“Excellent Staff/Service, Beautiful Beach, Good but not Great Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Excellent Staff/Service, Beautiful Beach, Good but not Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

AMAZING STAFF! I stayed her with my fiance and we had a great time. The staff is really what makes this place shine. They smile, they are genuine and they treat guests like gold. Everyone is so nice and seems really happy to be there. The pool area is great and very well maintained. Lots of fun activities to do during the day. Beauitful beaches!! I found it to be the perfect combination of romance and relaxation with party and fun.

Things that could be improved: I will say that I am a food snob, and to me, the food is mediocre at most restaurants. The staff did a great job with service and there was certainly a wide variety of things to ear. It was prepared well, but mainly just lacked flavor. The only place I did not experience that was Flavor Market. Flavor Market was delicious! Lots of interesting things to eat and had a very creative menu. Only one bar served imported beer. Most places in the resort only served Presidente. I found the evening shows to be a little boring. It was mainly just dancing every night. I would encourage more crowd interaction and some comedy.

The staff are amazing here. I didnt meet one person working who was not wearing a smile. It was a great vacation. I would definitely go back but am also curious to explore new places.

Rooms
8 Thank Emily G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,492)
  • Korean first
Selma, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed at the Excellence for 7 days in March of 2014. Our rooms were nice and clean and the staff was very good about tending to our every need. The dining facilities on the resort were nice and the food was very good. We spent some time in the pool area, but mostly on the beach. The attendants on the beach were wonderful...always bringing cold water and making sure that we could find a place with shade if necessary. The nightly entertainment was nice. The staff worked hard to get the guests involved in the activities and dancing. I can't comment on wifi because I chose to be completely unplugged for the entire week....something that I highly recommend...I promise that the world will not fall apart! ha!

Room Tip: There was a bit more activity and noise around the swim up bar pool....the cascade pool seemed a bit...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Susan W
Upstate New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Went in Aug. 2014 for one week to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We've only been to one other Adults-Only All Inclusive resort (a Sandals in Jamaica), so this was all we had to compare to. We were highly impressed with this resort - everything is close by, but not to the point that you feel like it's all on top of you. Beautiful pool and private beach (no other resort around for as far as you can see), great service, and you will not be disappointed.

Loved: Covered walkways from all rooms to the main lobby and restaurants, which is nice if it rains; Great restaurants (for dinners, we tried all but Agave and Oregano - favorite was the Flavor Market). We never had a wait, timing was always good when serving, and food was always hot and cooked to our liking; Breakfast and lunch buffets have so many choices. You get lunch on the beach at Las Olas or the Grill by the pool, too; Plenty of stuff to do at the resort. We had planned to do several excursions, but did not feel the need to do so because there's a lot at the resort. The evening entertainment was very good - much better than expected. The entertainment team is also awesome - they engage guests often; Bars are plentiful, and waiters come around the pool and beach often (if you don't go to the swim-up bar); Rooms are clean and service was great. We rarely saw our maids - we left our room around 10 daily, came back around 5 to a clean room. Left for dinner around 6:30, turn down service completed by our return after 11. Also, room service is fast - they give you a timeframe, but it was always sooner than they said; They made special arrangements for our anniversary - flowers, fruits and champagne on arrival, schedule a champagne breakfast in bed on any day you choose, reservations and special menu for any restaurant for dinner, complimentary 30-minute horseback ride on the beach - it was a nice touch; finally, we went to the Miile Spa....so good and worth it. Got a 100-minute couples massage - there are daily deals for the spa that they put on the daily newsletter - look for it, they are major saving from the online brochure price.

Watch for: arrange transportation ahead of time via Concierge at Excellence (we did ours via email ahead of time with no problems - but people who used a travel agency seemed to have problems); Look for the bulletin outside of Toscana every day - they list things that are occurring that aren't quite publicized the way they should be. We happened upon the resort setting up a Dominican Dinner on the beach - if we didn't see that, we wouldn't have known about it. A few couples we met missed it and were disappointed; Look for the Sports Bar - it's hidden by the tennis courts. You'll get great service because we never saw other people there. Downside is they close at 10.; Even though it's an all-inclusive, tipping was very standard here - the staff really appreciates it and will come find you to get you drinks; Don't fall for the 2-hour horseback ride being sold by people on the beach- I found 30 minutes to be sufficient, as did most people we spoke to; Be aware of Float-hoarders - the floats are supposed to be in the pool, but people tried to keep them by their chairs so no one else could use them. The staff was great in just throwing them back in the pool when they saw it. Oh, bring bug spray - mosquitos are out at night with humidity and no breeze (rare, but it was very buggy our last night there).

Overall, this was such a great resort - we never wanted for anything, we were completely satisfied with our service and the staff. We couldn't have asked for a better place to spend our anniversary.

2 Thank MichelleBelknap
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Pros:
Very nice tropical feel to the hotel.
Staff was nice.
Very large theater area and good evening entertainment options (great Brazillian show!).
Lots to do between the nature trail, tennis courts, golf, air hockey, etc.
More youthful feel than some of the more expensive resorts.

Cons:
Hotel looked a little dated.
Rooms smelled damp and a bit mildewy.
Food sucked even for an all-inclusive.

Overall, not a bad place to stay. We met several repeat customers who love it. It all boils down to personal preference and my husband and I like a bit more luxury.

Room Tip: Not sure. We selected the lowest tier room because we had a short stay before moving to another hot...
6 Thank Nikki H
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

After staying at the Excellence Riviera Cancun , we decided to try the EPC and we were not disappointed. I think it is unfair to make a direct comparison in Hotels and went, as we always do, with an open mind.

Like many others, we pre purchased the Tourist Card and breezed through the airport, we were greeted by our Taxi driver, waited for 4 other passengers (about 5 mins) and whisked off to the Hotel no stops along the way - We flew British Airways and yes we were the lucky ones with the 5 hour delay leaving Gatwick so to say we couldn’t wait to get the hotel was an understatement. We were greeted with lovely face towels and a very warm welcome excellence style! Knowing that they give you a glass of Champagne, we let the others in our Taxi sample the delights whilst we crept through and headed straight to reception to get checked in. All very smooth, and they also upgraded us to an Ocean view – Beautiful - We didn’t chose the Excellence club.

Once checked in we literally went to the bar for our first drink all inclusive – Excellent, all top shelf and a very wide selection of alcohol and excellent cocktails. (Chocolate Martini.....)

The Hotel, grounds and beach are simply stunning; the Hotel itself is in a beautiful location, you actually feel like you are on a dessert island as there is not another hotel visible from the stretch of beach at the EPC. The sea is rough but if you are a competent swimmer the waves are fantastic. The grounds are kept immaculate and there were always staff or gardeners carrying out some kind of work. Yes I agree with some other reviews, it could do with a lick of paint here and there but being an all year round resort in a tropical climate must add to maintenance issues surely !

The room itself was beautiful, nice and spacious and the glass window in the bathroom was not an issue. Mini Bar was stocked daily, again top shelf alcohol, soft drinks, beer and snacks – At around the time the guy came to stock the minibar up was around the time we were getting ready to go out every evening so we put the do not disturb sign in the door, he couldn’t get in for around 3 days – On around the 4th day, he got in and stocked us up to the ceiling – very funny getting back to our room and finding it all – Thank you, it really did help, stocks were getting low.
I do agree a little about the cleanliness in the rooms as with other reviews – We had quite prominent marks on the bathroom floor the day we checked in (we didn’t go searching for them believe me, I have better things to do on holiday) which were there for about a week and a half – I got a cloth one day to see whether it was stained – I got rid of them ?? Our screen door also fell off but was never repaired the time we were there it was just against the wall on the balcony. Not a major issue in my mind, we are not in the room long enough to care.

Breakfast is excellent, what more can you ask for – there is everything you can think of – we did hear a few complaints and would like to know what people eat at home every morning. The waiting staff were fantastic and all very friendly.

We headed to the beach most days as there was more of a breeze and never once struggled to get a bed in or out of the shade – The time ranged from 8.30am – 10am – Brilliant and I will mention the staff WILL remove towels if it is not evident that you are actually using the beds – This is a great rule and should be adopted in more hotels. The beach waiters were excellent and never once waited too long for a drink, if they were not around we simply went to the bar which was a very quick walk – never a problem.

The pool areas were also all very nice, I have had colder baths than the swimming pool water, but that is the same in any hot destination :o) Be careful too – the pavement surrounding the pool gets extremely hot. You must also have one of the free 5 mins massages round the pool – a very nice touch.

Lunch – We ate in the main buffet and the grill and both were excellent again, lots of choice and again great waiting staff.

The weather whilst we were they was fantastic and stopped us doing things – Our motto – If its cloudy we’ll do this and that…It wasn’t cloudy so we didn’t do much however, we went on the bike tour, took walks to the end of the beach, played crazy golf, pool and air hockey at the sports bar but in general we lazed around and this is the perfect place – You can join in as little or as much as you like with the activities and never once did the animation staff make you feel you should be joining in. On that subject, the animation staff we all wonderful – A big shout out to Cassandra who is such a lovely lady, a pleasure to talk to and great fun - We miss you Cassandra !

Then it’s off to dinner for the evening - Believe me, we are not fussy by any stretch of the imagination but we found the evening restaurants a bit hit and miss, we were not disappointed, you are not going to starve and god we had a good giggle. The serving times between meals would either be too long or as the starter plate was being taken away the waiter would literally swap it with your main course, some items described on the menu were not as described, we found this very funny and sometimes food was just a little over or under cooked, but please be ensured this did not spoil any part of our dining experience and had more hits than misses – Just tweaks they need to sort out. We loved the Flavour Market, Spice, French, Lobster and Mexican– The grill and Italian not to our liking but we may have picked the wrong things off the menu. We didn’t try the Barcelona. We also didn’t try Oregano at Dinner time but we had the most amazing Pizza’s after a night in the bar !!
Not that we used it much but I loved the fact that around the hotel in the day were take a way type cartons, so you could take fruit, cakes, anything out with you to the beach or pool – I have never seen this before and loved the idea – I craved some chips one day, so went to Las Olas, grabbed a carton, got some chips and went back to the sunbed – Excellent.

Anyway back to the evening – As I said above the alcohol was all very good and so much choice, no complaints what so ever. We never really watched the main show, we sat more outside at the back of the Theatre in Kafe Kafe and just chilled out, we loved the live music though before and after the shows – Such a nice way to relax after a hard days work sunbathing. From there we headed to the Martini Bar, a fantastic bar with fantastic staff, another shout has to go to Victor – Thank you for a great two weeks, my liver is now in recovery.

We never visited the Casino but we did go to the club and I must say we did have a laugh, music not to our taste but after the drinks Victor served us in the Martini Bar – it didn’t really matter.

We met some lovely people from all over the states and the UK and I would just like to say a HUGE Thank you to everyone we met and all the staff at the Excellence – They are a true credit to this Hotel and made our holiday a wonderful two weeks.

I honestly do not know how people can complain about this hotel, this is not Mexico, the Mecca of All Inclusive, It’s the Dominican and what they are doing at the Excellence Punta Cana is fabulous.

Room Tip: Block 2 Ocean View was beautiful !
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
22 Thank Andi52
Albertson, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from our 4.5 day stay at the EPC. Overall, a wonderful 10th anniversary treat. However, it was not without issue. The transportation we arranged with the concierge did not show up at the airport. We had no way of contacting anyone so we just took a cab which turned out fine--we loved our driver. It took less than 40 minutes on pretty much one road to the resort. We arrived to fresh, cold towels and champagne. Upon arrival, we were amazed at the beauty of the resort. It is lush, well designed, and just plain gorgeous.
Our room was not ready as we arrived early. They brought us to have lunch, which we did but after lunch our room was still not ready. We changed into our suits and enjoyed some time at the pool with a few drinks. Our room was ready by check in time at 3.
Our room, a swim up suite, was beautiful and decorated for our anniversary with towel swans, rose petals, and champagne. We were in room 4004, which was located close to the main building and of course right on the cascade pool and the cielo bar. I didn't find the shower and toilet to be a bad thing. There was a door and the shower is not open but separated from the room by glass. You can't really see in unless you try. Our room was not cleaned one day until after 5:30 when we returned from the pool and called.
The activities were typical cheesy resort type. The shows at night were also pretty corny but we really enjoyed the circus show of all the evenings we saw.
The drinks were sweet and tropical. My husband also wanted some plain Bombay Sapphire gin and they had it--they had it all. Presidente beer was ok but pretty gross out of some of the taps. You could get other beer at some of the bars inside.
The food was one of the major issues. We enjoyed our lunch everyday--especially the pizza at Las Olas. The food they prepared there had a theme everyday like Tacos, Paella, and Pizza. Her rice and beans were delicious. Our 2 favorite restaurants were Agave(Mexican), and Chez Isabelle (French). Oregano was just ok and one night they had a party by the pool with a buffet that was pretty bad. Cold food and just not tasty.
Breakfast was plentiful but they often burned the omelettes at the omelette station. The fruit was underripe--except the mango which was delicious. The pastries and cereal were good. Coffee was good and they serve it with hot milk! Interesting....
Dessert--tres leche cake at Agave was delicious. Creme Brulee at Chez Isabelle was also good.
Each day, we started at the beach--waiter service for drinks was fantastic and a few dollars at a time goes a long way. They appreciate it. We never had a problem finding a chair and even a palapa. The water was rougher than some caribbean locales but not rough compared to Jones Beach here on Long Island. The beach was private and so clean. No shells, no seaweed, no rocks.
After a while, we settled at the main pool where again there was waiter service and of course a swim up bar. The water was warm, the tiles around the pool were hot as hell. There weren't many floats but we could usually get one after a while. You can bring your own if you want. Towels were plentiful and large, which I liked.
Turndown service was done each night and they left a newsletter with the next day's activities and such. For our anniversary night they decorated with roses and towel arrangements. For my birthday they left balloons and a cake which was delicious.
We really had a nice, relaxing vacation. I think we would even go back in spite of what we didn't like.
The few bumps started with the taxi. It didn't come but we spoke to Roberto at public relations and he arranged for the hotel to cover our taxi back to the airport. The next bump was what my husband had arranged for our anniversary--chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. The concierge arranged it but room service lost it and never brought it. Then they called and admitted that they lost it. By that time it was 11pm. My husband was upset. Antonio, the concierge, was very upset that this happened so he arranged for it to be brought the next night. It was, along with the Room service manager to apologize. They made it right. Antonio also arranged for our jacuzzi to be set up with a spa bath and flowers. It was a service that normally costs money but they sent it for free. It was nice. Since Roberto and Antonio were very concerned that we were happy, they set up an additional "romantic dinner" complete with champagne on ice. It was very nice. Sure, the food is included but they add small personal touches that made it special.
I went to the spa for my birthday. I had the tropical nourishing body treatment. It was heavenly. The treatment also comes with hydrotherapy beforehand which I loved!!
We used the gym--new equipment, a few of each cardio machine and also weight training. It was clean and well maintained. Wi-fi really only worked in the main lobby and internet cafe.
Overall, we were super impressed with the maintenance of the resort. We saw people cleaning and maintaining constantly. Before we left today we saw a guy polishing the outdoor showerhead!!! It was such a beautiful place.
I think I've covered it all... I gave it 4 stars because of the food and the bumps in service. I wish I was waking up to the pool in the morning....

Location
10 Thank abbs89
Groton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I just returned from a family vacation at The Excellence Punta Cana and it was a dream come true.

The resort itself:
Gorgeous with very clean and beautifully decorated rooms, restaurants, lounges and bars. Everything looks new and spotless. Our rooms were in buildings 5 and 9. We all had balconies and plenty of space. The housekeeping service was very efficient! Outside you'll find the pool which looks like a river running along the ocean-side edge of the resort. It is gorgeous, warm and lined with plenty of lounge chairs, huts and beds. The whole resort is an adults only spot which means that there's never any crying kids or anything of that nature. The nighttime shows are all aimed for adults. We saw a circus show, a Dominican dance show, and a Perfect Match couples game.

The beach:
Of course it is located on an amazing stretch of beach which never seems too crowded. The waves are pretty big, but fun to play in. The water is crystal clear blue, the sand is soft and the beach is lined with two-person huts with lounge chairs underneath. There are also beds with pillows in the sun. My family is not a pool group so the beach was incredibly important to us....we were impressed.

The food:
The resort has plenty of dining options. the breakfast buffet is delicious and has tons of variety. Lunch was available sit-down style at The Grille (good but time consuming) and order-at-the-counter style right on the beach (Las Olas). Most days we grabbed pizza or snack food at Las Olas and it was perfect...tasty and quick. Dinner was always excellent. Our favorites were the French place (Chez Isabel) and the tapas place (Flavor Market). We were always pleased with the quality of the food. We were a party of 8 and they were always able to seat us quickly, no reservations required.

The bars:
All-inclusive resorts allow for plenty of drinking and you'll enjoy doing that here.The bar right at the entrance to the beach was the one we frequented most with plenty of classic options as well as signature cocktails and frozen treats. This bar also has waiters who walk the beach offering to bring you something. The pool has a swim-up bar that we would go to in the late afternoon. This bar tends to be crowded but it has a lively feel. The mini bar in the rooms is included and always well stocked with beer, wine and liquor.

The service:
Amazing! Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. My sister lost her camera and they made sure they helped her find it right away. There is staff everywhere making life at the resort extremely easy for all of the guests. We became friendly with some waiters and bartenders and they were fantastic!

My parents went (in their 50s) and my sisters and I went with our boyfriends (all in our 20s) and everyone found this vacation to be perfect. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing week of sun and fun!

Rooms