Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$334
Excellence Resorts
  • Breakfast included
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$525
US$379
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$574
US$385
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$516
US$443
Priceline
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$474
US$336
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$293
US$252
US$331
US$241
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$363
US$311
  • Breakfast included
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$353
US$257
3,848 results
All reviewsvip poolvip areamonte cristola bambolamontecristo buffetsports barpalm treesmain poolcaribbean streetspecialty restaurantsvip roombeds pushed togetheropen conceptdominican republicentertainment areaentertainment staffitalian restaurant
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Ok, let me first start off by saying that by reading a lot of negative reviews that people posted here are written by people who were either fighting with their spouse/significant other, having a bad day, or just people who will never be satisfied by anything. I stayed here with my girlfriend from January 17-24th and it was amazing. A lot of people complain that the food in the buffet isn't all that great, well we are from New York City where different varieties of good food are the norm for us and we could not wait to go to the buffet every day and pig out.(the buffet is mostly where you will be eating since it really does have the best food and doe not require reservations). The pool area is really nice with a lot of chairs and beautiful design. The swim up bar is a real plus. The mixed drinks around the three bars are very good and are served by very lively and friendly bartenders. *TIP* If you tip the bartenders now and again they will take care of you by creating "secret" mixed drinks for you to try without even asking and make sure you will get taken care of first when the bar gets hectic. You might find yourself at the sports bar pretty often since it is open 24/7 and has a great atmosphere. The staff do lack English language skills and sometimes it may be frustrating, but they always keep a positive attitude and are very, very friendly which makes up for their language since no intellectual conversation is really required. When the hotel staff walks by you they always say hello and this creates a very warm feeling. The excursions are amazing, Dolphin Swimming and Speed Boating are a definite must. Do not be scared about taking excursions on buses outside of the Casino. The locals you may interact with love tourists and do not try to kidnap or mug you. The room is amazing and looks exactly the way it is on the website. *TIP* If you throw the front desk an extra $50-$100 at check in you have a chance of getting a room with a better view. The bed, despite what some people might say is really great. We enjoyed Bavaro so much that we didn't bother going to any of the other resorts except Macao for the casino (stay away from blackjack dealer Ramon)
For anyone that was like us and began getting scared after reading some of these nasty reviews before we took off, don't be. If you are the type of person who isn't easily impressed but at the same time isn't the Prince of Whales you will have an amazing time here and be treated like Royalty. A few tips:

Don't be rude and you will get treated very well by the staff and they will take care of you even if you don't tip them

Try to catch the housekeeping lady and give her a couple of bucks and tell her you want extra towels

Avoid Ramon at the casino, he is a blackjack dealer that really knows how to make you lose all your money. I have seen a full table of happy gamblers winning hands now and again but as soon as dealers switch and Ramon takes over the table becomes empty in 5 minutes.

GO ON EXCURSIONS. Depending on if you booked with a travel agency or not the right excursion guy for you will be in the pool area in a little house by the bar or in the lobby at 11am.

WAKE UP EARLY!!! Reservations to a la carte restaurants need to be made before 11am and if you aren't making any make sure you are out and about before 1pm to grab a seat at the pool and get towels because they run out quick.

When buying gifts at stores on carribean street, haggle the merchant down to whatever you want to pay. Don't be scared to leave. I was trying to purchase 3 lighters, a shot glass, 2 magnets, and a little chain. The guy told me he will give me special price and typed up "$175" on his little calculator, but said for me he will do i for $115. I told him he must be joking and sooner than later I ended up leaving with paying $25 for all the items.

Room Tip: Tip off the front desk
Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
34  Thank Edwin S
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Just came back - we were staying in Riu Bavaro from 01/14 to 01/21. Everything was excellent, variety and quality of food, the service, and the place itself was all clean, modern, and shiny. Can not wait to come back!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
32  Thank Eric1818

We stayed at the Riu Palace Bavaro from Jan 14-21st
Beautiful beach, Nice Hotel rooms, food is better than expected if avoid the meat. Enough chairs and shadow on the beach.

Worst service I have ever seen. No one speaks English outside of the lobby. Room was cleaned twice in 7 days. For some reason they were attempting to do it when we were in the room - between 2 and 5 pm. Attempts to refill the bar are on the same schedule. It took 5 hours and 3 phone calls to replace the towels. They do something with the compressor every other morning at 7.

Everything else is positive. Also please make sure you have enough US dollars.
Only ATM in the area gives out Dominican Pesos that nobody wants to take.

