“Friendly Staff”

Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Ranked #56 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Staff were super friendly, my glass was never empty! The only thing is, they should make dinner reservations a bit easier. Is a hassle to have to get there and line up between just a couple of hours in the morning. Not the best food, but hotel has a great beach, awesome staff, and just loved the atmosphere.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room close to the stage where they have the night entertainment. You won't b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We just came back from Punta Cana. Sun, Sun, Sun, nothing but Sun. Wonderful !

But the Sun is God given and the Riu Palace Bavaro has noting to do with it. We might have been amazed by the weather, but we were not impressed by the resort. When we first arrived we were disappointed by the view from our balcony: a roof and the back road of the resort. We tried to upgrade it but they do not have oceanview with 2 beds. So we took the room they gave us because it was supposed to be quiet. It was until there was a wedding in the restaurant just underneath it. The next day we heard constant banging (it seems they were chipping some tiles or concrete) from 8h00 am to way past 10h00 pm.

Our fridge was not working for the first 3 days. We call the front desk 5 times with no result. One day our safe wouldn’t open. Since we had no luck by calling the front desk my husband decided to go to the reception to report our ``situation``. They said that the technician was on break and that he will come right after it. He came shortly after my husband came back and he opened our safe. We took advantage of having him around to report our dead fridge. He couldn’t fix it but said he will send someone. Finally, someone came when we were out. It was nice to be able to enjoy a cold beer or a Sprite, but unfortunately the fridge was never refilled. Luckily the bottles of water were always replaced.

One evening coming into the room, we had an unwanted visitor: a huge cockroach.

At the buffet, there is plenty of food and delicious fruits, but except for the pastas which are made on the spot, every thing is cold and the meat is stiff. The plates are burning hot though. They are probably hoping that the burning plate will heat the cold food ! We went to only one alacarte restaurant : the steakhouse. I had their surf and turf. The lobster tail seems like it had been cooked 3 days ago and cooked again that night. The steak was hard to cut and to chew, and my husband’s ribs were not cooked enough. Also, make sure to bring Immodium, my husband and I had diarrhoea.

The worst about this resort is the bad smells (yes plural because there are many). In the elevator and the hallway to our room it smells sewer. In the room, there is a strong smell of mold. It’s just awful in the closet and the drawers. There is also a constant hum of machine noise in our room.

It seems that they water the yards with human waste, and they do it in the middle of the afternoon when their guests are walking around and stepping in it. We are still asking ourselves why they don’t do it during the night. They have sprinklers, it should not be too hard to install a timer.

We asked at the front desk for a wake-up call the night before our departure. The phone never rang. It’s a good thing we set up the alarm on the clock. When we mentioned it to the front desk they showed us that our room number had been scratched which is supposed to mean that they called us.

Something different in this resort compare to others is the lack of music. There is no music in the lobby and in the restaurants, except the nights when the Trio Excelent was entertaining the guests. There is music only by the pool’s bar which can be very loud at times with the entertaining teams. It would be nice to have a soft ambiance Dominican music in the lobby and the restaurants.

Now, what we enjoy at this resort : there are plenty of very nice lounge chairs around the pool and at the beach. Even though there are no palapas on the beach, there is enough shade created by the coconut trees. The beach never seems overcrowded. The bedroom is spacious with a big shower, but the jacuzzi is cheap with only 3 jets on each side. The yards are gorgeous and very well kept. The spa is just amazing and the restrooms are kept cleaned. This is an environmentally friendly resort because they do not give small bottles of water to take to the beach or the pool. I just reuse an empty bottle of soda and fill it with water at the buffet, it does the same thing and help the planet.

We agree to say that the resort itself is a 5 stars : it’s a new resort, very luxurious inside and outside, but there is room for improvement to become a real 5 stars. Starting with the staff. We realize that they are very busy, and at times overwhelmed but it is not acceptable that some waiters and waitresses cut you off when you are walking. For lunch, we had to ask a waitress to clean a table for us. They all walked around us and saw us trying to find a table holding our plates, and nobody offered to help us. Once a waitress asked me if I wanted another cerveza. I said yes but the cerveza was never delivered. The empty plates are not picked up most of the time. Most of the employees do not smile, they don’t seem to enjoy to have us around; we don’t feel welcome. Some just don’t seem to see us at all.

This resort has a lot of potential to become one of the best in Punta Cana with an improved guests’ service, warmer food and a smiling staff. Also they really have to do something about the smells. It’s not pleasant to bring back home a mouldy and / or a sewer smell in our luggage.

Disappointed guests from Ontario, Canada

6  Thank advisor048
Reviewed 28 November 2013

There were 32 of us in total. We were down there for one of my cousin's wedding. The weather couldn't have been better. The staff at the Riu Palace Bavaro are exceptional. Everyone works hard there and they always had an "Ola" for you. Even though I got sick half way through the trip, I'd say the food was very good. There was a great variety of food at the buffet but they could have changed it up a bit. The a la carte restaurants were not as good as their Riu in the Bahamas, though. All in all, we couldn't really complain about the amount of food served to us. You would never starve there-that's for sure (24 hr food service). Our only beef were the rooms itself. They need a major overhaul. Some of the people in the wedding party got upgraded to a VIP room but was worse off. One room smelled like a public washroom and another was just plain nasty. A few of our people were shuffled around a few times before finding adequate accommodations. My husband and I decided to stay put since our room didn't smell funny and it looked clean. There were minor eyesores but nothing that affected our comfort. Housekeeping was great. They always delivered whatever I asked for and kept our room clean to my standards. The grounds and lobby as well as the rest of the resort was nice but they definitely need to upgrade the rooms itself. Wifi sucked in my room. I couldn't get on once. I was told that it worked well in the lobby and pool area-however.

Room Tip: My room was fine (with a garden view) 2019 and it's an end unit.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank trouble2012
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We got married at the Riu Macao 5 years ago, but decided to stay at the newest Riu Resort in the chain - the Bavaro - to celebrate our 5 year anniversary, which is right next to the Macao. The Bavaro is about 2 years old now. It's gorgeous. The pictures of the rooms don't lie. The staff are super friendly, the drinks never stop and the food is amazing. We stayed in the VIP area with our own pool shared with others staying in the VIP area as well. We could see the beach from our balcony. We plan to go back in 5 years to celebrate our 10 year anniversary.

2  Thank Lori E
Reviewed 21 November 2013

my sister and I spent 11 nights at the Riu Palace this last October. the saff were wonderfully accommodating and friendly,good idea to get plenty of 1 dollar pieces, because you will really want to tip all the staff, they are so good , In fact I can only think of positive things to comment on the hotel. The food was good, the entertainment team were great.
It was me first visit to the Dom rep , I will definately go again, and hopefully get to stay at the Palace.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gabriella10_13
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We just got back from this hotel and I must say it was amazing. The main pool bar staff was A+++. From Edwin and Santo to all the rest.....The rooms were unbelievable and so so clean... I swear you could eat off the floors in the hallway. The food choices were great and reservations very easy. the pool and entertainment staff was extremely attentive ....Miguel , sexy Bombon. Victoria and the rest of you ....you all made this trip very special ....thank you

Room Tip: we had a junior suite and were upgraded to a hot tub on the balcony.....it was dreamy actually fell...
1  Thank crystalChicago
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife and I went for a wedding last weekend to the RIU Palace Bavaro. Forty seven people in total.

Pros
Front desk staff is welcoming and friendly. The property is beautiful since it is only two years old. The lobby is grand , the rooms are clean and the grounds are well kept. We ended up in the VIP area of the resort which had its own pool and bar. Nice coffee bar in the lobby and a 24-hour sports bar. My wife used the Revova Spa which was excellent, Mirianny and Micheli were excellent and professional. My wife also took advantage of the hot and cold water pools. The night club, Pacha, is also on the premises but you have to pay for drinks. The highlight of our stay was the entertainment team (sexy black, sexy coco, camion, the ladies and their manager) they had energy from 8am to 12am, amazing bunch.
Cons
The food was mediocre in the buffet. Not much selection and not as indigenous as expected. The staff was welcoming however the service was sub par at best. One unfortunate thing I notice, since the wedding party and guest were so diverse, our white English speaking friends received better treatment than myself and a few others who are natives. The only time service got better was after I tipped. A few friends and myself sat for the second seating at the Italian restaurant which was a disaster. The food came out in 5min(not made to order nor was it made on the spot for that matter) and they were rushing us out after 30min, they tried taking my plate three times. The same happened at the pool bars and the night shows. One night a sever brought us a drink which was supposed to be jack Daniels but tasted like a terrible blend of liquors, I let the server know and she sent over the manager which assured us it was an original drink. As a Jack Daniels drinker I know it was not jack. Same incident happened at the sports bar. After that I asked for jack straight and observed them pouring it from the bottle. I was extremely disappointed and as a silver RIU class member will not be returning to this resort.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from theater area are quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank CarlosDRBronx