“Fantastic holiday, ignore the complainers!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto
“Fantastic holiday, ignore the complainers!”
Reviewed 6 November 2009

My partner and I just stayed at Excellence Punta Cana (arrived home yesterday night), and we had an amazing time. We read several reviews about the resort and had some concerns, but have to say that those who found faults in this resort ... likely would find faults anywhere they stayed. It's a shame that these kind of people go on holiday and can't just be happy that they are in a lovely place, with superior amenities and superior service. We would gladly go back again.
The staff are accomodating and friendly, we had excellent service throughout our stay. Highly recommend the upgrade to the Excellence Club. Where food is concerned, there should be no issue finding something that will more than satisfy you. With eight restaurants to choose from there are plenty of options (and because it's all inclusive you can simply try everything and find what you like). The atmosphere was extremely relaxing. Because the pool(s) go on forever it's very easy to choose areas that are quiet and peaceful -or- if you like a little more action (nothing crazy) there are areas for that as well. Alternatively you can also choose to lounge in the breeze at the beach (strongly recommend the platform beds for a nap!) where drink service is superb.
Be sure to take advantage of the amenities within the resort. Definitely have a massage at the spa (fantasitc) and absolutely visit Rolando 'the pro' for a tennis lesson. We had lessons with him every morning and he was a pleasure.

For those who've read some of the negative comments, take note:
- There are do not disturb signs (you put a card in your door)
- The bugs are not bad (expect a bite or two a most)
- The beach is lovely - groomed every morning
- Yes bring your own sunscreen, advil, etc. (doesn't everyone know to do this?)
- The drinks are not watered down (if they were you could simply get another, it's all inclusive after all!)
- The drive to the resort is long and at times bumpy, but don't forget where you are (where you arrive is more than worth the drive)

We would gladly visit Excellence Punta Cana again! If you're torn between Excellence and somewhere else, choose this resort.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Biggarty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,598)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 5 November 2009

the beach was fantastic - the bugs were not. the hotel had to spray every evening with a heavy fog with noxious fumes - but even that didn't take away from the beach, the pools, the food, and the people. Everyone was extremely friendly.

Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KatherineT3
dominican republic
Reviewed 5 November 2009

my hubby and i had been in a 4star hotel earlier that week and there was such a horrible service that we decided to check out and try someplace else. i didnt know what to expect after that experience when i got there, but gladly it turned out to be a wonderful stay! the staff is very nice and entertaining, it was a breath of fresh air, we even won a bottle of rum in one of the games they do by the pool!

its such a romantic atmosphere, i love the beds by the beach and the pool, my room was so ample and different. huge balcony, living room, everything we needed. and a great view to the amazing pool.

food wise there is not as much variety of food since moslty its menu rather than buffet unlike other hotels nearby, but the food is very good and the restaurants are so welcoming and cozy. Overall it was such a beautiful experience. a unique service. and the vegetation and fauna module they have...amazing!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank inklily
Columbus
Reviewed 5 November 2009

My husband and I decided to stay here for our honeymoon. It was our first time ever going somewhere tropical. The taxi ride to the resort takes about an hour and is somewhat bumpy. The drivers there are very dangerous and scary.

Once you arrive at the hotel you are greeted with champagne and a cool towel. We go to check in and find out the room we booked (Jr. Suite Ocean View) is unavailable so they had to give us a different room with a pool view. We go into our room and everything is outdated. Our doors to the balcony were very difficult to open and there are ants in our room. We also come to realize that our AC is not working. We call to the front desk several times, and it was 2 days before they fixed it. The fan above our bed wasn't working either. And wasn't fixed until the day before we left.

After dinner our first night there we came back to our room so I could change my shoes only to come back to find our toilet had been leaking and leaked all over the bathroom and into our bedroom. Completely soaking some clothes and towels we had on the floor. My husband called the front desk and they said they would send someone right up. 45 minutes later a man comes up and messes with the toilet for a little bit then mumbles something to us and leaves. Then about 30 minutes later a cleaning women and a maintenance man come in. They didn't leave for another 30 minutes. It completely ruined our evening as we planned to go out, but couldn't.

The next couple days were OK at best. We spent most of the time in the pool as the sand on the beach is almost unbearable to walk on. I would also suggest taking a pair of sandals with you as the tiles around the resort are extremely hot also.

The drinks they serve you are watered down and full of ice. Not very good. And when you ask for no ice they get offended.

The food at the resort is not very good either. My husband and I both had food poisoning the last two days we were there. I went to the drug store and all of the Pepto Bismol was sold out (that should tell you something right there.) The lady in the drug store wouldn't help me and when I did buy something she just threw it at me.

Everything is extremely overpriced! For a small bottle of aloe it was $15 and a small bottle of bug spray was $30. I would suggest bringing your own medicine also, the prices are just outrageous!

It was very hard to get good service here. We talked to the manager about all of this and he wouldn't do anything. And everything we asked to speak to the General Manager they said he wasn't there. The only thing they did for us was give us two free shirts.

I was so upset by our stay I just wanted to cry. It was our honeymoon and it was nothing but a horrible stay. I was so glad to come back home again. NEVER will I ever go there again and NEVER would I recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Soph1017
Staten Island
Reviewed 4 November 2009

My wife and I got married at the Excellence in Aug 2009. We had about 30 people attend our wedding. Some of those people have never been out of the US. We had a wedding planner that went far and beyond our expectations. Ana did whatever we needed and made sure our day was the best day ever. Our guests had never been to a resort like this one. The were greeted with open arms. They were treated like royalty. The food was fantastic not only at the wedding but at the restaurants in the resort. Our favorites were Spice and Barcelona. We enjoyed the shows that the resort offered at night especially the Michael Jackson show. That was amazing. The bartenders worked their magics when making our Mai Tais and mamajawanas. Many of our guests had to be carried back to their rooms. Many of our guests had pool side rooms which they loved. We will be visiting this resort again and I have a feeling many of our guests will be doing the same.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Alain129
Arkansas
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Just returned from Excellence Punta Cana after a weeks stay. There were 6 of us traveling together for my niece's wedding. They were very accomodating and put us all in the same building and only doors away from each other. Nice touch when you are there as a group. We had one of our bags accidently dropped off at a different resort, but once it was discovered, they immediately went to retrieve it and all was fine. Check in was quick and painless. We weren't pressured at all to upgrade to the Excellence Club. They asked politely, I declined politely and that was the end of it. The beach is very pretty, and yes, the undercurrent is very strong. I was standing hip deep and a wave knocked me down and immediatly began to pull me out to sea. So be careful. We spent most of our time at the pool as it was nice to get in the water and hang out with our family and new friends. The service at the pool was fantastic. Never wanted for anything. People do tend to save lounges early in the morning. But that isn't the resorts fault, and we ended up doing it ourselves. Shade is at a premium. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Sandy and Jack, it was great to meet you and thanks again for suprising the newleweds by coming to the wedding. What a special thing to do on your vacation time.

I would rate the food about a 5. Not good, not bad. There is enough variety that you won't starve. I had one of the best steaks I've ever had at Barcelona. We all had some stomach issues, either while there or after returning home. Some worse than others. And believe me, I took all the precautions there were. I packed my own personal pharmacy and we used a little of everything in it.

Now on to the reason we were there. The wedding. What a beautiful place to get married. And the staff bent over backwards to make sure everything was perfect. Talk about stress free. They take care of every little detail. We were a little concerned about the photographer at first. Wasn't sure he really knew what he was doing. But we were so wrong. He really got some wonderful shots. It may have just been the language barrier. His english was as good as our spanish. But he was so nice and really did a great job. Everyone's English speaking level was different. But we had no problems with communicating. Don't forget, you're in their country. So learn a few words of spanish and enjoy the experience. Everyone there was extremely pleasant and very helpful. Overall, our trip was exactly what we wanted and expected. Very relaxing and very beautiful. I would definately recommend Excellence Punta Cana.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank twintaylor
Lancashire
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We stayed at the hotel from 14th October to 28th October. The trip was to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and my wife's 50th birthday, so we splashed out and paid for the excellence club upgrade. We thought it was worth it overall for things like the club room and the free internet.
The room itself was great, although on one night the air conditioning gave up. We reported it the following morning and it was fixed within an hour and worked even better for the rest of our stay.
The only other problem with the room 10211 was the loud music which kept disturbing us.It was still going at 4.30am in the morning some nights. When we reported this, we were told it was coming from outside the complex and there was nothing that could be done. However on the two occasions I complained to the reception it stopped within 5 minutes and it stayed quiet for the next few nights. On checking out the concierge in the excellence club was very apologetic and said that they were working with the police and the owner's of the place to get it stopped. We were offered a room change at one point, but didn't want the hassle of re packing etc.
Apart from this we had a fantastic holiday. We particularly liked Chez Isabelle restaurant.
The staff across the resort could not do enough for you, but we must mention the club pool concierge Carlos. Also Christian and Cleto who helped us enjoy our stay.
Finally thanks to Catherine our rep at the hotel, who was very helpful.
We would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple