with this, the only thing that might be a tad uncomfortable is when you are actually going to the bathroom. But we were fine with it. Our room was cleaned on the later side each day, but always done well. The staff noticed what we were using most from the mini bar, and left extra. This was great as we went through a ton of water!

We typically started our day at the beach and then had lunch and went to the pool. I had read a lot about people getting up early and reserving chairs/beds etc. This DEFINITELY happens and while it was rather annoying, we never really had a problem finding a place to sit. We didn't mind being in the sun or a few rows back on the beach. We did notice that staff members walked around and if there was not any personal belongings on the chairs, they took the towels. We were able to scoop up some spots then. The beach beds are reserved by 7am each morning. We know this b/c our last day we actually went to the beach at 7am to get one and stayed there of course. We watched people reserve them and then leave for hours! We did find this very selfish, but it would be difficult for the resort to manage. That said, we didn't really have a problem and instead would end our day with the beach beds around 4/5pm when everyone was going in and we would stay and read and nap without a problem. Pool rafts are another hot commodity and we saw people hide them behind their chairs/beds. But we found some each day and had a blast. We saw a few people who brought their own and we would consider doing that next time simply for no other reason then to not even think about those people.

Beach and pool service was great! We never really wanted for a drink. They came around pretty steadily and often times came back before we were finished! We had many delicious drinks. The beach is beautiful and you could walk for about a half hour or so. The waves are rough, but a lot of fun. We thought the sand was especially soft, but this would depend on what you are used to!

We are foodies and really have high standards when it comes to food. With that said, we thought the food was good and really didn't have many complaints. So many reviews talked poorly about the reviews so we were prepared for the worst, but we were surprised at home many meals we really enjoyed. Just go with a positive attitude and you will be fine. here is some information on our restaurant experiences:

Toscana- We LOVED it for breakfast. A really fantastic breakfast buffet with everything you could want or imagine. We never had a problem getting a table and always had hot, delicious food. We also ate their for lunch a few days and loved each day we had lunch there. everyday had different options and it was great. It gave us an opportunity to try lots of new things, you had nothing to lose! If you didn't like it, get something else!

The Grill- This was the only restaurant we really disliked. We tried there twice for lunch and didn't like anything we got. The menu wasn't great and Toscana is just much better.

Lobster House- We ate here our first night. My husband doesn't eat fish and they allowed him to order from the Grill menu which was really nice of them. I had grilled lobster and enjoyed it, but my friend did not enjoy hers as it was undercooked. The staff did not know this but as we were finishing brought 2 more split lobsters for us to have!

Agave- All 4 of us enjoyed what we got and we also tried many appetizers and desserts. It's a very pretty open air restaurant and we had a great time! We had planned to go back but ran out of time!

Spice- Another favorite! Plus we loved the atmosphere and the super comfy chairs! We all enjoyed what we got. Great apps, entrees and the fried ice cream was delicious!

Flavor Market- this was our favorite! We tried literally almost all the tapas on the menu and everything was high quality and delicious! It was a really fun experience and really pretty!

Barcelona- We enjoyed it, and the food was very good, but of all the restaurants, the service here was very, very slow. We were there for over 2 hours and often had to ask for drink refills etc.

We did not try the French Restaurant or Oregano. We did stop by the Dominican feast, but we went late (9pm) and everything was cold and not great. Perhaps it would have been better when fresh at 6:30pm. Overall, food was great. What's really nice is you can get whatever you want and how ever much you want. If you don't like something, get something else. If you want something, ask!

Drinks were plentiful everywhere you went. My only complaint would be the wine selection. We didn't drink any of the alcohol in our room and wish we could have traded a bottle of it for a nicer wine. If you wanted wine other than house chardonney, sauvignon blanc, cabernet or merlot, you had to pay extra. I typically drink wine at home and wished the selection had been wider or you could trade for a bottle or two of something better.

We went to the shows each night and were EXTREMELY impressed at how good they were and how talented the staff was. I have been to one other all inclusive and this did not even begin to compare. The only show we didn't enjoy was Perfect Match, the rest were really top notch.

We visited the Spa and this was hands down the best experience of my trip! I did the Dominican Gold ritual with Yocosta and she was AMAZING!! I feel like that word doens't adequately describe how wonderful my entire experience was. I 100% recommend it and her. Before each spa appt you get an Aqua Wellness treatment, what a treat! The only weird thing was that I went with my friend and they put us together. You go into different showers and rooms and while it would be great with your other half as a couple, it was a bit awkward with even a close friend. I did mention this on my survey and they were very quick to offer me a second treatment at no charge. My husband and I went back the next day and it was lovely. (PS if you upgrade to Excellence club you get this for free. Even if you are not doing any other spa treatments, do this. You won't regret it!) It's a series of several showers, saunas, steam rooms, massaging water and jacuzzi. You then get a mini aloe massage. Just lovely!!

Speaking of Excellence Club, we did the upgrade and while over all we are glad we did and were able to be in the same building as our friends, it really isn't a must do. You can have a perfectly fabulous time without having the Excellence Club perks. The ones we used the most were the the daily snacks in the Excellent Club, the private, upgraded beach area with the beach beds, the aqua wellness treatment, and the private check out. The resort was out of towels one day and we did ask the club and we provided towels. It was nice to have but absolutely not a must have.

There are people who walk around trying to encourage you to book excursions. We were interested, but were leary of booking from someone on the beach. Pierre was very persistent, we ended up booking, and we are SO glad we did!! We did the half day catamaran, snorkeling excursion and had a fabulous time. Ralf was who took us out through the dive center and it couldn't have been a more perfect day. There were 7 of us, we snorkeled, sailed and swam at a calm natural pool. Ralf makes and serves you delicious rum drinks and it was really a great experience. He also takes pictures and then will email them to you! Would definitely recommend doing this!

We did take money to tip and typically tipped $1-$2 for drinks, $5 at dinner, $3/day for maid service etc. We spent about $200 in tips.

All in all we had a fabulous trip and were sad to leave. We were impressed at how clean everything was and how hard the staff worked to keep it that way. We would absolutely go back and would recommend it to anyone looking for a bit of luxury and a lot of relaxation!! Please feel free to email with any specific questions!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank ach0717
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Punta Cana have met your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Excellence Punta Cana asserts that it provides a "luxury" experience, but the experience is only luxurious if you think that Olive Garden is fancy, or if you get dressed up to go to Cheesecake Factory, or - alternatively - if you don't know how to dress properly. The clientele at this resort reflects its sticker price: the resort was teeming with rowdy, loud, and capricious men in wifebeaters, board shorts, and bandanas. The service was what troubled me the most: no one on the resort spoke fluent english: everyone struggles through the most basic of sentences, and proper service is impossible to get unless you can speak to them in Spanish. Every morning we were ignored, made to wait, and generally not given adequate service. We had purchased the "Excellence Club" package, and for an additional $1000 this trip, we got next to nothing. The idea of a private check-in shouldn't be "new" or "exciting" to anyone who's travelled before in their life. Moreover, receiving champagne (sparking wine, might I add) on arrival is not the mark of a luxury hotel - only one that thinks it knows luxury. The "Excellence Club" had no benefits whatsoever - we were made to wait at restaurants like everyone else, the pool beds weren't reserved for "Excellence Club" members only, and the service on the "Excellence Club" - only beach was lacking beyond compare. The "Excellence Club," like the rest of this vacation, was a waste of money.

I might add that we usually stay at the Ritz-Carlton, Peninsula, or a comparable hotel, so we're used to a certain type of service. This wasn't our first time at an all inclusive resort, however - we stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres in Cancun and were pleased with the experience. It is clear however, that the underdeveloped tourism industry here - reflected by the lack of proper training for staff and inability to speak english properly - soils an otherwise exemplary "Excellence" brand.

I would also like to note that the staff did try to do a good job in most cases - and I think they all have good hearts. I'd like to especially note Oscar in the Mille Spa was a great guy and my wife and I enjoyed our massage with him. There were other staff members that were genuinely kind to us, and we appreciated their efforts. The beach and the pool are also beautiful, and the grounds are well kept. Overall, if you are a discerning traveler, turn elsewhere. If you have no idea what the difference between Chateaubriand and Filet Mignon is (like the French restaurant where a Filet Mignon is labeled Chateaubriand), you belong here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Bluechips007
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us. All our Excellence Resorts are designed with a different personality, but always with the same high standards. We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

We will forward your comments and suggestions to the above mentioned departments as your feedback is very important to us since it helps us improve on a daily basis.

Please receive our warmest regards from the Caribbean.
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is the far best vacation I have ever been on . I would like to thank the Manager of Excellence Resort in Punta Cana. Also thank you Iseal my dance instructor and many other outdoor adventures! Thank you Leonardo, our taxi driver. You took our group on a fascinating tour!!! Thank you to all the staff and cleaning service.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor. It was perfect.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business