Room Tip: Very limited number of room that are facing the ocean. Most are in Villas that sold as SensiMar in Europe only.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Igor N
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We spent a week at the new Bavaro for my husbands birthday. Overall we had a lovely time but I will give you the positives and the negatives.
I will start with the negatives only because the start of the vacation was a little shaky:

- check in should have been quick and simple but the front lobby staff spoke very little English, ( some are better than others) it took 3 of them to find our envelope.
- we asked if we had a nice room with a good location and the employee said he didn't know as he only worked there
- I asked if there were any quieter pools in case we wanted a break from the beach and he advised us that we should try the middle pool. Luckily our travel agent was on top of things before we went and had already told us that the middle pools were only for guests in the villa section. Could have been embarrassing to go there and be asked to move.
- we went to our room and the card wouldn't work. had to go back to the lobby and finally had someone come to the room with 6 keys and a machine to reset the lock. This would happen for the next three days but the front desk was always able to reset it there.
- I spoke to the concierge ( customer service) the day before my husbands birthday and asked for a cake at the Japanese restaurant where we had reservations. He entered the details in the computer but no cake at the dinner We did find a nice note and sparkling wine and fresh fruit in the afternoon.
- we also found our safe completely emptied of jewellery, cash, passports, iPad, computers...when we came back from golf. I called the front desk, my husband raced to the lobby and we were both told that since we had inadvertently left the safe open, they had everything in a bag for us. No note in our room...so a little frightening. We did get a note the next day from another hotel guest who I guess found it in his room. They tried to help us to keep our items safe and it was our fault but it added some drama.
- there is a casino just steps away at the hotel next door ( Macao) and we were lucky to have been warned by our rep not to play a " private game" called keno or something like that. They won't even let you stand and watch. We heard people lost a couple of thousand dollars and more and the hotel won't let you check out until you pay up. They give you some free chips to get you hooked and then the bets progressively get higher and people lose. My husband bet with the free chips and thanked them and walked away. It would have been easy to get caught up.
- having to keep track of the two towel cards is a bit of a pain...really...do people steal towels? Or is it so that they return them every day?
- also, being on vacation and having to stand in line every day for dinner reservations at 8:00 am is not great

Now for all the positives:
- the hotel has a beautiful beach
- the rooms are just like the pictures
- we had a room in the main building and it was very close to the spa and workout room as well as the bars, shows, etc
- the equipment is new and the room is very clean. Note to the hotel...more machines are needed as there were generally one or two waiting for cardio in the mornings or late afternoon.
- most of the staff works very hard and is very pleasant
- the food is very good and there are a lot of choices. Best was the Japanese (geisha) and the gourmet ( Krystal). I wouldn't have gone to the steakhouse ( Taino) but it is by the beach and the only restaurant to be outside at night. Getting coffee in the buffet restaurant in the morning was generally not easy or fast. But there are a ton of choices for any taste.
- we had no trouble finding chairs on the beach ...we usually put our towels out by about 8:30
- we also had no issue getting restaurant reservations but the one time we wanted to make a switch we were told that it was not possible.
- This was our first Riu having stayed at the Bahia principe and Iberostar grand hotels. I think for now it should be a four star but once the gardens are done and the staff is more experienced, they should get to a five star rating.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Cris49_12
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I want to start off with that this is my first time to punta cana. I am 25 years old and I went with my boyfriend and another couple.

When we first arrived we had problems checking in. The room keys they had given us did not work. They also don't escort you to your room your left to just roam around looking for it. I didn't mind roaming too much though because it soooo beautiful!....Once we got into our room, it was perfect no problems. We did not have a privacy issue, it seems the staff has started installing curtains by the bath tub cutting off the bedroom area from the bathroom. My room (0151) had the curtain the couple I was with did not. However, even if you did not have the curtain, in my opinion it was not that bad. The toliet was in a separate room and the shower had frosted glass. Our room over looked the street of the shops and club Pacha which we enjoyed at night because the music was awesome. One night that even had a live band playing. The food is average, typical buffet food. None of us got sick and we were all able to find something good to eat everyday. The italian speciality restaurant by far was the best worth getting up to make a reservation for. The steak ok was ehh the meat in the dominican I found to be quite dry. The japanese restaurant was good as well. We did not try the other restuarants because we did not feel like getting up so early to make reservations haha. When I did get up to make reservations though there was no problems and it was quick. The pool area is amazinngggg!!! and the pool bar!! I miss it there so much....We spent a lot of time there, I can't find anything bad to say about it. We were always able to find chairs and staff is very nice. The beach was gorgeous! and very clean in comparison to the other hotels surrounding our hotel. the waves were a little choppy but I like them like that I would have liked them bigger haha. Sand is sooo soft best beach I've been too. The VIP areas looked very nice but not many people at them. I would have liked a VIP room just so I was closer to the pool and beach but they weren't available :( Entertainment at night was decent, lacking at times but the animation team trys their best to get everyone involved. Our favorite was the circus show our last night and karoke night cracked me up. Everything shuts down around 1145 12am which was a bummer...They did have the sports bar but it was on the quieter side most nights. The whole resort seems geared towards family and older couples very quiet and relaxing...Would have liked a little bit more partying going on but we managed to still go out and have a great time. The whole palace is very very clean and beautiful and the staff is always working so hard and they are very firendly. We did have a language barrier not just with the staff but with other visitors, not many americans on this resort at all. Overall I would go to this hotel again but first I would like to visit another one in punta cana just for a comparison. I would recommend this hotel as well we had a fantastic time, I was on vacation! and it would take a lot to ruin my vaca wish I was still there!! :(

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple