“Another Great Time”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Canada
“Another Great Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

This was our fourth time visiting the Grand Palladium. Me and my husband have stayed in the Punta Cana section twice, the Bavario section once and this last visit we stayed at the Royal Suites Turquesa.
This resort is four resorts in one: Punta Cana, Bavaro, Palace and Royal Suites.

First off we flew with Air Transat. Which was great.
Check in was quick.
Once we got to the hotel, we were upgraded to the Royal Suites Turquesa. This section of the resort is for adults only.

It offers:
Room Service (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner)
Large spacious rooms
Jacuzzi
Large balcony or terrace
Mini Bar, Iron, Coffee Maker
Free Internet
Air Conditioned Lobby
Butler Service
Your own restaurant to eat at

Me and my husband stayed for two weeks.
The beach is amazing. You can always find a beach chair.
The buffet at Palace and Bavaro serving breakfast and dinner have lots of variety of food.
The resort is huge and beautiful.
There is a train to bring you around the resort.
The sports centre offers mini golf, basketball, soccer, tennis....
Service at the Royal Suites is amazing. You never have to wait long.
There are several mini shops were you can buy souvenirs.
People are very friendly there.
The Mexican restaurant is amazing.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Isabel8030
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Dear Sirs,

we would like to thank you very much for your comment regarding your vacation at the Royal Suites Turquesa.

We were one of the lucky guests which were offered this upgrade to the Royal Suites. Congratulations. We hope that you did enjoy your stay and the several extra services we could offer you because the original booked category was not available.

We hope to be able to welcome you soon again in our complex.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

The food was top notch for an all inclusive. There is some construction going on, but nothing too invasive or inconvenient. The beach is impeccable although it can be hard to find a shady spot if you get up late. We would highly recommend ths resort to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Daphne K, Manager at Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2011
Dear Sirs,

we are very pleased to read you nice report about your vacation at the Grand Palladium Bávaro Resort & Spa and hope to be able to welcome you soon again in our facilities.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed at the GP Bavaro resort from July 15th to 29th and were a little underwhelmed in all honesty. Now I know that star ratings are different than what they are in England, this didnt meet the standards of a 5* in most places we have been. I will try and be complety honest throughout.

Pool & Beach
The beach was lovely and exactly what you would expect at a carribbean resort. It was a little difficult in a morning to get shaded sunbeds, but this seemed to ease as the day went on. The pool was ok and similar with regards to sunbeds. One reason we preferred the pool was that the waitresses served drinks throughout the day. One complaint I would have, is that despite the pool being fairly small, they had trouble keeping it clean. Actually, they didnt really try! Also, half way through the trip, the pool started to stain peoples shorts yellow (along with a yellow tide mark around the sides of the pool). Id advise that you do not wear white shorts! The service at the pool bar was very good and they always had a smile...Belise especially.

Rooms
We upgraded to the junior suite and were very pleased with the size of the room. The seperate bathroom had a large jacuzzi in the corner enough for two people. Rooms were generally clean though the headboards on both beds were covered in small bugs that went onto the beds and pillows. Not sure what they were but were smaller than ants. A couple of days, we werent left any towels and had to repeatedly ring reception as we were waiting to get showered. Also, the fittings could do with a refurb...light fittings were broken, shower head wouldnt stay up and shower door had a big gap at the bottom that meant the floor got wet through. Loved the bathrobes and slippers though!

Restaurants
The buffet was ok and there was always plenty of choice. They had an italian corner with pasta and pizza. They also had an american corner where they cooked steak, chops, fish and eggs to order. Al a carte restaurants were all nice apart from the asian, where we both picked up a stomach bug that lasted a couple of days. The Teppenyaki was very good, the steak at the italian was the best youll get and the brazilian was also very good. One major complaint we have, and one that the management need to address, is the booking rules. We were told that all restaurants were first come first served which we initially thought was better than other places we have been. Most of the time, if you got there close to opening, there wasnt a queue anyway. However, if you went later there was a bit of a wait. Now im all for waiting my turn if others were there earlier, however, numerous times we were asked "do you have a reservation?" and were told that reception could book them for us. To reception we went the next day only to be told that we couldnt book but that others could who were in Royal suites....fair enough. The next night we went to the italian early and were seated. At the point where they started giving out discs because they were "full", we counted 8 empty tables. Of the people that came in to be seated, 4 tables had Royal bands, the others had other colours....some even the same as ours. It seems that somehow, some are allowed to book and others not, which isnt very fair. Whether a backhanded dollar bill helped im not sure...but I suspect so as thats the only explanation

Bars
Our favourite was Hemingways cocktail bar with the piano player and card tables. This was air conditioned where the lobby bar wasnt and the latter got very hot at times. The service in both was very good and some of the cocktails were great.

Grounds
There were a number of building works going on that meant that the beach grill 'el arrecife' was closed for reservations. It would have been nice if it was open, but you cant really complain travelling in the off season. They have to do the work at some point and we were just unlucky.
Getting around the massive site was easy with the train service every 15 mins or so. We didnt realise until the second week that the guys on golf buggies also took you if you asked them nicely.

Summary
All in all it was a nice break, just the niggles detailed above that make the difference between a 4* and 5*. You at least expect the basics such as shower fittings and lights functioning properly and the pool being cleaned daily.

If I was to go to the Dominican Republic again, im sure that we'd be able to get something better for the price that we paid. The best part of the hotel....its choice of restaurants....you can get in a lot of the others as well.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank gaz2195
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for your comments in Tripadvisor.

We would like to apologize for not having found all our service at your aproval.

Regarding the reservations in a la carte restaurants we would like to point out that a parte of the guests from The Royal Suites Turquesa, VIP guests are able to do reservations as well.

We would like to asure you that all your suggestions are already forwarded to our corresponding departments to be proved.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again in our property and would like to suggest The Royal Suites Turquesa of your next stay.

Fort Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

We were there 7/26 thru 8/2/11. The resort has choice of numerous restaurants & buffets, pools, two with inpool bars others have pool bars, 2 theaters with nightly venues, spa, gym, disco, shops and sports bar. You never have to leave unless you want to go on an excursion, This large resort has a train that hits the stops every 15 minutes so you never have to walk! Beach is great. Sevice is awesome, although most employees don't speak English they know enough to understand or get someone that can. Guests are treated royally. Lots of ammenities for children.

Room Tip: There are no
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Sirs,

we would like to thank you very much for your comments here in Tripadvisor and glad to know that you vacation did meet your expectations.

The service on our guests is our biggest goal. Thank you for letting us know that we did reach it.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you soon again in our complex.

puntacanastodgo11
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was our second time going to the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa
Last year, the first time we went, it was great! However this year was bad.
We were there from July 20th to the 25th. The worst part of it was the service. A lot of the people that work there are rude and inefficient to say the least. The first day that we were there, I was supposed to call our land transportation to make a reservation to pick us up and I was not able to do it the first day because the reception area told me that it has to be done from the guest service desk (two desk away from the guy that I was talking to). When I went to the guest service the only girl that was there was having a personal conversation and I waited about 10 minutes. I left because we were going on a tour and they were waiting for me. Came back at 4:00 to make the call and I was told that the girl was out, to return at 5:00. At 5:15 came out of the beach to make the phone call the girl was not there. The next day, one of the manager was at the reception desk, she asked me if she could help me and then I was able to make the phone call from there. Another day, before I took a shower, I realized that our towels were all dirty so I went out of the room and saw a lady on the hall and asked her to please give me a couple of towers and she replied to me "that room does not belong to me, go to the reception and they will give you towels". At the reception a gentlemen made a phone call and told me that the towels will be in my room in a few minutes, two and a half hour later a lady came to the room with two extra towels after we took showers and use the dirty towels on the floor.
At the restaurant "Las Torres" and "El bohio" there are a lot of inefficient waiters and some of them act as if they were doing a favor to you. On the left side of the restaurant, you have to wait a lot for someone to come and bring you the silverware and whatever you decide to drink. One day, I waited about 20 minutes and it wasn't until I got up and talked to a manager that someone came to the table with the silverware and if course after that he had a bad attitude. If you happen to go anyways, at the restaurant "Las Torres" where breakfast is served daily, please sit on the right side of the restaurant where the efficient waiters are. On a daily basis, we had one of the big roaches in our bathroom but that was the least of our problem, the biggest thing was the BAD SERVICE! We will never go back, next year we will go to the Hard Rock Resort.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank puntacanastodgo11
Dear Sirs,

we would like to thank you for your comments in Tripadvisor.

We asure you that your experience is not a common one and that the big mayority of our guests is very happy with our service. Nevertheless we already informed all corresponding departments about your comments to be able to check every single point mentioned by you and to be able to keep improving our services on a daily base.

Our apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay and nevertheless we would like to welcome you again in our property to have the chance to convince you about our services.

MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Our stay at the Grand Palladium was nice but had its up and downs. We visited in the off season so the grounds were under construction which took away from the beauty of it all a little bit. But we spent most days on the beach which is wonderful. Nice soft sand, comfortable lounge chairs, breath taking views (especially the sun rises!). We had the typical island rain which lasted about 20 mins then cleared up, however it did knock the power out twice, which seemed odd since it wasn't storming or anything. The one time we watched TV we had the cable go out with a message related to missed payments ...again very sketchy but didnt affect us since we didnt watch much TV, and it was restored in a few hours. The one last negative thing ill say about the trip is.. we were encouraged to participate in resort activities at the pool everyday. We joined the group once, and when I went back to my lounge chair my camera was missing. There was no one sitting by us so I asked the same employees who had spoken English to me earlier that day now seemed unable to comprehend me. I went to the front desk and filed a complaint, a few calls were made, a few jokes were made at my expense (i can understand Spanish) and all the sudden my camera was found?! like magic the employee found it behind the counter! In the end l I was just happy they returned it, I am not one to let things ruin my vacation, and overall I had a very relaxing and beautiful trip. the food was some of the best ive ever eaten (especially the Japanese restaurant) and I would recommend going just watch your possessions!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank katefs
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for your comments regarding your vacation at the Grand Palladium Bávaro Resort & Spa.

We are happy to hear that you did enjoy your stay and were satisfyed with our services. Regarding the camara we would like to understand that it was found and honestly overhanded to the lost and found point at the front desk.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you soon again in our facilities.

Shrewsbury, Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We've just returned from our 3rd visit to this fantastic complex which hopefully speaks for itself. Previous visits Dec 05 and Apr 07.

This time was much quieter with plenty of sunbeds still available at 9 am - some in the shade - a nice surprise not to have to play the 6 am reservation game as previously.

The Bavaro pool now has an additional in built ledge with approx 30 sun loungers in the pool which we thought was a great addition. The floor surrounding the pool has also been changed and is no longer dangerously slippery. We wondered if the pool area was so quiet due to the nearby building work on the Arrecife restaurant - so were surprised to find one of the other pools screened off for renovation.

The building work (Arrecife and 10 accommodation blocks) is screened off with black netting and noise was minimal - it really didn't bother us at all and we spent most days by the pool side closest to the work.

The Japanese al la carte is a must - but be aware you need to queue up at 17.45 to book a Teppanyaki table for that evening - well worth doing. Brazilian a la carte was new to us - food was nothing special, but with all the a la cartes it's nice to be waited on and have a change of scene.

Several guys tried to sell us trips around the poolside and towel hut - remain friendly and polite and it is not a big deal. No sign of spa people trying to sell treatments or hair braiding this time.

Another welcome addition is the bike hire. We paid $5 each for 2 hours - which is plenty in the heat! We had great fun following the bike stand numbers around the complex (24 took some hunting!) and saw parts of the resort we missed on our last trips. The resort is big, but we did far more walking this time having figured out the shortcuts across the grass and using internal paths. We were in villa 48 which is central to the pool, beach, piano bar, lobby, restaurant, sports bar and shops.

The addition if wi-fi in the lobby and sports bar is excellent. Our iPhones updated emails just walking through the lobby to breakfast each morning. We'd like to see wi-fi in Hemmingways piano bar too. Hemmingways is great for plating cards and games while being able to have premium brand spirits and champagne. There are some games there but it would be good if the hotel invested a few dollars to buy some more games as these proved to be very popular. The piano guy is also very good - don't forget to leave a dollar or two in the pot on the piano as he does seem to get ignored with people engrossed in playing games!

The restaurants all now give you a squirt of hand gel as you enter - an excellent idea and saved us using our own (something we never travel without). One night there was a powercut as the evening buffet opened which lasted about an hour. Glad we took wind up torches with us as trying to get food in the dark was interesting to say the least!!
Disappointingly the waiters no longer seem to dress up for the theme nights eg for Italian night they used to wear red, White and green sashes etc.

The only real negative this time was the water sports. We went to take out canoes one morning and they ot had one in operation so we had to sit on the beach and wait our turn. It also meant as a family of 4 we couldn't go out together. The annoying thing is that there were further canoes on the beach! We've always found the watersports guys fine in the past - definitely got downhill and the life jackets stink.

We had 2 junior suites and a couple of times had to chase up for towels but they were there almost before we'd put the phone down. Another night there was no hot water and once reported it was fixed within half an hour. The rooms and bathrooms are beginning to look a bit shabby now - but hey that's why they are renovating the blocks! It was still great to come in from the pool/beach and wallow in a double spa bath!!

All in all, another fantastic holiday and we would go back again.

Flight - we paid for premier seating with Thomson and got a dated shabby First Choice plane - be aware that the seats are NOT wider as they are in Thomson planes and were really uncomfortable. The tray tables cone out of the seat arm and don't drop down in front if you - so you can't lift the arm rest up between the seats to give yourselves more room.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank HebandRich
Dear Sirs,

we would like to thank you very much for your reviews regarding your holiday at the Grand Palladium Bávaro Resort & Spa.

Our biggest goal is to fullfill the expectations of our guests and we are happy to learn that we did reach this objectiv during your vacation.

Please visit our property soon again to be able to create another nice experience with us.

Wtih best regards
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#61 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,069 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!