My Wife and I had gotten married about 6 years ago. Unfortunately, due to financial difficulties we never were able to afford a honeymoon -> until now! To say the least, this was a romantic and relaxing vacation for us.
When we landed, the airport was quiet interesting. I had never seen an “open air” type airport and walking out on the tarmac to get inside the terminal was surprising. The van ride to Excellence was about an hour or so, but not nearly as bad as some folks stated. The roads actually looked freshly paved.
Once we arrived we were greeted with a cool towel and glass of Champaign. Very welcoming! The Grounds were simply immaculate and the wildlife birds were really tame. You could walk as close as 6 ft. to the birds. And feed them too! Our check-in was very quick and our bags were brought up to our room within ½ hour. We were in building 4, on the 3rd floor. We had the vaulted ceiling with a view of the garden. Personally, the view from the balcony was more than enough. We did not feel that paying an additional amount of money to face the pool or beach was worth it. The evening “turn down” service was amazing. It was like art work that you did not want to touch. For those of you who like to “surf” the internet on vacation (like us) will be presently surprised at the connection strength. However, once connected to the wireless network we had to disconnect and reconnect in order to actually get on the net. Not really a big deal, more like an annoyance.
The Food and service were excellent with the exception of the Lobster house. Unfortunately, the lobster was not cooked well and extremely small. However, the waiter service was top notch. Our favorite restaurant was Agave (Mexican) and Spice (Asian). The beach lunches and dinners were also good. Late night eaters, beware. There is only one place open after 11:00 PM which is the one right next to Agave. We liked to refer to it as “drunken food”. But, its something to eat.
The bars are awesome. The bartenders will make your drink as light or strong as you would like. The “coco loco” was my absolute favorite. Would like to give a shout out to JOSE!!! His favorite line “… he’s gay!” or “ … she wants me”. He, of course is just kidding, but very amusing.
During our stay we took some excursions out to Savao Island and beach. Sorry, I may have miss-spelled the island name. Also, took the speed boat and ATV tours. Both were awesome, but be prepared to get very muddy on the QUAD. Not really too expensive depending on what you are used to spending on trips.
Some advice I have is to make sure you put your towels down on the pool or beach side “beds” or chairs. They go quickly. Especially the ones that are covered.
We left tips before we departed. Honestly, carrying around cash to consistently “tip” is not what I wanted to include in my relaxing vacation. Exactly why we picked Excellence.
The beach has one mean undertow. Be careful when you feel the water level at your chest. The water will get deep very quickly. Trust me, I know :-) Also, forget Windsurfing unless you are an expert. I did not even bother taking the risk with high waves.
Horseback riding is worth it. Plus it’s free for the first round.
Enjoy, have a great time. We did!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Savannahville Tours N.V., Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Travelbag, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, TravelUp, Holiday Gems, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence