We stayed here Sept 20-26 2009 for our honeymoon. After the shuttle ride from hell, we were met with champagne and caviar. We ordered room service the first night and now wish we had tried more of the restaurants offered at Excellence.
The staff was really friendly, even the grounds keepers would speak and say buenos dias. The drinks were plentiful and if you wanted more alcohol in your drinks all you had to do was ask. My wife liked the low octane drinks so she could drink more throughout the day.
Try all of the different restaurants the resort offers. It IS NOT buffet style and you order from a menu. The presentation is set like a 3-4 star restaurant. We tried the Mediterranean, Chinese/Japanese, Lobster House, French and had dinner on the beach one evening. All of the food was excellente! They did not offer a lot of snacks but the three meals a day kept you from needing a snack. Room service was available 24 hours a day and they brought personal pizzas around the pool and beach during the day for snacks.
I would not recommend doing the VIP package unless you are on a honeymoon. Otherwise the hard liquors are always available at nearby bars. The VIP lounge was nice for the Internet service and PCs set up for use. The VIP lounge also had a big TV to watch whatever you wanted. The rooms had nice 32" flat screens but there was not much time spent watching TV. However, if you get a chance, watch channel 21!
We did two different off resort excursions. The first was a ATV/ 4 wheeler ride thru the area. We rode to a cave and swam in the freshwater. The children are waiting for you for tips and will wipe your feet and offer the ladies flowers for their hair. There are also some vendors set up. They will give you a necklace or some other cheap gift in an effort to have you look at the goods they are selling. DO NOT buy cigars from these folks. Some are rolled with banana leaves and have dried out. We went to a small coffee and cocoa plantation and we were offered some hot cocoa. You could buy some coffee or cocoa but no high pressure or anything. We then went to the Caribbean Sea and swam a little while. The beach vendors wear you out trying to get you to buy from them
The second trip was to the mountains. This was with the Funny Monster tour. HIGHLY recommended. We got to see a lot of the country side and see how folks really lived. They are a poor but proud people. This was an all day trip. We got to see a local school. My bride enjoyed this being a teacher herself.
My tips would be to only tip the porters, bartenders and housekeeping on the last day. $1 is a great tip for all of these folks. Don't over pack and you can use the laundry service offered by the resort. Don't bring any food. Bring an exttra pair of sunglasses, nice sandals and a good attitude and you will have a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., Expedia, Holiday Gems, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence