“Just back from Riu Palace Bavaro”

Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Ranked #56 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This was our 8th trip to Punta Cana. We have stayed in the past at the Riu Taino (which was torn down and replaced by the Palace Bavaro), Riu Macao, Bavaro Princess All Suites (3x) and other hotels.

We stayed at the new Riu Palace Bavaro Punta Cana March 17 - 24th. I will keep this brief.
Hotel: Brand new, just opened in December 2006. Lobby is very funky and huge. Loved the theme of the resort with the purple colors. Check in was fine. They offer FREE wi-fi in the lobby which was a nice touch.
Restaurants: We ended up eating at the buffet all the time. I am a picky eater so some of the speciality restaurants were off limits for me. We did try to reserve for the Steakhouse but couldn't get in. They acutally close for two nights in a row. Buffet always had a large selection, variety of food.
Rooms: We had a garden view room. Very large, loved the layout of the separate bathroom, separate shower, bath. The one drawback was the bed. We had 2 beds pushed together to make a king size. Problem we encountered was the beds would move and there would become a large crack. We ended up stacking pillows in between. As well, the beds were very hard. I like a hard bed but even my back was stiff in the mornings. Rooms were kept clean.
Pools: Very large pools but we aren't pool people so just noticed them on the way to the beach.
Bars: numerous bars in the area. Unfortunately I didn't find the drinks were very good. How hard is it to make a Miami Vice (Pina colada and daiquiri together). We aren't big drinkers so no biggie.
Beach: Beach was wonderful, very wide and never any problem getting sun chairs. Most of the beach loungers were new. They didn't have the papayas for shade. Water as usual was great. Just watch out for the large rocks in the water closer to the right side of the property. If you stay closer to the left side - closer to the shipwreck water is great. Nice waves. We are BEACH people so we spent all our time on the beach.

All in all this was a wonderful resort and the RIU chain is great, staff members are very attentive and friendly. Would we go back? No, only because we like to try different resorts. W

Room Tip: I would make sure you aren't in the main U shaped rooms, some are above the restaurants and ente...
8  Thank SENSHOCKEYOTTAWA
Write a ReviewReviews (3,569)

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I will make this short and sweet , don't listen to the bad reviews , it comes from people that make their own issues that are complainers , perfect example had a guy come down to get his towel for the beach and handed the towel guy his room card to get in !!! when he was told he needs the towel card he made a big fuss and said he did not get one!! come on.....

Slept in everyday and not one issue getting a chair , beach , water , food , rooms are fantastic!!! drinks are good too except the draft , stick with the can beer , also the Caribbean orange drinks be careful , i had 7 of them and without notice found myself getting my wife to give me a helping hand to get to the room !! apparently i was not the only one , they are "creeper" drinks.

The weather is awesome , don't look at the weather reports before you go they are wrong...lucky if you get rain.

Don't get VIP as you will find yourself very lonely at the pool as nothing is going on , but if you want to not talk to anyone or take a hot tub in 37 degree temperatures this might be for you.

Walk down the beach to the huts that are selling stuff , don't pay more then quarter of what they are asking or your getting ripped off...just walk away and they will give it to you for what you said.

Food is good , just like anywhere though after the 6th day you want a nice home cooked meal....

again dont listen to the bad reviews, chances are its just people that have not followed the rules of the resort.

Someone took my towel im sure my accident , they will charge you 20.00US at the front desk , I gave the towel guy 2.00US and he gave me one.

One other thing , forgot his name but I tipped the pool bar server and he gave me 2 tickets to a club to get in free , I never went and then the next day he said he got in trouble because I never went and he had to pay the 20.00 and asked for the tickets back or if i could give him the 20.00!!!! ya i will be right on that !!!! LOL called him a joker and told him to get me a beer before I call his manager , never heard from him again.....don't get me wrong the staff is great but you will always have one corrupt one trying to make extra money while on the job.

Enjoy!!! you wont be disapointed

Room Tip: we had room 2127 and it was great....
5  Thank Poolside368
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Once again, our annual March vacation with three other 50+ couples. We thoroughly enjoyed the new Riu. We have visited many of the other Riu Palaces, including Aruba, Mexico and Jamaica. The new decor is quite refreshing though not as typical and traditional of what we have come to expect. Food is wonderful at the buffet, as all have stated...other than that our favorite was the Steak House. Entertainment staff is very energetic and fun....although the shows in the evening tend to be just a little lame. Excellent service for sure....all want to please their guests! If you are looking for a good beer.......well personally I do not drink beer, but the beer-drinkers that I was with decided to have anything but.....so fair warning!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank NONNIENy
Reviewed 24 March 2012

If I had to think really hard the only thing I could come up negative was my hairdryer in tHe room only worked on low. I hate buffets but I no longer can say that. Wow, we had filet minion, lobster, shrimp and any other thing you could possibly want. The service was fabulous, Our room was great and we were offered an upgrade when we got there. We used Olympus tours for hotel transfers and they were spot on. We walked miles and miles on the beach everyday, left our bags by our chairs on the beach and no worries. Everything was beyond expectation. If you want to party like a rock star at night then I would guess you would be better off at the Hard Rock. Would definitely recommend this trip....

Room Tip: To avoid noise from nightly entertainment don't stay in the main building. We brought a white no...
5  Thank VBGB
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We loved this Riu and can't wait to go back! This hotel is brand new and in the Caribbean, this is a luxury in itself. It was immaculate. There wasn't a musty smell or one bug in sight! The room was contemporary with a sitting area and a huge walk in shower with dressing area, a rain shower head as well as a massaging one. It had a large flat screen tv with a mini bar that was stocked every two days. If you wanted anything else, a quick call to room service and every need was met within 10 minutes.

The food was very good and plentiful at the Montechristo buffet. The ala carte restaurants were elegant and the food was delicious. The Taino restaurant had a lunch buffet that was close to the pool and the beach. The waiters, Wellinton and Domingo were the best! The view of the beach was gorgeous from this restaurant. Also, for those people who said there wasn't a restroom close enough, there was one right off of Taino. There was a coffee bar off of the lobby called "Cappuchino" which served a variety of delicious coffee drinks and another bar across from this.We never became sick from any of the food. The lettuce was washed so well, even better than I do at home! Reservations for the ala carte restaurants were quick and easy and made in the Italian restaurant in the morning. The lobby was colorful and really popped at night.

There were plenty of activities to do all day and night if you wanted to. We did yoga on the beach in the morning, then step aerobics, salsa dance classes and water aerobics. There were also water activities for the more adventurous, although the ocean was rough a couple of days. In the evenings, there is a pre-show at 9 pm (the violin player was amazing) and then a show at 9:30 on the opposite stage which was different every night. Our favorite was Karaoke night. The entertainment staff, Veronica, Pablo and Giselle, to name a few, were energetic and fun. A shout out to the classical singer Ashley!

This stretch of beach is the best! There are angled palm trees among a few large boulders which make beautiful photographs. No fake huts on this part of the beach! Shade is provided by the many palm trees here. If a vendor comes on the beach, the Riu security quickly dismisses them. There is a brick walkway along the beach that connects all of the Riu hotels which is beautiful. There are two shopping streets along the way, Caribbean street by the Bavaro and Colonial street by the Riu Punta Cana.

For the women out there, most people wore a bathing suit and cover-up to the breakfast buffet at Montechristo and then went on to the beach or pool. A dress or nice slacks for evenings were the norm. So you don't need to pack many clothes. We didn't go on any excursions, because we were unfamiliar with this island, but plan to go the next time.

The check in was quick and efficient. We were handed a welcome drink and our luggage was promptly taken up to our room. Thanks to Starlin for a great job! The Dominican workers are so friendly and hard working. We were always greeted with an "hola" and if someone did not understand English, we were directed to someone who could. The language was never an issue. So go and enjoy a wonderful vacation here. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: If you go to bed before 11:30pm, choose a room that is away from the entertainment center.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank COCOnuts-12
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This was our first trip to a RIU Resort, we booked (German) an oceanfront jacuzzi suite in the Sensimar section. To say first: there is no difference between the Sensimar and the VIP-section. The Sensimar restaurant has absolutely the same menu as the Krystal, and is only smaller.

The style of all buildings is a little fancy, a little plastic. Colours white, black and purple and artwork here and there. In my eyes pseudo-modern. The ceilings are very high, and there are no noise-absorbers like curtains, so it gets very, VERY loud in the lobby, the bars and especially the main restaurant. I think, you could have dinner with better ambiente in a subway.

The suite has ample enough room, new and appropriate furniture, a big shower and a seperate "throne", a little smelly because of improper ventilation. The bathtub is not separated from the sleeping-room. Big flatscreen, no HD-programmas though, so that the picture is blurry. Minibar (keep door of cupboard open to guarantee good cooling!), liquor dispenser, safe. The terrace with the shallow jacuzzi ensures a proper view of the beach - alas an equally good view of the people sitting in the jacuzzi or the terrace! There is NO visual cover, so we counted some hundred people passing our terrace (daily) in a distance of 3 Meters watching our belly...this surely is no worth the price of the suite if you aren't happy showing exhibitionistic habits.

The food was decent in all restaurants, the menu didn't switch during our visit. At he end it got slightly boring. The main restaurant had the usual problem: when you return to your table, you will eat cold food most of the time. Cocktails were not to our liking. If the Pina Colada comes from a beverage dispenser, this is disgusting!

The service was always friendly and courteous most of the time. A complaint (not working TV-remote and missing channel) was shrugged off and not been dealt with unless we engaged the guest relation lady. Rooms were cleaned very well (turndown service stole some dollars put on the cupboard).

The beach was not very beautiful, with little stones and a slope to the water, the water was not very clear, the ground uneven, and some seaweed floating in the water. The most annoying problem were literally thousands of strollers at the beach! The Dominican Republic has reached the point of "too many", so it won't see us again.

Resort, resort, resort! This was our overall impression of the hotel: everything too big, too close, too loud, too much. Never ever 5 stars!

Room Tip: If you want an oceanfront suite: never choose the basement!
1  Thank NurPorsche
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My wife and kids just returned from the RIU Palace Bavaro for March Break. As others have said recently, don't listen to the negative reviews. This hotel has EXCELLENT service, and the people who work at the hotel are gracious and really do bend over backwards to make your stay as pleasant as possible. I booked 2 rooms for our vacation and requested them to be side-by-side so that my kids would be close to us in the next room. When we checked in, the employee at the front desk named STARLIN they told us that they were not able to put us into rooms side-by-side (there was a room between us), but that they could do it the next day. No problem. The next day Starlin offered us two options of different rooms and made sure that we were happy with our choice. He is a great asset to the hotel and he made sure to come and say Hi to us whenever he saw us on the resort.
Whenever you need something in your room, they are very prompt in getting you whatever you need. When we arrived we discovered that our air conditioning wasn't working in the room. I called the front desk and within 5 minutes a technician came to the room and quickly diagnosed a loose connection on the sensor that is located on the sliding glass door to the balcony (the air conditioning doesn't work when the balcony door is open to save electricity). He tightned the connection and the air kicked on right away. After he left the front desk called to make sure that the technician came and that everything was working properly.
We ordered extra towels and water bottles a couple of times, and each time they would call to make sure that whatever we ordered arrived.

We booked the VIP section which was great for us since we had WIFI in the rooms. Make sure to ask for extra usernames and passcodes if you have multiple devices, they will gladly give them to you.
The pool at the VIP section was great for us since it was much quieter and less busy than the main pool. We never had trouble finding a chair in the shade or a sunbed, and that was during peak March Break. During my stay I saw non-VIP guests turned away from the VIP pool bar and also blocked from entering by the guys who hand out the towels. Service from the bar was good and we never had any issues getting towels changed. Yes, as others have said, the pool towels are sometimes not in the greatest condition, but that really didn't bother me since I just asked for a different one.
Also, as others have said, be careful when stepping onto the GRAY TILES around the pool when they are wet. I saw 2 people slip on them during our stay. The tiles are border decoration and are not the prevalent tile, but they do not contain any grit so they are definitely slippery. They are fine when dry, but be careful around them when wet.

One thing that definitely impressed me on this trip was how CLEAN the resort was. All day you will see the employees cleaning every single inch of the resort. I mean I saw the guys who give out the towels shining up the garbage cans and shining up the shower pole.
I even saw an employee getting onto a chair and use a rag to clean the dust off the outside overhead ceiling fans! I don't even do that at home...
The public washrooms are spotlessly clean and modern, including the ones outside the pool area. They all have that Xcellerator hand dryers that work so well and quick at drying your hands.
They are constantly mopping the outside walkways and re-painting things that need touching up.

FOOD - This is the one area that I think they can improve upon. The food at the buffet was OK, but did not live up to my expectations. I had been to this RIU complex twice before (at the RIU Bambu and another one that is no longer here), and I felt that the food tasted better those other times. The presentation was amazing and they had all the best selection that I could hope for, but for some reason I felt the taste just wasn't as good as I've had in the past at the RIU or at other resorts. The service was excellent though.
We did not go to any of the specialty restaurants, however they were never full and you can book them up to 3 days in advance which is a great option.

One of the best areas is the Coffee Bar in the lobby. Excellent cappuccinos and you have to try the Iced Coffee with Baileys. It's more of a dessert than a drink, but you'll love it. It's a great place to relax after lunch or before/after dinner.

All in all, I'm glad to have stayed in this great hotel. It was new, it was beautiful, it was modern, it was clean and the staff are outstanding. Just tell them what you need in a pleasant manner and they will do their best to accommodate you.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions on this resort.

ROOM TIP: If you are staying in the Villas, try to ask for a room on the end of the villa on the 2nd Floor. These rooms have HUGE balconies and are much more private.

Room Tip: Corner VIP Villa rooms on 2nd Floor have larger balcony. Main hotel has connecting rooms. Villa...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family