“A good alternative to the all-inclusive resorts”
Review of The MT Hotel

The MT Hotel
Ranked #83 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A good alternative to the all-inclusive resorts”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel has the potential to be a leading hotel in Punta Cana and I wish I could give it a higher rating than average. The check-in was absolutely the worst experience I have had. The hotel clerk didn't speak any English and made no effort to understand. She was very indifferent regarding our concerns throughout our stay. We made the reservation with www.booking.com using an American Express credit card to secure our reservation. When I gave the card to the hotel clerk she said it was declined. I called AMEX to notify them of the issue and we tried several more times. I spent 30 to 45 minutes trying to get a bilingual representative only for the hotel clerk to finally say in broken English - "oh, we don't accept AMEX". OMG – I was so mad! I used another card and we were off to our room. We booked a room with two twin beds. The room was clean (the entire hotel sparkled!) and spacious, however we were missing towels and there were no curtains in the bathroom window. Everything in the room worked except the refrigerator and safe. Later after trying to get the safe operational we were given a key to the safe. NOTE: Some parts of the room (a/c, ceiling fan, TV, bathroom) power is controlled by the room key. When the room key is removed from the controller the power is automatically turned off 30-60 seconds later. The rate included breakfast which was held in a nice dining area with the option to eat out on the patio. The dining area is adjacent to the main hotel. The pool area was very nice and the grounds were clean. A large section of the hotel was closed and looked as if they were renovating this area. We did hear the noise from the club/bar that other reviewer described but we were far enough away that it was not a major concern. The location is central to a lot of activity and there were several restaurants to choose from. The hotel is not walking distance to the nearest beach. We had a rental car and drove to the beach, casino, and shopping malls. Driving in Punta Cana is not for the inexperience driver. I would recommend this hotel for its value and cleanness. However, the service could be improved greatly if the owner/management would consider hiring a clerk with some English skills - this was our only source of aggravation and who needs aggravation while on vacation?

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank John G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my friends in april because we actually wanted to get to know the real punta cana, drive around and go places (its hard to do when staying at an all inclusive) and right after a couple days we had reservations for the grand paradise. Oh my what a surprise it was for me to see that this little hotel is so awesome!! The rooms are extremely comfortable and clean, staff is great and it actually felt like home. Great price! I actually felt like i was cheating them a little because they should charge way more for the kind of service you receive. It was the highlight of my trip because the grand paradise was terrible ( it was the weekend before they closed down for renovations and the service was terrible as a result) so yea it was better than an all inclusive in my opinion. If you want to get to know the culture and not be isolated the way you are at an all inclusive this is totally the way to go and save a ton of money. Wifi only worked at night though and of course like the other reviews say you only get breakfast here but theres a lot of places to go around here and you get to see the real punta cana.

• Stayed December 2013
7 Thank Jerikitaxr21
Punta Cana, La Altagracia, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 16 November 2013

As for all my reviews, i start out by stating that i am a dominican and i live in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area. I love to go out and about and explore everything about my town so I can go on websites like this one and give future visitors an honest insight and opinion so they will have no surprises!

I stayed for 2 nights in this hotel recently(my house was being fumigated). It was recommended by my uncle who stays there 3 times a week while on business here. I had never even imagined that behind Plaza Brisas there was such a magnificent place to stay!!! I LOVED IT and I will absolutely go again!

The girls at the front desk are absolutely devine. I had a slight water problem in my bathroom and they were on top of it until it got resolved. The bed is comfortable, A/C worked, cable tv excellent (I took my HDMI cable and hooked it up to the TV so i can watch my shows online!) WIFI signal could be better but worked. Breakfast is included. The grounds are exactly as you see in the pictures posted by other users.

The best thing about it? It's right in the middle of town! In the same plaza you have: Solo Pollo (local food), a pizza place, a german burger joint, a lebanese restaurant, a coffee shop, a bank, a tattoo guy. Literally walk 1 minute and you have a pharmacy, a supermarket, 2 liquor stores, an icecream shop. Buses go up and down all the time to take you to other places.

All in all: RECOMMENDED! I will stay there again and will continuously recommend this place.

Hope it helps!

Room Tip: Either side will be slightly noisy as you have 2 liquor stores nearby blasting music. It didn't...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank Claudinne C
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Excellent option in Bavaro. Price quality ratio very very good.

20 minutes from the beach, one of the best option for Bussines purpose stay.

Very clean, nice rooms, good breakfast, good service....

Very good Italian restaurant Just beside.

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank Licey7
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I had a terrific time. All of the staff was outstanding, helpful and friendly. Our room was very nice- comfortable king bed, AC very cold. The only knock was the wifi in my room the signal was not very strong. The hotel was a little ways from the ocean. Breakfast is available at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank KenSheips
Geraldton, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2013

i stayed at the MT Hotel recently and was i ever surprised, its a beautiful, clean and friendly place with a beautiful pool and fantastic atmosphere, there are many little nooks and hideaway places to sit and read or just to relax and enjoy. they offer a continenal breakfast and near to the hotel there are many places to eat and even a small super market. This place is great for a short stay or for a romantic getaway for a couple but it is a little ways from the ocean, renting a car would be ideal but you could walk or take a taxi although punta cana cabs are a little expensive, motorcycle taxis are cheap but make sure the driver is wearing a yellow vest, they are registered taxis and are generally safe. I visit The Dominican Republic often and i will definately stay at The MT Hotel again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Vince S
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Loved the stay here...so cool of a place! had a dead battery in the am & had so much help from people in the parking lot to get it going. It has a great Italian restaurant right beside it which was delicious. The hotel is so cool, clean & has an amazing feel to it. Going back in a few weeks & can't wait :)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple