“Amazing”

Ranked #52 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
montreal
“Amazing”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We just came back from 2 weeks Oct 1 st .... Hotel is beautiful and is not as big as the other Riu's. it is very modern but very nice and clean.
The 4 a la cartes resturants are disappointing. The presentation of the food and service is great but the food not so good. We went to the buffet. They have everything you can think of and it is so beautifully set up. It is the best buffet we have ever seen. The service is great and even though the staff does not speak great english they will find someone who does and they will get you what you want. The rooms are very nice modern and clean. Nothing to complain about.
The beach is beautiful. They have a gym not very big rather disappointing as this is a new hotel and they have no weights which I found very odd.
Anyway go and see for yourselve and you will not be disappointed.
Beautiful vacation

Room Tip: If you have a Riu class card use it and they will upgrade your room.
7 Thank bheather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Checked in RIU Bravo palace on 9/28/12 check in was smooth even though we were not offered a drink upon arrival. The room was exceptionally nice and clean our housekeeper Marqerite kept our room spotless and always had something different design going on with the towels and the bed oh let's not forget the curtains. The entertainment staff was awesome they kept you busy Miguel and Scoopy do were the best. The entertainment staff did a wonderful job! You had dancing lessions, water aerobics, archery. Even after all that they also were part of the evening shows. The food was good there was something for everyone I am a picky eater and I ate well daily.... The staff is there to make your stay enjoyable so a few tips go a long way just a small way to say thank you. My husband and I checked out of the RIU on 10/05/12 had a wonderful time would have no problem returning people who give bad reviews.....I don't get it?? thank you RIU for a wonderful vacation

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Rena R
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Me and my fiancee stayed at this resort from Sep. 23 to Oct. 2, 2012
When we got there we were greeted by Natanael, very nice guy. He was very welcoming and friendly. He gave us a room but it was on the first floor, we asked if we can have a second floor and without any problems he made that happen. We had to wait like an hour for the room to be ready but that was not problem at all. When we got to our room it was stunning. Very clean, big, nice and modern decor, the view was amazing. The room was right on top of the lobby and overlooked the fountains, pool and the ocean...
Natanael THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! We are very greatful for your help, care and kindness. Every one at the from desk always greeted you with a smile and were very helpful at any time. There is free room service 24/7. It has minimum options, but it tastes very good.
The hotel is huge and just amazingly beautiful and very clean. The only problem i had with the hotel is the floors, very slippery everywere but its humid there so not the hotel's fault.
When it comes to food, well in the buffet you can always find something to eat but a lot of the meats were under cooked...The variety is pretty good and the deserts are just breath taking from the presentation to the taste.
The main restaurant which is called Monte Christo were he buffet is there is seating inside and out side. We always ate out side and the biggest problem there is the flies. Every time we sat down to eat, the flies would not stop. They always flying around you and your food and there are so many of them....I wish the hotel can do something about that, maybe get some fly zappers Pleaaaaasssseeee. (You may wonder why i didn't eat inside, well because i smoke and inside is no smoking).
The staff at Monte Cristo were amazing...They were always offering to bring you a drink, and always very helpfull with anything you may need.
Big THANK YOU to Kathy and Martinez, they were amazing and it was a pleasure meeting them.
We didnt try any other restaurants because they required for men to wear long sleeve shirts and i found that to be not necessary. Come on, it's HOT out. Plus, we didnt take any long sleeve shirts with us.
The pool is sooo beautiful and big. It was never crowded, did get pretty warm in the afternoon and there was no problem getting chairs. There is a bar in the pool but in a separate pool. You need to get our of the big pool and get in a smaller pool were the bar was, dont really get why it was made that way, but hey there were always bartenders walking around asking if you want a drink so there was no problem there....THANK YOU to all the bartenders that were bringing us drinks, they were all great, very attentive and fun to be around.....Big Big Big THANK YOU to Reymundo, boy this guy was amazing, he always made sure we had dry towels and that we were comfortable. He was a pleasure to be around everyday and always made us laugh.
Entertainment, well not the best. They definitely work hard but not the best. Throughout the years we had stayed at all the Riu hotels in Punta Cana and the Entertainment was better before. During the morning and the day there is aerobics, and many different games but very few crazy games that are actually fun to watch or participate in. In the evenings there are alot of shows like Michael Jackson, Magic Show, Vegas show but very few funny shows that involve the guests. During our 10 day stay, there was only 1 funny show (Ideal couple) that involved the guests which was very funny but that was it, i wish there were more funny shows and less professional shows, they get boring.
When it comes to theft, i was very worried because of the other reviews i read, but we had no problems. We purchased a travel safe bag and it had a wire and a lock attached to it, in the safe there is a loop on the top right corner through which we pushed the wire through and locked the bag in the safe. We were not presented with any reason to worry about theft.
One day the cleaning lady left someone else's room key in our room. I'm not sure why, but i guess she just forgot. I was still a little paranoid from the previous reviews so i was just taking more precaution and visited our room a few times a day.
Overall our vacation was very relaxing and we are very happy that we choose this hotel. The hotel is very modern, clean, amazingly beautiful, the staff are amazing and work very hard to make the guests happy.
We will definitely go back. I just hope the entertainment gets better.
THANK YOU all the staff that helped make vacation for us a great one.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. :)
If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.

