“Upgrade to VIP was great”

Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Ranked #54 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Blairstown, New Jersey
“Upgrade to VIP was great”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We just got back from our week long vacation last night.

Prior reviews mentioned about upgrading upon arrival and since we had 4 adults and 3 young adults I decided that would be a good option for us. When we arrived they gave us our keys, wristbands etc and I asked about upgrading to VIP. After going to visit the room first, I saw that it gave us the option of the separate VIP pool, closer location to the beach etc. I paid $250.00 extra for each of the 3 rooms which I thought was a little too high and looking back I think I could have got cheaper. Anyway after the week I can say for us that was the best decision I made as the private pool was unbelievable, never overcrowded. Large canopy beds by the pool, we would leave our towels and items on two of them and come and go all day. Never had anything stolen!

Rooms: No mold in any of our three rooms. One of the rooms sheets were stained and towels had faint stains. Room service is okay. Don't leave your patio door open all night, we woke up to condensation overload. You have to leave the AC on and have doors closed. One of our rooms had our 3 young adults who left cases open all the time, nothing was ever taken.

Entertainment: WOW! These kids really work hard, Red shirted staff are the entertainment and are dancing, playing games, etc from 10am till 11:30pm. They are a great bunch of kids, paid to get people to have fun, so if they find you joining in they will try to get you to keep coming back to events as you are a help to them. We joined in the aqua aerobics, the salsa dancing, the games, (darts, horseshoes, mini golf) it was very entertaining. In the evening we had to go up to win our prizes (rum and a certificate), then everyone sings we are the Champions (shampions). Evening entertainment is very good, lots of spanish dances and a show each night.

Food: You are in Punta Cana, eat the fruit and salads!!! we fell for the reservation themed restaurants, for us the restaurants: steak house, Japanese, Italian lacked one thing, a qualified Steak house, japanese and italian trained chef. They all made a good effort, but expectations were dissappointing. For us we made a joke out of it and it was our tradition to eat at our reservation restaurant then go for our meal at Monti Cristo Buffet. The Buffet we found to be very good. With 7 people all of us found plenty to choose from, never did anyone go away hungry. Save room for fruit, I ate fruit I had never seen before and make sure to enjoy the breakfast fresh juice bar! We are not big desert (cake types) but there did seem to be some unusual items up there. If you like red wine ask for the wine from Chile it's okay, the italian they offer is awful. Wait staff were good. Every morning the workers picked fresh Coconuts from the hotel trees and sell them poolside, what a great treat. I paid $3 eaters, $2 drink.

Tipping: I took $100 in singles, it was ample,I didn't feel pressure to tip everyone and only tipped where I felt appropriate. They really appreciate it.

Shopping: This was our biggest disappointment as we wanted to buy items, Caribbean street was a rip off, it belongs to the hotel and prices were too high. Sun lotion $28. If you walk to the right on the beach there are huts with items that are much more reasonable, you can barta with them much better. Same Sun lotion was purchased for $15

Day Trips: We did scuba diving/snorkeling at Catalina Island, 2 hour bus ride really shows you the real island life. Two scuba dives, snorkeling, time at beach was nice and BBQ on beach was okay. Snorkel boat ride to natural pool was a lot of fun.

Airport: Make sure you give yourself 2 - 3 hours to get on your flight. Not like the airports in USA. We arrived at the airport at 12 for a 2:30 flight and didn't have time for duty free.

Overall a great trip was had by all, great beach, good food, great people, Dominicans like to party!

Room Tip: VIP rooms are worth it. Ask to view before paying extra though.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
14 Thank Michelle S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Polish first
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Let me start off by saying that we had a trip to Colorado Springs planned but the wildfire ruined that so we booked this hotel about three days prior to arriving. Therefore, we already had a bad attitude towards this place since we truly wanted to go to Colorado and this was planned so late. However, I loved this hotel and this trip and I will break down each category in my review. We stayed for a week. Sorry if this is really long: there's so much to review and I wanted to be really thorough with it.

Rooms: Modern. The floor plan is all about being open, meaning a bathtub out in the open with no walls or anything! If your traveling with kids, don't plan on taking a bath unless your really open with being naked in front of your family. There was one big bed, which our travel agent didn't mention when we booked a room for four people. We were able to get a deal where between 9 people we got 4 rooms, so we were really lucky that we could split up so that three rooms had 2 people and one room had 3 with a rollaway bed. The rooms had a really gross musty stench, which made our clothes smell like it too. The room was also always damp and getting into the sheets at night was gross. The first day we got there, my boyfriend and I both felt sick with sore throats and stuffy noses and we discovered mold. The floor is slick tile, so if you get out of the shower with wet feet, your bound to fall or slip. The beds are super hard and when I woke up the last morning I actually couldn't move my back. Also, the toilet room is really echoey, so whoever else is in the room will hear EVERY detail of your bathroom visit, and I mean EVERY DETAIL! Overall impression of the room: a little cold and uninviting, and not Caribbean at all, which I would have liked more of. Oh, and each and every towel we got was stained, just like the sheets. You can also hear everything in the halls.

Food: Well, it was eatable. That's about it. I never had a meal that I really liked. The only good buffet was the breakfast buffet. The lunch buffet always had tons of flies on the food and the lunch food was never actually good. But when your hungry, you kinda have to eat it. That, and it's the only food there. The dinner buffet was the same deal. Okay, but nothing to write home about. The pasta was good, but I could've made it at home. The desserts were never what they seemed. You would order chocolate cake and some weird jello chocolate would come. We liked the Italian restaurant (all restaurants you need reservations 2-3 days in advance), but it was still only average in my opinion. Each restaurant only has about 4 options on the menu. Our overall theme of the food this week was: you never get what you expect! We would get something then bite into it and realize it's not what we thought it would be!

Staff: The staff was really accommodating but there was a huge language barrier. Most of them only speak Spanish so we got used to pointing at things and nodding yes or no. We did touch up on our Spanish skills though. The people who work at the restaurants are nice and brought us what we wanted even with the language barrier.

Beach: Really nice. Lots of palm trees so there was shade from the sun, which burnt us all. I even went tanning for a month before and still got a little red. Plus, it's so hot that you will want that shade! The beach is so nice to lie on and read a book because it's quiet, even with a lot of families with kids. The water was nice and refreshing without big waves. There are no waiters on the beach, but the pool bar is a short walk so it wasn't hard to get drinks. We never had a problem finding 9 beach chairs together.

Pool: Awesome! The water was a little warm, but sill refreshing. There was a swim up pool bar (the pink icy drinks are amazing) and we really enjoyed that. There was also pool volleyball and swim up lounge chairs. The pool is huge so we never felt crowded. Also, really good people watching ;). The entertainment staff did pool aerobics which was fun. Watch out for the tiles around the pool. They WILL burn the bottoms of your feet and you WILL slip on wet spots! They played fun Spanish music and I actually preferred the pool over the beach. Watch out for towel stealers! You have to hand in your towel card in order to get one, then return the towel to get your card back. Each lost card is $20, so make sure you watch your towels. We had one stolen but the towel attendant let us get off easy that time. Sometimes we couldn't find 9 chairs all together, but some of us stayed in the water almost all day so we didn't need one.

Entertainment: Excellent, Amazing, Fantastic! The entertainment staff was so much fun! They truly made the trip in my opinion. They ran all the activities and did this cool dance thing all day and all night. The dance is amazing, all week we wondered how they moved like that! Watch out for Veronica, Miguel, and Pablo. They are the staff members I loved most! Every night before the show they would dance with guests and go around to tables and talk. We loved getting to know them! The shows were really good every night. There were dancing shows and shows ran by the entertainment staff. Both types were good. The Michael Jackson show was incredible! The only downside with the entertainment staff was that each night they used the same lines and you have to applause for everything people do. It got to the point that if someone breathed you had to clap (just kidding, but that's what it felt like after a week)! After the show, that area would clear out and get quieter but if you stayed you could sit and talk with the entertainment staff which was fun. Warning: One entertainment staff member was REALLY pushy and often times would grab you to try to make you do activities. Don't be surprised if he's there and that happens. He's a little intense, but we got used to him after a week.

Shopping: There were some small shops which I really liked going to. I like supporting local small shops and we got some souvenirs from them. They are pushy in getting you to buy stuff but you can barter with them. I wanted a specific bag and went to each store until I found the lowest price, then negotiated with him to go even lower. They also do deals where if you buy more you pay less. It's fun seeing souvenirs that are handmade.

Overall, I really loved staying here. The entertainment really outweighed the smell and mold in the rooms and the less than average food. The resort is huge and has lots of activities during the day. If you play bingo, you can win tshirts, rum and hats and mugs! Really fun! I would recommend this to anyone, unless they are super modest. There are lots of topless women on the beach and no privacy in the shower or bath or toilet. Other than that, this resort had a lot of fun things going on all day and night. I have never been to another Riu to compare this to, but I've read lots of reviews saying it doesn't measure up. For me, I thought it was great and would like to stay again just for the shows at night and activities during the day.

Room Tip: If your traveling with more than two people, make sure you clarify that the room you are choosing ca...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank bnm5077
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Overall, there were many Pros & Cons from my personal experience at the Riu Palace Bavaro, but here's the truth about the resort regardless of other reviews.

PROS
-The pool & beach~ These areas were well kept and beautiful. The water in the pool while at times was warm, was refreshing and was a great escape from the heat. The ocean was gorgeous, (it does have seaweed) and there were lots of chairs in and out of the shade to lounge.

-Entertainment Staff- these members (as seen in red shirts) were incredible. Whether it was mingling around the pool, running the afternoon games, dancing, or running the nightly shows- they were nice, fun, and great to be around.

-Nightly entertainment shows~ as you may know, nights on islands can get awfully boring but not at the Riu Palace Bavaro. At around 9:30 every night there was a new entertainment show, it runs about an hour but the staff is very accommodating, and it makes th night more lively.

CONS-
-The rooms- I did love my room by the end of the week but do not be startled at first. The beds are very hard, which you get used to but they are nice since you can not feel the other person moving around. Yet, the bathroom situation is very awkward. A seperate room with a toilet is small, but is convienantly seperate from the shower but then there is the bath. Which is literally right next to the sinks in the open air, meant for honeymooners maybe? I couldn't quite figure it out.
WARNING: some rooms have funky smells (We moved because of that) & the temperature in the rooms is very cold.

-The decor~ Strangely the decor is very modern and edgy which is cool, but I'm still trying to figure out who put purple & yellow together in the lobby, thankfully the room theme is purple & pink, much better. It doesn't exactly look like a Caribbean resort, but it's beautiful in a Vegas sort of way, plus- you will get over it.

-The food- Not much to say here, the buffets have plenty options but the food is only so-so, not amazing, not horrible but the buffets will get old after a week or so.

So that concludes my pros and cons and here is a short summary. Contrary to other reviews, nothing was stolen from my room, and it's not nearly as horrible as the people overreacting on this website. There will be a huge language barrier, (brush up on your Spanish) with the staff, but it's not too troubling. For entertainment, you can chill on the beach or at the pool, play games such as ping-pong, volleyball, bocce ball, bingo and more by the pool, or even stroll along a cute line of shop located on resort. Overall, I fully recommend a stay at the wonderful Riu Palace Bavaro, Punta Cana.

• Stayed June 2012
7 Thank ATravelersParadise
geordieworldtour
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Firstly I apologise for the length of this review but there is a lot to mention and I have started with a simple list so you only have to read on for the detail. Also I will not comment on the decor, you will either like it or hate it but in reality it is not really going to effect your stay.

THE GOOD:
Reception area inc coffee lounge and bar
Rooms

Two tier guest system
Room service
Minority of staff

DETAILS
The food was simply superb and some of the best I have enjoyed anywhere comparing favourably with several premium locations I have visited.
The reception area is large and air conditioned with a bar and coffee area which provided a relaxing location for an afternoon coffee or evening drink.
Our room was large, immaculate and well serviced throughout our stay, the mini bar which included optics ( Rum, vodka, scotch, Gin) was restocked every 2 days or by request although the mini fridge did not really work, we mentioned this to reception and were told that 'they are not good" although they did send an engineer up the next day. The open plan design with the washbasins and bath only divided from the bed by a curtain, the shower and toilet are separate and have doors, may not be to everyone's taste but was not an issue for us.
The pool area was clean with plenty of shade, both fixed and umbrella type, and the waiters ensured we were kept well lubricated. The pool bar was separate from the main pool which again is something you either appreciate or dislike.
The majority of the staff were excellent and were both friendly and genuine. Standards of service were very good and a small tip ensured we were rarely without a drink of some description.

NOT SO GOOD
The beach whilst providing plenty of sunbeds and shade is not the peaceful Carribean beach you are lead to believe. There are signs announcing which section belongs to which hotel but in effect you are sharing your private beach with 7 other hotels.
You have to be careful when it comes to your room location. We were in 2067 and along with all others in this area had no chance of sleeping before 1am as the noise from the show echoed up the stairwell until midnight followed by the sounds of the staff clearing up and 'clocking off' as the staff rooms were also at the bottom of the stairwell. The rooms opposite did not suffer from the show but were woken early by the kitchen and buffet restaurant starting up. We were told that the rooms overlooking the Carribean street can also become very noisy in the evening.
The noise was not an issue in the VIP / Sensimar areas which brings me onto the next point, the two tier system. Whilst many resorts have this sort of system one of the attractions of RIU was that they didn't. Whilst I do not object to the principle the gap between the two standards seemed unreasonable considering the amount of money you are initially expected to pay for the 'regular' package.
Room service is a joke. The menu is extremely limited and special requests not available (unless you are in the VIP area). We asked if we could have a bottle of sparkling wine in our room to celebrate my wife's birthday and after initially being told "only if we upgrade to VIP" we were eventually told that it was possible. Despite calls to room service and reception it never turned up although we did get a call asking us we were satisfied with our room service, when my wife started to say she wasn't the caller suddenly could not understand English and rung off saying someone else would call. As with the wine nothing turned up.
This leads to my final point, whilst the junior levels of staff were fantastic the reception staff and other middle management seemed to have a bit of an attitude. In a resort full of Americans, Canadians and English it was amazing how many did not understand English if you had a tricky question. Might have been different with a VIP band????????

Room Tip: Upgrade to VIP
11 Thank geordieworldtour
Jackson, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My wife and I visited this fabulous new resort last week (the same time frame as the previous writer). We Loved it!!! There was absolutely nothing we did not love about it. It is Simlpy SUPER!!!
The food was superb with the buffet possibly the best overall venue, and the Steakhouse being the best of the gourmet restaraunts. As far as staff and service, the Hotel staff could not be friendlier or happier to help you with anything you need. Being seasoned travelers to multiple other Carribean destinations, not a one compared to the service and warmess of the people at the RIU Bavaro. I too heard negative things about visiting the D.R. however whether they are factual or fictional is irrelevant as I can only comment that a weeks stay at the very secure RIU Bavaro was probably one of the best vacations we've ever had. The Circus and acrobatic show on Thursday evening (6/28) was put on by an outside troop (not Victoria and her talented cast) and was most entertaining.
While neither one of us are big drinkers, we enjoyed several drinks per day and had to turn away the most hospitable staff who would constantly bring refills or food without being asked. This is an all-inclusive resort, that reaps no additional financial gain by this outstanding level of service and it was most impressive to behold.
Lastly when you do visist, there is a young man named Mello who is a server/attendant at the Montecristo Buffet who is undoubtedly destined for a greater calling. This kid befriends all that dine in his section, makes you feel right at home, and will do anything in his power to make yours an enjoyable dining experience. Again, if you have any doubt about this place, please re-read this critique and book the trip as soon as you can!!! Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: We did not have an ocean view, however all of the rooms have very nice patio-balconies as a great pl...
12 Thank Rich C
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My husband and I just got back from an amazing vacation at the Riu Bavaro in Punta Cana. We were there for 10 days to celebrate our 5th anniversary and absolutely loved every bit of it. For those who complain about the VIP option or the Sensimar section, you are trying to find something to complain about. You are one of those types of people who feel the need to always be superior. First of all, let me tell you, the VIP villas and the Sensimar area are the farthest away from the restaurants, the main pool, the lobby. There were people with VIP bracelets in the main pool because there is nothing going on over there. The main pool is much more eventful. Yes the swim up bar is in a separate pool. I see this as an adults pool and a family pool. There is also a kiddy section. The staff here was amazing, always friendly and willing to help. Yes there is a language barrier, but most of the staff know the English equivalents to their particular jobs. Nothing a little Spanglish and pointing can't figure out. There was never a problem finding a chair at the beach or the pool.

To whoever got called an idiot at the front desk when trying to exchange money, you probably are an idiot. We did it once to get smaller bills to leave tips and it was fine. You don't even need to exchange your money for Dominican pesos. US dollars are excepted everywhere.

The food was amazing. You can get breakfast at the main buffet, lunch at a buffet near the pool and at the main buffet and dinner at the buffet or at one of 4 specialty restaurants. We ate at all but the Italian. Krystal was my least favorite. Just not my style. The steakhouse and the Japanese restaurant were very good. My favorite was the buffet. One time there were giant lobster tails and jumbo shrimp tails and they were delicious!!!!! There is always something for everyone, always the same items as a fall back and always something new. Yes the Sensimar people have their own specialty restaurant. Seriously, who cares???? Take a look at the menu and you will see it is exactly the same as Krystal-which wasn't that good anyway. The cappuccino bar was great. My husband and I frequented there after dinner for a "special" coffee or tea, or milkshakes.

The decor of the resort is not typical for a Riu. For those of you who said it was tacky, an eye sore...didn't you research before you went? You knew what it was going to look like. Why would you stay there then. The rooms were updated, stylish, modern and the air conditioner was freezing cold. We had to ask for another blanket. (What a terrible problem to have, right?!?!) We never had anything stolen out of our safe. I find it very hard to believe that someone did. Perhaps they didn't lock it, or got drunk and forgot they spent their money. In fact, the woman cleaning the room one day asked me if the dollars I left on the sink were for her! I noticed that someone said the TVs were too small. Why are you going on an all inclusive beach vacation to watch TV? We watched TV maybe at night before bed.

The entertainment did not suck. If you expect a Vegas show, go to Vegas. The people in the shows at night are the same people who are working at the pools and the beach all day long. It was quite entertaining. If you a prone to mosquito bits, bring some off though.

There was always someone cleaning or painting. They mopped the sidewalks even!

My husband and I cannot wait to go back to this resort. We had the best time, met the best people and felt like the staff was so thankful we were there. I guess it goes to show you some people will find anything they can to complain about, and even the world's best probably wouldn't be good enough for them anyway. Go to this resort. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Just ask for the view you want, and you might just receive! We did. Free of charge. We did tip thou...
34 Thank AJEWisconsin
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 July 2012

First of all I rated this resort Excellent because the value is really good. I'm aware that this is not a true 5* resort but for the price you pay it more than delivers.

Second I stayed at the Sensimar section. Sensimar is a Hotel Group from Tour operator TUI. It's adults only and only bookable from Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands and Austria. So everyone is speaking German here. I did not book Sensimar because i wanted to be able to speak German all the time but because they have a soft animation so you can relax and don't have animation screaming around all day.

As a guest of Sensimar you have access to a seperate Pool with a Poolbar (no swim up).
You also have a seperate a la carte called Kulinarium which is excactly the same as Krystal.
Other than that it's pretty much the same. Oh forgot at the Poolbar they have Presidente in cans or bottled so that was nice.

HOTEL
Well it's been said many times that there's a new theme at this Riu Palace. It's very funky but the color combination seems a bit odd. Also the Lobby is extremely cold which makes drinking a coffee at the Coffee bar or sipping a cocktail at the Lobby Bar a bit uncomfortable. Check-in was quick no problems there. Also no language barrier at the reception.

ROOM
At the Sensimar the rooms are exactly the same as at the Riu. Look at the pictures they look excatly like that. Make sure to leave the door open infront of the refrigerator otherwise it does not cool down. They refill the minibar every second day no problems there. Also cleaning was very good and everyday some new creatures made with towels. Also the sinks got decorated and even the curtains.

POOLS
We stayed at the Sensimar pool most of the time because we got to know many other couples and the service was very fast around the pool. Also great that there is no towel game at all at this resort which is a big plus.

BEACH
Gorgeous beach. So wide and never crowded. Always plenty of loungers and so many palm trees to get some shade. Definately the best beach on this stretch of beach (including Iberostar, other Rius, Gran Bahia Complex and the Majestics).

RESTAURANT
We never ate at a a la carte so can't comment on them but heard the steakhouse should be avoided. The others are just fine.
The buffet is spectacular. Nothing you would not find here. Always fresh and they never ran out of something except for the cheese at the pasta station. Service outside is very good not so much if you want to dine inside. Also inside it's very loud so not really suited to have a nice long dinner. Outside smoking is permitted but not a problem.

SERVICE
Service at the Sensimar was very very good but i think it also had to do with the fact that germans do not tipp or only very little so when we gave them some big tipps because we thought the service was very good they brought the drinks bevor we even could ask we were very impressed with that. We were able to speak a bit english with some of the staff and even a bit german or french with Chrismond from Haiti. Ordering was never a problem but some staff really only speak spanish so it was hard to have a longer converstaion with them. But they tried their best to speak with you. I'm aware that spanish is their language so i had no problem with that and since i speak German, French and English i had no problems with conversations. However if you only speak englisch sometimes (only at the poolbar) it can be difficult.

RIU RESORT
We had a look at all the other Rius since we had access to all of them. Avoid the Naiboa it's a dump i'm surprised that Riu can allow themselves to have such a bad hotel in their chain. The other Rius including the Palace Punta Cana also seemed pretty run down and both have a much to small pool for the amount of guests. But i think the Macao will be very nice once it reopens as an adults only.

all in all we recieved very good value for our money and we would recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: Book VIP section you get the best of both worlds. Relaxing and if you want some action just go to th...
10 Thank Heise69