“Wow!”

Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Philadelphia, PA
“Wow!”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My Wife and I had gotten married about 6 years ago. Unfortunately, due to financial difficulties we never were able to afford a honeymoon -> until now! To say the least, this was a romantic and relaxing vacation for us.

When we landed, the airport was quiet interesting. I had never seen an “open air” type airport and walking out on the tarmac to get inside the terminal was surprising. The van ride to Excellence was about an hour or so, but not nearly as bad as some folks stated. The roads actually looked freshly paved.

Once we arrived we were greeted with a cool towel and glass of Champaign. Very welcoming! The Grounds were simply immaculate and the wildlife birds were really tame. You could walk as close as 6 ft. to the birds. And feed them too! Our check-in was very quick and our bags were brought up to our room within ½ hour. We were in building 4, on the 3rd floor. We had the vaulted ceiling with a view of the garden. Personally, the view from the balcony was more than enough. We did not feel that paying an additional amount of money to face the pool or beach was worth it. The evening “turn down” service was amazing. It was like art work that you did not want to touch. For those of you who like to “surf” the internet on vacation (like us) will be presently surprised at the connection strength. However, once connected to the wireless network we had to disconnect and reconnect in order to actually get on the net. Not really a big deal, more like an annoyance.

The Food and service were excellent with the exception of the Lobster house. Unfortunately, the lobster was not cooked well and extremely small. However, the waiter service was top notch. Our favorite restaurant was Agave (Mexican) and Spice (Asian). The beach lunches and dinners were also good. Late night eaters, beware. There is only one place open after 11:00 PM which is the one right next to Agave. We liked to refer to it as “drunken food”. But, its something to eat.

The bars are awesome. The bartenders will make your drink as light or strong as you would like. The “coco loco” was my absolute favorite. Would like to give a shout out to JOSE!!! His favorite line “… he’s gay!” or “ … she wants me”. He, of course is just kidding, but very amusing.

During our stay we took some excursions out to Savao Island and beach. Sorry, I may have miss-spelled the island name. Also, took the speed boat and ATV tours. Both were awesome, but be prepared to get very muddy on the QUAD. Not really too expensive depending on what you are used to spending on trips.

Some advice I have is to make sure you put your towels down on the pool or beach side “beds” or chairs. They go quickly. Especially the ones that are covered.

We left tips before we departed. Honestly, carrying around cash to consistently “tip” is not what I wanted to include in my relaxing vacation. Exactly why we picked Excellence.

The beach has one mean undertow. Be careful when you feel the water level at your chest. The water will get deep very quickly. Trust me, I know :-) Also, forget Windsurfing unless you are an expert. I did not even bother taking the risk with high waves.

Horseback riding is worth it. Plus it’s free for the first round.

Enjoy, have a great time. We did!

1 Thank doskey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,526)
  • Korean first
global
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I thought I did this review last year but can't find it on the site so do another version now. I can't remember all of the names of the restaurants and people by now, but they were all great. We loved this place - our first 5 star all-inclusive. Mostly we've stayed at 4 star all inclusives or rented city apartments-villas. Previously did the north coast of Dominican Rep so this was new to us. It's a different airport fly-in and longer drive to the hotel but the resort itself has everything you need and 7 very good restaurants with perfect variety. The guy at the Fitness Club / brand new and gorgeous / both the guy and the equipment - ha ha! Plenty of tennis courts, table tennis, a nightclub, nice shops, classy spa.

We were there for 12 nights, in a room at the very end building that was good for us since we don't stay up that late anymore. The main building has music most nights and entertainment in a big hall, some of which is better than others.

My husband got there two nights before me, coming from a business conference in Puerto Rico, and our room wasn't available yet so they had to put him up in the bridal corner suite first! He got a taste of that spaciousness and large terrace/deck with jacuzzi - otherwise the jacuzzi is in your room separated by pillars. Ceiling fans or air con, your choice. All rooms have a balcony with view of the ocean just beyond the long pool, which has floating things good to mosey up and down the waterway, nice listening to the waves on the beach. The beach has hammocks and beds / especially great at night to look at the stars. No noisy 'activation' team but one area of the pool did offer water aerobics and volleyball for those who want to, in addition to the beach one. One Swim/up bar. We walked to check out the buildings by the second pool that has a waterfall / also very nice though not near the beach. Gardens gorgeous everywhere, inclusing one bigger botanical one that I enjoyed.

The water in the bay right in front of the hotel property is rather treacherous - I could not stay on my feet even in the shallow parts due to the strong cross currents. The black flag was up all the time. My husband didn't mind it and bodysurfed a lot, plus played volleyball onthe beach. We discovered that walking up or down the bay around the corners took you to calm waters great for swimming but no snorkeling interest. They had horsebackriding along the beaches which looked cool.

I was able to get internet connection free in the main building. I think the Club Rooms also give this but we didn't do that this time. I didn't mind sitting up in the main lounge areas for this.

We recommend this resort hotel and would go back ourselves.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank commcourt
Arlington, Va
Reviewed 28 July 2009

If you're looking for a place to exclusively relax on the beach or by the pool then this is a good place. Having said that, this is not a 4 or 5 star resort by any stretch and there are not that many good activities. The food is really as bad as it's been described in previous reviews. My girlfriend and I spoke with several people who became sick by eating the food, and I became very sick starting the last day of our vacation. Honestly, for the money you spend at this place....you can do better.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JB142228
Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My husband and I went to the Excellence Playa Mujeres for our honeymoon last year, and thought a trip to the Excellence Punta Cana would be equally as rewarding and fun. We were wrong. The resorts are nothing alike - the EPM is only a year and a half old, and the EPC is probably 20 years old. Or older. And it shows. Seriously, we would never go back. The ride from the hotel is about an hour, and is not smooth in the least. Potholes everywhere. Not the fault of the hotel, and it really is sad, but just something to keep in the back of your head if you are looking for a hotel you can quickly get to from the airport.

The rooms were gross. We booked oceanview and it was ok - but the room NEVER got cold and constantly felt humid. I'm a southerner and lived in New Orleans, and let me tell you, it was like sleeping outside in New Orleans in July. Ick. The sheets were damp and the bed was rock hard. The A/C only kicked on every hour or so for a few minutes, and the fan was pointless. The shower was miniscule and the bathroom was dirty. The TVs were outdated and huge (again, this is nothing like the Excellence Playa Mujeres, with marble, huge showers, beautiful tubs, etc...).

The staff is awkward and both my husband and brother were offered items from one of the hotel salesmen (not the tour operators in the main lobby area - this was on the beach and again at the pool). Let's just say it was inappropriate and we were not happy.

Room service was gross. The food was horrible - we got the spagetti when we arrived late that night and barely touched it. The Lobster House was revolting. I love lobster and loved the Lobster House at EPM. This one is nothing like it. We saw at least two couples get up and leave mid-meal due to poor service.

The spa was gross, too. We signed up for the circuit and massages since the EPM's were so fantastic. We were wrong. They stopped the massage about 15 minutes before it was due to be over, and also didn't come get us until it was a few minutes into our massage (and we got there an hour early!). The locker room was small and cramped. There weren't enough lockers to store your clothes, and everyone had to share with other women (luckily I had someone with me so I didn't have to share with a stranger).

The beds on the beach, however, were amazing. We weren't impressed with the people who hogged the beds all day when they weren't even there, but that isn't the hotel's fault.

The beach itself was beautiful, but very short. Not snorkeling-friendly. Also, we tried to take out the Hobiecat since it was included, but they tried every trick in the world to prevent us from getting out.

Disappointing, to say the least. SAVE YOUR MONEY! Go to the EPM or somewhere else in Punta Cana. Feel free to email me questions.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lawbelle
northern ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2009

ok where do i start... my boyfriend and i arrived on the 9th of july 09 and stayed until the 23rd, in our opinion this was too short! we didnt want to leave! on arrival we were greated by very friendly bell boys who offered champagne and wet towels, (very refreshing after an 8hour flight!) reception were lovely at checkin and extremley helpful.

our room was an ocean view room, spacious, fresh and very luxurious.. jacuzzi tub and some cultural designs on the wall, added to the holiday feel! the room was always cleaned to a very high standard by our lovely maid, (i didnt catch her name but she was excellent!) and turn down service was always a plus! we had come up early one night and found ourselves an already run bubble bath with flower petals and candles, just perfect! you wont find hospitality like it!

eating - breakfast at toscana has something for everyone and again the service is excellent, always greeted by a friendly face! lunch at toscana is also a good choice, with their buffet selection ticking all boxes too! we always looked forward to lunch time! the dining options for dinner are varied so theres always something new to try, although my boyfriend is some what of a plain eater, so the grill was the perfect choice! right at the pool side thats lit up at night, its a lovely atmosphere! food is excellent! chicken and mash being the favourite, (i want the receipe!) my boyfriend found the new york steak a favourite! apart from the food, we liked the grill for the staff who were always making us laugh! special mention to Jhonny and Danny for that one!

the beach is perfect, not too busy just peaceful, and it really is all about kicking back and relaxing, you dont even need to get your own drinks, they have bar tenders who come take your order! likewise at the pool, were your gaureenteed a giggle from a little lady called altagracia! we loved her! the entertainment team were always around to keep you active, which was a plus for jonny. im a bit lazy i just stuck to sunbathing!

Entertainment was excellente! the micheal jackson show ..dont miss it! also the rewind show and stars. mc hammer is one to watch out for!! the shows are alot of fun and keep you laughing!

overall we found this hotel something truely special,stunning beach, great pool 5 star food, gorgeous comfortable room, lovely location , plenty of activities, great bars but most striking and most importantly, amazing staff. Always friendly, always cheerful, very frequently singing and dancing while serving! special mentions to Ramon and Amado? (i think) at Martini, Hector, Hector Luis, Jonthan, Han Luis Dorling and Altagracia at Cafe Kafe, the best! ps. Dorling makes a good drink!

we would definitly recommend this fabulous hotel to anyone whos looking for a relaxing time , with stunning views and world class service! ive read a few reviews and fail to understand the comments about the english from the staff.. in my experience we had no problems communicating with anyone everyone spoke to a very good standard, understood our humour and were able to hold conversation! we're more so embarrassed about the lack of spanish we speak, we'll be practicing for next year though!!

Pierre and Cowboy Bob are two great guys, they invite you to go for a horse ride (free 30 mins) or a 2hour sunset trip which is definitly worth the money! great experience!

Were looking into booking next years holiday already.. see you all next year! :)

1 Thank liveforwhatyoulove
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Having stayed at the Excellence Riviera Maya in 2007 and 2008, we were confident that the resort at Punta Cana would meet our expectations. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Rooms: Our room smelled extremely moldy. I am not surprised to find some mustiness in a room in such a humid climate. This was beyond that, it was really unpleasant. The shower was small, but clean. When we ran a bath, the water looked slightly brownish (most likely rust), explaining why the water was so hard you could hardly lather soap.

Beach/pool: beautiful beach with powdery sand, but fairly rough surf. The poolside and beachfront areas are very nice (always enough chairs and palapas, plus several large, covered beds). The swim-up bar was not located as conveniently as in Riviera Maya.

Staff: compared to Riviera Maya, the staff spoke far less English. They were not rude (with a couple of exceptions), but it was somewhat difficult at times.

Dining: There are a lot of restaurants with beautifully prepared food. The buffet breakfast and lunch at Toscana are really great. Several nights, though, the restaurants were so warm that it was uncomfortable to sit through the meal.

We went with another couple and all 4 of us had severe stomach cramps, diarrhea and nausea during this trip. This started 36 hours after we arrived and lasted anywhere from 36 hours to 6 days (and counting). We also heard at least 6-8 other people by the swim-up bar mentioning that they had also been ill.

In conclusion, I truly am not one of those people who cannot be pleased, but we could not wait to get home. Very disappointing, considering the amount of money we spent (over$300/night). If you are considering the Excellence, try the Riviera Maya.

5 Thank JenniferEss
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 24 July 2009

My wife and I just got back from a 5 day 4 night stay at Excellence Punta Cana and in our opinion it is nice but nothing amazing. We stayed at other all-inclusive resorts and this one would be okay for those that are planning their first romantic getaway. I would highly recommend checking out Couples Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica.

So to start things off it took about 3 hours to get from the airport to the resort because the driver had to make a couple stops on a shared shuttle service which we expected but on the return it only took 1hr and 20min.

Upon arriving to the resort you are greeted by staff with cold towels to wipe your face and 2 glasses of sparkling Champaign. The attendant takes your bag for you and gives you a pink ticket which you give to the front desk as confirmation of the amount of bags you brought which I thought was a good way to make sure it was written down. When we got to the front desk the first clerk had no idea what to do because he was training so the other clerk wrapped up with another guest and quickly came to us and checked us in. We arrived around 2pm but check in is at 3pm and the room was not ready. They offered us to visit anyone of their restaurants for lunch and have a drink while we waited. So my wife went to 1 bar and 2 restaurants and finally made our way to our GARDEN VEIW room around 5pm. When we arrived to the room my wife and usually do a quick inspection of everything such as hair left by other guests and bed bugs, yes you can say we had some bad experiences in the past, we happen to find long hair by the Jacuzzi and no bed bugs but as a precaution we still spayed down the bed with bed bug spray. Other than that the room was a good size and was nice to have a Jacuzzi in the room. The shower is a bit small and a couple times while taking a shower we turned off the shower by hitting our back on the lever. There was one morning where my wife ran out of cold water??? I thought this was weird since cold water was usually don’t run out, unlike hot water would run out first since it comes from a tank. We didn’t bother asking since it came back on in about 10 minutes.

Our safe in the room was already locked and we called the front desk to have someone to unlock it but no one ever came so I thought this was poor on their behalf. Who knows what was in it, good thing we did not have anything of importance so we just locked our stuff up in our luggage.

MAKE A NOTE THAT THEIR AIR CONDITIONERS ARE HORRIBLE!!!!! My wife and I like to have our room either cool or freezing and although we set the gauge to the coldest position the room only felt in the 70's and the ceiling fan did no justice. Our last night at the resort the AC stopped working all together but we weren’t going to call anyone.

The bars are decent and the bartenders remember you and what your drinking there were couple times my wife and I were in the water on the beach and when we got back to our chairs we had 2 fresh drinks waiting for us. You can tip your waiter but you don’t have to. The water at the beach was rough although the water itself was only knee high the waves came crashing at us, I would recommend using the pools if you don’t like rough waters.

Decor: Excellente! You will hear this word over a million times when asking the staff how they are doing.

Staff: Very helpful and friendly. The concierge desk was a joke at times when they had a Spanish speaking person trying to communicate with the English only customers, thank god my wife speaks Spanish it helped with the communication barrier, because when I tried to tell the rep. what I was looking for she only smiled at me.

Restaurants: Our favorites were Agave and Chez Isabelle for dinner and for breakfast & lunch was Toscana. There are other choices but we thought the food quality was very good at these places. If you grew up in a area that always had variety then this food will not amaze you but if you never been to any middle to upscale dining then you will like this especially if this is your first time at an all-inclusive.

Entertainment: The 10pm shows were awesome!

Health & Wellness: Mille spa was nice, we both did the Excellence Massage which included stretching and some deep tissue. Don't plan right away since they give special coupons if business is slow.

Overall our experience here would make it a 3 to 3.5 star resort but for first timers you would say it is 4 - 5 stars. It is definitely worth a trip if you want an adult only environment.

2 Thank BKLYN2008