“Wallet Stolen!”

Ranked #88 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wallet Stolen!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Fishing Lodge is all for looks. The grounds are beauiful but the customer service was horrible. My husband's wallet was stolen right out of his bag so that was really upsetting during our honeymoon. The food was okay but cold 90% of the time. We only got a hot meal when we went to the little italian spot on the grounds. We paid for a cleaning service because we rented through a private owner and they never provided us with the basics like wash cloths or toliet tissue. The service cost us $70.00 and we had to pratically act like crazy people at the front desk to get the basics.I will say there were some staff there that was nice and helpful. I never write reviews but I want to save anyone thinking about staying here. It is the worst! Don't stay here because you run the risk of being pissed during your stay. Check out the other properties that they own which are %100 percent better than this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
NY
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Al Sol Luxury Village

Before I get to my review I want to preface it with a little background information about myself to give the reviewer some substance and meat. I was born in Nafplion, Greece in the Peloponnese. I grew up as a youth jumping off rocks into the crystal clear Aegean waters.  Raised in NY for 40+ years I have traveled both for professional reasons as an architectural photographer and stock photographer for National Geographic. I have visited London, Paris several times, Austria, Italy, Santorini, Mykonos (many times) and Greek Islands most wouldn't know. I spent a month shooting Prague, Bermuda several times, Turks & Caicos, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Belize. I spent two months on the island of Anguilla this past Sept./Oct. and traveled the whole island of Puerto Rico shooting. I have been in 5 star hotels (Hilton/Ritz Carlton/ Westin/Concorde) I have slept in shacks, I have slept on the beach...I have experienced just about every possible accommodation you can imagine. I have eaten in the finest restaurants in the world, I will stop and eat street food every chance I get off a side road. At this juncture in my life nothing phases me anymore.

Al Sol Luxury Village

This is one of the most interesting and unique experiences I have had. This is truly a village, megalopolis of the Caribbean. Brobdingnagian in nature, I'm happy I spent two weeks here to fully grasp the size of it all. I would love to meet the engineers and developers who came up with this concept.  The village is laid out like a small European village perhaps in Spain, Greece, or Portugal. Pastel colors line the buildings, ornate carvings of woodwork on the doors. Visually it's beautiful and very well laid out. There are three pools designated for specific vacation experiences. The resort caters to primarily all-inclusive travelers. My wife and I did not opt for that, rather, we chose just to book the room due to the fact we were going to be staying for two weeks and knew we wanted to sample the various restaurants in the area. However, everyone we met that was all-inclusive explained the food was amazing.

The entire village is immaculate, every detail is cared for. You won't see any debris anywhere...you wont even find a cigarette butt on the ground as the place is kept spotless. The vegetation is world class, I loved that. The pools were magnificent, I have been in some nice pools in my life time but these pools were about as the best I have ever seen. I couldn't believe how well kept they were, you couldn't find a single thing floating in them...crystal clear, warm...beautiful to the extent my wife and I enjoyed swimming in the pools three times a day.

We were put in a junior suite about 1,000 square Ft. Full stainless steel kitchen, Silestone – quartz countertops, large living area with flat panel TV. We had a walk-in closet that was a pleasure and the king sized bed was amazing. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it reminded me of the heavenly beds from the Westin hotel chain. The bathroom was built with travertine noce tumbled marble, I recognized it immediately as I have the same marble in my kitchen. Two sinks, large tub, stand up shower, awesome set up. We had two veranda's one adjacent to our bedroom and one in the living area. The air-conditioning was 1st class, I suspect it was one of the new Mitsubishi units on the market...couldn't even hear it, you could hear the fridge more than the A/C.

The Staff -

What a great crew of people, everyone was very nice, polite and accommodating. As an American we assume the whole world speaks some English in our arrogant ways but not the case here. Although it was challenging at times trying to communicate it was also fun. The front desk and concierge speak fluent english. The staff was awesome, they couldn't do enough for us. We tipped along the way and I encourage all to do so. Smile in the mornings, say "Hola" as it goes a long way, remember you're in someone else's country.

The food -

Wonderful, fresh ingredients was the 1st thing that stands out regardless what you eat. Il Cielo on premise was magnificent. For the reasonable prices they charge you'll eat world class food prepared by the finest chef's. We fell in love with El Portico just down the road. The risotto was amazing and their regular menu to die for. They give you a complimentary appetizer. If you yearn for a pizza that's the place to go. They have a large clay oven that's fired with local wood that produces a thin, crispy personal pizza with a smokey flavor.

The Beach -

The resort has allocated a 60 foot span where you can enter the water but as others have written there really is no beach. Having said that, it didn't matter to us, the pools were so magnificent I didn't miss the beach. For those who want their toes in the sand just take the $3 taxi ride down the road and you'll have Caribbean beaches for miles. Al Sol is part of a large marina consisting of million dollar yachts. There's no commercial fishing here, no para-sailing, no seadoos, no banana boats...there's none of that. The place is very quiet. So, just to be clear and fair to all, know what you're bargaining for here with regards to a beach.

The entire resort is about 70% complete and after several days you'll notice it. I didn't hear any construction to the extent where it was annoying so that was good. I can only imagine what a special place this will be when finished.

Kudos to management for our wonderful stay and a thank you to all at Al Sol! I can't wait to return - to everyone else, just go - you wont be disappointed, I can't imagine anyone not having a great time here.

John & Charmaine

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the marina.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank magiccoffee
Santo Domingo
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I happen to visit this place quite often since a friend owns two properties there... Staff is rude and not used to have people complain about the services not done.
I been visiting this place for probably a little over two years, seeing them go thru different managements but this is the worst.
Last weekend I came to the apartments had the cleaning service paid, the following weekend realized it was not cleaned and I am still waiting for the apartment to be cleaned (two hours and nobody shows up).
I don't think the administration is on the right track, I don't see the hotel service picking up if it continues like this.

Stayed April 2014
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed in the Fishing Lodge during the Easter weekend! It was like paradise. My child and my friend's children had a blast. And we had a blast too!!

Blondie is the best with kids. She is very friendly and was always trying to make the kids happy, giving us - the adults - some quiet and peaceful time. :)

Red Bull excellent zumba lessons! Excellent massages too. :)

James Bond, the best Easter Bunny ever! :).

The hotel is very clean, the food was also great. Best Guacamole wraps!

We were able to go fishing with Island Marine charter, a private charter in the Cap Cana Marina. We had a blast and the kids loved it too. Great pictures!! Thanks to Humberto and his crew!

• Stayed April 2014
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The incredible staff at Alsol Fishing Lodge is by far, the distinguishing identity of this classy and inviting all inclusive resort. From the moment I arrived, folks such as Victoria, Eduard, Kabuk, the wonderful concierge Eskarletand, and Red Bull addressed all my needs and wishes. I found all of them easily accessible and more than able to accommodate all of my requests. The hotel itself is expansive in size and scope, but the staff invokes a since of warmth and homeyness. I simply wish my time here never came to an end. I look forward to many more visits, hopefully in the not too distant future.

An extraordinarily satisfied customer

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TheDon241
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just returned from 7 wonderful days in Cap Cana at the Fishing Lodge. The resort is actually managed under the name Alsol Luxury Village, so search trip advisor for that resort for many more reviews, including my own.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is one of the best places I have ever been...The Resort has everything..great golf ...great places to stay..and great restaurants....beach is wonderful..and then go to the Fishing Village..and I believe it will only get better...

Room Tip: every place is good..
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple