“never go back”

Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Brooklyn, New York
“never go back”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

when we got there the room was wet a/c not functionoing were able to change rooms. the pool water was hot not refreshing . to get towels for the pool was far from the room it said swim up pool the pool was not outside your room
directly. the restaurants were not air conditioned the food was sitting out in the heat for hours. the excellence club lounge was the only place that had some a/c but again the foos was out all day in the heat.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roblynnlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,598)
  • Korean first
New Carlisle, Indiana
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Our daughter got married on the beach here, and it was great! The hotel staff was helpful at all times. Julito, Josely, yohanna, and Elisa, made our trip complete! These staff members made the whole trip fun, and wanting to come back for more. They provided daily activities that were fun and challenging. Thanks for making our experience at Excellence a memorable Vacation. Excellente!
Chris

1 Thank Chris90244
Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My husband and I stayed a week at Excellence for our honeymoon. Before booking, we checked out reviews on this resort and many others on this site and many others. Excellence had good reviews so we picked it. I am going to review each part of our trip.

Travel Time: Flight- Traveling from Ohio is an excellent flying time. We had basically 4.5 hours in the air not including our one layover. Anything more than that would have been almost too much for me. Land- Travel from the Airport to the hotel is approx an hour. We rode on a bus that stopped at 2 other resorts before reaching Excellence so we were anxious to get there, overall, it was doable, I just don't understand why it is so far from the airport.

Hotel- The hotel itself is beautiful. The lobby is gorgeous. There is plenty of help for your luggage and the people at the front desk are very friendly.

The Rooms: Probably the worst part of the whole trip. Our first room smelled like mildew. At first we thought it was just us until we opened up the room service menu and the pages felt damp. The bed felt damp. I started to get a headache and felt I was going to be ill so we called the front desk and asked for a different room and they moved us right away and were very accommodating. The room we ended up in was very nice but I agree with other travelers that they need to upgrade. The TV's need to be flat screens, the beds need a complete overhaul. However, the maid service and room service was exceptional. Every night, we had turn down service and fresh towels were never an issue.

Food/Drinks: Plenty of options. I was not impressed by the buffet. Some of the food just didnt even look good. I generally am very picky about food but I think the food left something to be desired. The best restaurant for me was the Oregano italian restaurant.
The drinks were very good. My favorite being the Copa Cabana and the Coco Loco- in the coconut. However, I did notice It took alot to get a good buzz and it is likely that they are watered down. But you dont really think about that while you are there.

Staff: As usually stated they are amazing. We enjoyed talking to them and asking them about their lives on and off the resort and how different it is than in America. It amazed us how many different people they meet every day and how they still managed to remember us and even our names. They were amazing. And never even acted like they expected a tip.

Entertainment: There is always something going on. During the day they have dance classes, cooking classes, spanish lessons. They have games in the lobby. They have a really good saxophone player. At night, they have pretty decent shows such as the Michael Jackson and the circus.

Beach/Pools: Absolutely loved both pools. They kept the pools immaculate. Every night and every morning they were in the cleaning them. Do keep in mind they close at 6pm. We were upset about this at first but it was ok. Normally we would go swim after breakfast for a couple hours and then be done with it anyway. The beach was very pretty and really relaxing. The have hammocks, beds and plenty of beach loungers.

Overall: I would return to Excellence. We had a fabulous time. My major recommendation is that they redo the guest rooms.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We returned from a long weekend at Excellence and were disappointed to say the least. There were some things about the resort we liked - the beach is great, not Caribbean blue, but great waves and "warm" water. The only bad part about the beach are the excursion sales guys who are allowed to walk around and nag you about joining tours! I was surprised the hotel allowed it but I'm guessing they get some sort of kick back. Some of the staff was nice and responsive (and those who were got a great tip!), but most acted as if they couldn't be bothered. It was odd, especially because we generally travel to Mexico and are used to really warm hospitality. It was nearly impossible to get towels and it's not high season, so I couldn't quite get that. With regard to the food, well ... I liked the desserts ... but that was pretty much it. We thought the food was disappointing all around. Nothing tasted like it was supposed to taste - the thai food wasn't really thai, the mexican wasn't really mexican (a fried burrito?). As for our room, the place smelled terribly musty and if the air conditioner is on too high the room is cold and almost wet feeling, if it's on too low, it's hot and wet. I realize this will also depend on the time of year you're there. The rooms are also terribly dated and could use some upgrading. The floors between "wings" are super slick, we saw several people nearly wipe out while we were there. The main lobby area is not well designed, not welcoming at all. It's almost like a sales room floor of white wicker furniture stacked everywhere. What really annoyed me though was how watered down the drinks are - or how they don't give you what you ordered. This was our first (and likely last) time at an all inclusive, so I'm not sure if it's a common thing but it was so blatant -- it was offensive. We ordered straight up tequila on the rocks and actually saw the bartender poor another alcohol and water in the drink ...? And the wine tasted so watered down it was barely drinkable. Anyway, we still managed to have a good time but I am really surprised by how great the reviews are for Excellence Punta Cana. We just don't get it at all ...

6 Thank fati07
CT
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We stayed June 26 - July 1. Although I'm not a seasoned traveler in the Carribean, this resort seemed to offer great value. You have to keep in mind that the rates are very reasonable for all inclusinve. The pool, beach and grounds are beuatiful. The rooms are nice, not incredible, but we spent very little time in our room anyway. The staff was very friendly, bartenders always friendly (you need to ask for top shelf booze when you order a drink). Housekeeping was a little inconsistent (sometimes bar got restocked, sometimes not).

Air conditioning - they have a very different standard for AC there. The room seemed a bit damp, nothing would dry out in the room. Not horrible, our room smelled fine, but even the air conditioned resturants seemed a bit warm to me. Also, the outdoor restaraunts and dance club were very hot by my standards. No ceiling fans in The Grill or Lobster house. Those would go a long way to comfort us from cooler climates.

Food - not great, but not horrible. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the beachside grill (ribs ribs ribs). Make your own judgements; two couples said the Mexican place was bad, but we loved it. I'm so glad we went on our last night. There was a review that likened the food to Red Lobster ( a chain in the US). That's about right, the food at Excellence may be a bit better, depending on the dish.

Activities - some are offered right there (horseback riding) but the snorkeling/diving required a one hour bus ride (each way). So your 4 hour snorkeling trip is really 2 hours in a bus and 2 hours in the water. Be sure to ask where the activity is offered.

Shopping - the resort shops are overpriced. Sunscreen is $25 US. If you face the ocean, and go to the left, you come to local shops (named Walmart, KMart, etc.) Sunscreen is $10 there. Plus cigars, souveneirs, etc.

Cab ride - it had its moments of fear. Depends on the driver, of course.

Rowdy Americans - yes, ever present. The swim up bar seems to be the nucleas of the rowdy behaviour. We stayed in building 14, at a far end of the resort. Very quiet. Also, the cascade pool-bar seemed very quiet.

Overall, a wonderful trip. The beauty of the beach, pool and grounds is worth every penny.

3 Thank foxct
Dallas
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I just got back yesterday and will start out with the good stuff. The resort facilities are awesome. All the common areas, pool, and beaches looks impeccable. The service was fabulous. Seriously there were tons of people who always made sure you had drinks. The bartenders and servers were I tipped them a few times but never felt like they excepted it. That was bar none the best part. Try the Mama Juana.

The food is top notch especially for all inclusive. We liked the Mexican the best but honestly everything was good, even the buffets. One complaint I had was we had to wait for dinner a few times for like 30 mins and I heard the place was only at 50% capacity. I bet there are long waits in peak season. The other issue I had with food was that some of seating outside and was hot (especially the French which was in a courtyard with no breeze) and even the AC in the inside restaurants was only so-so. Also there was a very good selection of room service goodies. The beach grill lunches were also tasty.

Now the bad part. The rooms are very outdated. The beds are awful. I saw some people described them as firm. I would describe them as old and cheap. Seriously the mattresses are something like a homeless person might be sleeping on and I am pretty sure the sheets are around 50 threadcount. Why such a nice resort has such terrible bedding and mattresses is beyond me. Also there is no blackout drape. So as soon as the sun comes up it comes through the thin curtain making it impossible to sleep in. Also the room was muggy and the AC worked only okay in the room. I would say it kept the room about 78 degrees. Also just the attire in the room was tired in needed a facelift. The non-flat tv and the bedskirt hanging from the bed canopy don't help the rooms. Also the shower is small. I mean small. And the water temp would go from burning hot to ice cold no matter where the water temp was. Also our friends room had a dripping leak in the ceiling the entire time we were there. On the bright side the maids kept the rooms very clean. The only other bad things were the bugs at night and that they always try to push the extras on you like spa and ala carte wine. Also wireless internet in room worked only sometime.

I know I made it sound bad but the pools, beach, service and food were so good, I was willing to overlook the room. I would go back and I felt like it was a good deal for the money. With just a bit of upgrading on the rooms this could be a 4.5 star resort as advertised.

1 Thank bigcbass
durham
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Stayed here for 2weeks for our honey-moon.Enjoyed every second.Can not understand people who put negative reviews on about this hotel.We found the staff friendly and helpful,tips were never expected but gratefully recieved,$1 is here and there is hardly going to bankrupt you.Restaurents were great,Spice by far our favourite.Good selection of drinks,even premium brands.Grounds etc well maintained,there always seemed to be somebody doing something to keep it that way.Rooms were fine,no sign of musty smell people mention.On site trip sellers-wear orange-were friendly and a simple no thanks was enough.Onlycomplaint was the weather in 2nd week,something hotel has no bearing over.Would recommend this hotel to anybody.

2 Thank viper1966