“AmAzInG!!!”

Ranked #19 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Buffalo, New York
“AmAzInG!!!”
Reviewed 5 October 2009

My husband and I traveled to this resort for our Honeymoon. We were originally going to go to St. Lucia, and I thought I would be disappointed but was I wrong!!! It went way beyond my expectations! The resort is breathtaking and it is really a place you can relax, lay back and enjoy the sun! The restaurants at this resort are top notch and was some of the best food I have ever had! The staff is extremely friendly (so make sure to bring some ones for tips!!) and very helpful. The only thing that I would definitely do again (because the resort is worth it) BUT could do without is the ride from the Airport to the resort. It was a long ride (approx. 40 min.) and they drive really crazy. But other than that it was a very laid back vacation with some fun in the ocean and laying in the sun.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NYJtr02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,591)
  • Korean first
St. Louis
Reviewed 5 October 2009

The resort itself is lovely and the staff is very friendly. I had read so many reviews on this place prior to going and I didn't know who to believe. I obviously wanted to trust the many people who had the greatest time ever on their trip. But we didn't have that experience. From the moment you get off the place you deal with the locals trying to overwhelm you for money (wanting to take you bags for you, even though you know you are just simply supposed to find your travel rep.) So you give money to have them show you to your travel rep, and then they take you out to your bus. Not sure who all I was supposed to tip, but I think we got them all. It was just a bit overwhelming, but I think our travel agent should've prepared us for all that.

The shuttle ride from airport to resort was very much out of the Amazing Race. Any participant in the Amazing Race would have loved our driver. He was passing people left and right, trailing very closely to a guy on a bike with 3 other people AND a propane tank (doesn't seem smart). We finally made it after a very bumpy, scary ride in an hour. Home sweet home for the week.

Check-in was fine, although I was told I should ask for an upgrade, and was only offered the Excellence Club for an additional $600. Just getting on internet without paying would have been nice. The place where you pay to get on the internet was like a sauna, so you didn't want to spend any time there. We thought internet access was included, but apparently not.

Speaking of the sauna, the whole trip felt like a giant sauna. If we had come during a time that was about 10-20 degrees cooler, we probably would have loved it. But it was about 90 each day for the high (without a heat index that took us over 100 degrees easily. Low of about 90 with heat index. But in the evening, most night would have no wind, so it was sweltering. The restaurants were only slightly A/Cd as was our room. I think our room was between 78-80, which was miserable. We tried to get a new room and then said they'd fix it. Nope, never happened. We just didn't get to enjoy the evening activities because you get so hot and sunburnt from being out in the pool all day, and drinking. Then you go to dinner that requires a dress code for men to wear long pants and you just sweat and sweat. Left little desire for us to do much of anything in the evening. Especially not the casino (which was a main reason we picked this place), which was just terribly hot. And not the discoteca where you melt away from the heat.

The food was really good for the most part, although I did get sick after eating at Spice. I just wanted some american food so desperately and was thrilled when I saw Wendy's at the airport on the way home.

Like I said, if we had been more comfortable with the temperature, it would be a lovely resort. Or even if our AC worked in the room. But we were just too warm to enjoy. Also, the beds were very hard, and bugs were all over in the room. The mosquitos on the beach are a disaster in the evening. Take bug spray!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sandmansgirl
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Great hotel, only wished we had booked more than a week there. The staffs are great, the pools, rooms and beach great. The sea was rough but as mentioned before there is a good swimming spot to the left of the bay. We would love to go back or try the Sister hotel in Mexico next year. Many Hotels might pretend or like to think they are 5 Star but this is justifiably so. Enjoy.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MacpG0
San Jose de Ocoa DR & NY
Reviewed 30 September 2009

This trip was the best ever. All the staffs were great, pleasant, and always available with great desire to please not just me and my friend, but every other guest. The food was great, the room service, the room, and the pool; I would say I have no complaint. I would recommend this resort to everyone and I will definitely go again soon. Some of the staff that made our trip one of the best so far were Altagracia Gremy at the Martini Bar as well as Juan Manuel. Also Altagracita, Viviana, and Darton who works at the Mexican Restaurant. They were all the best staff I have ever met at a resort, each one of them is what made our trip the BEST one ever. Me and my friend will always remember them because of the treatment that we received from them, they are indeed what gives the name of Excellence to this resort.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank yam230607
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We just returned from 7 nights at the Excellence resort. We were looking for a relaxing honeymoon after the stresses of planning a large wedding and this place hit the spot. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, this was great, not sure if was completely worth the additional dollars. The hot tub on the balcony was pretty dated and not exactly what I would consider a hot tub, you had to fill it with hot water like a large bathtub, but it did have jets… overall though I would say the large balcony and ocean views were a great addition that we really enjoyed, I would still recommend it to someone who wanted to pay the extra $$!!!