6 Thank Lenchik25
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed at the Riu Palace Bavaro the second week of September with my boyfriend. We had an incredible time. The hotel was beautiful just like in the photos. Our room was ready and very clean. We were asked about upgrading but it was about 240$ more so we decided to stick with our room which actually had a view of the pool but also the ocean. We were away from the main dining areas which was good because at night the entertainment was quite loud.
The housekeeping did get skimpy with the towels by the end of the week but if you call they will bring you more. The room does get damp due to the heat and humidity mixed with the air conditioning. We brought an extra hotel key card so we could leave our ceiling fan on which did help.
The beach is one of the most beautiful I have been to. I have to say that the hotel had the workers out there cleaning the areas and sand every morning. There is plenty of sun or shade so whatever you prefer and they are plentiful.
The pool is nice and clean. The pool bar is also nice but do not rest your arms on the bar or tables without wetting them they are extremely hot. Service is good at the pool too. If you like shade then I do suggest the beach because most actually almost all of the umbrellas are missing the piece needed to keep them open. We used a stick some of the days. There were also children swimming in the pool bar which I found annoying. They should be at the kids pool that's what it's for. The entertainment staff at the pool became too loud and too pushy within the first few days. Also one tried selling us a crappy CD which I'm sure was not part of his job description. The entertainment on a few nights was ok but most nights disappointing.
The food was okay but very much the same thing everyday. I liked the restaurants but I think it was the same food only it is served like in a restaurant. I was missing regular food by the end of my stay. If you order room service be prepared to not get what you asked for.
If you need sunblock bring a lot it is sold for about 22$ a bottle and females bring your necessities because a box of 10 tampons is about 13$.
We had a few issues with the power going out an the safe not opening but for the most part is is a nice hotel and I would recommend it.
The spa services were wonderful and I would definitely check the spa and gym out.
Hope this helps and if you have a I phone or AT&T do not even turn it on you will connect to the network there and who knows what you will be charged. We got a throw away phone from a local and it worked out well.

• Stayed September 2012
10 Thank Sflemen
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Decided to do a last minute 'head for the hills' R&R, and due to timing, wound up going solo.

The Bavaro was a good choice for some things, and it definitely provided the necessary haven for a restful time.

Rooms were clean and luxurous, and cleaning staff were courteous, quiet, and consistent. I loved the touches provided: I travelled with toys I'd won at a fair so I could leave them for the cleaning staff for their children, and they incorporated them into the room fluffing somedays (see below), which always made me smile.

The property provided you access to the other Rius which were adjacent, except the Macau. Was surprised when I got there by this, and understand it's a recent change. I did go into and through the Macau, and did get served at the bar when I requested a drink, althought others I spoke to said they were denied service.

The facilities were great at Bavaro; the option to exercise in air conditioning seemed like a lure when I booked, but to be honest - all inclusive, 24 hour access to food and fun ... exercise wasn't in the cards!

Entertainment staff at Bavaro were almost frenetic, and the volume of the poolside activities was too intense for what I consider prime naptime. I also found the demographic of the guests at Bavaro quite a bit older, or newly engaged/absorbed couples, so wandered down the beach to the Bambu for the daytime entertainment. The entertainment staff there were more energetic, caring, and engaging, and the guests at the Bambu were more relaxed and inclusive.

The Disco warnings are all true; drinks were for a fee, and a cover charge of $3 was in place the night I went. By that time though, I was surrounded by people I'd met, and the good music and fun dancing obliterated the fact that drink prices seemed to vary throughout the evenings. Because I was staying at the Bavaro, we were only a 5 minute walk away, so went back to the bars at the Bavaro for free top-ups to avoid the hastle of carrying money while out and about.

It was nice to have the option to visit multiple properties, while returning to nice accomodations when it was time to sleep. Service requests like having room service delivered to the lobby while waiting for an early shuttle bus to the airport were accomodated with grace.

Food was standard Dominican resort fare, and attempts were made to make it modern and appealing. I still found myself craving hotsauce and curries, but I have to remember that living in a large diverse city has spoilt me.

In summary, here's the vibe of the different Riu properties I visited (my impression):
Macau - super sleepy, with a crowded beach front, and lots of older travellers poolside
Bavaro - middle of the line - one crowded pool, but with option for quieter pool for VIP upgrade. Best beach area.
Punta Cana - seemed older resort, but good balance of people/size.
Bambu - crowded by the main pool, but additional pool and kid area were both well used. Best entertainment staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Burghie
France
Reviewed 1 October 2012

After a 3 days stay at Punta Cana Dreams Palm Beach, we decided to extend our stay at the Riu Palace Bavaro, the last opened Bavaro hotel. What a good idea !
Even if the lobby looks a little bit like a Las Vegas hotel, kitsch and not refined at all, the good points arrive with the room design, contemporary with a simple luxury touch. The full minibar and the 4 full-bottles distributor of Gin, Vodka, Rhum and Whisky are a nice beginning. We chose a superior room/suite and we had no "vis-a-vis" and a nice sea view, even if in the furthest building from the beach. Good matress, very nice shower. The bath open on the bedroom and on the bathroom looks like a bad architect/designer choice in my opinion; but I think it is more an economic (one wall less to build) and marketing (the space looks bigger) choice than a client comfort option. We can easily forgive this.
The best surprise was the food quality at the buffet : incredible !!! I usually frankly refuse to eat at Buffet Restaurants for their bad quality, the noise of hundreds of persons queueing for food and a kind of food prepared in advance and waiting under infrared lights to be served. But since we arrived too late for reserving another "a la carte" restaurant, we had to dine at the Monte Cristo. I will just want to add that in 3 days, we did not reserve any other restaurant and had our meals there everyday. Point.
The ambiance of the restaurant was not the best, but quality and presentation were far better than all other all-inclusive restaurant I know; and the service was good.
The swimming pool area is a little bit "cold" and still lacks that the palms and trees grow.
The beach is very nice.
Be careful in the commercial street between this hotel and the adjacent Riu hotel : at the shop called "Todo para la playa"/"All for the beach", we chose 2 sunprotecting creams and they said (we are both speaking good spanish) with a very welcoming smile "we will make you a very special price" (like "a very good discount"), and they tried to charge us twice the regular price for those items in any street shop (we do live in the DR for years). We got them at almost the normal price (+150 RD$ instead of +1.400 RD$ !) at the next shop. This attitude should be prohibited by Riu inside their premises.
A very good choice; we will go back, even if we will also try other hotels next time !

2 Thank Patrick_JS
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make this vacation so memorable. Our room was always clean and the food was good. The best was relaxing on the beautiful beach! Our nights were brought to life by the Riu Animation Staff especially Maria and Tequila. My husband and I are not dancers but they had us on our feet and the best part was that we were enjoying it! We will certainly return next year and hope to bring the family along!

1 Thank Nora S