“Excellence it is!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Mechanicsville, Maryland
“Excellence it is!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have been to all 3 of the Excellence resorts and love them all the same. This one is just as nice and beautiful as the other 2 in Mexico.

The resort itself is amazing. The grounds are beautiful!!! Everything is very well kept and clean. The resort is on its own private beach. You have to walk down the beach for 2 miles before you get to get tot the next resort.

The resort also has a botanical garden that you can walk through. This area is quite large but easy to miss. The garden has walking trails and lots of animals. There are feeding stations all over were you can give them animals bread. You can feed the geese, flamingos, parrots, turtles, and various birds. If you stop to feed the parrot be careful with your sunglasses. Mine ended up getting taken the the parrot and there was no getting them back.

The restaurants were all great!! As usual I liked the Lobster house and Spice the best. Oregeno has the best pizza to get to take home after you're done at the disco, dancing your heart out.

The staff workers were amazing. They would do anything that you needed done, anything!! They get 5 stars from me!!

The shows were amazing but the theatre, not so much. It was very hot and humid and you would be drenched of sweat nce you left there.

Thank you Excellence for another kick butt vacation! :)

Cleanliness
6 Thank ardufresne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,495)
  • Korean first
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Excellence Punta Cana, was a nice resort and like all places had plusses and minuses. Let's start with the plus items shall we. First, the food was very good best resort food I have had, it did not feel mass produced. With that the downfall was the room service, because of the time it took it was a little cold / congealed. My recommendation if you are going to do room service, go for things, like sandwiches / salads that hold up a little better to the wait time. Our room was nice and walked right out to the pool bar, very comfortable, and Pedro keeps the bar rocking all day long. We found that we really liked the beach in the Excellence club, though the service was not great there. The shows were really cool, especially the bands in the lobby during the evening. The spa services were great, we upgraded to the Excellence club when we got to the resort based on reading some of the reviews here, the spa treatment that was included basically covered the cost of the upgrade so well worth it in my mind.

Now for the minuses. We found our room could have been cleaner, maintained better. For example there was a bug that was smashed on the wall near the bathroom all week, and there was a crack in the shower glass. Not major items, but not what I think of when I hear the word Excellence. The unofficial tipping policy became pretty obvious after the first day, not a huge issue but be prepared for it. Our bed was not as comfortable as others, and overall the rooms were in need of a refresh.

The resort staff was very friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed our stay. Having been spoiled on our previous all inclusive resorts set the bar very high on this one. This resort has the appropriate bones to be a 5 star and just needs a little freshening of the rooms to be one.

Room Tip: The swim up room was very cool! Room 703 was the one that we stayed in.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
7 Thank dales5209
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to Excellence for our honeymoon. We cannot say enough positive things about this hotel!! The food was delicious, the hotel was always very clean, drinks were wonderful, and the staff was so helpful. We would visit again and again!

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank APScott14
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our 4th trip to EPC and after a 4 year break it was good to go back. There have been a few changes since our last visit but the essential components of what we loved about EPC remain.
The location is for us one of the main attractions to the resort. The isolation means that the walks along the beach are fantastic; the views are spectacular and difficult to beat. Having the new highway is a real bonus, meaning that the previous journey time of well over 60 minutes on atrocious roads when we first travelled to EPC many years ago has been replaced by a smooth 35 minute journey if you do a private transfer.
Rather than cover the same areas in numerous other reviews I will attempt to focus on our observations since our last visit:
Staff – still generally very good and attentive, but we felt that the entertainment team were far less enthusiastic and happy in engaging with people and encouraging people to participate. I accept there is a fine line here but consistently arriving 15-20 minutes late and then not even announcing you have arrived to complete a scheduled activity, seems to back this up. We prefer the beach and joined in games and had some fun but it just seemed as if the entertainment team were doing their job rather than really enjoying it!
Bars – drinks remain good and service was very good, waiting time was minimal. Very disappointed that Jose (our favourite member of staff from previous visits when he was at the Kafe Café bar) had been moved to the bar at the Grill restaurant. Seemed to completely waste his skills in inter-acting with guests and joining in with our banter, which is a shame.
Restaurants – we had breakfast in Toscana and at the Lobster House. We had never tried the Lobster House for breakfast before but we actually preferred this as you could sit outside with a fantastic view of the ocean and beach and we had great service from Santos and Alex. The weather was just too hot some mornings though.
For lunch we tried Las Olas, which is a new addition since our last visit. This left us fairly neutral as whilst it added a bit more variety with the daily specials, the food was overall fairly average here and the service and cleanliness left a lot to be desired. It has great potential but needs quite a bit of work to get there I’m afraid. Toscana was as always very good with lots of choice and the air-conditioning was most welcome!
For Dinner, I have listed our favourites in order. Lobster House was our favourite, where again Santos and Alex looked after us and we were always offered more lobster, which was hard to refuse! Next up was Chez Isabelle for the Chateaubriand, then Spice and then The Grill and Flavour Market. Our least favourites were Barcelona and Toscana. The only new restaurant was Flavour Market and once again we had mixed feelings. Some of the dishes were delightful but others were less so. We felt that all the restaurants suffered from a lack of consistency, sometimes you would order the same dish and it would be completely different to the last time (flavours and quality). Nonetheless as with all restaurants if you don’t like something, order something else and it will not be a problem.
Our only other comment on the restaurants was that we did also see a mouse in Toscana. We did not realise until we returned that there is another report of this on Tripadvisor. At the time we were a bit perturbed about it but as it was a long way from the kitchen and the doors to the restaurants were open we didn’t make a big thing of it. The staff joked about it and did not make any effort to remove it, but I don’t think it’s a huge deal, as I stated it was not near the kitchens and had probably wandered in when the doors were left open.
Activities – we did the free horse ride for the first time and we enjoyed it, although as commonly stated the horses didn’t appear to be in the best of health and were reluctant to actually take us. We did two other trips, booked through a really helpful Amstar rep. The reef explorer trip where you can swim with sharks and stingrays was just OK. It was a long journey in with several stops at hotels and then a 30 minute wait until you travelled to the reef. I would not do it again. The other trip, Side by Side, was fantastic. We did a good buggy trip in Cap Cana in the morning and then a boat trip in the afternoon. This part of Punta Cana is idyllic, the white sand literally hurts your eyes and the clear blue sea was fantastic. Made us wish we had known about and come to this part of the island before!
Spa – did a couples massage through a daily offer and it was as expected fantastic. The hydrotherapy part remains on a par with the ERC Spa, which I liked because it was more outdoors but I liked EPC because the water was much warmer.
Rooms – as part of the travel agent deal we were upgraded to a Master Suite. Room was great but for us, using it to sleep and get changed, I actually preferred a standard room. If you use the room more I am sure there are significant advantages though.
Grounds – never been round the animal sanctuary before and having been there this time feel we missed out. It is a lovely part of the hotel, so much to see and great photo opportunities, especially with the parrot.
Bugs – have never experienced a problem here and happy to say this trip was no different.
Beach – absolutely fantastic! Been to many Caribbean islands but this takes some beating. Love the roughish sea, get the boogie boards or let the waves munch you up! Alternatively walk a few hundred yards and it’s beautifully peaceful. Walk the beaches in either direction; it’s safe and so scenic. We got to Dreams to the East, which was our preferred route every morning.
Overall – EPC still retains its charm and has so many aspects that tick the box for our holiday needs. I do not however see it as improving since our first trip. Although EPC set the bar high, I would expect any business to evolve and improve. Although of course it could just be that over the years my expectations have increased and the ability to get the WOW factor has become harder!
My last note is nothing to do with the hotel and not part of my hotel ratings but is just for information. If you booked from the UK with Caribbean Warehouse and have a transfer with Jumbo Transfers beware the minibuses do not have seat belts. We felt this was very poor and did let our agent know. Also when we called regarding our pick-up time to the airport we were originally told 11.30. Eventually a sensible 13.30 pick-up was agreed!

Location
      Rooms
13 Thank GoonerT44
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked this trip through Nikki Sterling, an agent for TripGuy.com, which was recommended through a friend. She handled everything and provided efficient/appropriate communication, which made this trip 10x more relaxing (very affordable!). The property is beautiful, the food was great, and the staff was most helpful. Not sure why this property is not getting 4+ stars from everyone. If you are looking for a little R&R, then I highly suggest this place, and TripGuy.com.

10 Thank Austen J
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Such a beautiful hotel and the best service EVER. Imagine being waited on hand and foot all day everyday. The food was hit our miss but they have a wonderful breakfast buffet. I really had no complaints to rally speak of. If you come here you will not regret. Tons to do and you will never be bored. Juan (the gentleman who serves your champagne upon arrival) you will fall in love with. There is just too much to mention. Enjoy!!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a room in the 700s I think. Get a room closer to the restaurant it will be a not more conveni...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rose m
PHILADELPHIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I who are in our mid 50's traveled to Excellence Punta Cana July 19th through the 26th. It is what it is and it's all that and more! From reading trip advisor, I made sure that I purchase the tourist card on line...good move, because the airport is a mess. The ride to Excellence was smooth, and before you know it you are there. My vacation started with a little hiccup, because I did not get the requested 3rd floor, in bldg 10. I got over it, and was not going to let something as small as that ruin my vacation. We had garden view on the second floor, and it was fine. My one gripe is that the bed was extremely hard even with the pillow top. Other than that I really have no complaints. I really don't understand all of the complaining that I read prior to my vacation, and I can be very picky.
The food to me was pretty good, I would say that I was never dissappointed. First of all how can you mess up breakfast? There are so many options all day long. If you can not find something to satisfy you appetite, than there is something wrong with you. I particularly, enjoyed the grouper at the grill, the Aguave restaurant, and the french restaurant. There's no way you can make all of the restaurant, with the special events during the evenings.
I don't think my husband or I received not even 1 mosquito bite. Yes we did spray ourselves in the evening, but it was no problem, nor did I hear any complaints.
I'm a beach person, and I could not have been more happier. Yes there was a red flag every day, but that did not stop you from going into the water, which was absolutely magnificent, and a lot of fun. We were in the pool one day, and that was enough for me. There were even surfers trying to catch some waves. Being part of the Excellence club you were constantly waited on, in addition to being served little bites to eat. And always a nice breeze coming off the water.
One of the nicest thing about Excellence is the customer service. They are such genuinely nice people, that are out to makes you vacations that much better. And they do what they can to make sure you enjoy yourself. Any problems that we might have run into were resolved within 10 mins. We tip everyday, because the workers here deserved to be tipped. You tip at home for the same services, and probably not as good. And I'm sure the workers at the resorts are not paid as well.
I would personally like to Thank Robert Puello, who was one of the most sincerest person that I have ever meant, who was out to make sure you enjoyed yourself. The best two bartenders on the whole resort were Vincent and Edgar at the Martini bar. Fun to talk to, hardworking , and pleasant, and were there to make you whatever you heart desired. Make sure you don't missed the sax player, again another pleasant person, easy to talk to and, really played to the crowd. The evening shows were ok. I thought the Michael Jackson show was pretty good. But I think the problem is that since this is a adult only resort, most people are use to working every day, not relaxing in the sun and drinking alcohol all day, it takes it toll. By 10:00 you are cooked in more ways than one.
One of the best things about my vacation, were the people that we meant. So kind, easy to talk to, fun, and were there looking for the same thing that I was looking for, which was a good time.
If you were ever at the Excellence resorts in Mexico, don't come here looking for the same thing, because it's not the same place. I would highly recommend this resort, and someday would like to return. But first I would like to try the resort in Jamaica once it opens up. Go enjoy and have a good time, I know I did.

Location