I read about a thousand reviews before booking so I will keep it short and to the point. Overall the resort is amazing. The rooms seemed to be a little dated and smaller than we expected, but that didn’t matter much because you spend the majority of your time out of your rooms. As for the rest of the resort, it seemed to be in perfect condition. The beaches were amazing, and coming from California I enjoyed the little wind waves that the Atlantic side of the island produced, it made for a fun time in the ocean with the resort’s different ocean equipment. The entertainment staff was hilarious and kept the trip exciting and fun. We DID NOT do the Excellence package and I am glad that we didn’t, I really could not see any benefit other than having hard booze in your room, but you could easily just walk 20 feet to one of the bars and order call liquor, so I saw no benefit at all. Also, the resort has a WiFi network that my iphone was able to access, so no need for their internet hotspots, just an fyi… The food was wonderful and drinks even better. And the pools, so fun and LARGE, we had to spend an hour just exploring the all, and the swim up bar!!! The whole staff was fabulous. I would go back in a second. Oh and the adult only is a major major plus, after spending hours on a plane with crazy kids everywhere, we were really happy we didn't have kids jumping and screaming in the pools all day. I can’t imagine one negative thing about the resort. GO ENJOY AND RELAX!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank SLO24
england
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We came here in December last year to celebrate our wedding anniversary and fell in love with the place. We had a long journey (which is to be expected) and there was probably about an hour transfer from the airport, but the roads are fine (nothing like St Lucia...if you've ever been there you'll think this is like the M1!), but as soon as we arrived at the hotel we were looked after. Cooled face towel and glass of bubbly on arrival, and the bags were whipped away and taken to our rooms.

The rooms are large and. I wouldn't pay for the upgrade rooms, as I believe these were at the busier end of the hotel and the standard of the other rooms is great!

The food was FANTASTIC! You can eat litterally anything you want. The only thing which annoyed me was that people could be so rude to the serving staff at breakfast and lunch in the buffet. Grunting at them rather than smiling and asking nicely for what they would like.

Just as a note to our American cousins (and I am not lumping you all in here, but as I witnessed, the majority...) it is either 'Gracias', or if you are not happy with speaking Spanish 'Thank You'. They understand that too.

The staff are lovely and so helpful, and if you don't feel a bit guilty for such poor people giving you such unconditional friendliness- you don't have a heart.

The beach is great and private, and you can lie around all day, and the waiters will come and serve you drinks. The beach BBQ is lovely and means you don't have to go inside for lunch if you don't want to.

The only thing I didnt think was great was the room service, but we only did this once when we had out anniversary breakfast in bed. Its such a long way from the kitchen.

Our anniversary dinner was lovely, with rose petals on the table and a special menu printed just for us.

The pools are all clean and lovely. The cascade pool was our favourite as it was a bit quieter. There is a pool bar, which is fine if you like things a bit louder...There are plenty of places to escape to if you don't.

I really can't fault this holiday, the people and place were fantastic. The only thing that let it down was maybe the attitude of some of our fellow guests.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
9 Thank hickers
Merseyside
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We went here on our honeymoon in June this year...it was the most amazing holiday i have ever had. The food was totally 5 star, and as a chef's daughter i should know. The head chef is often seen walking round checking everything is perfect and in order. The staff cannot do enough for you and always willing to help with whatever you need. The drinks are all brands everyone recognises and the house wine is lovely. We got a little confused as it is an all inclusive resort, when on our first night we were given a wine list that is priced....don't worry just ask for the house white or red. Its just a standard practice as i presume that a lot of American wine conercers prefer the choice. But i love wine and can recommmed the house bottles very much. The spa is amazing and very very tranquil. On an odd note after fainting, due to the heat, the staff in the spa were very vigiliant in calling for the on site doctor who was very nice and spoke good english. Additionally there was no cost charged to myself and my husband. This just make you feel more secure. The entertainment is good...the Michael Jackson show was fab...but very eary when he happened to die the next day. The beach is stunning and says paradise all over it we got up for sunrise and it was very very romantice. In this resort you don't feel trapped or closed in like with some resorts its far to big for that yet you feel so at home from the moment you arrive. We took the excellence club packaged and found this very pleasent. We were able to take a couple of DVD's out to watch in our beautiful room, get a light breakfast, go and use the internet, which is free in the excellence club. They also have webcams if you wish to talk face to face with say your kids....just what i saw someone doing infact, The last part is gift shopping go to pandras box the couple there are great and will make sure you get a good deal. We are definatley going back and i would highly recommend this hotel/resort to everyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple